Bammer HUNH angst continues:

homersapien

Defensive players do expend more energy than offensive players for two reasons. One being the offensive players know where they are going, more energy is required to adjust by the defensive players. The second, that comes into line play, is that it costs less energy to redirect a object than to actually have to go through it..... blocking being a example.

Its more evident in sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, etc where you can actually watch a offensive use minimal effort and force a ton of work out of a defense through the use of passing.

I also think the main gripe about the HUNH is the offense's advantage of dictating who gets to substitute. The way the rules are, defenses are gambling if they substitute and the offense doesn't. That means the offense can just snap the ball before a defensive substitute can get off the field. The offense already has the advantage because they can decide to substitute or keep the same players on the field without getting a substitution penalty while the defense is at the mercy of the offense snapping the ball before they can get a player off the field.

I haven't seen any statistics but I bet with the HUNH offense there's been a huge jump in the number of defensive substitution penalties in the last 5 years.

I was just pointing that there is some legitimate science behind the claims. But in almost all sports it is part of the design and exploited. In fact its encouraged and applauded....pressure pressure pressure and cause the opponent to drop.

I'm with you, Saban doesn't like that it dictates what he does. He wants a classic game where he brings in specific packages and personnel, for specific situations, on specific down and distances, that have been tailored to what his opponent has demonstrated on film time after time. Traditionally I think its safe to say that due to the athletes he has, his ability to game plan, and the reputed complexity of his defense a majority of teams, even though on offense, have had to react to what he did. Teams that HUNH, and do it well, force him to have to react to them and he really isn't comfortable doing it.

Damn, the HUNH sounds like one hellava dangerous offense:

:rolleyes:

(Post #42)

Based on the writings of the man who originally developed the HUNH concept, the purpose is to take strength, size and speed out of the equation and replace it with fatigue management. His purpose was to create hydration deficiency and muscular fatigue. The result would be to remove those bigger, stronger, faster player from the ability to impact the game.

Loss of hydration causes a loss of elasticity in the structures that allow the joints to move and maintain stability. Loss of hydration causes the crainial structures the support the brain to lose elasticity needed to softly retard the effect of sharp changes in direction or speed of the brain within the skull. Loss of hydration causes the muscles to cramp and in doing so pull the joints out of ideal alignment.

In a violent collision sport any one of those items will cause a sharp increase of the likelihood of an injury.

What a load of rhetorical garbage. They make it sound as if HUNH drives last hours upon hours, causing defensive players to be "stuck" on the field for untold periods of time..gasping for air and water, on the verge of death. Such BS.

I'll say this one more time. I'll guarantee you practices at any school, BAMA included are a hell of a lot tougher than a single HUNH drive ever thought about being. Yet I don't see the first bama fan telling the coaches to tone it down. In fact, after 34-28 I'd be willing to bet they are screaming to turn it up!

I refuse to look...waste of time. Gumps talk out both sides of their mouth. The issues like always will be settled on the field. Bama keeps playing weak non conference games where the literally smash their opponents. As a coach for a team like Georgia Southern, etc, I would submit that he is placing his players in harms way.

Defensive players do expend more energy than offensive players for two reasons. One being the offensive players know where they are going, more energy is required to adjust by the defensive players. The second, that comes into line play, is that it costs less energy to redirect a object than to actually have to go through it..... blocking being a example.

Its more evident in sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, etc where you can actually watch a offensive use minimal effort and force a ton of work out of a defense through the use of passing.

I also think the main gripe about the HUNH is the offense's advantage of dictating who gets to substitute. The way the rules are, defenses are gambling if they substitute and the offense doesn't. That means the offense can just snap the ball before a defensive substitute can get off the field. The offense already has the advantage because they can decide to substitute or keep the same players on the field without getting a substitution penalty while the defense is at the mercy of the offense snapping the ball before they can get a player off the field.

I haven't seen any statistics but I bet with the HUNH offense there's been a huge jump in the number of defensive substitution penalties in the last 5 years.

I'm pretty sure the rules have changed such that the defense has an opportunity to substitute if the offense chooses to substitute, so it's really not that big of an advantage.

