Projected NFL Paydays for AU Players

RunInRed

Divided by how many years?

I believe all rookie contracts are 5 years. I could be wrong, but I think that is the standard length.

so Prosch will only earn about 300k/year? How can you live on that?

Don't get a wife or kid.

If you can't live on $300,000 even with a wife and a few kids, you're doing it wrong.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say the Robinson family's financial struggles are over. I hope they all get good advice and spend it wisely.

He's already bought a $123,000 watch...

greg-jewelry-football-draft-photos-01-480w.jpg

that is a little disturbing.

He's about to make $21M over the next 5 years. In terms of percentage of income, it would be like you knowing you were going to make $80,000 a year for the next 5 years and deciding to buy a $2300 home theater system...TV, speakers, the works. Except that after spending that $2300 you've only got about $397,700 to live on over the next 5 yrs while he'll still have over $20 million.

Sure. It's not my money so I really don't give a damn what someone spends their money on. To me though, if you were going to drop 6 figures on something, why would it be a watch? My cell phone tells me the time whenever I need to know (LOL I know, I know, he didn't buy it to make sure he was on time to his meetings). Why not go with something a little bigger for that type of money? Like a car maybe haha

But if I was 20 years old and knew I was making 20 mill over the next 5 years I'd certainly make some questionable purchases as well.

I'd never in my life spend more than $200 on a watch, if you could get me to do that. I don't care what kind of money I'm making. But that's me. Everyone has that splurge item they'd buy that makes no logical sense if they came into big money. Hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

I'd never in my life spend more than $200 on a watch, if you could get me to do that. I don't care what kind of money I'm making. But that's me. Everyone has that splurge item they'd buy that makes no logical sense if they came into big money. Hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

Perspective changes with money...I used to make a LOT of money and would drop coin on stuff I would never pay that much for these days....

I hope this spending for non-essentials will not be indicative of his overall spending pattern. Many NFL people end up penniless because of such along with poor investment advice. Plant and orchard and live off of the fruit, and don't cut those trees for fire wood.

Since we're talking about it - If you didn't want it when it first aired, ESPN 30 for 30's "Broke" was a phenomenal look at how some of these athletes waste their money. Highly worth the watch. Look! I even found a bootleg copy on Youtube for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFEZCgE5ag

Since we're talking about it - If you didn't want it when it first aired, ESPN 30 for 30's "Broke" was a phenomenal look at how some of these athletes waste their money. Highly worth the watch. Look! I even found a bootleg copy on Youtube for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFEZCgE5ag

It's on Netflix's instant stream as well.

amen. a watch has a function. you can get one at walmart for 7$ and it will work the same. like you say you can get a nice watch for 200$ although i wont spend that, my wife has spent 300+ on one for me. I dont get it.

I'd say the Robinson family's financial struggles are over. I hope they all get good advice and spend it wisely.

He's about to make $21M over the next 5 years. In terms of percentage of income, it would be like you knowing you were going to make $80,000 a year for the next 5 years and deciding to buy a $2300 home theater system...TV, speakers, the works. Except that after spending that $2300 you've only got about $397,700 to live on over the next 5 yrs while he'll still have over $20 million.

i can make 80k a year for the rest of my working life or 25-30 more years. He could get injured and never play and not get much or any of that $ and what good does a 123K$ watch do you with no job or ability to earn like he will in the NFL. NFL $ is temporary. I hoped our players would come away with some evidence of maturity and common sense with how money works and how it goes much easier than it comes. As to your analogy yes 2300 for the theater system is maybe 1000$ higher than the minimum you will get that setup for. In other words you will need it, enjoy it and it would be covered under your homeowners policy for theft or fire. that watch is 122,500$ more than any reasonable human being should pay for a watch. nearly 100% overkill. when it's gone it's gone. i have no idea what you could do with a watch like that. could you insure it? that sounds ridiculous even asking about insuring a watch.

Everyone has that splurge item they'd buy that makes no logical sense if they came into big money.

