QB dominos (Get The Popcorn ready)

ellitor

If we miss out on KL, DF, and TG are there any more qbs we would take in 2015, or do we wait til 2016 and just go with TQ?

Lamar Jackson then just go with one QB. Jason Smith will get his shot at QB.

I am not sure Jackson is a take right now. JMO, but it may be Francois or wait till next year at this point. Not sure how our staff feels about Gibson now. There seems to be a lot of fluidity regarding Gibson these days.

I don't think Jackson is a take at the moment. IMO, if Francois commits to FSU or Oregon then Auburn will wait and see if Jason Smith finish out with breakout season as QB at MGCCC.

I sort of doubt the whole Smith playing QB at AU thing. Smith is a great Athlete. AU really likes the ides of playing great athletes at the WR position, (look at Bray, Lewis, Uzomah, Truitt, and even McGriff in this class)

We are completely stacked at QB right now. Lots of college football services are saying we are too. We need talent at WR. I think Jason will be terrific at AU. I think he will play the Lewis/Bray position.

Lewis who?

Yes, Louis. Sometimes typing on an iPad can screw things up.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we miss out on KL, DF, and TG are there any more qbs we would take in 2015, or do we wait til 2016 and just go with TQ?

I am not sure Jackson is a take right now. JMO, but it may be Francois or wait till next year at this point. Not sure how our staff feels about Gibson now. There seems to be a lot of fluidity regarding Gibson these days.

I don't think Jackson is a take at the moment. IMO, if Francois commits to FSU or Oregon then Auburn will wait and see if Jason Smith finish out with breakout season as QB at MGCCC.

I sort of doubt the whole Smith playing QB at AU thing. Smith is a great Athlete. AU really likes the ides of playing great athletes at the WR position, (look at Bray, Louis, Uzomah, Truitt, and even McGriff in this class)

We are completely stacked at QB right now. Lots of college football services are saying we are too. We need talent at WR. I think Jason will be terrific at AU. I think he will play the Lewis/Bray position.

I sort of doubt the whole Smith playing QB at AU thing. Smith is a great Athlete. AU really likes the ides of playing great athletes at the WR position, (look at Bray, Lewis, Uzomah, Truitt, and even McGriff in this class)

All due respect, I don't see how anybody can look at Marshall's success this past season combined with the style of QBs we have on deck and not think that a Smith or a Gibson won't get a shot if we don't pull Francois or another similarly athletic QB in this class. I'm vehemently opposed to this idea that Gus needs a dual-threat QB, but I think that he's going to want to keep his options open (pun semi-intended), especially after this past year.

Also, I realize that JJ, White and Queen are all mobile guys- I'm huge on White's ability to avoid contact while keeping his shoulders squared downfield- but I wouldn't put any of them quite in the same athletic category as Marshall or what I've heard Smith and Gibson are. Could be wrong, though.

EDIT: Meant to add that 3-deep at QB- assuming JJ, White and Queen after this year- isn't completely stacked IMO. I'd call it adequate, especially when none of those guys are in the same class (and there's effectively going to be 2 years between JJ and White, if White redshirts this season).

Very disappointed in you JFD. -5 internet points.

So sorry. I just punished my iPad.

All due respect, I don't see how anybody can look at Marshall's success this past season combined with the style of QBs we have on deck and not think that a Smith or a Gibson won't get a shot if we don't pull Francois or another similarly athletic QB in this class. I'm vehemently opposed to this idea that Gus needs a dual-threat QB, but I think that he's going to want to keep his options open (pun semi-intended), especially after this past year.

Also, I realize that JJ, White and Queen are all mobile guys- I'm huge on White's ability to avoid contact while keeping his shoulders squared downfield- but I wouldn't put any of them quite in the same athletic category as Marshall or what I've heard Smith and Gibson are. Could be wrong, though.

EDIT: Meant to add that 3-deep at QB- assuming JJ, White and Queen after this year- isn't completely stacked IMO. I'd call it adequate, especially when none of those guys are in the same class (and there's effectively going to be 2 years between JJ and White, if White redshirts this season).

It is pretty stacked considering we feel good about all those guys hitting field. Ask BAMA and LSU how many QB' s they have confidence in right now.

