Wow, talk about improvement out of QB Jonathan Wallace

aubiefifty

Sometimes a qb will see what is called zone coverage and to be successful throwing certain passes against zone it will be necessary to throw over a lb or corners head. If the qb can lob it over that defenders head he could drop the ball in a window between two defenders and make a completion. If you throw a line drive everytime, the ball will get knocked down or intercepted. These things we call windows or soft spots in the zone get smaller and tighter against fast SEC defenses

Therefore NM must learn to put touch on passes and lob the ball over a defenders head to be successful.

Im sure.... almost positive NM has never heard of any of that. maybe you should call Gus and set up a meeting with you CGM and NM so you can explain this very insightful observation to them.

I will when I see him at the Awful Waffle

Gotta love it when dumbazzes try to prove how smart they are

I agree

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say the verdict is still out. Say what you want SEC defenses are typically stronger and faster then the ones we have played. Hes not bashing NM, just making the point "if Qb play doesn't improve we won't win many SEC games".

I say the verdict is still out. Say what you want SEC defenses are typically stronger and faster then the ones we have played. Hes not bashing NM, just making the point "if Qb play doesn't improve we won't win many SEC games".

LOL...you too, huh? A'ight den!

Apparently Gus needs a few posters as his new Qb coach. If JW could run the offense better he would be starting. Plain and simple. Gus has always had Special package for the backup - He did while Todd was here as well as Cam. For a QB who has been on campus for less than two months I say he has done a great job...

Apparently Gus needs a few posters as his new Qb coach. If JW could run the offense better he would be starting. Plain and simple. Gus has always had Special package for the backup - He did while Todd was here as well as Cam. For a QB who has been on campus for less than two months I say he has done a great job...

And that's an easy call for anybody that has a clue. i agree

The more competent Wallace becomes, the better JJ will be able to develop and the better QB he is going to be in his last 3 years. With respect to Nick so far, he has demonstrated a lot of ability and he is getting better every week.

1. not throwing INTs: A (0 INTs)

2. protecting the ball in the pocket: B+ (he had 1 ball slip out of his hand)

3. ball handling, fakes and handoffs to RBs: A (no fumbled handoffs, his fakes are so good that sometimes you can't tell who has the ball)

4. pocket presence: A (stays calm and cool)

5. option decisions: A- (makes the correct decision on the option play almost every time)

6. scrambling ability: A (he has that 6th sense in the pocket the good QBs have)

7. running speed: A (he isn't just a QB running the ball, he is a threat. This is a real weapon.)

8. arm strength to throw the long pass: A ++

9. making good decisions on WRs to keep the ball out of danger on passes: A- (only 1 ball that I can count)

10. accuracy and timing with WRs: B- (but improving)

11. accuracy on short passes and screens: A (nice touch on the bubble screens and the flat pass to Prosch)

12. touch on the ball when required on the long to intermediate passes: C

13. looking off safeties to set up passes to his primary WR: A- (doing a very nice job here)

The touch will come and it was better this week over last week. There is a fine line here though. Too "much" touch and you will put the ball in jeopardy, not enough touch and you overthrow but he has kept the ball out of danger. His WR selection has been such that if he does overthrow, there is no defender over the top to intercept, so the worse case becomes an incompletion. They probably have him throwing passes at 40 yards into a large trash can to develop more touch.

I didn't say he needed to switch QBs. Just pulled a line from TBV about improved QB play. No NM didn't have an INT but he did have a ball hit a defender in the hands, as well as a fumble (idc if he hit his thigh or not, its still a fumble) so say what you want he has improved since arriving in Auburn but he's no aaron murray or even johnny football. Let me all caps my next statement so its clear IM NOT CALLIN FOR A CHANGE just want to see him improve that's all, which I think he will with more reps he gets with the 1s

I didn't say he needed to switch QBs. Just pulled a line from TBV about improved QB play. No NM didn't have an INT but he did have a ball hit a defender in the hands, as well as a fumble (idc if he hit his thigh or not, its still a fumble) so say what you want he has improved since arriving in Auburn but he's no aaron murray or even johnny football. Let me all caps my next statement so its clear IM NOT CALLIN FOR A CHANGE just want to see him improve that's all, which I think he will with more reps he gets with the 1s

Question...has anybody put forth the idea that they thought he was Aaron Murray or Johnny Manziel? If not what is your point? The guy has been on the team for roughly 6 weeks. Reckon you can back up a minute and let him get fully into the program.

Not completely true. NM has what you call raw talent and upside (Frazier also had this). If this talent plays out the way the coaches would like then he will be great but I don't think that talent has been realized on the field the way the coaches hope...Yet. But it may... but it may not (think Frazier). Time will tell especially after LSU.

