QB dominos (Get The Popcorn ready)

ellitor

While recognizing the relative importance of the QB in all systems, if you were looking for a weakness in CGM's offensive system, it might be the necessity of having a very good QB to make it work. We need all we can sign.

(And I wouldn't mind seeing more than one get significant playing time either.)

Huh?

This will be Malzahn's 9th season in college football. This will be the first time he's had a returning starter. Out of the previous 7 starters, Cam Newton is the only one who made it to the NFL. Gus set records with such giants of the sport as Paul Smith, David Johnson, Chris Todd and Ryan Aplin- all pretty good players, but probably none as good as that most famous of game managers, AJ McCarryAClipboard. For crying out loud, he took us to the national championship game with a QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for most of the season.

And Gus's system doesn't require more of a QB than any other system. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Our playbook is incredibly simple compared to most. The QB only has one read on most of our passing plays. In fact, other posters here have made a good case that the simplicity of Gus's offense is its biggest weakness, because it doesn't prepare QBs for the NFL (and its much more sophisticated offenses).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While recognizing the relative importance of the QB in all systems, if you were looking for a weakness in CGM's offensive system, it might be the necessity of having a very good QB to make it work. We need all we can sign.

Huh?

This will be Malzahn's 9th season in college football. This will be the first time he's had a returning starter. Out of the previous 7 starters, Cam Newton is the only one who made it to the NFL. Gus set records with such giants of the sport as Paul Smith, David Johnson, Chris Todd and Ryan Aplin- all pretty good players, but probably none as good as that most famous of game managers, AJ McCarryAClipboard. For crying out loud, he took us to the national championship game with a QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for most of the season.

And Gus's system doesn't require more of a QB than any other system. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Our playbook is incredibly simple compared to most. The QB only has one read on most of our passing plays. In fact, other posters here have made a good case that the simplicity of Gus's offense is its biggest weakness, because it doesn't prepare QBs for the NFL (and its much more sophisticated offenses).

OK, OK, we don't really need a multi-dimensional QB to optimize our system. We should also be looking for drop-back passers that can't run and good runners that can't pass.

After all, it doesn't matter a whit to Gus. :-\

Is that better?

Nice write up ellitor!! These are the kinds of things I enjoy reading the most.

Yes!! I love these things as well! Thanks E, I would feel lost without your efforts. My gratitude also goes out to Wde, Cameron crazy, Dixie, and the other dedicated Auburn men that contribute to this site!

Huh?

OK, OK, we don't really need a multi-dimensional QB to optimize our system. We should also be looking for drop-back passers that can't run and good runners that can't pass.

After all, it doesn't matter a whit to Gus. :-\

Is that better?

It's obvious that we should be looking for as good a QB as we can get, just like we should at every single position on the field. But "if you were looking for a weakness in CGM's offensive system", it absolutely would not be "the necessity of having a very good QB to make it work." Gus has proven- as recently as this past fall- that he can field the best offense in the country with just about any flavor of QB you can come up with. To suggest that his ability to adapt to the strengths of his personnel- as he did quite plainly and obviously, and at opposite ends of the spectrum, in both 2009 and 2013- is actually a weakness is pretty befuddling.

Looping back to the OT, the beauty of this crop of guys we're choosing from is that Gus could be successful with any of them, as long as they have the right stuff between the ears, they can stay healthy and they can be afforded the protection of a good offensive line. I feel quite optimistic about that last one, and all coaches and fanbases just have to keep their fingers crossed about the other two.

Whole bunch of Vol banter that a commitment tonight is eminent. Gibson is now trending, since he is still on campus.

Also, holland just arrived at UT.

Whole bunch of Vol banter that a commitment tonight is eminent. Gibson is now trending, since he is still on campus.

Volnation just quoted this post lol. Their TG thread is ridiculous.

We'll be fine with Holland, Gibson on the other hand is a different story. Also just looked at Volnation's TG thread and my god they worship him. It's almost stalking.

FWIW UT message boards and Crystal Balls are trending Dormady. If that happens then that puts AU in prime position for the Kai/Francois loser in the FSU QB Sweepstakes or Gibby.

