The preseason expectations thread

Dual-Threat Rigby

I think the sky is the limit as far as predictions go. I can see this team going 14-0, if all things fall in place like 2010. I know this is a stretch, but it could very well happen. From a logical point of view, a season of 8-4 or 7-5 seems to be the choice of many in the know. My logical prediction is 9-3. As far as Vandy goes, a 6-6, or a 7-5 season, or even an 8-4 season is probably in store for dandy Vandy.

12-2!!! An early loss to LSU, a very close loss to South Carlina in the dome and a nice bowl win. WAR EAGLE!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they can get out of the gate fast and gain some confidence then I would say an 8, maybe a nine win season. But like some many other posters here, I want to see them be competitive every game. But I do like the way Gus and staff have handled themselves and the team.

I'll just be glad when we actually start getting some players that are better than the division 3 level talent that we have now. I mean, we can't expect these guys to win more than 6 games with how bad the talent is now. We might beat Wash. St., and might win homecoming, but even the Mississippi schools have tons more SEC talent than we have. Since we went 3-9 last year, and since we had no off the field distractions, and since we had such unity last season, and since the OC and the DC were such awesome hires, and since our head coach had total control of the program and honestly let his coaches coach and didn't meddle in how the offense and defense were run, and since Chizik didn't decide to fundamentally change the entire offensive and defensive gameplans, and since, according to current defensive players, Van Gorder's scheme was such a simple scheme compared to the insanely complex scheme that Johnson runs, and since we had no disciplinary issues last year, heck, we couldn't possibly even fathom more than 6 wins, and since the recruiting has been so horrendous for the last few years, we would be fools to think that the players that were recruited to run an offense by the very genius of an offensive mind that is now totally free to unleash the full fury of what his offense is capable of, would even be able to hold the jocks of the obviously superior talent that the rest of the SEC has recruited. Yep, makes total sense to me that we couldn't possibly win more than 6. Foolishness I tell you, just foolishness. Temper those expectations Auburn fans, because, it's what we do right? War 3-9 Eagle!

I Don't know. I really think we have the potential to shock a lot of people. The injury/ attrician bug has gotten ahold of our defense in a big way, I think if we are gonna pull off that 8 + win season it's possible but it's gonna mean that some older guys who haven't been difference makers will have to step up. I feeling confident about the O but less so about the D which is odd cause a month ago it was the total opposite.

The offense is going to have a lot of energy and compared to last year its going to be a huge positive.

The defense am still on the fence, they could feed off the energy from the offense (thats a possibility), also Justin Garrett seems to taking on a leadership role on the field. We need difference makers on defense so a lot of room for improvement. The first game is going to be a great test for the defense.

Still thinking 7-5 with a lot of upside potential as we build confidence..

All the hard work for the last 9 months is in place so that part is in the bank, one way or the other. No additional physical training will make a difference now. The only thing that will make a difference this last week will be how good of a game plan the coaches' developed, installing that game plan and the players grasping it. I don't know about y'all but I'm past ready for the talking to end and see what we have out there after all this hard work.

I think the sky is the limit as far as predictions go. I can see this team going 14-0, if all things fall in place like 2010. I know this is a stretch, but it could very well happen. From a logical point of view, a season of 8-4 or 7-5 seems to be the choice of many in the know. My logical prediction is 9-3. As far as Vandy goes, a 6-6, or a 7-5 season, or even an 8-4 season is probably in store for dandy Vandy.

12-2!!! An early loss to LSU, a very close loss to South Carlina in the dome and a nice bowl win. WAR EAGLE!!!

I'd never call a SEC CG loss... Never

Heart pick: 14-0, Head pick 7-5 with a Tuberville-esque loss to someone we shouldn't (if our defense doesn't recover from the injury bug, the Moo State Mullens...almost throwing up just thinking of that outcome, but it's possible) and a win against someone we're pretty big dogs against (that 38-31 win against UGA in November will be quite satisfying)

That being said, I always go with my heart over my head :D

i expect to be compeitive in all games i think we can win 10 games. and we'll beat the f*** out of bama!!

Thank u!! We were competitive against both miss.schools with an incompetent team with NO identity and now that we FINALLY have competent coach's we will lose? I don't see it!!

I have absolutely no idea what to expect, except that they'll be faster and stronger. If they've learned all that Gus has thrown at them and if they play with heart and don't give up, I think we can have 8+ wins. I think we will all be happy, even with a loss, because we will see great effort and better technique. I am so excited! I CANNOT WAIT FOR KICKOFF!!!!! :nanner:

I'll just be glad when we actually start getting some players that are better than the division 3 level talent that we have now. I mean, we can't expect these guys to win more than 6 games with how bad the talent is now. We might beat Wash. St., and might win homecoming, but even the Mississippi schools have tons more SEC talent than we have. Since we went 3-9 last year, and since we had no off the field distractions, and since we had such unity last season, and since the OC and the DC were such awesome hires, and since our head coach had total control of the program and honestly let his coaches coach and didn't meddle in how the offense and defense were run, and since Chizik didn't decide to fundamentally change the entire offensive and defensive gameplans, and since, according to current defensive players, Van Gorder's scheme was such a simple scheme compared to the insanely complex scheme that Johnson runs, and since we had no disciplinary issues last year, heck, we couldn't possibly even fathom more than 6 wins, and since the recruiting has been so horrendous for the last few years, we would be fools to think that the players that were recruited to run an offense by the very genius of an offensive mind that is now totally free to unleash the full fury of what his offense is capable of, would even be able to hold the jocks of the obviously superior talent that the rest of the SEC has recruited. Yep, makes total sense to me that we couldn't possibly win more than 6. Foolishness I tell you, just foolishness. Temper those expectations Auburn fans, because, it's what we do right? War 3-9 Eagle!

