A liberal's "Aw Sh@t" Moment

AFTiger

I am struggling with the pity party. This woman is about to get PAID!

Who's asking for pity? And, no she's about to PAY.

There should be no pity. She cast votes that led to increased taxes. Actions have conscientious Sometimes there are unintended conscientious. Not sure we can purely attribute her votes to the increased property values but the public investment led to higher property values that priced her out of her own neighborhood. Rather ironic from both political views

You don't understand the dynamics at play here. The issue is not the tax rate or a couple of votes for schools, etc. There's a ton of money in that town and folks that want to live in that area who will pay ridiculous money for what originated as modest working class houses. Her taxes didn't go up 12% in one year because of any vote she made years ago or the district schools. The exorbitant increases have everything to do with appraisal values. It's an absurd system when an appraiser can cause your taxes to double in 8 years when nothing about your circumstances has changed, at least for the better . I suspect like most folks, her income has been comparatively flat during that period. This should be an issue that is non-partisan but since she's been labeled a liberal, you guys trip over each other to find her at fault.

It's a shame. Property taxes shouldn't exist once you own property in my opinion.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be no pity. She cast votes that led to increased taxes. Actions have conscientious Sometimes there are unintended conscientious. Not sure we can purely attribute her votes to the increased property values but the public investment led to higher property values that priced her out of her own neighborhood. Rather ironic from both political views

You don't understand the dynamics at play here. The issue is not the tax rate or a couple of votes for schools, etc. There's a ton of money in that town and folks that want to live in that area who will pay ridiculous money for what originated as modest working class houses. Her taxes didn't go up 12% in one year because of any vote she made years ago or the district schools. The exorbitant increases have everything to do with appraisal values. It's an absurd system when an appraiser can cause your taxes to double in 8 years when nothing about your circumstances has changed, at least for the better . I suspect like most folks, her income has been comparatively flat during that period. This should be an issue that is non-partisan but since she's been labeled a liberal, you guys trip over each other to find her at fault.

Her property value skyrocketed and now she will be rich! It is the American dream! Live it!

It's your dream. She was quietly living hers in a neighborhood she put down roots in 33 years ago. She just wants her taxes to be reasonable.

Her property value skyrocketed and now she will be rich! It is the American dream! Live it!

It's your dream. She was quietly living hers in a neighborhood she put down roots in 33 years ago. She just wants her taxes to be reasonable.

Her entire neighborhood changed. Everything about it including its occupants. A very similar thing happened to an employee of mine and his family. They owned a small home in a quaint neighborhood. Over the years that neighborhood took on a trendy persona and property values quadrupled. They were basically forced out, but made a butt load of $$$, moved and are very very happy. Plus they are rich! So back to Jane Doe. Move, be happy, pay lower taxes and enjoy your profits!

Her entire neighborhood changed. Everything about it including its occupants. A very similar thing happened to an employee of mine and his family. They owned a small home in a quaint neighborhood. Over the years that neighborhood took on a trendy persona and property values quadrupled. They were basically forced out, but made a butt load of $$$, moved and are very very happy. Plus they are rich! So back to Jane Doe. Move, be happy, pay lower taxes and enjoy your profits!

I agree. If she can't maintain it financially, cash out.

I mean I understand sentimental value, but at some point common sense must prevail.

I mean I understand sentimental value, but at some point common sense must prevail.

It's not a question of sentimental value. It's her way of life. Your employee is probably like a lot of folks-- they may like their house, but could be just as happy elsewhere-- pursuit of happiness in a free society isn't one size fits all.

That may ultimately be her only option, but the larger issue is whether there should be some reasonable cap on how easily an appraiser can literally tax you out of your home.

You guys, and the writer, miss the point. Tax rate increases are likely not the biggest problem-- her property value has gone through the roof in the last 33 years where she lives. She bought in an inexpensive neighborhood that has become very trendy. She can sell, make a killing and move to Buda, but it's frustrating for someone to have to leave their home after 33 years.

Here's a bungalow in that neighborhood that's less than 1,000 sq ft:

http://www.zillow.co.../29322575_zpid/

The estimated value has gone up more than 23k in the last 30 days alone and the appraised value, and taxes based on value, has more than doubled in the last 8 years.

She bought a small, modest home 1/3 of a century ago and now she can't afford to stay. The quote attributed to her is nothing more than understandable human frustration-- and this writer can't wait to deride her in an effort to make a poorly informed political point. Why? Because she supports parks and public schools.

Jay Carney! Glad the recent job loss didn't slow ya down

Tex insanely believes that view is a symptom of totalitarianism. Dude's a hoot but he needs to buy a clue before he shows his ideological witlessness.

That may ultimately be her only option, but the larger issue is whether there should be some reasonable cap on how easily an appraiser can literally tax you out of your home.

So much whining for a tax policy that she voted for. All progressive thought seems to be similar in that there seems to be this idea that taxes are great as long as someone else is having to pay them. This lady voted for every local issue that she knew would increase her property taxes. Now she's playing the po l'il ole pititful victim. Im sorry - I have no sympathy for her situation most notably because all she has to do is sell her home and move on and in the process put a ton of money n her pocket.....such a crying shame! :-\

So much whining for a tax policy that she voted for. All progressive thought seems to be similar in that there seems to be this idea that taxes are great as long as someone else is having to pay them. This lady voted for every local issue that she knew would increase her property taxes. Now she's playing the po l'il ole pititful victim. Im sorry - I have no sympathy for her situation most notably because all she has to do is sell her home and move on and in the process put a ton of money n her pocket.....such a crying shame! :-\/>

Once again demonstrating your total inability to even process facts that challenge your initial conclusion.

