Projected NFL Paydays for AU Players

RunInRed

It'll never cease to amaze me, the privilege that so many people grant themselves to judge strangers from afar based on a tiny morsel of information, devoid of any context. But I guess if we didn't have old guys who liked to sit around and bitch about how young men- whom they've never met and who are already far more successful than most of us will ever be- conduct themselves in their free time, then we wouldn't have sports forums at all.

Judging a specific action, regardless of who engages in it, isn't judging a person. You, however, just judged a lot of folks you'll never meet and did so not based on what they did, but what you illogically concluded.

You're right, I just judged a lot of folks. You're just attempting to hide behind semantics with the rest. I'm comfortable with what I said. I'll see my way out of this thread now, have a blast with the rest of the castigation, er, discussion.

You engaged in some melodramatic semantics to which I was responding.

I'm comfortable saying this: a) spending $123,000 on a watch is an overly extravagant expenditure for anyone-- including 90 year old billionaires and young newly minted millionaires; b ) letting folks know that you may be wearing a six figure watch is unwise, regardless of who you are. You're obviously free to disagree with both points, and to go out of your way to find offense to whine about.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm comfortable saying this: a) spending $123,000 on a watch is an overly extravagant expenditure for anyone-- including 90 year old billionaires and young newly minted millionaires; b ) letting folks know that you may be wearing a six figure watch is unwise, regardless of who you are. You're obviously free to disagree with both points, and to go out of your way to find offense to whine about. "

Im pretty comfortable allowing the kid to do whatever he wishes with HIS freakin money and feel no need whatsoever to go into great detail to justify my need to criticize his judgement. He earned the money and I'd be willing to bet he DGAS what you think....but, hey! I could be wrong.

"I'm comfortable saying this: a) spending $123,000 on a watch is an overly extravagant expenditure for anyone-- including 90 year old billionaires and young newly minted millionaires; b ) letting folks know that you may be wearing a six figure watch is unwise, regardless of who you are. You're obviously free to disagree with both points, and to go out of your way to find offense to whine about. "

Im pretty comfortable allowing the kid to do whatever he wishes with HIS freakin money and feel no need whatsoever to go into great detail to justify my need to criticize his judgement. He earned the money and I'd be willing to bet he DGAS what you think....but, hey! I could be wrong.

No one said otherwise. What little I know of Greg I admire-- he's worked hard, achieved at an exceptionally high level, earned being a number 2 draft pick and with that the right to blow through his money. The same is true for many other guys that blew through their money. But when your spending choices are in the news, you've also earned the right to have them commented on.

"But when your spending choices are in the news, you've also earned the right to have them commented on."

Dont you really mean criticized? Your comments seemed very much like judgmental criticism to me.

No one said otherwise. What little I know of Greg I admire-- he's worked hard, achieved at an exceptionally high level, earned being a number 2 draft pick and with that the right to blow through his money. The same is true for many other guys that blew through their money. But when your spending choices are in the news, you've also earned the right to have them commented on.

If you're referring to TMZ as "news" then there's something wrong. TMZ isn't news, it's gossip.

The reason the watch is a really dumb purchase is not that he spent it this time. It's that it sets a precedent that he will buy big ticket items of little appreciable long term value. He can only play for so long. It's very easy to go broke making poor choices. Everyone who thinks its a stupid decision really thinks more for his future.

Just ask any of the other thousands of ex-millionaires who lost their wealth buy fancy stuff. If it's a one off celebratory purchase that's not a big deal. Maybe he was just given the watch to wear at the draft and has to return it. I don't know the situation. I do know many others have found the lure of money great and it was wasted quickly.

The reason the watch is a really dumb purchase is not that he spent it this time. It's that it sets a precedent that he will buy big ticket items of little appreciable long term value. He can only play for so long. It's very easy to go broke making poor choices. Everyone who thinks its a stupid decision really thinks more for his future.

Just ask any of the other thousands of ex-millionaires who lost their wealth buy fancy stuff. If it's a one off celebratory purchase that's not a big deal. Maybe he was just given the watch to wear at the draft and has to return it. I don't know the situation. I do know many others have found the lure of money great and it was wasted quickly.

The sad reality is that most NFL players go bankrupt or close to it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625167/Majority-football-players-end-bankrupt-lavish-spending-NFL-trying-teach-rookies-budget.html

Greg seems like a good guy so I hope this initial expenditure proves to be an aberration. I hope he has a long and happy life and makes the big paydays last.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625167/Majority-football-players-end-bankrupt-lavish-spending-NFL-trying-teach-rookies-budget.html

Greg seems like a good guy so I hope this initial expenditure proves to be an aberration. I hope he has a long and happy life and makes the big paydays last.

The amazing part about that is that they go bankrupt WITHIN 2 YEARS of leaving the league. It just shows that even though they are making tons of money, they are spending at such a ridiculous rate they are essentially living paycheck to paycheck.

http://www.dailymail...ies-budget.html

The amazing part about that is that they go bankrupt WITHIN 2 YEARS of leaving the league. It just shows that even though they are making tons of money, they are spending at such a ridiculous rate they are essentially living paycheck to paycheck.

That is none of your business old man.

The numbers for Prosch don't add up. Minimum pay for a rookie is about $450,000.00 for the first year and goes up the next year. So if he signs a five year contract, he will make more that 1.6 million for his first contract. I think all drafted rookies sign a five year contract. Am I missing something?

contracts are for 4 years with a 5th year option. A percentage of that figure is paid in a bonus so on the outside it won`t add up.

Jay`s total contract is for $2,298,680. His bonus is $78,680. His total cash(before tax) for 2014 is $498,680. All rookies have a base salary for 2014 of $420,000 and add the $78,680 to get his total cash. The total is based on adding the first 4 years of salary. He will if he makes the team receive a raise each season. Start at $420,000; then $510,000; then $600,000; then $690,000. plus the $78,680 for his 4 year total.

Thanks Auctoritas. Found a complete list of each draft pic with all this info. If anyone needs or has any questions on our other draft pics, let me know. Be glad to share. WDE

contracts are for 4 years with a 5th year option. A percentage of that figure is paid in a bonus so on the outside it won`t add up.

Jay`s total contract is for $2,298,680. His bonus is $78,680. His total cash(before tax) for 2014 is $498,680. All rookies have a base salary for 2014 of $420,000 and add the $78,680 to get his total cash. The total is based on adding the first 4 years of salary. He will if he makes the team receive a raise each season. Start at $420,000; then $510,000; then $600,000; then $690,000. plus the $78,680 for his 4 year total.

Prosch has officially signed his rookie contract. Link

Archived