***2014 Big Cat Weekend Thread***

RunInRed

Tony Bridges (AU commit) ...

15098772-mmmain.jpg

"I love the campus and I love the coaches," he said. "This is where I'll be spending my two years. I want to get away from home a little bit, so Auburn is the place for me.

"I love the football field, the dorms, facilities and the coaching staff. The coaching staff is what really gets me. I have to make family first, and they feel like family to me."

"I might take a few official visits, but I know where my home's at."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/richard_sherman-type_db_impres.html

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daron Payne ...

Payne, who grew up an Auburn fan, said he spent most of the day with Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

"(Big Cat Weekend) is unique because it's a get-to-know each other type thing," he said. "I got to see the other side of them. All of them are really nice people."

Payne said he will likely make his decision on National Signing Day (Feb. 2, 2015) or during a postseason All-Star game.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/still_no_leader_for_5-star_dt.html

Of the uncommitted recruits, who all didnt make the trip to BCW that was expected to. I know McFadden and Patterson didn't make trip. Anybody know why?

Definite no's were Patterson and McFadden.

Possible no's

4* WR Kirk Merritt

3* OL Michael Horton

4* DE Arden Key

Horton made it to BCW so I am crossing him off my OP

Can you imagine getting payne and Trent Thompson . wishful thinking I know. There is a lot of opportunity with all the guys graduating

Guest jojo1515

So no bcw commits (outside of a fb who wasnt there)? Not that Im disappointed as it was an all star weekend and an impressive list, just kinda figured we may get one commit go public. Oh well, I suppose we may have gotten a silent...

Rivals is reporting that Calvin has committed to AU but has not spoken with CGM.

@Allie_Davison: Copiah-Lincoln C.C. DE Johnathan Calvin tells me that he has committed to #Auburn. However, he has not spoken with Malzahn. More to come.

Guest jojo1515

Rivals is reporting that Calvin has committed to AU but has not spoken with CGM.

@Allie_Davison: Copiah-Lincoln C.C. DE Johnathan Calvin tells me that he has committed to #Auburn. However, he has not spoken with Malzahn. More to come.

Thats more like it :)

*small boom* when it become official, the boom will upgrade

Reading the tea leaves from the various reports, it looks like,

* could commit at almost any time- DT Juantavius Johnson, LB Richard McBryde, DE Johnathan Calvin

** getting closer to the first group- OG Darryl Williams

*** made serious inroads with- QB Gibson, DE Ledbetter, LB Holland, DT Thompson

I understand that this was a fake account, so I'm relieved that this isn't true. There's no reason for us to accept a commitment from a *3 DE and the #46 ranked JUCO player. Especially with guys like D'Andre Walker, Arden Key, Byron Cowart, CeCe Jefferson, Marquavious Lewis, and Austin Bryant still on the board. I understand getting a few JUCO players to fill immediate needs, but I really hope that we don't start living off of these JUCO's. We have Robinson, Smith, Bridges, and are actively pursuing Marquavious Lewis. That's enough.

I understand that this was a fake account, so I'm relieved that this isn't true. There's no reason for us to accept a commitment from a *3 DE and the #46 ranked JUCO player. Especially with guys like D'Andre Walker, Arden Key, Byron Cowart, CeCe Jefferson, Marquavious Lewis, and Austin Bryant still on the board. I understand getting a few JUCO players to fill immediate needs, but I really hope that we don't start living off of these JUCO's. We have Robinson, Smith, Bridges, and are actively pursuing Marquavious Lewis. That's enough.

But I think the four players you mentioned are difference makers and I'm happy we have 3/4 committed.

...He can stand in Grant Field on an official visit and commit to Tech, Auburn and Georgia in the same sentence and it's meaningless.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :poke:

Didn't read the entire thread and see the question discussed, did you? You don't have to keep your foot in your mouth all week. Extraction by Monday night will be sufficient.

I don't think Smith is a take right now. Rodney likes him, but not sure he would be ready to help by next season. Needs some coaching.

That's weird bc Allie said she spoke to him, not that he tweeted. In any event, it's never a good sign when a kid commits but hasn't talked to the head coach. I'm pretty sure they make Gus' policy well known during the recruiting process.

CC you have followed recruiting long enough to know sites' ranking do not mean the staff feels the same about a prospect. As for the names you mentioned. AU is not a real contender now for Cowart, CeCe, and Key. Key was not at BCW. He has already made his choice and will go public next week. Also we have not recruited Austin Bryant in a while. Not sure of the order but the big 4 on the AU DE board appears to be Walker, Lewis, Ledbetter, and Calvin.

For clarification...

@Allie_Davison: Well that was not very funny. Someone decided to make a very real Johnathan Calvin account and tweet a commitment. People suck, y'all.

...He can stand in Grant Field on an official visit and commit to Tech, Auburn and Georgia in the same sentence and it's meaningless.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :poke:/>

Didn't read the entire thread and see the question discussed, did you? You don't have to keep your foot in your mouth all week. Extraction by Monday night will be sufficient.

Oh, I read the entire thread. I just thought that pointing out that simultaneous commitments to multiple schools is meaningless was, well, obvious. Just having a little fun with you, Mikey. (hence the :poke:)

Archived