does anyone agree with me that ole miss is a must win?

aubiefifty

if we beat ole miss i think we have a chance to be a lot better. if not i wonder what it might do to the team? used to ole iss and msu were considered gimme's except for an odd year or two. and i am not saying we do not continue to get better but that it might take longer.thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With A&M, UGA, and the turds remaining on our schedule, it just may be a must win. Ole Miss is improving fast, but Gus has two weeks to work with Nick and the O. We all expect the turds to give Ole Miss a rough, banged-up time. Mean-while back at the ranch, Auburn gets healthy, learns more, gets the pace-up, and hopefully grows more confident for two weeks!

sorry for ther typos....a virus wiped out my spellcheck............true story.

I feel good about the Ole Miss game. But we're just now getting into the part of the season where everyone begins to figure out exactly how teams match up to pre-season expectations. We've seen them beat a bad Texas team but that's about it. For all we know, Ole Miss could finish better than Alabama and aTm. While I think we should win, I wouldn't call it a MUST win.

To me it is. At this point, I feel confident in taking down Arky and Tenn (even though both are on the road). That makes Ole Mrs the game to win to get to 8. That would make the season a resounding success that exceeded most expecations and get us to a nicer bowl than is being projected right now. It'll be at home and we'll be rested and healthy, and our boys now know where they stand and what to improve on after the battle in the rain in BR. I feel good about it right now. WDE!

I agree to a point. Depends on what you mean by "must win"? If you mean its a must win to get to 7 or 8 wins then yes I agree. I don't think losing it will psychologically kill this team as they are mentally tougher than last year's squad. Fact is though its gonna be tough to win the A&M, UGA, and bammer games and no guarantee we can go to UT and Arky and win both of those so the Ole Miss game is huge if we want more than 6-6. Week off, time to fix some inconsitencies and have a good plan for Ole Missy.

I think the Ole Miss game is pivotal for AU's season. So yeah, it's a must win, and I think our Tigers will need to scratch and claw for all they are worth to win it.

I dont know. If you're speaking strictly in a short term context then YES, it is, but all games are must wins in the short term. I hear the term must win thrown around a lot but never any context. I'd love to get that win. It would certainly be uplifting for the team but if they won that one but then lose to say Ark and/or UT I dont see it making any difference.

must win is many things to me. the most important is bowling so we can get those extra practices in. we need those pretty bad since we got new schemes on d etc.....it also helps jeremy get more reps to get ready for spring.

After watching Ole Miss dismantle Texas and watching our D struggle against spread offenses thus far- beating Ole Miss will be a very difficult task.

What spread offense did Auburn struggle with this year?

I hate to say a “must win”, but it’s would be a big one!

My thoughts are these:

1. The first goal is to make it to a Bowl game. Yes, we all are aiming for 7 to 9 wins but at a minimum we must win 6.

2. To get to 6 wins, at least one more conference win is needed.

3. Auburn is a better team than either Arky or Tenn, but both of those games are on the road, thus there is more uncertainty.

A win over Ole Miss plus hold serve against the two non-conference opponents gets the Tigers back to a Bowl. Then wins at Arky and/or Tenn just improves our Bowl position.

Not a must win looking at it from 30,000 feet. OM has the national perception as an up and coming program. Auburn is still judged by last year's record. An OM win will merely confirm that view.

But for more immediate goals it is a very important game. Such as getting to a bowl. Auburn has a very good chance at beating A&M. The leghumpers and bamr not so much. So a win over OM will go a long way towards securing that goal.

Auburn will field the more talented personnel against OM but will they play like it is the question.

We will know how legitimate OM is after Saturday's game against bamr.

After watching Ole Miss dismantle Texas and watching our D struggle against spread offenses thus far- beating Ole Miss will be a very difficult task.

What spread offense did Auburn struggle with this year?

Wouldn't say struggled but failing to consistently stop wsu and msu on 3rd down may be what he's referring to

I agree that it is a short-term must win, primarily for recruiting, and I think we will win.

BTW, I've only seen one Texas game (not Ole Miss) and they looked like a very bad football team, especially on defense, so I'm not too impressed with that OM win.

1. beating missy state was a must win.

2. beating ole miss is important and will show the conference we are closer to the top than they want us to be, but not a MUST win.

3. beating ole miss will help the bowl seeding. (as already mentioned)

I'm sure Ole Miss considers it (or will consider it) a must win as well. Assuming of course they lose this week as everyone except hard-core Rebel fans are expecting.

Ole Piss has a tough game this week against the turds, perhaps that game exposes them a little and can provide so info to our coaches on how to handle them. This off week will be good for us to regroup, recoup and start planning our attack.

Agreed, Being the rational fan assuming losses to Thuga, Manziel U, and UAT, ole miss is currently the 4th hardest team and a must win if we want that 8-4 and possibly 9-4 season, besides I'm tired of 7-5, 8-4 sounds better

Ole Miss has played Vandy, some scrub, and Texas who essentially did not have a DC. If Jordan Matthews does not puke his spleen out I think he would have made that catch and maybe Vandy scores again. Texas amid all their dysfunction had the lead in 1st half before the wheels fell off in the 2nd half - I have not picked up my Ole Miss bandwagon ticket yet. This weekend should tell the nation more about them. As for the OP - it's a must win but IMO for different reasons. AU should be well prepared for them with two weeks off, and look at this as a springboard for the middle of the season - momentum that is why it's a must win imo

Ole Miss is definitely a must win. In order for us to close the gap in the west and continue with our momentum, we must win these type games. Especially after coming off a bye week! I think we come out swinging and Marshall has a big comeback game after a rough first half in Baton Rouge.

We NEED to win every game and in that sense/context it is big. But other than maybe a slightly better bowl a win pays the most dividends in recruiting for 2014.

Archived