who would yall consider the greatest assistant coach in

aubiefifty

It would be somebody on the D side of the ball, unless maybe Eddie Gran. IMO Tommy Bowden had a productive offense because of Pat Dyes players, his brothers game day genius and DESPITE Tommy's coaching.

I'll go with either Wayne Hall or whomever our defensive coordinator was in 1957 and 1958.

Eddie Gran would be near the top. He does not get the credit he deserves with his coaching and recruiting ability. Guy was great.

I would have to second this.

Third!

Non-coordinator - Eddie Gran. That man produced some serious running backs.

Coordinator - Gus Malzahn. He was just as integral to that 2010 BCS National Championship as Cam Newton was, if not more so.

Man, that's a great question.

In recent history (Tuberville and Chizik), the best non-coordinators I've seen are Rocker, Whitt, and Gran. In the same time, the best coordinators I've seen are Malzahn, Borges, Petrino (even though I can't stand him), and Muschamp (Chizik had great defenses because of his attention to detail... he was never on the level of Tuberville or Muschamp as far as defensive Xs and Os).

Historically, it's tough to get past Hall and Oliver (snake).

Pat Sullivan....When Pat Dye brought Sully on board, our offense improved considerably in a short time. As far as DCs and their staff, I would pick Wayne Hall, Ellis Johnson, and Rodney Garner. Another deserving credit is Tracy Rocker.

I don't know how rational this pick is, but Petrino was the first name to cross my mind. He had the same effect Malzahn did, even more dramatic in its context.

Wayne Hall is an impressive pick, and probably the best.

I say Coach Hal Herring who was DC at Auburn for 13 seasons. Also an outstanding player at Auburn and later for the Cleveland Browns. His Auburn players lead the nation in defense 6 times. They were in top 10 in all his 13 years at Auburn. Herring was the major reason for the 1957 NC team and another unbeaten 1958 Auburn team. And I keep reminding folks in this era the players played both ways and that's the reason you see no 300 pounders on the line with big guts at belt line. All fans nationwide may never see this level of football again.

Eddie Gran would be near the top. He does not get the credit he deserves with his coaching and recruiting ability. Guy was great.

Right the with you WDE. This was the first name that popped into my head.

This must be the 'Second Best Assistant Coach of All-Time' thread, because any other name mentioned could only do as well as fitting that bill.

Hal Herring, hands down. From 1953-66 his defenses finished in the top 10 in the nation every single year. They finished first six times. 1957 National Championship. Nearly took the 1958 title.

Great read: http://www.tampabay....rs-1957/1143967

Famous quotes:

If you want to stop a team like Oregon, "you have to hurt somebody."

You only substituted if "someone got killed."

300 pound players of today's game.. Coach Herring isn't impressed.

Touchdown celebrations... Coach Herring's men don't dance.

Hard Core and Old-School.

This must be the 'Second Best Assistant Coach of All-Time' thread, because any other name mentioned could only do as well as fitting that bill.

Hal Herring, hands down. From 1953-66 his defenses finished in the top 10 in the nation every single year. They finished first six times. 1957 National Championship. Nearly took the 1958 title.

Famous quotes:

Hey AUp, sorry for taking the thread on another direction, but I was wondering what your picture is with the Red color and the 15 with what looks like a cow. Thanks

Famous quotes:

Hey AUp, sorry for taking the thread on another direction, but I was wondering what your picture is with the Red color and the 15 with what looks like a cow. Thanks

A friend of mine (turd) sent out a photo of a red circle/white background and inside was a "13>1.5". This was the night AU won the Nat'l Championship, he and the rest of my 'friends' were trying to rain on my parade. "13=BS" is my response to that, and unfortunately I have had to add to the left side the last two years. I also have one with a tinkerbell silhouette, Grimm's fairytales book, and one of my ex-gf telling the truth. #bama'sMythicalTitles

Wayne Hall

First name that came to my mind.

Tommy Bowden, while only there two years, is another that came to mind. We were 20-1-1, with 20 consecutive wins, with him as our O.C..

I will 2nd that.

I think it is a toss up between Hall,Oliver and Gus.

Under Hall we had major success and championships. Oliver extended Bowden's career and if Bowden had done a better job on his side of the ball Auburn would have been in the NC hunt. Gus was not around as long, but given his contribution to our 2010 NC he belongs here. Throw in the fact that he could have gone to Vandy as HC for 3MIL per year and stayed with us is huge. As tight as that NC game was I don't know for sure that we win that one without him. That 2010 NC is huge in my book.

War Eagle !

Archived