ESPN bias is ridiculous!!!

3rdgeneration

ESPN is not a poster here nor do they deserve my respect after what they did to Cam Newton. And they sure aren't a fellow Auburn fan. There's still no reason to call the OP a nitwit for having a different opinion.

Exactly spot on. Respect is earned and ESPN has done nothing as far as Auburn is concerned to earn that respect. Since this topic is about ESPN's bias against Auburn let's take a look at it. Whether some want to admit or not, ESPN has a MAJOR SAY in who is atop the polls on a given week. They choose what they want to report on and because of their choices, the voters take what they say as fact, when its often not fact at all. We all thought we deserved to play in the BCS Title game in 2004. The bottom line is #1 and #2 in August never lost all season. It is what it is and we finished #3 in the BCS. However, ESPN felt they had to make some kind of justification for Auburn being left out so they pointed to our game vs. The Citadel and used it to cite schedule strength. We all know the argument was absolute crap because we had a tougher schedule WITH the citadel on the schedule than Oklahoma and USC combined. It was their talking point to keep us out of the discussion. It paid off because the voters refused to jump us ahead of either USC or Oklahoma that year IN SPITE OF OUR FAR SUPERIOR Strength of schedule. We were undefeated too. Now, fast forward to 2008. Florida lost in week 4 to Ole Miss, and then never lost again. They went on to win the SEC (beat uat) and then played Oklahoma for the National Title. Oh, and guess who they played that year? Yep, they played THE CITADEL. The same team ESPN used to justify Auburn being left out, yet ZERO mention of Florida playing them. Why was there no mention of Florida playing the Citadel? USC won the Pac 10 and was 11-1, Penn State won the Big 10 and was 11-1. Utah was the Mountain West and was 12-0, uat was 12-1, Texas was 11-1 and Oklahoma was 12-1. Yet Florida (while playing the same Citadel team) was provided a shot to play for a title. Not one mention of them playing The Citadel and hurting their SOS.

The entire 18 months of the Cam Newton garbage proved that ESPN was definitely NOT a fan of Auburn. They just went with every single story out there to vilify Newton, his family and the University he represented. They never once actually investigated a story to check its validity. They had idiots like Joe Schad (who has never reported accurate information since he's been there), Danny Sheridan (who is a known uat and hates Auburn) and Paul Finebaum (also a hater of Auburn) on almost every single day talking about what the NCAA has found or is looking for. Basically every single person they talked to about that "case" had Auburn guilty and facing SEVERE sanctions and probation. The NCAA for the first time EVER issued a statement at the end and said we base our case on FACTS and not on internet rumors or message board chatter. They went on to announce that THEY FOUND NOTHING WHILE INVESTIGATING AUBURN....NOTHING. Here we are 4 years later and NOT ONE RETRACTION. Not one article or story from ESPN about how we were innocent and they were wrong. They vilified Auburn and Newton and his family for 18 months and when it was proven NOTHING HAPPENED, they just went silent. No apology, no retraction, NOTHING.

Fast forward to now and there is NO DOUBT with any of us here that we should be the clear favorite to win the SEC this season. But we have idiots like Jesse Palmer (who knowingly hates Auburn too) running off at the mouth about how lucky we were last year. He refuses to give us any credit for what we accomplished. Called it a fluke and luck. EVERY SINGLE TEAM that ever wins a title has had some luck along the way to get there. EVERY SINGLE TEAM. We return every key piece on offense while most are looking for new QB's. Yet, somehow they managed to rank a uat team (which lost a TON of players and their qb) ahead of us?? Really? The games are not played on paper. I would also argue that our talent at Auburn is at worse, on par with every other school in the country and better than most.

Now, I don't know if ESPN is biased or not, but they sure as hell don't care how their negative stories impact Auburn. Is ESPN biased against Auburn....I say pretty much YES they are.

Florida played Miami and FSU that year too. Auburn didn't play a BCS opponent in a non conference game In 2004. It wasn't just having the citadel on the schedule.

