i have a friend on another board who is a huge wsu fan

aubiefifty

Your friend should consider the humidity before he speaks....

I dunno about that. The weather today would play just fine for some boys from Washington.

The "Southern Heat" get's way overblown. Plus, the temps so low this summer, there is no advantage.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno about that. The weather today would play just fine for some boys from Washington.

The "Southern Heat" get's way overblown. Plus, the temps so low this summer, there is no advantage.

Didn't USC bring those a/c'd cooling fans in 2003? We also did not run the HUNH then-so the Southern climate could play a role more this year with the O going warp speed.

I believe Coach Johnson and Coach Garner when they say we're struggling to get a pass rush with just our four down linemen. That's all I've ever seen. Ellis has said on a number of occasions that we're not in a position to rush only four and get consistent pressure. He isn't saying we can't get pressure. He's saying we're going to have to bring more than four to get home. He's said that we have to "be creative" to create some issues in the backfield. I'm okay with that. I expect we'll see guys coming from more varied locations than we have in the past.

The coaches have also said that Davis, Mincy, Jones, and White are the strength of the defense. They've raved about Whitehead, and they really like Holsey. If you think about it, we can go into nickel or dime sets with as many as 6 former CBs on the field without distorting our current positions.

Example: Davis and Mincy at CBs, Whitehead and Holsey at Safety (both former CBs in their freshman seasons), with Jones at Dime and Therezie at Star. Everyone of those guys has played CB within the last two years. In other words, we should be good in coverage.

If that's the case, we'll have freedom to send a LB or blitz a Safety or the Star or a CB and still have 5 or 6 guys that can really cover the field. If the back group (the CBs, starting Safeties, and Stars) are as good as Johnson, Smith, and Harbison seem to think they are, they'll give us more freedom to be creative in the pass rush. I trust everything the coaches have said. I believe our front four (with or without Dee) will need some help to get a consistent push, but I also believe our CB depth and coverage guys will allow us to send that help from all over the field.

That said, I don't expect a 17 point blow out or anything. Most years, we get a win in the opener without looking particularly impressive. I just want a win and progress the following week. I am not concerned about style points in the least.

Great post! I'm on record stating that I expect to win this game pretty handily. But I'm also expecting WSU to put up some points and by some I'm thinking along the lines of 28 or so. But i'll be surprised if they can keep us under 40.

You guys know that Washington is near the ocean, right? They get almost as much humidity as we do.

I looked it up, and their humidity is a bit weird. It's actually driest on average in August, while ours is highest in August, but they still get a bunch. With it being a night game, I doubt the weather affects them at all.

Pullman's Weather Averages: http://weatherspark.com/averages/31330/Pullman-Washington-United-States

Auburn's Weather Averages: http://weatherspark.com/averages/29683/Auburn-Alabama-United-States

In all honesty the weather isn't going to affect either team enough to turn the tides of winning or losing. WSU is a team AU SHOULD crush every time.. hopefully that will be the case. I personally believe that Gus & Co. walked into a gold mine of talent and will have them humming in no time but it's hard to tell if I'm seeing the truth or not with all this sunshine blasting me in the eyes :jossun:

Same difference, it's overrated

I'm not sure about Washington, but a few summers ago I went on a month-long trip up to New England. I visited every state in NE for a least a couple days. When I left Alabama it was 95-105 every single day. I got up there and it felt like mid-late October. It was consistently between 75-85 . Every radio disc jockey talked about the current "heat wave" and kept telling people to stay hydrated. When I told people where I was from they'd say something along the lines of "well we've got some Alabama weather so you should feel right at home". I would literally just laugh and shake my head. I don't know if the heat will affect WSU's football players, but the simple fact is that the vast majority of people from other parts of the country are not used to our heat and humidity.

So is Ford hurt or not? I havent read anything on it.

He is banged up. Gus seems to think he will be ready come game day.

I was worried I had missed something when this thread started with it being a given that Ford wasn't playing. Gus said something like he definitely hopes he plays, and that doesn't sound like it's certain he won't.