Not completely true. NM has what you call raw talent and upside (Frazier also had this). If this talent plays out the way the coaches would like then he will be great but I don't think that talent has been realized on the field the way the coaches hope...Yet. But it may... but it may not (think Frazier). Time will tell especially after LSU.

So let me get this straight..the way you see things you think KF showed as much promise at the QB position as NM has shown?

There will be mistakes it's part of the game. But for a qb with only two months on campus he has has exceeded my expectations. No one stated he was the second coming of those guys you mentioned. And he has improved from game 1 to game 2, his numbers prove that. And I anticipate he will get better as the season progresses.

So let me get this straight..the way you see things you think KF showed as much promise at the QB position as NM has shown?

No I never said that. Although both very hyped coming in, by fans.

Question...has anybody put forth the idea that they thought he was Aaron Murray or Johnny Manziel? If not what is your point? The guy has been on the team for roughly 6 weeks. Reckon you can back up a minute and let him get fully into the program.

Why don't you just let people have their own opinions? NM has a LOT of room for improvement. If that offends you, that is a "you problem".

No I never said that but most Auburn fans probably did.

I never did. So, if you're not saying that...exactly what are you saying when you post "Frazier also had talent and upside" ? I never saw either!

Why don't you just let people have their own opinions? NM has a LOT of room for improvement. If that offends you, that is a "you problem".

Actually it seems you're the one with the problem. See, Im pretty happy with his progress TO DATE because frankly, that ALL THAT MATTERS. We can revisit your opinion as the season progresses but IMO you just unwilling to give the guy even an ounce of credit. Thats not my problem ole buddy thats yours

Do you guys not read an entire post? Please try not to ignore the last two lines of my post that are partially in all caps. Whats wrong with saying he needs to improve like he did the last two weeks to prove he's on a level with the top QBs in this league? What's wrong with saying his dead duck flat passes arent gonna fly in SEC play? Do I think he will improve? Yes. Do I think he's where we need him to be? No but I'm quite sure if Gus can do wonders with Chris Todd and Barret Trotter, he can work magic with a polished Marshall

Actually it seems you're the one with the problem. See, Im pretty happy with his progress TO DATE because frankly, that ALL THAT MATTERS. We can revisit your opinion as the season progresses but IMO you just unwilling to give the guy even an ounce of credit. Thats not my problem ole buddy thats yours

You are delusional. People are giving him plenty of credit. It's just obvious to any logical thinking person, that a QB MUST hit more than half of the wide open receivers he gets, not less than half.

Do you guys not read an entire post? Please try not to ignore the last two lines of my post that are partially in all caps. Whats wrong with saying he needs to improve like he did the last two weeks to prove he's on a level with the top QBs in this league? What's wrong with saying his dead duck flat passes arent gonna fly in SEC play? Do I think he will improve? Yes. Do I think he's where we need him to be? No but I'm quite sure if Gus can do wonders with Chris Todd and Barret Trotter, he can work magic with a polished Marshall

Nothing wrong with it I suppose but pointing out the obvious is not really necessary. I think everyone knows he has work to do.

You are delusional. People are giving him plenty of credit. It's just obvious to any logical thinking person, that a QB MUST hit more than half of the wide open receivers he gets, not less than half.

Your prescience is overwhelming me

Nick has hit over 50% of his receivers but after adding in the 4 drops, 1 slip, 1 route let up, Nick is well over.

Nothing wrong with it I suppose but pointing out the obvious is not really necessary. I think everyone knows he has work to do.

This is football message board, what else am I suppose to talk about? During the spring and summer you were pretty obvious about needing improved QB play from last season, when that was obvious. I actually feel like Marshall had a better 2nd half against WSU then he did period against ASU. The only difference being the receivers stepped up more this game.

Nick has hit over 50% of his receivers but after adding in the 4 drops, 1 slip, 1 route let up, Nick is well over.

He is less than 50%, on passes of 15 yards or more, to wide open receivers. My eyeballs tell me that. I don't need to look at the stats.

This is football message board, what else am I suppose to talk about? During the spring and summer you were pretty obvious about needing improved QB play from last season, when that was obvious. I actually feel like Marshall had a better 2nd half against WSU then he did period against ASU. The only difference being the receivers stepped up more this game.

Actually it wasn't obvious to many who were hellbent on sticking with KF. As far as what else are you supposed to post about? That's your call friend but when you get a little blow back for pointing out things that are blatantly obvious dont get too emotional over it.Like you said..this is a football message board...no crying in football. A'ight?

Who's crying? We beat an ASU team who's fan base thought would cream us. Yesterday was the first time I've gotten to watch a full game since the LSU game last year. I'm far from crying pal. Just a little tired of certain people being able to voice their opinions while others that have legit points get blasted because their opinion differs or is so called obvious.

Archived