Fortunately for me, expensive single-malt scotch makes a lot of sense...at least to me! :rolleyes::big:

...not that I've ever come into "big money" as a lowly professor.

To each their own, but if I had that kind of cash coming in I wouldn't spend a 123K on a watch..........it would be on a fast car or something.

My wife bought me a fossil watch with the AU logo on it for me 10 years ago, I think it was around $100 then, I've replace the battery once. I don't mind paying a little more for some things when it means you get more durability and life out of if.

Not a good start. Some athletes blow through an incredible amount of money. This is how.

For those of you judging GR's spending choices, what would you have blown the money on when you were 21? How would you like a bunch of old men telling you how dumb you were? Let him enjoy his money. If it becomes a habit, hopefully someone will talk sense into him.

Every NFL team has a Player Development staff who give financial and other advice to rookies as soon as they arrive. There's also a mandatory rookie symposium at the HOF in Canton in June. The NFL will give them sound advice on money and a bunch of the other stuff that comes with being in the league.

NFL players warn rookies: Stop spending!

Who wouldn't want to be Jadeveon Clowney?

The NFL's top draft pick just landed around a $22 million contract with the Houston Texans and bragging rights for life. His face is everywhere, and his name is a trending Twitter hastag.

But while Clowney -- and hundreds of other NFL rookies -- know a lot about football, they know little about managing money. Many are likely to end up bankrupt.

Just two years after their athletic careers end, 78% of former NFL players are bankrupt or nearly there, according to an analysis by Sports Illustrated.

"I've made millions and Iost millions," admits Eddie George, who was a first round draft pick in 1996 and went on to play nine seasons in the NFL as a running back.

"I bought a ton of jewelry coming out, cars, a stereo system that was worth more than the car," George says. "I found out real quick that money and ignorance is not a good combination."

Related: Why NFL players really go bankrupt

He was once in a shop in Atlanta and was so excited they had gator shoes that fit his size 14 feet that he bought 20 pairs. He's pretty sure he never wore any of them.

George, who has gone on to a successful acting and entrepreneurial career, advises young NFL players to live modestly and figure out what they need versus what they want.

keep reading

84, I was never quite that level of dumb. I do however wish I could roll back the clock exactly 20 years and listen to the old men giving me advice because I was dumb enough to now wish I had listened to it. Us old men just might know a thing or two.

Really? He just had a $21 million dollar pay day. Dude can afford it.

It's not a smart start is what they are saying, and they are correct.

My vice would be cars. I'm a big car guy and Id have to get me a nice 911 Turbo!

Good taste in cars, I would be right behind you at the dealership!

Car is OK. It performs a function. A watch is pretty much waste. Although I would not spend 123k on a car either but I could understand if he did.

It'll never cease to amaze me, the privilege that so many people grant themselves to judge strangers from afar based on a tiny morsel of information, devoid of any context. But I guess if we didn't have old guys who liked to sit around and bitch about how young men- whom they've never met and who are already far more successful than most of us will ever be- conduct themselves in their free time, then we wouldn't have sports forums at all.

It'll never cease to amaze me, the privilege that so many people grant themselves to judge strangers from afar based on a tiny morsel of information, devoid of any context. But I guess if we didn't have old guys who liked to sit around and bitch about how young men- whom they've never met and who are already far more successful than most of us will ever be- conduct themselves in their free time, then we wouldn't have sports forums at all.

Exactly what I've been thinking reading all of these responses.

Judging a specific action, regardless of who engages in it, isn't judging a person. You, however, just judged a lot of folks you'll never meet and did so not based on what they did, but what you illogically concluded.

Judging a specific action, regardless of who engages in it, isn't judging a person. You, however, just judged a lot of folks you'll never meet and did so not based on what they did, but what you illogically concluded.

You're right, I just judged a lot of folks. You're just attempting to hide behind semantics with the rest. I'm comfortable with what I said. I'll see my way out of this thread now, have a blast with the rest of the castigation, er, discussion.

Archived