A huge number of teams do not even have a 2nd team QB they feel confidence with. I'll take our Marshall, JJ, and White any day or the week over almost any other teams stable of QB's. Saying our QB stable is adequate is really setting the bar high.

Well in fairness I'd say we feel good about 2 QBs right now and most would not feel good about White getting significant minutes because he is a freshman. So assuming White does redshirt this year we'll really only have 1 QB we feel good about and that is JJ. White will be a ? because no one will have seen him play and Queen will be a true freshmen. But the fact that we have a backup QB that we feel good about does put us in better position than about 70% of the teams out there.

Well in fairness I'd say we feel good about 2 QBs right now and most would not feel good about White getting significant minutes because he is a freshman. So assuming White does redshirt this year we'll really only have 1 QB we feel good about and that is JJ. White will be a ? because no one will have seen him play and Queen will be a true freshmen. But the fact that we have a backup QB that we feel good about does put us in better position than about 70% of the teams out there.

Much of what I was thinking. And I'll agree with that 70% number. Unfortunately, half our schedule fits in the other 30%.

As for us feeling good about most of our kids hitting the field: I imagine that bama felt pretty good about Sims and Bateman, just like we felt good about Trotter, Burns, Frazier, Rollison, Pike...

EDIT: That last part was responding to JFD. And I want to add that I think we're in as good a shape as we could possibly hope to be. I think we have studs on deck. I just want a little more insurance.

Much of what I was thinking. And I'll agree with that 70% number. Unfortunately, half our schedule fits in the other 30%.

As for us feeling good about most of our kids hitting the field: I imagine that bama felt pretty good about Sims and Bateman, just like we felt good about Trotter, Burns, Frazier, Rollison, Pike...

EDIT: That last part was responding to JFD. And I want to add that I think we're in as good a shape as we could possibly hope to be. I think we have studs on deck. I just want a little more insurance.

I get it and I want more too. (if it is Francois, esp.)

Very disappointed in you JFD. -5 internet points.

So sorry. I just punished my iPad.

Been there. :-\

• 5 months later...

With Ohio State Offensive Coordinator Tom Herman leaving to take over as head coach at Houston, Torrance Gibson immediately de-committed from Ohio State. It's awfully late in the recruiting season for him to return to the churn, especially since a lot of teams (including Auburn) got pretty tired of his antics the first time around and moved on.

But it doesn't change the fact that he's a fine athlete. Wondering where the kid will land.

Rats! What am I going to do with all this popcorn?

Make garland. 'Tis the season.

• 4 weeks later...

AL.com thinks we are relevant again for Torrance Gibson. I hope they are wrong. I don't want a Jameis Winston type player on this team, and would rather not have him than have a player who will make the nation cheer against us.

AL.com thinks we are relevant again for Torrance Gibson. I hope they are wrong. I don't want a Jameis Winston type player on this team, and would rather not have him than have a player who will make the nation cheer against us.

Do you know anything at all about Torrance? What makes you think for a second he's anything like Jameis Winston (who Auburn almost landed at one point)?

Do you know anything at all about Torrance? What makes you think for a second he's anything like Jameis Winston (who Auburn almost landed at one point)?

Story came out over the summer that TG was very disrespectful to UT coaches. For example he supposedly ordered this expemsive room service dinner and tried to charge it to the coaches and wouldn't pay it himself. AU and UT backed off shortly after. That's the story, might not be true but i dont know.

Story came out over the summer that TG was very disrespectful to UT coaches. For example he supposedly ordered this expemsive room service dinner and tried to charge it to the coaches and wouldn't pay it himself. AU and UT backed off shortly after. That's the story, might not be true but i dont know.

I do remember that, but from what I remember there were other reasons that I can't say as to why we backed off. Doesn't mean he'll be anything like JW and the kid is a hell of an athlete. I know that much.

I have read nothing that indicates Gibson would be anything like Rapeis Jameis. But are you proud that we almost (not really almost since Troopa did what Troopa did causing us to back off and we were out of it with quickness after that) landed Rapeis?

wde

First off, F$U can't play all 3 of those top QB's recruits that's committed to them. Second, I Wonder how F$U is going to keep all 3 of those QB's happy during the next 3 to 4 years.

Archived