2015 4* QB Kai Locksley (Texas signee)

ellitor

For the life of me, I can't understand how you guys can prefer one QB over another at this point. All you have to go on is a few video highlights and snippets from published interviews. Recruiting is such an inexact science for those who do it for a living that I can't understand how any of you think you know better than the coaches who have watched tons more film, often seen games in person, and had extensive personal communication with the kids. On top of that is knowing the rest of the team and how one kid's personal chemistry might be more likely to mesh with his teammates. All 3 of our remaining QB targets are impressive, and I'll trust the coaches to make the call which one they think will best help Auburn win.

Nobody is saying nor implying they know more than the coaches so with all due respect you can get off your critical high horse right there. We are all human beings here, which means we all are free thinking creatures who have opinions. Most, if not all of us, are completely on board with whatever the staff does in terms of recruiting certain players. Given we rarely know the staff's exact plans we are fully entitled to our opinions til ink hits paper on NSD Also people can watch the highlights and determine based on their individual preferences what they like. What also goes into those opinions are evals from recruiting services some times. For example, I like Deondre Francois because he can make every throw in the book and in any weather condition. Another person may like Torrence Gibson more because he runs like a 6'4 version of Michael Vick. Neither opinion is better than the other nor should either be devalued

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as condescending. I can understand someone preferring one player over another, but I'm not enough of a recruitnik to keep up with some of the subtle differences, so when someone professes a preference without any explanation (as with several posts in this forum), I find it a little baffling. Carry on.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as condescending. I can understand someone preferring one player over another, but I'm not enough of a recruitnik to keep up with some of the subtle differences, so when someone professes a preference without any explanation (as with several posts in this forum), I find it a little baffling. Carry on.

We're good. :cheers:

We're good. :cheers:/>

84, as E mentioned before, each if these 3 DT QB's has their own style. A particular style may be the reason some of us prefer one over the other. I think we all would very happily take any of the 3 in reality. They are all exceptional athletes, but they are all different.

This is just my opinion but here are some things on these guys that may sway you to one over the other:

Gibson - freak of an athlete, extremely fast and can go the distance once past the defensive line. For his height he has great moves. He will need to work mainly on perfecting his accuracy and motion when passing the ball. His upside is off the charts.

Locksley - another very good athlete and his dad is a college coach. He understands the game well and can throw and run at a high level. IMO, he is not as good a runner as Gibson, but he is an excellent runner, and he is not as good a passer as Francois but he is a good passer. At this point he may be the best combo. Of runner and passer of the 3.

Francois - he is an excellent passer, has a strong arm and can already make all the throws a college QB needs to make. He can run well, but does not have the moves or speed of Gibson or Locksley. He is the best passer of the bunch.

Anyway, for what it's worth they are all great and may all excel in college, but non are guarantees.

I think it will come down to Locksley or Gibson.

4ever, they are both terrific. I know you like Kai, I do too, but Gibson is a huge get as well. I will be happy with either, and Francois too (I think he goes to Fl St).Tonight was actually a good night for AU based on the commit to UT. I think it is possible that both Kai and Gibson will want to goto AU>

E has recently posted that Kai is now 4th on our second QB for the class of 2015 list. Behind:

Gibson

Francois

Jackson

I find this interesting.

I wonder if:

1. Kai has lost interest in us and we don't think we have a chance.

2. We think Kai is a silent to FSU or MD, or we have a good feeling he will be committing to either of those 2 schools

Oh well. just wondering. I posted a similar question on Jackson's thread.

E has recently posted that Kai is now 4th on our second QB for the class of 2015 list. Behind:

Gibson

Francois

Jackson

I find this interesting.

I wonder if:

1. Kai has lost interest in us and we don't think we have a chance.

2. We think Kai is a silent to FSU or MD, or we have a good feeling he will be committing to either of those 2 schools

Oh well. just wondering. I posted a similar question on Jackson's thread.

I doubt either one is it. It's more likely both DF and LJ passed Kai on Lashlee's 2 eval days of each player. Both have camped well through this circuit also.

I didn't know Kai's dad (Mike) is Maryland's OC and is good friends with Jimbo Fisher.

