***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really......http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=201950  check his stats.... after his freshman year....more passing, less rushing, similar stats....but vared year to year.... likely based on the cast he was surrounded by.

But I'm glad to hear from Dak and that he is having a good year at Dallas. 

He improved greatly just to be able to pass more and run less. His first couple of years he started he was all legs. He became a complete quarterback though and he didn't have to run as much his senior year. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

And of course, how do guys like these ever get so self-centered that they actually believe that after a couple years of college they will be able to compete as a QB in the NFL ?   Seems to me that most of these 5* QBs live in a fantasy world. 

At the same time... this is the opinion of a sports writer. No one has heard Stidham say that he believes he has a shot of being one and done. 

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time... this is the opinion of a sports writer. No one has heard Stidham say that he believes he has a shot of being one and done. 

You're correct about only being a sport writer saying this, but probably didn't come up with this on his own.  It seem a logical statement if T A&M wants to still keep Mond in the fold and can be what was told to this reporter by Sumlin.

Sumlin has misreprented his position to QBs in the past.

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Man to read this thread you wouldn't know just four days ago we were 3rd in the nation in rushing 1st in sec and have a 6'0 195# qb that runs about a 4.8 with just over mediocre arm strength leading the sec in completion % and qbr and about #8 in the nation. And ranked in the top 8 teams...It would sound like we sucked and having no success at all. 

Not only sounding like Auburn was bad and having no success at all, but will continue to suck as long as Malzahn is the head coach. Maybe the Holy Grail of coaches is out there somewhere for Auburn to hire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You're correct about only being a sport writer saying this, but probably didn't come up with this on his own.  It seem a logical statement if T A&M wants to still keep Mond in the fold and can be what was told to this reporter by Sumlin.

Sumlin has misreprented his position to QBs in the past.

I have no trouble believing Sumlin is trying to sell it... I'm just not ready to believe that Stidham is buying, at this point. I'd be more inclined to believe that Stidham wants to stay in Texas and play in the SEC at a school known for it's passing attack, and Mond would be the one who has to buy Sumlin's story.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I have no trouble believing Sumlin is trying to sell it... I'm just not ready to believe that Stidham is buying, at this point. I'd be more inclined to believe that Stidham wants to stay in Texas and play in the SEC at a school known for it's passing attack, and Mond would be the one who has to buy Sumlin's story.

I don't think Stidham needs to buy anything, he's in the driver's seat.  If he goes to T A&M and doesn't receive a grade of 1st or 2nd round in the 2018 draft then he can go back to A&M and be their starting QB in 2018.  You're correct, Mond has to buy it and if Mond's family can remember the recent history about A&M's QB controversy, he should be looking around.  Hope it out well for Auburn.

I hope Gus ditches his no-negative recruiting policy just once and points out to JS that this TAMU sales pitch Sumlin is using on him is the same thing he said to the 124 other QBs that have left his program

Actually I hope we ditch the no negative recruiting policy altogether and start doing w/e we need to do, legally, to land kids. 

Edited by Tiger

14 hours ago, alexava said:

Man to read this thread you wouldn't know just four days ago we were 3rd in the nation in rushing 1st in sec and have a 6'0 195# qb that runs about a 4.8 with just over mediocre arm strength leading the sec in completion % and qbr and about #8 in the nation. And ranked in the top 8 teams...It would sound like we sucked and having no success at all. 

I don't think anyone would argue with you that we are awesome at rushing the ball and when SW is healthy he is a quality SEC QB. But this is a thread about Stidham, not running backs, and this is about having a quality QB to take over or for if/when SW misses more games with an injury like he has the last few years. We need QBs that actually had success at being a QB when SW goes out again. 

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I don't think anyone would argue with you that we are awesome at rushing the ball and when SW is healthy he is a quality SEC QB. But this is a thread about Stidham, not running backs, and this is about having a quality QB to take over or for if/when SW misses more games with an injury like he has the last few years. We need QBs that actually had success at being a QB when SW goes out again. 

