QB dominos (Get The Popcorn ready)

ellitor

Dormady, Barnett keep the QB carousel moving

http://247sports.com/Article/Domino-effect-Quinten-Dormady-Blake-Barnett-cause-movement-29062305

The moving pieces of the quarterback recruiting puzzle continue to shift and there have been more big movements over the past few days. It’s time for another look at the quarterback dominos.

Quinten Dormady opted for Tennessee on Monday night after narrowing it down to the Vols and Alabama.

Notre Dame – The Irish lost their long time quarterback commit Blake Barnett who decommitted following a visit to Oregon and looks destined to become a Duck. The Irish promptly extended offers to Texas Tech commit Jarrett Stidham and Top100 passer Travis Waller. The most likely commitment of the two would seem to be Waller who has narrowed his choices to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Northwestern and Alabama.

Oregon – With Barnett’s decommitment from Notre Dame, the Ducks have focused their attention on him and have let the Waller ship sail. This likely means rising star Sam Darnold is also a pass for Oregon.

Alabama – Alabama extended an offer recently to Texas four-star Quinten Dormady but the Tide was a little late to the party and on Monday night Dormady committed to Tennessee where he had a stronger relationship in place. Now Alabama seems to be slowly creeping up the list for Waller and is becoming a viable threat to land him. The only other quarterback currently on the radar for the Tide looks to be Barnett. He’ll visit but remains an Oregon lean. The Tide remain among the favorites for the top quarterback in 2016, Jacob Eason, and with him keeping a close eye on depth chart, the Tide may not force the issue on a passer they don’t love.

Tennessee – Tennessee can breathe a big sigh of relief with the commitment of Dormady on Monday night. For a program in desperate need of depth at the quarterback position, Tennessee was running out of options for elite passers in the 2015 cycle. The only negative to that Dormady commitment is that it hurts the Vols in their Torrance Gibson hunt. Auburn could be slowly taking the edge for the athletic lefty.

Florida State – The Seminoles likely lead for four-star IMG Academy quarterback Deondre Francois. They also are trending for four-star Kai Locksley. With De’Andre Johnson already committed, Florida State is going to take one more quarterback and it will likely be whomever commits first between Locksley and Francois. At this point, that is looking like a coin flip.

Auburn – Auburn still is in good shape for Torrance Gibson, though he may doesn’t seem to be any closer to making a decision. But what happens if Locksley commits to Florida State? The Tigers would then be the probable leader for Francois. If Francois decides to pull the trigger for Auburn (or if Locksley does for that matter), where would that leave the Tigers for Gibson? Auburn would have two four-star quarterbacks with Tyler Queen already committed and suddenly Ohio State would be back in the Torrance Gibson game.

Ohio State – The Buckeyes recently landed a commitment from four-star Joe Burrow but continue to recruit Gibson as their second quarterback. Ohio State also remains within the final four for Travis Waller. If Gibson starts to trend towards Ohio State, expect Travis Waller to head elsewhere with Notre Dame, Northwestern and Alabama being his other finalists.

Northwestern – The Wildcats are much more of a player in the Waller sweepstakes than most realize. Pat Fitzgerald and his staff have the longest relationship with Waller among his finalists and they offer academic prestige that he seeks. But should Waller end up at Notre Dame or Alabama, Northwestern’s attention would turn directly towards Sam Darnold in San Clemente, Calif. Jason Pellerin out of Louisiana was the other favorite of the Northwestern staff but after his recent commitment to Ole Miss, Darnold and Waller remain.

Cincinnati – That recent commitment by Pellerin to Ole Miss meant that the Rebels were opting for Pellerin over four-star Ross Trail. Trail would have likely committed had he landed the offer that Pellerin got. Now Cincinnati looks like the benefactor and has positioned itself to nab a commitment out of Trail.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allie Davidson reporting the same.

I dont follow her. But it's 100% true.

Funny thing is her tweet was the same as your post word for word. lol

FWIW I posted 3 minutes before she did.

I don't know if I have ever seen this kind of qb situation before. It almost resembles the NFL Draft in the way one pick affects multiple teams.

I don't know if I have ever seen this kind of qb situation before. It almost resembles the NFL Draft in the way one pick affects multiple teams.

It happens with QBs every year. Usually a bit more spread out than this though.