That's true, but it wasn't a talking point by the media to keep us out of the game. The ONLY talking point by the media was us playing The Citadel. Even without a BCS non conference opponent on the schedule our SOS was still higher than USC and Oklahoma's. They CREATED an excuse to exclude Auburn by using the Citadel being on the schedule, when all that needed to be said was the #1 and #2 teams in August NEVER LOST all season. I firmly believe that if ESPN hadn't gone out of their way to constantly bring up our game with The Citadel that we would have probably leaped over one of those teams that year. ESPN speaks and when they do the pollsters listen. it's just that simple.

In 2008 FSU was a 9-4 team with losses to Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston college and Florida. 2008 Miami was 7-6 with losses to Floirda, North Carolina (they later vacated the game but its still a loss for miami), FSU, Georgia Tech, NC State and California. Combined those two teams were 16-10. Neither of those teams were actually stellar teams and beating either one of them didn't mean much in the SOS. Those were teams Florida was supposed to beat.

Auburn had a far worse SOS than the other two depending on the method used. Playing the citadel was one talking point, but. It the only one.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Lord. If you don't like ESPN don't watch it. I don't like McDonald's so I don't go. This "ESPN hates us" crap seems to roll through every few months and I usually roll my eyes and go on but jeez, enough is enough. I like ESPN - but then again I grew up in a time when there was one ball game (most often Notre Dame) every weekend. ESPN provides excellent coverage technically and while the announcers are usually idiots who do not do any preparation I see damn near every Auburn game. For me the only thing worse than an Alabama fan on a bragging jag is one of our own Auburn family members on a whining jag.

BRAVO! Thank you for this post.

Dear Lord. If you don't like ESPN don't watch it. I don't like McDonald's so I don't go. This "ESPN hates us" crap seems to roll through every few months and I usually roll my eyes and go on but jeez, enough is enough. I like ESPN - but then again I grew up in a time when there was one ball game (most often Notre Dame) every weekend. ESPN provides excellent coverage technically and while the announcers are usually idiots who do not do any preparation I see damn near every Auburn game. For me the only thing worse than an Alabama fan on a bragging jag is one of our own Auburn family members on a whining jag.

BRAVO! Thank you for this post.

Thanks. I have tried to quit hammering on people but It needed to be said.

This is the same ESPN that probably had us winning 6 games last year and had the turds and the quack-attack playing in the title game, each of which did not even come close. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections). I wouldn't worry too much about what their experts are saying...

the real question here is how do you not like mcbetus (mcdonald's). Have you had their fries?

the real question here is how do you not like mcbetus (mcdonald's). Have you had their fries?

Sadly in my days at Auburn 2 burgers and a fry was a hair over a buck. Over the decades since my body has evolved to require actual food, not McDonald's ultra-processed, highly chemicalized food-like substances. You don't want to pull on this thread. All of my maternal kin were farmers and McDonald's has done as much to destroy family farming as any entity. Have I had their fries? Have you met my friend Willie Nelson?

Stop worrying about what ESPN has to say about Auburn in the preseason. ESPN is going to crawl up anyone's tail that is doing well in the sporting world. We have gotten significant coverage nationally by ESPN then years before. They were here for Signing Day, they covered our spring game over Bama's, and we have gotten way more positive then negative publicity this year, then any other year. ESPN loves us right now and just because they projected us playing FSU in the playoffs during the PRESEASON doesn't mean that they'll feel that way halfway through the season when we're wiping the floor with everyone that comes our way. War Eagle.

Not quite true........... The Spring game fell behind a play off game, Bama's started an hour before us,therefore they went to ESPN2 AND ...OUR spring game was in about 6 minutes before we saw it....(unless you did like me and hooked your computer up and went to espn3 till the playoff game was over...... We got the shaft by ESPN again.