PrinterIcon.gif

biotag.png

UMPCBWFPFYFDHKB.20130416103755.jpegZoom.gif

Mike Locksley Position: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Alma Mater: Towson '92 Experience: 8 Years Email: locksley@umd.edu

Mike Locksley is in his second season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and his eighth overall season at Maryland.

A native of Washington, D.C., Locksley returned home to rejoin the Terrapins after the 2011 season. He was an assistant coach at Maryland for six seasons (1997-2002).

This year, Locksley engineered a Terrapin offense that topped 3,000 yards passing for only the fourth time in program history and the first time since the 1994 season. The Terps averaged 14.05 yards per completion in 13 games, the 16th-highest average nationally among FBS programs.

Under center, Locksley helped quarterback C.J. Brown become the first Terrapin player to pass for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 500 yards in a single season despite missing two of his top wide receivers in Stefon Diggs and Deon Long. Brown was responsible for 25 touchdowns, which tied for the second-highest single-season total in program history.

In 2012, Locksley coached five different quarterbacks, including three true freshmen and a converted linebacker.

Despite the constant shuffling at quarterback, Locksley found a way to get the ball in his playmakers hands. True freshman Stefon Diggs led the team with 54 receptions for 848 yards (15.7 ypc), the most ever by a Maryland freshman. Diggs also caught six touchdowns and was named ACC Rookie of the Week three times.

A veteran coach with over 20 years of experience, Locksley previously spent four seasons (2005-08) as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the University of Illinois and two-plus years (2009-2011) as head coach at the University of New Mexico

He possesses a well-rounded coaching resume, having tutored every offensive or defensive position except offensive line.

Locksley is also known for strong recruiting skills. He was listed as a top-25 recruiter in the nation three different times (2003, 2005, 2006) and was a finalist for 2007 recruiter of the year by Rivals.com. He also engineered top-10 recruiting classes during each of his two seasons (2003-04) as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of Florida.

Locksley’s first stint as an offensive coordinator was quite a success. He took over an Illinois offense which was ranked No. 86 nationally in total offense (338.1 yards per game) and gradually improved it to a top 20 unit.

The Illini went from No. 72 nationally in total offense (354.6 ypg) in 2005 to No. 19 (438.3 ypg) in 2008. They led the Big Ten in rushing in 2006 (188.8 ypg) and 2007 (256.7 ypg), and in passing (269.3 ypg) in 2008. The rushing attack was twice ranked in the top 10 nationally (No. 10 in 2006; No. 5 in 2007).

Under Locksley’s tutelage, quarterback Juice Williams passed for more than 6,000 yards and rushed for over 2,000 in his three years under Locksley and was a 2008 All-Big Ten choice.

Williams set school records for rushing yards by a quarterback and single-season total offense. Williams led the Big Ten in passing (3,173 yards) and total offense (3,892 yards) in 2008 and was third in passing efficiency (136.15 rating).

The 2007 Illinois offense became just the third unit in school history to surpass the 5,000-yard mark and first to top 3,000 rushing yards. Led by Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year Rashard Mendenhall, the Illini led the league in rushing for the second straight year and finished fifth nationally at 256.7 yards a game.

Mendenhall, who averaged 129 rushing yards, was a first-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2008 NFL Draft.

While at Illinois, Locksley helped develop running back Mikel Leshoure, who was taken in the second round (57th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions. He also mentored offensive linemen Jon Asamoah and Jeff Allen, who were both drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Asamoah was selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft, and Allen was taken in the second round (44th overall) in 2012.

Illinois played USC in the 2008 Rose Bowl and finished the season ranked 18th in the nation in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ poll and 20th by the Associated Press following a 9-4 season.

In 2006, Locksley led an Illinois offense that paced the Big Ten and ranked 10th in the nation in rushing, averaging 188.8 yards. He tutored versatile running back Pierre Thomas, a two-time honorable mention all-league pick, who wrapped up his career as the No. 6 all-time rusher at Illinois and has gone on to star with the New Orleans Saints.

Locksley helped put the players in place to aid in Illinois’ resurgence. He was named the No. 5 recruiter in the Big Ten and ranked among the top 20 in the nation by Sports Illustrated. In 2005, Rivals.com named him a top-25 recruiter.

Prior to his arrival at Illinois, Locksley worked two seasons for Zook at Florida, serving as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Both of those seasons ended with bowl-game appearances.

