It's time for the defense to carry it's weight

StatTiger

Improvement is the name of the game this year. You can not expect a top quality SEC defense yet. We do not have the talent in place yet. But ,you do expect a much improved defense with more depth in all areas. Until we get the middle and the back side of our defense fixed we will be porous. When we see the linebackers/cb's jam the inside and stop the running game and see the secondary begin to be a force on the outside with the receivers, and those same linebackers/cb's catching the inside on the tightends and backs...... then you will see a dominating defense. Ellis, i think will be much more aggressive this year than last and this will help on coverage problems...also, the talent level is improving with every class..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Improvement is the name of the game this year. You can not expect a top quality SEC defense yet. We do not have the talent in place yet. But ,you do expect a much improved defense with more depth in all areas. Until we get the middle and the back side of our defense fixed we will be porous. When we see the linebackers/cb's jam the inside and stop the running game and see the secondary begin to be a force on the outside with the receivers, and those same linebackers/cb's catching the inside on the tightends and backs...... then you will see a dominating defense. Ellis, i think will be much more aggressive this year than last and this will help on coverage problems...also, the talent level is improving with every class..

I totally agree with this post ^^ I believe this year is the one where we really see the player development that this monster coaching staff brings to the table. It has been a while since we've seen really good player development. I also think you nailed when you said CEJ will be more aggressive this year. I think we see a lot more corner blitzes and I think we might even double the amount of turnovers we force.

I agree with the first two sentences, but after that, it gets dicey, and it's echoed in your final statement: recruiting has been outstanding for five years running now, so not having talent isn't the issue. We have the talent to play with anybody in the country, and we showed that last year. It's not like we were just tricking them with some fad offense. We didn't even spread the field all that much.

The name of the game is controlling the line of scrimmage. The reason we had such a clutch defense (among the best nationally in 3rd down and red zone percentages) is because of the line, and as much as we lost, including a first round DE, the line has the makings of being every bit as good, if not better, than last year.

We return both starters at linebacker, which bodes extremely well considering the responsibility CEJ gives them. We also know now that we'll return Anthony Swain as well as Kenny Flowers, both of whom have the size to play the position properly and a year on the field, and that's not to mention Cameron Toney, who redshirted while learning the defense last year, or the two recruits who will be reporting in the coming weeks (one of whom is a five star).

Then in the defensive backfield we return a great deal of starting experience (Mincy, Holsey, Whitehead, Therezie), as well as a few younger players who saw significant action last year, to go along with a marquee DB signing class that includes three prep four star players and a JUCO DB who is the prototypical boundary safety for CEJ's 4-2-5 (expect Derrick Moncrief's name to be mentioned early and often this year).

To say we aren't talented enough is to do a disservice to our players. They have to come together the right way for things to click, and under no circumstances should we expect to be a top quality SEC defense this year...but we absolutely have the talent to get there this season, just like we had the talent to lead the country in rushing last season.

I'm not Stat and don't pretend to be, by a long shot. I do know this: Last year, in our six biggest games we gave up 35, 41, 38, 28, 42 and 34 points. If that happens again we won't get back to Atlanta.

Sure we can Mikey! LSU/aTm/UGA/UAT will all have new QB's and won't be able to score in those numbers this year - Advantage to AU's improved defense and returnign veteran offense.

I'm not Stat and don't pretend to be, by a long shot. I do know this: Last year, in our six biggest games we gave up 35, 41, 38, 28, 42 and 34 points. If that happens again we won't get back to Atlanta.

Sure we can Mikey! LSU/aTm/UGA/UAT will all have new QB's and won't be able to score in those numbers this year - Advantage to AU's improved defense and returnign veteran offense.

The only thing that scares me about UGA and UAT is that we play them so late in the season. They'll have had time to get through those new QB growing pains and will be playing their best ball.. barring injuries of course.

The only thing that scares me about UGA and UAT is that we play them so late in the season. They'll have had time to get through those new QB growing pains and will be playing their best ball.. barring injuries of course.

Not to mention that both will be playing in front of a home crowd, rather than Jordan-Hare.

CEJ wants a fast defense--not just because he practices against the Gus Bus, but because he sees it as the necessary trend in football as the hurry-up offensive philosophy spreads:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/05/keeping_pace_auburns_defense_f.html

Seems like back in the day when "offense sold tickets, but defense won championships", SEC defenses dominated by being fast more so than big. I always enjoyed seeing those fast southern boys overwhelm the slow behemoths of the Big 10 or Big 12. I like fast defenses, and I like the defensive fireworks such teams can bring to a game. A great sack, a full speed hit/stop, or a pretty interception excite me as much as an offensive score.

Not to mention that both will be playing in front of a home crowd, rather than Jordan-Hare.

We hold a significant "Visiting Field Advantage" in both places. I'd rather play those two on the road than at home were it not for the inconvenient travel involved.

We hold a significant "Visiting Field Advantage" in both places. I'd rather play those two on the road than at home were it not for the inconvenient travel involved.

I'd rather play anybody at JHS.

http://m.bleacherrep...ayoff-run?tsm=1

Love or hate BR, this is a good article on our DL.

It didn't teach me anything new BUT it's really good to see that someone agrees with me. Can we just go ahead and fast forward to the season now?!?!

I hope Johnson's 2014 defense will finally step up and stop giving up lots of yards and lots of points like they did in 2013.

I hope Johnson's 2014 defense will finally step up and stop giving up lots of yards and lots of points like they did in 2013.

I feel I have heard this some where before...

If coach Johnson continues to run that 4-2-5 defense, he batter learn how to stop giving up big plays after big plays which turned into lots of yards and points for the other team.

If coach Johnson continues to run that 4-2-5 defense, he batter learn how to stop giving up big plays after big plays which turned into lots of yards and points for the other team.

Yeah, I remember that it was Chiz's fault that Roof and Van Gorder's defenses were leaky.....so will it be Gus's fault if Johnson's defense doesn't get MUCH better?

As for the Athlon story...I think people underrate McElroy and AJ....and what they did for their team. I think their mission was to avoid making mistakes and not lose the games....but in the SEC that's not an insignificant responsibility. Coker hasn't played enough to draw conclusions but it's a very open question as to whether the current QBs over there can "manage a game" without getting panicked under a heavy pass rush or throw some untimely interceptions.

And JMO but one thing that made Bama defense so good was the ability of their offense to dominate the time of possession and keep the opponents off the field. If the UAT offense is less dominant, their D might find itself on the field a lot more and have a few more problems with HUNH.

you are so mean bird

I'm hoping like everything that coach Johnson will do a better job with his defense this time around. His playing calling lost the NC.

I'm hoping like everything that coach Johnson will do a better job with his defense this time around. His playing calling lost the NC.

hmmmm...

That 4-2-5 defense gave up big plays which in turn gave up lots of yards and a lot of points during 2013. Our defense couldn't hold them in the final 13 seconds. Cause if had, we could have won our 2nd national championship in 3 years.To come that close and lose still gets under my skin.

Chizik caught flack for the defense because he is a defensive coach...

Chizik caught flack for the defense because he is a defensive coach...

I thought he caught flak because the D was deficient (especially in the tackling department).

:poke:

Archived