The preseason expectations thread

Dual-Threat Rigby

After getting a co-sign from ellitor (so this thread doesn't get closed), there aren't any of these yet. So here you can post your record, stats rankings, in depth game expectations, so forth and so forth.

I'll start off

11-2 (or higher)

I say Marshall is third in passing, and 1st in rushing in the SEC for QBs

I'll say Tre Mason has 1473 yards and CAP has 800+ with Marshall having 1000+

Gus is head coach of the year

Warning this is not bold predictions this is regular predictions

lol. I thought you were talking about a recruiting predictions thread when you PMed me. I have no say on what happens in the football forum. I am a recruiting mod only. I will say this though. There is at least 1 if not multiple prediction threads for this season. Whether an all site mod merges these threads I do not know but since the thread has gotten to page 9 it does not look like it.

It's the Rigby charm

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but I really don't think an SEC and possibly a national title is out of the picture. Let's really analyze this. NM is going to be the most athletic QB probably in all of college football, fits perfect into Gus's system. I expect him to be the best QB in the league stats-wise by end of the season. Oline is littered with veterans. Our WRs are possibly best in the SEC. We have 3 guys at RB who could start at 3/4 of SEC schools, D-line doesn't have one superstar but is deeper than it's been in my lifetime, Jake Holland is a superstar in the making at LB, and CBs are strength of our defense.

All in all, everything is lined up for us to have a 2010-esque year:

Wash St. 45-17 W (this one will be over by halftime)

Ark. St. 42-17 W (No one knows that team like Gus does)

Miss. St. 38-14 W (This is when the nation starts paying attention to us)

LSU 30-23 W (We enter the AP Top 10)

OM 38-24 W (Freeze is a poor man's Gus)

West Carolina 52-0 W (First shutout in longer than I can remember)

A&M 42-31 W (If Johnny doesn't play, it'll be 42-10)

FAU 55-13 W (NM accounts for 7 TDs)

Arky 42-17 W (Bielema's system won't work in the SEC)

UT 45-24 W (Butch Jones...lol)

UGA 37-27 W (they lost too much on defense)

Bammer 29-27 (that's right. 1 point better than 2010)

USCe (SEC Championship) 35-24 W

Ohio St. (BCS Championship) 38-21 W

I can't help but to be amused at the split in what people think we'll finish at. The overwhelming sentiment amongst those who predict 6-6 is the whole improving more than 3 games in a year thing, but we did it in 2010, did it in 2004, did it in 2000, did it in 1993...just off the top of my head. I tend to believe last year was the exception, not the rule, and if we finish at .500 this regular season then something went horribly wrong (although I wouldn't say it's out of the scope of possibilities). I mean, come on, Malzahn took Chris Todd and turned him into a record breaker. He has been successful everywhere he's been. If the defense is even marginally improved, AU wins 7-8 before the bowl game, minimum. If we leave Baton Rouge without a loss, then all bets are off and this season might be one for the ages.

You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but I really don't think an SEC and possibly a national title is out of the picture. Let's really analyze this. NM is going to be the most athletic QB probably in all of college football, fits perfect into Gus's system. I expect him to be the best QB in the league stats-wise by end of the season. Oline is littered with veterans. Our WRs are possibly best in the SEC. We have 3 guys at RB who could start at 3/4 of SEC schools, D-line doesn't have one superstar but is deeper than it's been in my lifetime, Jake Holland is a superstar in the making at LB, and CBs are strength of our defense.

I like the optimism but you sir, are nuts.

Best WRs?

Superstar JH?

Top 10 for beating LSU?

NM 7tds (if its a shutout, he won't be in that long)?

38 points averaged against SEC opponents?

We will go 6-6. Offense will be much improved. Marshall will be well above average and the O Line will be the strength of the team. The defensive line will not lay a finger on the opposing QBs. I thought this BEFORE the Dee Ford injury. We will give up a ton of points and will have to outscore teams for the win. This will work vs teams with inferior talent but no one better than us. I was going to predict a 7-5 season but the injuries have screwed us.

Talented teams with veteran QB's & stud RB's will have their way with this defense, IMO. The good thing is we will score a lot of points as well, which will be a pleasant departure from last season. If this dline can't find a way to touch the QB, then teams like a&m/lsu/uat/uga and even olemiss will be very successful. I'm hoping for a bowl bid.

I love the way u think!! I also think we will have a better season than OUR own fans believe!! WDE

I love the way u think!! I also think we will have a better season than OUR own fans believe!! WDE

Can't say in agree but atleast your optimistic

I like the optimism but you sir, are nuts.

Best WRs?

Superstar JH?

Top 10 for beating LSU?

NM 7tds (if its a shutout, he won't be in that long)?

38 points averaged against SEC opponents?

WRs - We don't have one Amari Cooper type, but we have a solid group of exceptional athletes who if they play to their potential will be nearly unstoppable.

LBs - Jake Holland has shown the most improvement of anyone on the team. It's not uncommon for the light to come on for a senior whose always been a stud athlete.

TOp 10 for beating LSU - Absolutely. We will have beat a Top 10 team in their stadium by double digits.

Nm 7 TDs - maybe I was exaggerating there, but he could easily have 5 by halftime.

38 ppg against SEC comp - Seriously, Gus is just that good. What he did with less talent for the 09 team tells me this isn't out of the question. Remember, Chizik didn't leave the cupboard bear. There are a lot of studs just waiting to breakout. On defense, Ellis Johnson is responsible for coaching Clowney up. He's the top D coordinator in the land.

Would be wonderful to see

This team didn't win an SEC game last year. We have a whole new coaching staff. A new QB.

