i have a friend on another board who is a huge wsu fan

aubiefifty

I will predict a victory and that's as much as I'll do. There are simply too many unknowns concerning this team to say for sure what will happen. I want to see how they play and how much they have improved over last season.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, we should be careful about these predictions of running it up against an overmatched team. Yes, I believe we are far superior in talent. Yes, I believe we should run them out of the stadium. But there's a reason games aren't played on paper, and what happens if they come in and hit us in the mouth? Do we get knocked out, or do we get back up and knock them out?

I'm reminded of the 2003 season, when Auburn was picked to win it all by Sports Illustrated. Of course we aren't nearly so highly ranked this year, and that plays to our advantage, but Georgia Tech spanked us pretty badly to open that season. Thus, I would suggest not getting too carried away with marking it down in the win column just yet.

Correction that I wish I didn't remeber so vividly but USC spanked us to open that campaign and then GT spanked us in week 2. To be so hopeful going into that season and then score 3 pts in our first 8 Qtrs was brutal.

For whatever reason, I had it in my head that it was the other way around, but you're right. Kudos.

I don't see this opener being a gotcha game. This isn't a highly rated team looking to overlook a west coast nobody. This is a team that was absolutely awful last year trying to fight for some respect. I think we win big because these boys are playing with some hate.

I don't see this opener being a gotcha game. This isn't a highly rated team looking to overlook a west coast nobody. This is a team that was absolutely awful last year trying to fight for some respect. I think we win big because these boys are playing with some hate.

^This^ When games like these are close, it's usually because the stonger team over looks the preceived "lesser" team. I believe this years Auburn team is going to come out with as much passion in the opener as if it was the Iron Bowl. These boys are hungy and are ready to get the bad taste of last year out of their mouths. And I believe the fans feel the same way and JHS will be rocking like it hasn't since '10.

I think this is the game we unleash Carl Lawson. Without a huge run threat Carl can be let free to get to the QB and work on his run defense as well

Just one word of correction: Wazzu's pass offense has a very strong vertical dimension. They frequently go four verticals, which is a very precise route (not just tearing off on streaks). If you don't bother the QB, you have a big problem because they only run a few routes and all of them are trouble.

I'm sure our guys are more talented than theirs are. And their OL concerns are well documented. Still, I'm remembering when we played Utah State, and it sure as hell looked like the more talented guys were wearing white.

Ain't that the truth!

And one of them was a true freshman. :-\

That was then, this is now. We will slaughter them in the trenches.

Guys, we should be careful about these predictions of running it up against an overmatched team. Yes, I believe we are far superior in talent. Yes, I believe we should run them out of the stadium. But there's a reason games aren't played on paper, and what happens if they come in and hit us in the mouth? Do we get knocked out, or do we get back up and knock them out?

I'm reminded of the 2003 season, when Auburn was picked to win it all by Sports Illustrated. Of course we aren't nearly so highly ranked this year, and that plays to our advantage, but Georgia Tech spanked us pretty badly to open that season. Thus, I would suggest not getting too carried away with marking it down in the win column just yet.

Correction that I wish I didn't remeber so vividly but USC spanked us to open that campaign and then GT spanked us in week 2. To be so hopeful going into that season and then score 3 pts in our first 8 Qtrs was brutal.

I can still hear the bammers now, "Field goal, Auburn!" Not too blinking funny!!

I think this is the game we unleash Carl Lawson. Without a huge run threat Carl can be let free to get to the QB and work on his run defense as well

I think so as well. Look for Carl to get his feet wet and go hunting for QB's!

Considering that Tuel and Halliday, the two QB's for WSU last year, were sacked a combined 57 times against a mostly PAC 10 defense I think we have a good shot at disrupting their passing game. Auburn's QB's last year were sacked a combined 25 times against SEC defenses and we all know how bad last year was.

Your friend should consider the humidity before he speaks....

I dunno about that. The weather today would play just fine for some boys from Washington.

I dunno about that. The weather today would play just fine for some boys from Washington.

I should have put it in yellow. Long running joke from another board that started when USC (the other USC) came to visit for the first game in 2003. We all talked about how they wouldn't be prepared for the humidity, and then they, in turn, came to JHS and beat us up and down the field..

I should have put it in yellow. Long running joke from another board that started when USC (the other USC) came to visit for the first game in 2003. We all talked about how they wouldn't be prepared for the humidity, and then they, in turn, came to JHS and beat us up and down the field..

Oh gotcha. Yea I remember all the talk about how they weren't gonna be able to handle it. Worked like a charm.

Different time, different coach, different era.

new-day.png

AUSunset-1.jpg

walking into the stadium that day was the hottest I think I have ever been.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Although both teams had the same record last year, I think a lot of us are overlooking the fact that WSU has been REALLY awful for the past decade. The last time they posted a winning record was 2003. They best they've gone since is 6-6 in 2006. They've won a TOTAL of 4 conference games over the past 4 years. Their last head coach was fired for going 9-40 over 4 years. We may have absolutely bottomed out last year but one full season and two recruiting classes under Mike Leach isn't enough to repair that kind of damage. I'm not counting on a blowout but I don't think this will be a difficult game if we've improved to the point the coaches seem to be indicating that we have

Oh gotcha. Yea I remember all the talk about how they weren't gonna be able to handle it. Worked like a charm.

I remember all that talk, too. I also remember us getting our butts kicked.

I believe Coach Johnson and Coach Garner when they say we're struggling to get a pass rush with just our four down linemen. That's all I've ever seen. Ellis has said on a number of occasions that we're not in a position to rush only four and get consistent pressure. He isn't saying we can't get pressure. He's saying we're going to have to bring more than four to get home. He's said that we have to "be creative" to create some issues in the backfield. I'm okay with that. I expect we'll see guys coming from more varied locations than we have in the past.

The coaches have also said that Davis, Mincy, Jones, and White are the strength of the defense. They've raved about Whitehead, and they really like Holsey. If you think about it, we can go into nickel or dime sets with as many as 6 former CBs on the field without distorting our current positions.

Example: Davis and Mincy at CBs, Whitehead and Holsey at Safety (both former CBs in their freshman seasons), with Jones at Dime and Therezie at Star. Everyone of those guys has played CB within the last two years. In other words, we should be good in coverage.

If that's the case, we'll have freedom to send a LB or blitz a Safety or the Star or a CB and still have 5 or 6 guys that can really cover the field. If the back group (the CBs, starting Safeties, and Stars) are as good as Johnson, Smith, and Harbison seem to think they are, they'll give us more freedom to be creative in the pass rush. I trust everything the coaches have said. I believe our front four (with or without Dee) will need some help to get a consistent push, but I also believe our CB depth and coverage guys will allow us to send that help from all over the field.

That said, I don't expect a 17 point blow out or anything. Most years, we get a win in the opener without looking particularly impressive. I just want a win and progress the following week. I am not concerned about style points in the least.

The "Southern Heat" get's way overblown. Plus, the temps so low this summer, there is no advantage.

Archived