***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, as I'm sure it has been, but what's the timeline on his commitment? Has to be by December 14?

1. Mid December is when he wants to. 2. No. Jucos don't have to sign an NLI. They can just show up and start classes by the latter 1/3 in January just like mid year high school enrollies can.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1. Mid December is when he wants to. 2. No. Jucos don't have to sign an NLI. They can just show up and start classes by the latter 1/3 in January just like mid year high school enrollies can.

Okay, I understand. Thanks, E. 

I will say what everyone is thinking Tomorrow is the single biggest recruiting pitch of Gus career up to this point. If AU gets Stidham next year there will be a lot of optimism and hope that is actually validated and warranted going in to next season. If we don't?? Same ol same ol from last year. Gus is on the hot seat. Questions about QB recruiting and the depth of the position behind Sean White. SW health yadda yadda yadda. Come on GUSTAV!!!!!! For once in your Auburn HC career seal the frickin deal PLUUUUUUUUHLEAAAAAAAASE!!!!!! Signed, A disgruntled fanbase.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I thought JUCO players had to sign a to sign an NLI like high school players do.

No and high school players don't have to sign either.

If Stidham does not come to Auburn and everything I have read seems to say he isn't, are there any other top flight quarterbacks they have their eyes on who are really interested in Auburn?

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will say what everyone is thinking Tomorrow is the single biggest recruiting pitch of Gus career up to this point. If AU gets Stidham next year there will be a lot of optimism and hope that is actually validated and warranted going in to next season. If we don't?? Same ol same ol from last year. Gus is on the hot seat. Questions about QB recruiting and the depth of the position behind Sean White. SW health yadda yadda yadda. Come on GUSTAV!!!!!! For once in your Auburn HC career seal the frickin deal PLUUUUUUUUHLEAAAAAAAASE!!!!!! Signed, A disgruntled fanbase.

He's sealed the deal on multiple recruits in his tenure here... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

He's sealed the deal on multiple recruits in his tenure here... 

please show me those elite qbs he has sealed the deal on?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

If Stidham does not come to Auburn and everything I have read seems to say he isn't, are there any other top flight quarterbacks they have their eyes on who are really interested in Auburn?

There aren't any known top flight QBs even available. If we miss on JS it looks like we would have to hit a Grad Transfer QB lottery to bring in an already quality QB.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You made it sound like you were referring to all the recruits towards the beginning and then I didn't read through it all the way through. 

Edited by ClaytonAU

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

You made it sound like you were referring to all the recruits towards the beginning and then I didn't read through it all the way through. 

of course not. derrick brown last year alone could of stifled that argument. My gripe with gus when it comes to recruiting is QB.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

of course not. derrick brown last year alone could of stifled that argument. My gripe with gus when it comes to recruiting is QB.

Honestly that's one of my only issues. That and his play calling and stubbornness to adapt to a new scheme. He's done well with recruiting elsewhere and we got unlucky with injuries and stuff these last two years. He's not that bad. 

• Like 1

No doubt the combo Gus/Herb visit with Brahms was to make sure our near-future worldclass O line depth that these QB recruits will work behind at Auburn is still a selling point for us.

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Honestly that's one of my only issues. That and his play calling and stubbornness to adapt to a new scheme. He's done well with recruiting elsewhere and we got unlucky with injuries and stuff these last two years. He's not that bad. 

JMO but the real problem started when he/we over-estimated what we could expect from JJ and talking about a the "ladder" of QBs for years to come.....and perhaps we slacked off on QB recruiting....or perhaps recruits saw the hype and figured they would on the bench for 2 or 3 years.   Just noting that we have not really busted it going after some QBs for the last few years...and I'm aware of Narcisse (sp) but he's been gone for a long time.  So now, we don't have a QB commit from the Rivals top 50 QBs for 2017.   We just can't leap into a recruiting battle at the last minute and expect to pull in a guy against schools that have been tracking the player for several years.   

AND....I can't recall that the state of Alabama HSs have produced a top QB in the past few years.....some pretty good players, I guess but I don't see any of them starting anywhere serious.    For such a critical position, we have to recruit nationwide and never assume anything about the guys we have.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cam Newton, JJ, Sean White. Nick Marshall was a good QB prospect, but probably not elite.

33 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

It would rain for the first time in a while in Auburn while Stidham is on a visit. 

After a two month drought where I live I would swap any QB  for about 3 inches of rain...:)   If he is from West Texas he might not know what it is...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Cam Newton, JJ, Sean White. Nick Marshall was a good QB prospect, but probably not elite.

JJ is nowhere near elite. He was miss evaluated by the staff and all the sites. I love Sean but he can't be classified than anything better than "really good when healthy". Elite QBs have to be durable enough to handle a full season too. Cam was the only elite so far.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

JJ is nowhere near elite. He was miss evaluated by the staff and all the sites. I love Sean but he can't be classified than anything better than "really good when healthy". Wlite QBs have to be durable enough to handle a full season too. Cam was the only elite so far.

But all were considered elite by several recruiting sources.

• Like 1

Again, as a prospect, he was considered elite. Hindsight doesn't change the recruiting aspect of his courtship. He didn't pan out, but he was an elite QB prospect.

Johnson and Newton both fit the bill. Regardless of whether it came true or not, they were considered home run QBs at the time they signed. Marshall, Queen, White were good prospects but not considered elite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Mid level 4* is not elite. That's what Sean & JJ were ranked. Averaging their rankings on all 4 sites JJ was 166 overall & Sean 144. Elite does not start coming into play til you get to the top 50 but no worse than top 100.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Again, as a prospect, he was considered elite. Hindsight doesn't change the recruiting aspect of his courtship. He didn't pan out, but he was an elite QB prospect.

Johnson and Newton both fit the bill. Regardless of whether it came true or not, they were considered home run QBs at the time they signed. Marshall, Queen, White were good prospects but not considered elite.

Again 166 overall is not elite, not even close. And if he was truly elite why was Ole Miss the only other major school really going after him?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Mid level 4* is not elite. That's what Sean & JJ were ranked. Averaging their rankings on all 4 sites JJ was 166 overall & Sean 144. Elite does not start coming into play til you get to the top 50 but no worse than top 100.

Depends on the criteria you choose. JJ was chosen for the All-America Bowl, Sean was MVP of his all-star game and the top performer at the elite 11.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If you really want to judge who is an "elite" player, just look who Saban is recruiting.  And I'm not talking about who Saban has sent a letter to, but someone who he is really hard after.  Not a single QB we have recruited over the past 8 years was targeted by him, including JJ.  Saban is the best judge of talent I think I've ever seen,