i have a friend on another board who is a huge wsu fan

aubiefifty

he already know about our best pass rusher being hurt. he says if we cannot get preassure on their qb it will be a long day for auburn. any thoughts?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right but that kind of goes without saying. Of course it's important to get a pass rush against a passing team like WSU. That's like saying if we can't stop the run against bammer that it's going to be a long day. I ,for one, don't think that missing Dee for the WSU automatically means that we won't be able to get to their QB. They have a notoriously porous O line and our D line is fully capable of applying pressure.

I think their offensive line is one of their key concerns this year. It was pretty bad last year if my memory serves me well. I think our D line will be one of our strengths so I don't see this match up being in their favor personally.

He's wrong. Our second string is more talented than their first string. We will get a good pass rush without Ford, though it would be better with him. We still win by 20. :P

so yall think coach garner is doing the coach thing poor mouthing our d so to speak? i certainly hope so. its just a worry cus our defensive backs are being touted as pretty decent. i guess coaches have different styles................

We got 'em just where we want 'em.

Exactly. "WSU, let us formally introduce you and the rest of the Auburn family, to Mr. Lawson and Mr. Daniels, along with the new to you only Mr. Equae, Mr. Carter, and Mr. Sanders." WDE!

so yall think coach garner is doing the coach thing poor mouthing our d so to speak? i certainly hope so. its just a worry cus our defensive backs are being touted as pretty decent. i guess coaches have different styles................

I think that he has very high standards and also is doing that for the "de-recruitment" purposes he mentioned. So yes, coach speak. If it was terrible, he probably wouldn't be throwing that out in the media.

If Auburn tackles well, the Tigers will be fine. Their pass-offense is designed to stretch opponents side line to side line more than vertically. They won't run much but I imagine they will utilize their RB's in their passing game.

The key to the game will be how Auburn's offense keeps the Wazzou offense off the field. I expect Auburn to rush for 250+ yards.

Nice post, Jack. I agree completely. Our run game will wear them down and we will dominate their "D" in the fourth quarter in the heat at JHS.

WAR EAGLE!!

I don't think it is the coach thing. While he said they didn't do well in second scrimmage he also said they were talented and part of the problem was getting new sets everyday. Another words they don't know D well enough to play fast they are slowing down to think what to do. More Practice reps will help with that and then they probably will not run all their sets in first game. They will add as needed. IMHO they will be fine against WSU but will need to improve from game to game to become a really good D.

Just one word of correction: Wazzu's pass offense has a very strong vertical dimension. They frequently go four verticals, which is a very precise route (not just tearing off on streaks). If you don't bother the QB, you have a big problem because they only run a few routes and all of them are trouble.

I'm sure our guys are more talented than theirs are. And their OL concerns are well documented. Still, I'm remembering when we played Utah State, and it sure as hell looked like the more talented guys were wearing white.

The key to the game will be how Auburn's offense keeps the Wazzou offense off the field. I expect Auburn to rush for 250+ yards.

Nice post, Jack. I agree completely. Our run game will wear them down and we will dominate their "D" in the fourth quarter in the heat at JHS.

WAR EAGLE!!

I also think we'll rack up huge yards running in this game. However, by the 4th quarter it will be 9pm so I wouldn't expect it to be too hot...

Just one word of correction: Wazzu's pass offense has a very strong vertical dimension. They frequently go four verticals, which is a very precise route (not just tearing off on streaks). If you don't bother the QB, you have a big problem because they only run a few routes and all of them are trouble.

I'm sure our guys are more talented than theirs are. And their OL concerns are well documented. Still, I'm remembering when we played Utah State, and it sure as hell looked like the more talented guys were wearing white.

Ain't that the truth!

And one of them was a true freshman. :-\

If Auburn tackles well, the Tigers will be fine. Their pass-offense is designed to stretch opponents side line to side line more than vertically. They won't run much but I imagine they will utilize their RB's in their passing game.

Which is something an AU D has not really done since 2007-2008.

wde

Guys, we should be careful about these predictions of running it up against an overmatched team. Yes, I believe we are far superior in talent. Yes, I believe we should run them out of the stadium. But there's a reason games aren't played on paper, and what happens if they come in and hit us in the mouth? Do we get knocked out, or do we get back up and knock them out?

I'm reminded of the 2003 season, when Auburn was picked to win it all by Sports Illustrated. Of course we aren't nearly so highly ranked this year, and that plays to our advantage, but Georgia Tech spanked us pretty badly to open that season. Thus, I would suggest not getting too carried away with marking it down in the win column just yet.

Guys, we should be careful about these predictions of running it up against an overmatched team. Yes, I believe we are far superior in talent. Yes, I believe we should run them out of the stadium. But there's a reason games aren't played on paper, and what happens if they come in and hit us in the mouth? Do we get knocked out, or do we get back up and knock them out?

I'm reminded of the 2003 season, when Auburn was picked to win it all by Sports Illustrated. Of course we aren't nearly so highly ranked this year, and that plays to our advantage, but Georgia Tech spanked us pretty badly to open that season. Thus, I would suggest not getting too carried away with marking it down in the win column just yet.

Correction that I wish I didn't remeber so vividly but USC spanked us to open that campaign and then GT spanked us in week 2. To be so hopeful going into that season and then score 3 pts in our first 8 Qtrs was brutal.

+1

Archived