A note on Alabama's offense

AU!

How often will they show an 8 or 9 men in the box look? Facing double TEs, will they walk the safeties up a lot?

Do you think there will be more blitzing? Less blitzing? Same?

We'll load the box for sure. We've faced better passing attacks for sure and as much as Bama fans like to think that McCarron is heisman quality, he's benefited more from his supporting cast than any QB since...well... Greg McElroy.

I took a look at the numbers and here's how strong passing offenses have fared against us this year:

WSU - Connor Halliday had a strong showing against us in the first half with 290 passing yards. The team grew a lot during this game and shut them down in the second half, allowing only 54 passing yards.

Ole Miss - 154 passing yards in the first half. We let off the gas but they still only had 186 passing yards in the second half.

Texas A&M - Nobody has been able to stop A&M's offense all year, so it was no surprise that we allowed 267 passing yards in the first half. But the defense stayed strong in the second half and allowed 202 yards.

UGA - Just as we did against Ole Miss, the defense stepped up in the first half and allowed only 152 passing yards. But combining the short routes that UGA ran with the soft coverage that CEJ installed, they picked up 263 passing yards in the second half.

I've stated before that the key for Auburn will be to keep it close going into the half. After allowing an Air Raid offense to put up 290 yards in the air against us in week 1, only one team has had similar success in the first half, and that's A&M.

If you think Alabama is going to see that kind of success against us, at home, in the first half, you've got another thing coming. I'm not going to say that you can't beat us, but if you do, it will have to be either with your running game or by forcing turnovers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think Alabama is going to see that kind of success against us, at home, in the first half, you've got another thing coming. I'm not going to say that you can't beat us, but if you do, it will have to be either with your running game or by forcing turnovers.

Auburn has the 100th ranked passing defense in the nation and last in the SEC. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to throw the ball.

If you think AJ is Greg McElroy then you're up for some significant disappointment. But it would explain why you think our offense sucks.

OM threw it for 340 yards against you. A week after the same QB went 17/31 for 159 yards.

"Only" allowing 150+ yards in a half is not good. That's over 300 a game. If AJ puts up 150 yards on you in the first half, you're going to get slaughtered.

Auburn has the 100th ranked passing defense in the nation and last in the SEC. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to throw the ball.

If you think AJ is Greg McElroy then you're up for some significant disappointment. But it would explain why you think our offense sucks.

OM threw it for 340 yards against you. A week after the same QB went 17/31 for 159 yards.

"Only" allowing 150+ yards in a half is not good. That's over 300 a game. If AJ puts up 150 yards on you in the first half, you're going to get slaughtered.

Well not to nit pick, AU is not last in pass defense in SEC. MO is. The difference between top and bottom is about 100 yds per game. While substantial. That difference can truly be 2 or 3 plays.

Well not to nit pick, AU is not last in pass defense in SEC. MO is. The difference between top and bottom is about 100 yds per game. While substantial. That difference can truly be 2 or 3 plays.

True, plus Auburn has had 97 more passes attempted on them than Bama, and we give up 81 yards per game more than Bama. Would I prefer to have Bama's stats? Sure. But the extra 9 or so passes per game against us helps to explain the yardage disparity.

That's a ton. And I'm not trying to be rude at all. But 100 yards per game is a ton difference. Especially when the top only gives up 157 yards passing total.

Archived