I'm not sure about Washington, but a few summers ago I went on a month-long trip up to New England. I visited every state in NE for a least a couple days. When I left Alabama it was 95-105 every single day. I got up there and it felt like mid-late October. It was consistently between 75-85 . Every radio disc jockey talked about the current "heat wave" and kept telling people to stay hydrated. When I told people where I was from they'd say something along the lines of "well we've got some Alabama weather so you should feel right at home". I would literally just laugh and shake my head. I don't know if the heat will affect WSU's football players, but the simple fact is that the vast majority of people from other parts of the country are not used to our heat and humidity.

No they aren't..I've had similar experiences with people who think they can speak about the heat and humidity of the deep south but they've never been and the truth is they have no clue. The fact remains though, that the heat and humidity wont help Auburn in this game against WSU. I'll never forget how confident I was going into the USC game in 2003 thinking the weather would be a big assist for Auburn and Auburn got shut out and thumped pretty good. I realize WSU wont be USC but if the weather is going to help its going to help against everyone who isn't accustomed to it... but it doesn't of that I am absolutely certain!

You are correct. Back in my younger days we went to Arizona to play in a baseball tourney. It was in the mid 90's and we sweated very little. I mentioned to the coach that I thought something was wrong with me physically, because I was barely sweating. he explained to me that there heat is a "dry heat" where we have such high humidity. In this part of the country, you can stand in your front yard in mid 90 temp's, for fifteen minutes, and your shirt is soaked.

While I agree its probably not a huge factor, I also can attest to radio comments of 85 being a "heat wave", my experience entering San Francisco Ca/Travis AFB out of Augusta Ga/Ft. Gordon.. The difference is quite amazing.. I was downright cold at night for the first bit.

No they aren't..I've had similar experiences with people who think they can speak about the heat and humidity of the deep south but they've never been and the truth is they have no clue. The fact remains though, that the heat and humidity wont help Auburn in this game against WSU. I'll never forget how confident I was going into the USC game in 2003 thinking the weather would be a big assist for Auburn and Auburn got shut out and thumped pretty good. I realize WSU wont be USC but if the weather is going to help its going to help against everyone who isn't accustomed to it... but it doesn't of that I am absolutely certain!

WSU is on the dry side of the mountains, it will be noticed.

Anyway, We gave the USC game away nuff said, however we also didn't run the Gus Bus and if we are running 80-100 plays depending on our ability to score it will be a factor for their Defense to be running up all over the place.

It could make a difference late in the 4th

WSU is on the dry side of the mountains, it will be noticed.

Anyway, We gave the USC game away nuff said, however we also didn't run the Gus Bus and if we are running 80-100 plays depending on our ability to score it will be a factor for their Defense to be running up all over the place.

It could make a difference late in the 4th

I am as much of a "homer" as anyone, but as I recall, they took it from us. ;):homer:

Ball control folks. Mason left Payne right barber up the middle. Marshall keeps the ball off right end. They have played Oregon. But we are a more violent version. We will win the battle up front on both sides of the ball.

If we can't get our run game goin, it'll actually be a short day for us. WSU will score plenty and often.

Guest WarEagleSteve

If we can't get our run game goin, it'll actually be a short day for us. WSU will score plenty and often.

I disagree. WSU was only six spots ahead of us in scoring offense (106th to our 112th) and gave up 20 more sacks on the year than we did. They also allowed over 100 tackles for loss and threw 21 picks. They were only marginally better on offense than we were against much softer defenses. They return quite a few starters but they'll have to improved tremendously for this to be close.

I disagree. WSU was only six spots ahead of us in scoring offense (106th to our 112th) and gave up 20 more sacks on the year than we did. They also allowed over 100 tackles for loss and threw 21 picks. They were only marginally better on offense than we were against much softer defenses. They return quite a few starters but they'll have to improved tremendously for this to be close.

What's up with this "Steve" character bringing facts and logic to the discussion? We argue with emotion and knee-jerk reactions 'round here!

Completely agree with that!

A few years ago I went to NYC during their heat wave and I must say it was as hot as anything I've seen down here. The concrete just traps and reflects heat so much. The subways were basically saunas.

A few years ago I went to NYC during their heat wave and I must say it was as hot as anything I've seen down here. The concrete just traps and reflects heat so much. The subways were basically saunas.

image.png

I just moved to Jackson from Brooklyn three weeks ago. I assure you. The worst of NYC's summer is as hot and humid as any part of the Mississippi summer (I grew up here). The difference is longevity. The worst of summer lasts about 3 weeks up there. It lasts about 2 months down here.

Archived