Actually it is a pile on and criticize Gus thread now. I could copy and paste this post in half dozen other threads and it would fit there too 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, alexava said:

Actually it is a pile on and criticize Gus thread now. I could copy and paste this post in half dozen other threads and it would fit there too 

I think that most AU fans, including yourself, probably sees the importance of this QB recruit as in pertains to the continued success for AU in the near future... or you would not have clicked on this thread. Getting a healthy qb seems like a must this year for the AU program.

Of course WB may be the future.  

This site definitely fluctuates between "our staff/players/everything is the best in the country" to essentially "everyone needs to be fired ASAP" extremely violently. We had a patchwork roster going into the UGA game. Could CGM have tried to navigate it a little differently? Yes, but the cards were stacked against us going into the game and the injury bug had slowly been creeping up on us until we hit the tipping point which is what we saw on Saturday.

It's frustrating because we look SO bad when we lose IMO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hope Gus ditches his no-negative recruiting policy just once and points out to JS that this TAMU sales pitch Sumlin is using on him is the same thing he said to the 124 other QBs that have left his program

Pointing out the reality of a situation to a kid isn't negative recruiting, as far as I'm concerned. Saying a coach is going to be fired when there is no evidence to back it up, or talking trash about a staff or a school.  That's negative recruiting.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Getting a healthy qb seems like a must this year for the AU program.

Of course WB may be the future.  

Even if he is the future, our current situation makes it abundantly clear that we need at least one high quality back-up... probably more.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Even if he is the future, our current situation makes it abundantly clear that we need at least one high quality back-up... probably more.

I can't cite to any statistics,  but I would be surprised if that many college teams have the luxury of having a quality backup. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I can't cite to any statistics,  but I would be surprised if that many college teams have the luxury of having a quality backup. 

I've yet to see one lose their QB and fall apart like we are. Heck even Jake Hubenak allows A&M to have an offense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

We don't even have a backup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Sean is the backup.

JJ was the plan for 2015 and JF3 for 2016...

Didn't quite work out that way.

Sean is the starter, Gus' love affair with JFIII is why we don't have a quality backup.  Gus put all his energy into JFIII, (Gus' Folly) it was nothing but a pipe dream to make him THE QB and that's what didn't work out.  It took all year, but it finally bit him in the a$$.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Sean is the starter, Gus' love affair with JFIII is why we don't have a quality backup.  Gus put all his energy into JFIII, (Gus' Folly) it was nothing but a pipe dream to make him THE QB and that's what didn't work out.  It took all year, but it finally bit him in the a$$.

This is so true. People need to come to realize that Gus will forever want an athlete or DT as his QB. Quite frankly I think SW has gotten the short end of the stick here. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

It's not about being quality as much as compotent. I am not expecting every back up to come out and pull a Tyler Wilson but we should have someone who can run the base offense and be reliable 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I've yet to see one lose their QB and fall apart like we are. Heck even Jake Hubenak allows A&M to have an offense.

I would probably take Jeremy Johnson over Jake Hubernak.

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I would probably take Jeremy Johnson over Jake Hubernak.

As shocking as it may be, Hubenak, over the past 3 games, actually has a better QBR than Sean does for the season.  In fact, comparing apples to apples, he had a better game against Mississippi State than Sean did.

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

Sean is the backup.

JJ was the plan for 2015 and JF3 for 2016...

Didn't quite work out that way.

Are we already ditching WB? Him, SW, and Bishop wouldn't be a bad depth chart. Still want Stidham, but somehow I see our QB situation being a slight bit better next year.

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Are we already ditching WB? Him, SW, and Bishop wouldn't be a bad depth chart. Still want Stidham, but somehow I see our QB situation being a slight bit better next year.

we need not look at it like "ditching" anybody. you get the best available and let them compete, the best wins. we all want the best we can get if it is stidham then awesome. sean will compete.

• Like 3