I was just pointing that there is some legitimate science behind the claims. But in almost all sports it is part of the design and exploited. In fact its encouraged and applauded....pressure pressure pressure and cause the opponent to drop.

I'm with you, Saban doesn't like that it dictates what he does. He wants a classic game where he brings in specific packages and personnel, for specific situations, on specific down and distances, that have been tailored to what his opponent has demonstrated on film time after time. Traditionally I think its safe to say that due to the athletes he has, his ability to game plan, and the reputed complexity of his defense a majority of teams, even though on offense, have had to react to what he did. Teams that HUNH, and do it well, force him to have to react to them and he really isn't comfortable doing it.

Translation: "If I can't play with my toys AND your toys when and where I want to, then I am leaving the sandbox and going home." And he may even be muttering under his own breath like the little girl used to tell me in a huff, "I'm going home and tell ON MY MOMMY." :jossun:

The Bammers will REALLY love this, if they keep whining. They'll see it everywhere they go. And it will be a plethora of "heaping SECONDS." ("Please sir, may I have another?")

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/auburn-fast-billboard-campaign/

auburn-fast.jpg

They can whine and complain all they want. It isn't going to change a single thing. The HUNH and all the different variations of it are here to stay. They can either adapt or get left behind.

I vote for "left behind."

:wareagle:

They can whine and complain all they want. It isn't going to change a single thing. The HUNH and all the different variations of it are here to stay. They can either adapt or get left behind.

Well it seems like they will be adapting because they somehow got a commitment from a "DualThreat" qb. Lol. It's funny how the bammers were against this offense and now they are now recruiting players they normally don't think twice about. Gus has already beat them before the game has been played, and I Love it!!

Yes, that is an advantage to the offense, as is the offense controlling the snap count and when the play starts...but that is offset by the defense's advantage of being able to move and adjust freely after the offense is set.

That's a different situation though. It's not the same. The offense still gets to line up. The offense can shift one player at a time, like a fullback or tight end. It doesn't affect their ability to substitute and get certain players on the field. The subsitutions on defense have to do with being able to get players on and off the field.

The HUNH isn't even really about X's and O's. It's about getting the defense out of position before the ball is even snapped. It's doesn't take much coaching to try and keep players from getting off the field. It's like flopping in basketball. It's trying to draw a penalty without executing anything. Anyone can snap the ball while someone is trying to get off the field, it doesn't take much skill.

Defenses are just going to have to come up with new packages so they don't have to substitue players as much and they can keep the same players on the field for different defensive alignments. If you're Alabama you want to stop Auburn on 1st down and make it 2nd and long. That will slow the pace down to allow you to substiute. Saban should just quit trying to get the rules changed. I can see both sides of the argument but Saban just needs to quit complaining to the NCAA. But that's what he does best. Even when he wins he's got to complain about something.

I think you mean MOTION not shift. A shift is totally different and can be 2 or more players

Yes, that is an advantage to the offense, as is the offense controlling the snap count and when the play starts...but that is offset by the defense's advantage of being able to move and adjust freely after the offense is set.

That's a different situation though. It's not the same. The offense still gets to line up. The offense can shift one player at a time, like a fullback or tight end. It doesn't affect their ability to substitute and get certain players on the field. The subsitutions on defense have to do with being able to get players on and off the field.

The HUNH isn't even really about X's and O's. It's about getting the defense out of position before the ball is even snapped. It's doesn't take much coaching to try and keep players from getting off the field. It's like flopping in basketball. It's trying to draw a penalty without executing anything. Anyone can snap the ball while someone is trying to get off the field, it doesn't take much skill.

Defenses are just going to have to come up with new packages so they don't have to substitue players as much and they can keep the same players on the field for different defensive alignments. If you're Alabama you want to stop Auburn on 1st down and make it 2nd and long. That will slow the pace down to allow you to substiute. Saban should just quit trying to get the rules changed. I can see both sides of the argument but Saban just needs to quit complaining to the NCAA. But that's what he does best. Even when he wins he's got to complain about something.

I think you mean MOTION not shift. A shift is totally different and can be 2 or more players

Yes. My bad. Motion is what I was trying to say but I said shift. I got mixed up on that.

Archived