(confirmed) Carl Lawson - Knee Surgery

Wareagletd

Since Lawson has not used his regular redshirt year, the term "medical redshirt" does not apply to him. If he needs a second redshirt year for some season in the future, that's when the talk about a medical redshirt starts.

In the normal usage of a medical redshirt, it's when a player has participated in four games or fewer in the first third of the season, gets a season ending injury and doesn't want to lose an entire year of eligibility for those few games. He then applies to the NCAA for medical redshirt status so that the few games don't cost him a whole year.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Lawson has not used his regular redshirt year, the term "medical redshirt" does not apply to him. If he needs a second redshirt year for some season in the future, that's when the talk about a medical redshirt starts.

In the normal usage of a medical redshirt, it's when a player has participated in four games or fewer in the first third of the season, gets a season ending injury and doesn't want to lose an entire year of eligibility for those few games. He then applies to the NCAA for medical redshirt status so that the few games don't cost him a whole year.

Aside here, but now's a good time to ask. What is the minimum you can play before redshirting?

33% of the games, I think for a medical redshirt.

I believe I read the percentage is 30%..

30% is correct and I don't think any of it can be after the midpoint of the season.

Well...looks like I had some misinformation. (I thought just a meniscus issue). Carl tore the ACL and MCL. Poor guy. Definitely out for the year I suppose. Still a good idea for Arky to have to prepare for him though.

Tough break. Get well soon, Carl!!!

Re comment on hiding the injury.....coaches almost never talk about injuries to players...what's the point? Sure curious fans want to know but curious opponents like to know things like that too. I'm of the school of keeping things like that quiet as long as you can.

Well...looks like I had some misinformation. (I thought just a meniscus issue). Carl tore the ACL and MCL. Poor guy. Definitely out for the year I suppose. Still a good idea for Arky to have to prepare for him though.

Tough break. Get well soon, Carl!!!

Thanks for passing along the latest. Get well soon, Carl!

So... I can't tell from reading this thread if he is out for the year or out 6 weeks. Is the info from PTB above the most current?

So... I can't tell from reading this thread if he is out for the year or out 6 weeks. Is the info from PTB above the most current?

Out for year if it's ACL/MCL.

I can confirm that it's mcl and acl, and if that's the case then it would have to be the season the way I see it.

I hope he doesn't prove to have been worth a game. Time for Adams and Daniel to step in. I know he's a tackle but it'll be nice to have Whitaker back too.

I hope he doesn't prove to have been worth a game.

What does this mean?

I hope he doesn't prove to have been worth a game.

What does this mean?

I think he means the absence costs us a game

This is horrible news. Our sec title hopes need help from our dline, I hope Johnson and garner get help from Lambert. Lawson was looking at all ncaa first team for sure.

My Grandson tore his ACL/MCL and was released by Dr Cain to play after 14 weeks.

My Grandson tore his ACL/MCL and was released by Dr Cain to play after 14 weeks.

That's just not smart. Dr.Cain must've went to Bama's med school...

Hopefully Carl can recover and be ready to go by early October if not sooner.

If it's a complete tear (which sounds like it is considering he had surgery) then unfortunately he's all but guaranteed to miss the entire season.

Hopefully Carl can recover and be ready to go by early October if not sooner.

If it's a complete tear (which sounds like it is considering he had surgery) then unfortunately he's all but guaranteed to miss the entire season.

It was a complete tear.

@JoelAEricksonAU: Ellis Johnson on Lawson: Procedure went well, "phenomenal" recovery so far, no timetable

@AuBlog: Johnson added there's no specific timetable for Lawson's return to action but coaches remain "optimistic" for an early season return.

...something doesn't add up

Alex Byington@AUBlog 22m

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson said DE Carl Lawson's knee surgery "went well" & Dr. James Andrews has called Lawson's response to it "phenomenal."

Johnson added there's no specific timetable for Lawson's return to action but coaches remain "optimistic" for an early season return

Archived