A lot of people on here think BSPN "hates" us, they don't hate us, they just ignore us for the most part. I just got through reading the SEC blog on BSPN and over half the articles are about bammer. The bias is glaring. But let's face it , it's all about money. They pander to the group that will support their agenda and that group at present is bama. We just need to win and with Gus I think that is how we will gain more respect from the college football community. Really looking forward to the coming season.

A lot of people on here think BSPN "hates" us, they don't hate us, they just ignore us for the most part. I just got through reading the SEC blog on BSPN and over half the articles are about bammer. The bias is glaring. But let's face it , it's all about money. They pander to the group that will support their agenda and that group at present is bama. We just need to win and with Gus I think that is how we will gain more respect from the college football community. Really looking forward to the coming season.

It's not hate.....it's disrespect and almost a total dismissal of any accomplishments by Auburn. It's the turn of a phrase, or the use of a certain word, or even the way it's said. Tone of voice and facial expression can convey a lot without actually saying much. Auburn is framed in a negative light in so many subtle ways above and beyond the things that are said outright.

Sadly in my days at Auburn 2 burgers and a fry was a hair over a buck. Over the decades since my body has evolved to require actual food, not McDonald's ultra-processed, highly chemicalized food-like substances. You don't want to pull on this thread. All of my maternal kin were farmers and McDonald's has done as much to destroy family farming as any entity. Have I had their fries? Have you met my friend Willie Nelson?

So just not going to McDonalds isn't enough to help the family farm? Just not watching BSPN isn't enough as to how their bias affects recruiting, polling, BCS bowls etc...

Got it now?

It's not hate.....it's disrespect and almost a total dismissal of any accomplishments by Auburn. It's the turn of a phrase, or the use of a certain word, or even the way it's said. Tone of voice and facial exp<b></b>ression can convey a lot without actually saying much. Auburn is framed in a negative light in so many subtle ways above and beyond the things that are said outright.

Agreed^^

So just not going to McDonalds isn't enough to help the family farm? Just not watching BSPN isn't enough as to how their bias affects recruiting, polling, BCS bowls etc...

Got it now?

Oh now I see. It was ESPN bias that kept us out of the national championship last year. It is ESPN bias that is keeping us from having top-5 recruiting classes. The whiners on this thread watch ESPN with their ears tuned to hear bias so they have something to bitch about. I've seen many very complimentary comments and stories on ESPN and I see idiots like Joe Schad who make a living slamming everyone and moving on. They do it to everyone because they have to fill up air time. Again, if it bothers you so much quit watching and you will be free of the stress. You might also consider a better argument than bias affecting recruiting, polls and bowls as we seem to be doing pretty well in all 3 right now.

Got it now?

I think that much of the "bias" and "hate" we see as Auburn fans comes from the fact that we lack consistency. These talking heads form perspectives and narratives just like everyone else and honestly for the last couple of decades our football has been all over the board. We're expected to do well? We crash..and burn. We are expected to flop? We overachieve. These guys are analysts so to speak...and we mess with their mojo..they don't know how to take us in other words.

I think right now we are getting some positive pub., however people want to see us live up to expectations and achieve a level of consistency. Then I think people here will see less "hate & bias". JHMO.

I think that much of the "bias" and "hate" we see as Auburn fans comes from the fact that we lack consistency. These talking heads form perspectives and narratives just like everyone else and honestly for the last couple of decades our football has been all over the board. We're expected to do well? We crash..and burn. We are expected to flop? We overachieve. These guys are analysts so to speak...and we mess with their mojo..they don't know how to take us in other words.

I think right now we are getting some positive pub., however people want to see us live up to expectations and achieve a level of consistency. Then I think people here will see less "hate & bias". JHMO.

IMHO....That had nothing to do with the way ESPN treated Cam Newton in 2010, especially during his Heisman ceremony. Tony Dorsett is not an Auburn person, and he called them out on how that ceremony was conducted. He could see it for what it was, and so could many others not connected to Auburn in any way. TD was outraged, and rightly so. If it was obvious to others, then surely Auburn fans who took exception to ESPN's treatment of Cam Newton are not just whiners.

