sorry folks but i do not think jj is ready yet

aubiefifty

i am not dissing him at all and i know he has major skills but the couple of plays he did play saturday he looked like a true freshman. sometimes some of us need to be careful what we wish for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in his defense, you can't play one play per quarter and look like a seasoned veteran. He needs to play at least a complete series to get the feel of the speed and flow of the game.

Right, he never was allowed to get into a rhythm. That has got to be one of the hardest things in football to just come in a play and lead the Offense after sitting on the bench for 30 min + at a time.

Well, in his defense, you can't play one play per quarter and look like a seasoned veteran. He needs to play at least a complete series to get the feel of the speed and flow of the game.

Unfortunately that was the same plan they had for KF. It didn't work well then and it didn't work well yesterday.

The point, as Gus knows, is to Get JJ ready. Gus is starting that by minimal big game experience, and more time in the easier games. I bet FAU will see Nick only enough to keep him from getting rusty.

i am not sure we could afford to keep jj in the game if he did not produce.and it was a close game. shrugs. i understand why gus pulled him twice. that being said i think gus will more than have jj ready down the road.........

Hopefully, Auburn will get a big lead against Florida Atlantic in the first half, and JJ can come in to play the 2nd half. Also hopefully, Auburn will be doing well enough against Arkansas to let JJ come in for some entire series. But GM made it very clear, right after the Western Carolina game, in which JJ did very well, that there is no QB controversy. NM is our starting QB. Unless he is hurt, JJ will see limited action.

JJ will get 2 quarters next week to try and improve as a backup should. I am so thankful Gus got NM to the plains. JJ MIGHT start in 2015 and MIGHT be good but all we can say right now is that NM is good and heading towards great and leading Auburn to an amazing season!

JJ will get 2 quarters next week to try and improve as a backup should. I am so thankful Gus got NM to the plains. JJ MIGHT start in 2015 and MIGHT be good but all we can say right now is that NM is good and heading towards great and leading Auburn to an amazing season!

Agreed, Bout time a lot of guys realized this^^, I've said all along nick was the guy, JJ will be good when his time come, but right now and NEXT yr its nicks job to lose

Ditto.

His abilities already seen this year mean one thing for Auburn going down this road. We have a GT40 being tuned up when we retire the Cobra. How rare is this situation is for Auburn?

I agree that Nick is and should be the starter, but it is ridiculous to say anything bad about JJ. He played 4 plays? and handed it off twice. What did he do that was so bad? It appeared that he threw back shoulder to Melvin and had an incomplete long throw. How anyone can get anything from his play is crazy to me. I guess some people want to find something to complain about after a huge victory.

shrugs..not complaining if that is aimed at me. all i said was jj was not ready.this is nothing but an observation and not a criticism. IF jj was ready i believe you could be sure gus would play him a lot more to confuse defenses with a change of pace.

I agree that Nick is and should be the starter, but it is ridiculous to say anything bad about JJ. He played 4 plays? and handed it off twice. What did he do that was so bad? It appeared that he threw back shoulder to Melvin and had an incomplete long throw. How anyone can get anything from his play is crazy to me. I guess some people want to find something to complain about after a huge victory.

Not complaining, I'm just glad all the JJ is better than nick fans finally saw why Gus has nick starting as his qb!

Right, he never was allowed to get into a rhythm. That has got to be one of the hardest things in football to just come in a play and lead the Offense after sitting on the bench for 30 min + at a time.

I agree, but he needs more time to grow.. He is going to be very good before he leaves AU, but this kind of game is not where JJ needs to start.

Look for him to get plenty of touches this weekend. These are the kinds of games he needs to get comfortable in. Once he gets comfortable and relaxed, he will be fine. Look for him to get some time in the Arkansas road game as well.

Yeah, we were openly questioning in the stands what Gus was thinking putting JJ in the game yesterday at all. I vividly remember us going about 50 yards to start a drive, then bringing in JJ on first down. We basically wasted a down and eventually punted. That is terrible game management and we were fortunate that it didn't cost us. Big games on the road are not the place to get your freshman game experience unless it's a dire situation.

Gus put Johson for one reason and one reason only, so he could get a feel for the speed of an SEC defense. I like that he had enough confidence in our O to throw away a few plays to do that. I expect to see him more against Arky and UT.

The OP already knows this but, of course JJ isn't ready, he is a true Freshman. I have said this before and it still holds true, Nick Marshall is the best thing that could have happened for JJ's long term future, Auburn's too. All the pressure to win games is on NM's shoulders where it belongs. JJ can get some playing time against all the teams on the rest of the schedule and get ready for next year. He will get plenty of playing time against minor teams but if we can get a decent lead on some SEC teams, JJ can get more and more SEC playing time. The games will dictate his SEC snaps.

I am going to correct myself here as I have stated I thought JJ could be our starter in 2014. I now 100% believe it will be #14. Kid has earned every bit of this as well. Give Gus and Rhett a full cycle with him and IMO he could be VERY special for us. We really need at least two more sure handed WR's to catch the 50/50 type throws. I was proud of Sammie for redeeming himself like he did after the drop. Kid has heart!

I am going to correct myself here as I have stated I thought JJ could be our starter in 2014. I now 100% believe it will be #14. Kid has earned every bit of this as well. Give Gus and Rhett a full cycle with him and IMO he could be VERY special for us. We really need at least two more sure handed WR's to catch the 50/50 type throws. I was proud of Sammie for redeeming himself like he did after the drop. Kid has heart!

Great post Dixie!! Seems like me, u, 83' and a handful of others were all on the same page when it comes to nick Marshall. All others ever see is the missed open receivers or over thrown passes , I've seen pro's miss open receivers everyday. That last drive was special because those were precision like throws and we needed them to complete the drive. This guy is special and a lot of these negative nancies need to give him his due!!

Great post Dixie!! Seems like me, u, 83' and a handful of others were all on the same page when it comes to nick Marshall. All others ever see is the missed open receivers or over thrown passes , I've seen pro's miss open receivers everyday. That last drive was special because those were precision like throws and we needed them to complete the drive. This guy is special and a lot of these negative nancies need to give him his due!!

^^^

JJ played three snaps about like a Freshman. Remember when bama's 2nd string was sent in against AU in the final minutes of the IB bowl in 2010. He said it took 6-8 games before things slowed down for him. We must have a competent 2nd QB. Remember UTx in the 2009 BCS NC game. We have a 2nd QB with loads of talent, a full game under his belt, a trial on the road in a hostile stadium. Like to see him with a special scheme for a full series the first time the hogs put 9 in the box.

Little doc

Ive believed Nick Marshall was going to be a special player at Auburn from the time he signed and I saw how happy having him made Gus. I'll have to say he's playing QB pretty well for a D-back.

Ive believed Nick Marshall was going to be a special player at Auburn from the time he signed and I saw how happy having him made Gus. I'll have to say he's playing QB pretty well for a D-back.

Yes,you most certainly did blue. And yep not bad for a former DB

Some of you need to learn that people can compliment another qb and it doesn't mean it's a slight to another guy. Earthbound has different strength and weaknesses. Just because people like Johnson or want to see Johnson shouldn't hurt your feelings

Archived