In 2004, Gators’ running back Ciatrick Fason led the SEC and ranked 19th in the NCAA in rushing (105.6 yards a game) en route to second-team all-league honors. That season, Florida finished first in the SEC in both passing yards (271 per game) and total offense (426.9 ypg) and was second in scoring (31.8 points per game). The year prior, three Gator rushers logged more than 500 rushing yards and each averaged at least 5.5 yards per carry.

Locksley had success both recruiting and grooming players in his first stint in College Park. He oversaw the running backs during his entire tenure, including the final five as recruiting coordinator.

Three different running backs - Chris Downs, Bruce Perry and LaMont Jordan - gained more than 1,000 yards and were named first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference.

Jordan spearheaded a 1999 rushing attack that led the ACC (234.1 ypg) and ranked 12th in the nation. Jordan was the runner-up for 1997 ACC Rookie of the Year and finished as a Doak Walker semifinalist. He went to be selected in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft and totaled more than 3,700 yards for four teams in a nine-year professional career.

Perry was the 2001 ACC Offensive Player of the Year, a first for a Maryland running back, and the first sophomore to win the award. Both Perry and Jordan earned All-America honors under Locksley’s watch.

Locksley played safety at Towson University, where he was the team’s defensive MVP as a senior in 1991. He finished his career ranked 19th on the school’s all-time tackles list and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and marketing.

He got his coaching career started the following year at Towson, overseeing the defensive backs coach and special teams unit. He went on to coach at the U.S. Naval Prep School (1993-94), Pacific (1995) and Army (1996).

He helped Army reach the 1996 Independence Bowl and has coached in five other postseason games.

Locksley and his wife, Kia, have four children: three sons (Mike, Jr., Meiko and Kai) and one daughter (Kori).

The Locksley File

Personal

Date of Birth: Dec. 25, 1969

Hometown: Washington, D.C..

Alma Mater: Towson 1992

Coaching Experience

Maryland

2012-Present: Assistant Coach- Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

New Mexico

2009-11: Head Coach

Illinois

2006-08: Assistant Coach- Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

2005: Assistant Coach- Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends

Florida

2003-04: Assistant Coach- Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator

Maryland

1998-02: Assistant Coach- Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator

1997: Assistant Coach- Running Backs

Army

1996: Assistant Coach- Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Pacific

1995: Assistant Coach- Outside Linebackers

U.S. Naval Prep School

1994: Assistant Coach- Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line

1993: Assistant Coach- Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs

Towson

1992: Assistant Coach- Defensive Backs/Special Teams

Playing Experience

Towson

1989-91: Defensive Back

Recruiting Area • Primary: Washington, D.C. and Prince George’s County

• Secondary: Chicago and Tampa Bay, Fla.

Kai has been retweeting Stephon Diggs' tweets about staying home and sting for his city. Maybe the Terps are still in this...

I didn't know Kai's dad (Mike) is Maryland's OC and is good friends with Jimbo Fisher.

Wow that is new news!

Not sure if serious.

http://www.aufamily....18#entry1951575

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm also realizing that it's not possible to un-ironically use the NSIS meme.

Message board skills- 1

mcloofus- 0

Wow that is new news!

Not sure if serious.

http://www.aufamily....18#entry1951575

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm also realizing that it's not possible to un-ironically use the NSIS meme.

Message board skills- 1

mcloofus- 0

Killin me mcloofus!

I smell a bunch of bammers behind this. I strongly urge the Auburn Family NOT to post anything that says anything bad about Kai and his Mother. He's still one of the top QB's coming out of high school that we're still recruiting really hard. Please, don't screw things up.

I smell a bunch of bammers behind this. I strongly urge the Auburn Family NOT to post anything that says anything bad about Kai and his Mother. He's still one of the top QB's coming out of high school that we're still recruiting really hard. Please, don't screw things up.

We are not recruiting him hard and he is not a take now. The picture was originally reposted by the owner of AU's 247 site.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI Kai doesn't even list AU in his top 3 anymore. Lists a top 3 of FSU, Maryland, and Texas.

Also plans to commit at first game of season...

@TerrapinNation: 4-star Gilman QB Kai Locksley says he will announce his college decision at halftime of his season opener vs. St. Edwards on ESPN. #Terps

Archived