Sometimes there IS an agenda, and ESPN has had a few that were not favorable to Auburn, such as the 2004 push for USC/OK. And don't forget all the Boise State noise. ESPN has made more money from painting AU in a negative light than they ever could by telling the actual truth.

Brent Musburger has disliked AU for years. He kept talking about the Glenn Dorsey chop block by Chaz Ramsey on every broadcast for as long as those 2 were playing,even though it had already been settled between the 2 schools and the 2 players. He mentioned it for years as though AU was the only team that ever had a stupid freshman who made a huge mistake. It was wrong for Ramsey to do what he did, but it was not like he killed somebody. Dorsey was already playing hurt, so he was more vulnerable to injury than normal. That made the whole thing look worse than it was. Musburger likes to give his audiences the impression that AU plays dirty all the time. And that impression has stuck, unfortunately. It probably had a lot to do with why people jumped on the Hate AU bandwagon in 2010.

Once upon a time, I too believed that there was an anti-Auburn agenda at ESPN. However as another poster alluded to previously, fans of other teams, college and pro perceive ESPN to have some level of bias or an agenda against them as well.

The formula is simple. Controversy creates cash. It's sensationalism at its best, but soap opera journalism drive television ratings and ad revenue from web traffic. This Personally, I think it erodes the quality of the brand. But like many others, I will still tune in; even if it is on an 'as-needed' basis.

It's time to move on from the Cam allegations. People forget that it's all about viewership. The timing of when the story broke, the stakes of the season at that juncture was the perfect storm and feeding frenzy for ESPN. Although the smoke cleared, and the NCAA had the final say, the damage had already been done. For the 4-letter network, it's oh well, onto the next scoop. I'm fairly certain their journalists don't care about being perceived by a fan base as morally reprehensible because they didn't fact check their allegations. When anyone's favorite team is under attack in the media, there's always an Us. vs. The World state of mind.

Briefly for a moment, place the shoe on the other foot. Hypothetically speaking, what if the breaking late season news were about a potential pay-for-play scandal involving then-Heisman trophy candidate LaMichael James? Considering that Auburn and Oregon were on a collision course to play in the BCS title game, how would you have reacted? After the fallout of the Cam allegations I'm sure that in hindsight, more would be willing to embrace a wait-and-see approach. Or would we have leaned towards what would likely been the mantra of the masses, 'Yep. Always knew Uncle Phil was up to something fishy in Eugene.' Either way, its safe to say a fair number of Auburn Tiger eyes would have been glued to the ESPN vehicle in some fashion--dying to know what's going to happen next with bated breath. Taking literally everything reported as face value, with little concern if the material reported had been verified.

Controversy sells, and ESPN takes full advantage of reporting practically all that exists in the realm of sports. There is no bias. There is no agenda.

Once upon a time, I too believed that there was an anti-Auburn agenda at ESPN. However as another poster alluded to previously, fans of other teams, college and pro perceive ESPN to have some level of bias or an agenda against them as well.

The formula is simple. Controversy creates cash. It's sensationalism at its best, but soap opera journalism drive television ratings and ad revenue from web traffic. This Personally, I think it erodes the quality of the brand. But like many others, I will still tune in; even if it is on an 'as-needed' basis.

It's time to move on from the Cam allegations. People forget that it's all about viewership. The timing of when the story broke, the stakes of the season at that juncture was the perfect storm and feeding frenzy for ESPN. Although the smoke cleared, and the NCAA had the final say, the damage had already been done. For the 4-letter network, it's oh well, onto the next scoop. I'm fairly certain their journalists don't care about being perceived by a fan base as morally reprehensible because they didn't fact check their allegations. When anyone's favorite team is under attack in the media, there's always an Us. vs. The World state of mind.