This QB race is really keeping the "dead zone of football news" exciting as ever. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

Travis Waller, 4 Star DT QB, just committed to the University of Oregon. Link, 247Sports, Free Content. (ETA: Content also posted in Dre Francois thread)

Note: Oregon was in the top 3 for 4 Star DT QB Dre Francois, which I'm guessing means that it's down to us and FSU for Dre.

Note: Oregon was in the top 3 for 4 Star DT QB Dre Francois, which I'm guessing means that it's down to us and FSU for Dre.

Does not eliminate Oregon. All 3 of his finalists have a QB committed and all are taking 2 if they're the right 2. With that said it looks to be a toss up between AU and FSU.

A lot of sentiment for Locksley to the Terps. If that happens, wouldn't shock me to see Dre to FSU. Like E said in another post, we're going to have to beat FSU straight up to get him.

A lot of sentiment for Locksley to the Terps. If that happens, wouldn't shock me to see Dre to FSU. Like E said in another post, we're going to have to beat FSU straight up to get him.

Agreed, it may be tough. At best I give this a Bird 50-50 chance.

If we miss out on KL, DF, and TG are there any more qbs we would take in 2015, or do we wait til 2016 and just go with TQ?

If we miss out on KL, DF, and TG are there any more qbs we would take in 2015, or do we wait til 2016 and just go with TQ?

Lamar Jackson then just go with one QB. Jason Smith will get his shot at QB.

I was just reading about L Jackson and it seems his stock has been rising of late. Forgot about J Smith, but doesn't he still have court ahead?

Completely unprofessional opinion, but we appear to be in pretty good shape for some really good 2016 QBs. gaines should commit soon, and I would like to see us go after Patterson

I am not sure Jackson is a take right now. JMO, but it may be Francois or wait till next year at this point. Not sure how our staff feels about Gibson now. There seems to be a lot of fluidity regarding Gibson these days.

I am not sure Jackson is a take right now. JMO, but it may be Francois or wait till next year at this point. Not sure how our staff feels about Gibson now. There seems to be a lot of fluidity regarding Gibson these days.

I don't think Jackson is a take at the moment. IMO, if Francois commits to FSU or Oregon then Auburn will wait and see if Jason Smith finish out with breakout season as QB at MGCCC.

I don't think Jackson is a take at the moment. IMO, if Francois commits to FSU or Oregon then Auburn will wait and see if Jason Smith finish out with breakout season as QB at MGCCC.

I sort of doubt the whole Smith playing QB at AU thing. Smith is a great Athlete. AU really likes the ides of playing great athletes at the WR position, (look at Bray, Lewis, Uzomah, Truitt, and even McGriff in this class)

We are completely stacked at QB right now. Lots of college football services are saying we are too. We need talent at WR. I think Jason will be terrific at AU. I think he will play the Lewis/Bray position.

Is it really a long shot we pull Francois from FSU? I may be reading too far into this, but he took one visit to Auburn and cancelled two visits? That's gotta be a good sign right? I haven't seen him saying the greatest things about FSU like he has with Auburn. Am I missing something?

Is it really a long shot we pull Francois from FSU? I may be reading too far into this, but he took one visit to Auburn and cancelled two visits? That's gotta be a good sign right? I haven't seen him saying the greatest things about FSU like he has with Auburn. Am I missing something?

We are out of state and were a little bit later to the table than FSU. Not a large gap, but still just as easy of a chance he stays home if Kai goes to Maryland.

I sort of doubt the whole Smith playing QB at AU thing. Smith is a great Athlete. AU really likes the ides of playing great athletes at the WR position, (look at Bray, Lewis, Uzomah, Truitt, and even McGriff in this class)

We are completely stacked at QB right now. Lots of college football services are saying we are too. We need talent at WR. I think Jason will be terrific at AU. I think he will play the Lewis/Bray position.

Lewis who?

1. Some feel it's a toss up FWIW but safe money is on FSU especially since they likely get the last visit before he commits. 2. Yeah, that would bee too much reading in this case. UT was done at QB and tOSU was only taking TG as another QB at that time. Was not a take for either school so like Dre said no point in wasting the gas.

We are out of state and were a little bit later to the table than FSU. Not a large gap, but still just as easy of a chance he stays home if Kai goes to Maryland.

Just reading the tea leaves here but I don't think Kai is a factor for AU or FSU anymore. Looks like Maryland and Texas.

Archived