This made me chuckle

This seems like the best place to post this.

I got bored yesterday (Beginning of the semester, professors can't be behind yet) and ran a simulation of the 2013 season on NCAA '14. I know it had been done before, but I wanted to see for myself where they had us.

CHANGES TO THE ROSTER:

I made NM the starting QB and upped his stats a little- Throw Power to 88 and Throw Accuracy to 82 (I felt that was pretty accurate).

I made all players no longer with the team (eg. Ricky Parks) the last on the depth chart at their position.

I changed Earnest Robinson's number from 2 to 85, because, well, comeon.

I made a formation substitution so that whenever playing in the Dime or Quarter formations, Carl Lawson will play WDE, with Ladarius Owens starting at SDE.

Game Outcomes:

vs WSU- W (In other news, Alabama loses to Virginia Tech)

vs Arky State - W

vs Miss State- L

at #21 LSU - W

BYE

vs Ole Miss - W

vs WCU - W

at #3 TAMU - W

vs FAU - W

at Arky - W

at UT - W

vs UGA - L

BYE

vs Bama - L

SEC Championship Game -

Bama vs UF - Bama wins the SEC

Bowl Game:

vs VT (Chick-fil-a Bowl) - W

National Championship (just for kicks)

Oklahoma vs San Diego State - Oklahoma wins the BCS National Championship

FINAL RECORD: 10-3 (5-3 SEC)

If we can it to Saturday without anyone getting suspended or arrested (at this point of the season a good indicator of how seriously the players are taking the season) then 8-4. If someone pulls a Dismukes (gets arrested game week) then I am going 6-6.

We will not lose to Moo. State!!!! Bank it!!

I agree but I probably would have only used one exclamation mark, maybe even just a period. They will play well against us IMO, they usually do.

We will not lose to Moo. State!!!! Bank it!!

I agree but I probably would have only used one exclamation mark, maybe even just a period. They will play well against us IMO, they usually do.

War Eagle

I got bored yesterday (Beginning of the semester, professors can't be behind yet) and ran a simulation of the 2013 season on NCAA '14. I know it had been done before, but I wanted to see for myself where they had us.

CHANGES TO THE ROSTER:

I made NM the starting QB and upped his stats a little- Throw Power to 88 and Throw Accuracy to 82 (I felt that was pretty accurate).

I made all players no longer with the team (eg. Ricky Parks) the last on the depth chart at their position.

I made a formation substitution so that whenever playing in the Dime or Quarter formations, Carl Lawson will play WDE, with Ladarius Owens starting at SDE.

Game Outcomes:

vs Arky State - W

vs Miss State- L

at #21 LSU - W

BYE

vs Ole Miss - W

vs WCU - W

at #3 TAMU - W

vs FAU - W

at Arky - W

at UT - W

vs UGA - L

BYE

vs Bama - L

SEC Championship Game -

Bowl Game:

Gimme your roster

CHANGES TO THE ROSTER:

Game Outcomes:

vs Arky State - W

vs Miss State- L

at #21 LSU - W

BYE

vs Ole Miss - W

vs WCU - W

at #3 TAMU - W

vs FAU - W

at Arky - W

at UT - W

vs UGA - L

BYE

vs Bama - L

SEC Championship Game -

Bowl Game:

Gimme your roster

I downloaded pastapadre's on XBL and made those changes. Took maybe 5 minutes, and that's only because I changed their equipment as well.

CHANGES TO THE ROSTER:

Game Outcomes:

vs Arky State - W

vs Miss State- L

at #21 LSU - W

BYE

vs Ole Miss - W

vs WCU - W

at #3 TAMU - W

vs FAU - W

at Arky - W

at UT - W

vs UGA - L

BYE

vs Bama - L

SEC Championship Game -

Bowl Game:

Gimme your roster

I downloaded pastapadre's on XBL and made those changes. Took maybe 5 minutes, and that's only because I changed their equipment as well.

Geez

• 2 months later...

BUMP! I thought I would bring this back at this point to see what everybody had predicted preseason. Some of you guys are pretty smart or just lucky.

BUMP! I thought I would bring this back at this point to see what everybody had predicted preseason. Some of you guys are pretty smart or just lucky.

no. some guys predict a great season EVERY year no matter how incredibly unreasonable it is. we are playing unreasonably well and exceeding my expectations. I make no apologies, im just enjoying it more than those who expected this.

Archived