Briefly for a moment, place the shoe on the other foot. Hypothetically speaking, what if the breaking late season news were about a potential pay-for-play scandal involving then-Heisman trophy candidate LaMichael James? Considering that Auburn and Oregon were on a collision course to play in the BCS title game, how would you have reacted? After the fallout of the Cam allegations I'm sure that in hindsight, more would be willing to embrace a wait-and-see approach. Or would we have leaned towards what would likely been the mantra of the masses, 'Yep. Always knew Uncle Phil was up to something fishy in Eugene.' Either way, its safe to say a fair number of Auburn Tiger eyes would have been glued to the ESPN vehicle in some fashion--dying to know what's going to happen next with bated breath. Taking literally everything reported as face value, with little concern if the material reported had been verified.

Controversy sells, and ESPN takes full advantage of reporting practically all that exists in the realm of sports. There is no bias. There is no agenda.

Very well said. Some of the controversy is intentionally manufactured. I've noticed some of their "experts" arguing positions you could tell they didn't really believe, because their producers know an argument is more entertaining to watch than a group hug. There are some hosts that seem to always go negative on Auburn (Jesse Palmer), so I can buy an argument of bias by specific people, but I have to agree there is no network bias against us.

These networks have to have something to "discuss" - can't have everyone in agreement or folks would grab the remote and change the channel. Just look at this thread alone - ESPN has AU going to the 4 team playoff and there's already over 10 pages of discussion about ESPN's bias against Auburn. They want people talking - discussing - ESPN wants people to have them on the brain.

Got it now?

Oh now I see. It was ESPN bias that kept us out of the national championship last year. It is ESPN bias that is keeping us from having top-5 recruiting classes. The whiners on this thread watch ESPN with their ears tuned to hear bias so they have something to bitch about. I've seen many very complimentary comments and stories on ESPN and I see idiots like Joe Schad who make a living slamming everyone and moving on. They do it to everyone because they have to fill up air time. Again, if it bothers you so much quit watching and you will be free of the stress. You might also consider a better argument than bias affecting recruiting, polls and bowls as we seem to be doing pretty well in all 3 right now.

Got it now?

Winning the SEC will get you in the Championship game even with what Joe Shad and Jesse Palmer think and say. Yes, Joe Shad and BSPN owe Cam and Auburn an apology that will never come.

I don't watch BSPN unless AU is playing on their network. Again, and for the last time at least from me, if you don't think the BSPN bias affects recruiting, polls, Bowl Match-ups, the public opinion of the proposed 10 second rule, etc... your are mistaken. Now Jesse Palmer is "all in with lil nickie" discussing how (without evidence) the uptempo creates more injuries!

Time to stand up for your school! No, it isn't whining, it is stand for something or fall for anything.

Best of luck to the family farm. And yes, I get it, the question is, do you?

Got it now?

Got it now?

Winning the SEC will get you in the Championship game even with what Joe Shad and Jesse Palmer think and say. Yes, Joe Shad and BSPN owe Cam and Auburn an apology that will never come.

I don't watch BSPN unless AU is playing on their network. Again, and for the last time at least from me, if you don't think the BSPN bias affects recruiting, polls, Bowl Match-ups, the public opinion of the proposed 10 second rule, etc... your are mistaken. Now Jesse Palmer is "all in with lil nickie" discussing how (without evidence) the uptempo creates more injuries!

Time to stand up for your school! No, it isn't whining, it is stand for something or fall for anything.

Best of luck to the family farm. And yes, I get it, the question is, do you?

109% agree^^

Umm who cares how biased espn is??? Well all know those people are a bunch of nuts. The reason the turds are getting this kind of preseason love is because of their consistency since 2008. All AU has to do is prove them wrong.

Manufacturing a scandal, ruining a young man's reputation,and that of his University to get better ratings IS an agenda......

Manufacturing a scandal, ruining a young man's reputation,and that of his University to get better ratings IS an agenda......

You are correct. I should have qualified that last portion of my Sunday sermon better.

There is no ESPN agenda against Auburn.

TB, the aftermath from the slander is collateral damage. What can you do? The SEC and ESPN are bed buddies for years to come.

Archived