(confirmed) Carl Lawson - Knee Surgery

Wareagletd

This isn't the NFL where you must report injuries - the NCAA has nothing like that. Coaches are free to report as little or as much as they want. some conferences might require reporting for conference games, but the SEC doesn't have any requirements.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't the NFL where you must report injuries - the NCAA has nothing like that. Coaches are free to report as little or as much as they want. some conferences might require reporting for conference games, but the SEC doesn't have any requirements.

I have no clue, to be honest, I was just theorizing blindly.

Unless something has changed since the end of last season, the NFL requires accurate weekly injury reports, the NCAA does not.

We don't get detailed in-season injury reports on Auburn players. Never have. What information is published is usually from coaches responding to reporters' questions and what can be inferred from their intentionally vague answers. Accurate information usually comes only if the player himself is willing to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Article at AL.com today: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/possibility_of_injured_auburn.html

Quote: Definitive details on the surgery are not available, according to Johnson and Lawson, Sr., but his family confirmed Thursday the sophomore did not tear the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Pretty definitive on the ACL. Doesn't mean he didn't tear something other than the ACL I guess...

But the right knee...

I hate this. But with Lambert and Williams coming in. One going 285 and the other 251. They pass the eye test.

Guest jojo1515

Article at AL.com today: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/possibility_of_injured_auburn.html

Quote: Definitive details on the surgery are not available, according to Johnson and Lawson, Sr., but his family confirmed Thursday the sophomore did not tear the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Pretty definitive on the ACL. Doesn't mean he didn't tear something other than the ACL I guess...

But the right knee...

So? How is this possible when Gus just confirmed he tore his ACL?

Article at AL.com today: http://www.al.com/au...red_auburn.html

But the right knee...

Nothing would surprise me with all the contradictions we've heard.

Is an ACL tear the type of thing that varies in severity or is it an all-or-nothing type of injury? If there are varying degrees then maybe that could explain the discrepancies.

Maybe he can return for LSU..

My guess would be that LSU is too early to even look at a return. If we get him back at all I'd guess the earliest we'd see him is around the UGA game.

No point for him to burn a year if he comes back for UGA.

He likely won't be at Auburn after 2015 regardless of whether he plays this year or not. So if he plays only 2-3 big games at the end of the year, it'd still be worth it.

He likely won't be at Auburn after 2015 regardless of whether he plays this year or not. So if he plays only 2-3 big games at the end of the year, it'd still be worth it.

I think if he has opportunity for a medical redshirt you could see him return in 2016. Would depend on his performance in the 15 season though - crazier things have happened.

I think if he has opportunity for a medical redshirt you could see him return in 2016. Would depend on his performance in the 15 season though - crazier things have happened.

He won't get a medical redshirt. He never used his regular redshirt year and he won't have played any in the first 1/4 of the 2014 season. Ergo, regular redshirt year, just like he was not injured and decided to sit a year.

He'd have to return in 2017 to take advantage of a redshirt... don't see that happening. 2013 Freshmen, 2014 Redshirt, 2015 rSophomore, 2016 rJunior, 2017 rSenior.

Article at AL.com today: http://www.al.com/au...red_auburn.html

But the right knee...

Next time ,when passthebiscuits speaks I will listen.

Nothing would surprise me with all the contradictions we've heard.

Is an ACL tear the type of thing that varies in severity or is it an all-or-nothing type of injury? If there are varying degrees then maybe that could explain the discrepancies.

AU was hoping to have Lawson back by the LSU game and that was the early word. But now it is very unlikely Lawson will play at all this year after Dr. Andrews did the surgery.

AU was hoping to have Lawson back by the LSU game and that was the early word. But now it is very unlikely Lawson will play at all this year after Dr. Andrews did the surgery.

So Gus saying we hope to have him back this season was just optimistic coach-speak?

So Gus saying we hope to have him back this season was just optimistic coach-speak?

I guess. Not playing this year was the word a week or so ago. Could be a little coach speak to motivate Lawson.

The situation is uncertain. Carl is healing well and very determined to get back as soon as possible. However, one would normally expect that this type of injury would take a long time to recover from (up to the time of the entire season). So, no one knows.

I wouldn't say that it was 'just optimistic coach-speak'.

I would say that we as fans should assume that Carl will be out all season. If he comes back earlier and the coaches decide he plays, great.

Big loss on the Dline. Very BIG. Other guys will have to step up and play well. We have other bodies but Lawson was a proven end and we don't have many of those!

It was a complete tear of the Acl and mcl. I think it is highly optimistic of all parties to expect him to be back at any point this year.

The discrepancies were mostly about Carls family (although no one bothered to ask Carl himself) saying it was not an acl tear (which is still puzzling) and the coaches not wanting to correct them publicly. Truth is Carl is progressing well in rehab. There's no set timetAble for return but I'd be shocked if he's back this year.

It was a complete tear of the Acl and mcl. I think it is highly optimistic of all parties to expect him to be back at any point this year.

The discrepancies were mostly about Carls family (although no one bothered to ask Carl himself) saying it was not an acl tear (which is still puzzling) and the coaches not wanting to correct them publicly. Truth is Carl is progressing well in rehab. There's no set timetAble for return but I'd be shocked if he's back this year.

+1. Highly doubt he'll be back, even under the best situation. Adrian Peterson is the quickest comeback EVER and it took him 9 months.

"High school athletes will come in with a torn ACL, and I'll give them the same speech: six to eight months, return to normal level of play is 12 months," says Michael Jablonski, an Orlando-based orthopedic surgeon. "You'd be surprised how many times they say, 'Well, what about Adrian Peterson?' "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---adrian-peterson-effect--leaves-doctors-in-awe-and-players-rushing-to-return-031136811.html

CL is a beast. If a quick rehab can be accomplished, he can do it. That being said, I hope that he is not rushed back into action. Rather see him at 100% for a couple of years than at 80% and reinjure and we lose him long term. Team CL!

CL is a beast. If a quick rehab can be accomplished, he can do it. That being said, I hope that he is not rushed back into action. Rather see him at 100% for a couple of years than at 80% and reinjure and we lose him long term. Team CL!

If he is able to come back at all this season, he will be a step slow and off in his timing. IMO - if he can't return by KState game then wait'll next year.

Archived