This team is going to have to undergo some learning experiences and gain some confidence before we go predicting championships.

8 wins would be a solid year.

However, I don't think Bama is going to be as good as everyone says. Lost a lot of players on defense and O-line.

I hope for a 8+ win season but I feel like it will be closer to a six win season. I just don't think the defense is going to be very solid and I'm not sure the offense will be mature enough to carry the team week after week. Last year was a tough pill to swallow and I hope after the first few games I'm completely wrong. That will go a long way in washing the pill down and helping me forget.

If you gamble on AU football, I would suggest that you stop, or let me be the house.

I love optimism, but some folks are in need of medication. I don't predict a number of wins. I do predict we will be more competitive.

There's nothing wrong with optimism lol. There's also nothing wrong with realistic optimism. 7-5 and a trip to bowl is my hope. A bowl trip at all will have me ecstatic. Too many unproven factors on this team to make that conclusion. Won't say it can't happen, just can't bring myself to hope that high this early in the recovery.

Wash St = W

Ark st = W

Miss St = W

LSU = L

Ol Miss = L

W. Car = W

T A&M = L

Fla. atl. = W

Ark = W?

Tenn = W?

Ga = L

Ala = L

I figure 6 and 6 with a bowl win to 7-6

Im thinking we drop either Tenn or Arky If we are lucky and get both 7-5 and A higher teir bowl that we should also win

SO maybe 8-5 overall if lucky.

The problem I have is ...if I look at each game, I only see us having a talent deficit against Bama, TAMU, LSU and UGa....otherwise I figure we are equal or better as far as talent goes.

So the issue is whether we win all the games that we have the potential to win? ....and do we sneak up on one or two of the superior-talent teams?

I still see about 8-4 but I am just not sure I could say which 8 are going to be wins.... :-\

Don't rain on the guy's parade guys.

Here is the deal, the first 4 games will give us a good indication how we stack up in the SEC and therefore a good idea about the season. Games 1 and 2 allow us to get the kinks ironed out. Game 3 will tell us how well we will do against the SEC teams we "should" beat. Game 4 will tell us where we stack up against the better SEC teams. That is really as far ahead as we need to think.

2-2 start, with losses to MSU and LSU is probably a 6-6 or 7-5 season.

3-1 start, with the loss being to LSU, is probably an 8-4 season. A MSU win bodes well for the Tenn, Arky and Ole Miss games.

4-0 start, this team could build momentum and then all bets are off. It should then be 6-0 going into the TAMU game. An LSU win bodes well for the TAMU, UGa and bama games, making them all truly winnable at that point. Records of 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 and 12-0 would then be within the realm of possibility.

Don't rain on the guy's parade guys.

Here is the deal, the first 4 games will give us a good indication how we stack up in the SEC and therefore a good idea about the season. Games 1 and 2 allows us to get the kinks ironed out. Game 3 will tell us how well we will do against the SEC teams we "should" beat. Game 4 will tell us where we stack up against the better SEC teams. That is really as far ahead as we need to think.

2-2 start, with losses to MSU and LSU is probably a 7-5 season

3-1 start, with the loss being to LSU, is probably an 8-4 season.

4-0 start, this team could build momentum and then all bets are off. TAMU, UGa and Bama will all be winnable.

Agree. The first 4 games should reveal a lot to how our season may play out.

There's nothing wrong with optimism lol. There's also nothing wrong with realistic optimism. 7-5 and a trip to bowl is my hope. A bowl trip at all will have me ecstatic. Too many unproven factors on this team to make that conclusion. Won't say it can't happen, just can't bring myself to hope that high this early in the recovery.

I just think people are underestimating the effect that Gus brings to an offense. He is THE best offensive mind in the country. Throw in a great QB, one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, and a new attitude. All those things add up to a special season IMO.

I just think people are underestimating the effect that Gus brings to an offense. He is THE best offensive mind in the country. Throw in a great QB, one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, and a new attitude. All those things add up to a special season IMO.

I feel the same way!! WDE

• Verified Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,020 posts

Wash St = W

Ark st = W

Miss St = W

LSU = L ? possible upset and we win

Ol Miss = W ?

W. Car = W

T A&M = W I think Manziel won't be playing

Fla. atl. = W

Ark = W ?

Tenn = W

Ga = W ?

Ala = L ?

10-2 is my prediction However there are 5 games that could go either way. Worst I believe is 7-5 best is 11-1. Almost impossible to go undefeated.

• Verified Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,020 posts

Wash St = W

Ark st = W

Miss St = W

Ol Miss = W ?

W. Car = W

Fla. atl. = W

Ark = W ?

Tenn = W

Ga = W ?

Ala = L ?

10-2 is my prediction However there are 5 games that could go either way. Worst I believe is 7-5 best is 11-1. Almost impossible to go undefeated.

If we go into the IB undefeated, I feel confident we walk out undefeated. Our boys are going to be giving 100% effort this year, and I really believe our 100% beats anyone else's 100%

• Verified Member
  • 1,020 posts

Wash St = W

Ark st = W

Miss St = W

Ol Miss = W ?

W. Car = W

Fla. atl. = W

Ark = W ?

Tenn = W

Ga = W ?

Ala = L ?

If we go into the IB undefeated, I feel confident we walk out undefeated. Our boys are going to be giving 100% effort this year, and I really believe our 100% beats anyone else's 100%

Damn dude, we think alike!!

I think we finish 9-3 at worst for the regular season (assuming our players are as healthy as possible throughout the season). Offensively we have A LOT of weapons and apparently the O-Line will be very solid overall. IF our defense improves every week and can get a fair amount of turnovers and 3rd down stops, LOOK OUT!

Archived