So much whining for a tax policy that she voted for. All progressive thought seems to be similar in that there seems to be this idea that taxes are great as long as someone else is having to pay them. This lady voted for every local issue that she knew would increase her property taxes. Now she's playing the po l'il ole pititful victim. Im sorry - I have no sympathy for her situation most notably because all she has to do is sell her home and move on and in the process put a ton of money n her pocket.....such a crying shame! :-\/>

Once again demonstrating your total inability to even process facts that challenge your initial conclusion.

Its not rocket surgery big fella. I understand all too well. I have actually been there and done that! Have you?

I will., however, immediately concede I definitely do NOT understand all the sentimentality and emotion built up around the situation especially since she stands to profit on an immense scale. its not like the govt is taking her property from her and she's not being compensated fair market value like they have been known to do lately.

I wish my property value quadruple over a few years. :)/>

Wish mine did, too. I'm not that attached to it. But if I was, I would hate to be taxed into selling.

Its not rocket surgery big fella. I understand all too well. I have actually been there and done that! Have you?

I will., however, immediately concede I definitely do NOT understand all the sentimentality and emotion built up around the situation especially since she stands to profit on an immense scale. its not like the govt is taking her property from her and she's not being compensated fair market value like they have been known to do lately.

Your inability to put yourself in the place of someone different from yourself is not surprising. That is also an essential trait of someone with a totalitarian mindset. The Taliban expects everyone to view the world just like they do, too.

The way I see it, there are problems and then there are problems. Meaning some are good problems. i see this lady sitting in the catbird seat and, some, maybe even including her, are whining about it. Being attached to anything in life has its distinct downside...especially material things. I have a sneaky suspicion this lady will be just fine whether she elects to sell her home or stay. In any event, this is not a dire problem for her.

Your inability to put yourself in the place of someone different from yourself is not surprising. That is also an essential trait of someone with a totalitarian mindset. The Taliban expects everyone to view the world just like they do, too.

LOL this is too over the top to even waste any time addressing. I will say that you have successfully taken irony here to a never before reached plateau. have a good one tex... :nopityA:

I want my taxes to be reasonable too...why is my desire for low income tax less worthy of sympathy than her desire for low property tax? Be clear guys, Austin is taxing itself into oblivion. You have all the hippies that went to UT in the 60's running the city now and they're trying to make the place into a hippie utopia. There is a huge cost for that; and one that is at direct odds (financiall) with folks like the original commenter. Read her comments again:

“It’s not because I don’t like paying taxes,” said Gardner, who attended both meetings. “I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can’t afford to live here anymore. I’ll protest my appraisal notice, but that’s not enough. Someone needs to step in and address the big picture.”

She says she likes paying taxes; that's downright un-America...She admitted she caused the issue....(I can't believe anyone would have voted for Austin's version of light rail frankly...it basically connects nothing to anywhere and they want to spend an additional $1b to do more of the same) and now someone else needs to step in and address the big picture. She created the problem; but she expects someone else to bail her out. Where have I heard that before? Detroit maybe? California?

You guys, and the writer, miss the point. Tax rate increases are likely not the biggest problem-- her property value has gone through the roof in the last 33 years where she lives. She bought in an inexpensive neighborhood that has become very trendy. She can sell, make a killing and move to Buda, but it's frustrating for someone to have to leave their home after 33 years.

Here's a bungalow in that neighborhood that's less than 1,000 sq ft:

http://www.zillow.co.../29322575_zpid/

The estimated value has gone up more than 23k in the last 30 days alone and the appraised value, and taxes based on value, has more than doubled in the last 8 years.

She bought a small, modest home 1/3 of a century ago and now she can't afford to stay. The quote attributed to her is nothing more than understandable human frustration-- and this writer can't wait to deride her in an effort to make a poorly informed political point. Why? Because she supports parks and public schools.

Jay Carney! Glad the recent job loss didn't slow ya down

:big:

Wish mine did, too. I'm not that attached to it. But if I was, I would hate to be taxed into selling.

It's called progress.... I guess.

Surprisingly the progressives aren't happy with it.

The "Conservatives " here think government should have the unlimited power to raise taxes dramatically year after year through appraisals-- even if it means doubling the tax base in 8 years.

The "Conservatives " here think government should have the unlimited power to raise taxes dramatically year after year through appraisals-- even if it means doubling the tax base in 8 years.

I can't figure out what they think. First, the premise is that a stinkin' librul is getting just what they asked for, then they say she's fortunate for it. :dunno:

There are ways to address this however. How about a grandfather clause for long time residents with low incomes? Or a moratorium plus a way of paying "back taxes" once the house is sold?

NO the conservatives don't. They observed that the libs voted legally for what they wanted then whine about the consequences.

NO the conservatives don't. They observed that the libs voted legally for what they wanted then whine about the consequences.

They didn't observe that-- they blindly ignored the most relevant issue, the appraisals, and focused on what they wanted to whine about. Maybe out of ignorance or sheer inability to understand basic facts, or maybe out of blind ideology. They seem to suffer from all three.

Archived