FWIW UT message boards and Crystal Balls are trending Dormady. If that happens then that puts AU in prime position for the Kai/Francois loser in the FSU QB Sweepstakes or Gibby.

The VolNation TG thread has been trending that way for anyone who wants to read it. Lots of fighting going on within the fan base on that board.

If Dormady commits to UT and the Vols take his commitment, TG is ours for the taking IMO. TG wants the spotlight and that's not a bad thing, but with UT already having Jennings and potentially getting Dormady, I think it puts AU in a good spot with TG.

If Dormady commits to UT and the Vols take his commitment, TG is ours for the taking IMO. TG wants the spotlight and that's not a bad thing, but with UT already having Jennings and potentially getting Dormady, I think it puts AU in a good spot with TG.

It does, but I think then it'd be an AU-tOSU battle, would it not?

I get that all of these guys are elite, maybe is it just me but it kind of rub me the wrong way that we get the guy left hanging from FSU and UT. Yes FSU just had a Heisman winner, but UT has been irrelevant since the early 2000s. On top of that Auburn had a Heisman wining QB not all that long ago.

Absolutely. Pretty sure he's going with Holland to Ohio State tomorrow, which is why Holland is in Knoxville now. I think Dormady commits to UT in about 10 minutes, while TG is on campus, and TG is on his way out of Knoxville in the morning and never looks back at the old Volunteers.

I get that all of these guys are elite, maybe is it just me but it kind of rub me the wrong way that we get the guy left hanging from FSU and UT. Yes FSU just had a Heisman winner, but UT has been irrelevant since the early 2000s. On top of that Auburn had a Heisman wining QB not all that long ago.

I don't think we're getting the guy left hanging from UT. I think that they got left hanging with Gibson (or could see the writing on the wall) so they went ahead and locked up a commitment so they'd have a QB in this class.

If Dormady commits to UT and the Vols take his commitment, TG is ours for the taking IMO.

Not neccesarily. TOSU is still lurking and he has never even visited there yet. Another potential factor down the line is Gibby is a Huge Miami fan and his HS coach is a big time Cane guy so Gibby could easily be pushed in that direction in the end, especially if we have already taken Kai or Francois.

If Dormady commits to UT and the Vols take his commitment, TG is ours for the taking IMO.

Not neccesarily. TOSU is still lurking and he has never even visited there yet. Another potential factor down the line is Gibby is a Huge Miami fan and his HS coach is a big time Cane guy so Gibby could easily be pushed in that direction in the end, especially if we have already taken Kai or Francois.

Biggest issue with Gibson going to the U is the scheme. He is not polished enough of a passer to be elite in that system, and unless Al Golden is willing to completely change his offense for 1 player, I don't see him going there.

I was under the impression Gibson is done in Florida because no school runs the offense he wants to play in, in FL.

Absolutely. Pretty sure he's going with Holland to Ohio State tomorrow, which is why Holland is in Knoxville now. I think Dormady commits to UT in about 10 minutes, while TG is on campus, and TG is on his way out of Knoxville in the morning and never looks back at the old Volunteers.

Holland is only in UT right now cuz the Jax boys are in a 7 on 7 tourney there now. Has nothing to do w/ Gibby. I have not seen anything about Gibby or Holland going to tOSU tomorrow.

Biggest issue with Gibson going to the U is the scheme. He is not polished enough of a passer to be elite in that system, and unless Al Golden is willing to completely change his offense for 1 player, I don't see him going there.

Actually the biggest issue right now is they are only recruiting him as a WR.

Holland is only in UT right now cuz the Jax boys are in a 7 on 7 tourney there now. Has nothing to do w/ Gibby. I have not seen anything about Gibby or Holland going to tOSU tomorrow.

Just what I've been reading on other boards. Nothing official yet. Should've specified.

The dominos are not a left hanging deal. It's a decision date domino deal.

Just what I've been reading on other boards. Nothing official yet. Should've specified.

If you don't read it from a recruiting mod on another board pay it no mind. Also Gibson is expected to stay in UT through tomorrow per a free post by Keith Niebuhr from AUC.

Actually the biggest issue right now is they are only recruiting him as a WR.

Was not aware of that. My apologies.

Welp, so much for quitting my day-job. :dunno:

Archived