i have read some where some think the mississippi schools

aubiefifty

will be favored over auburn. are they really that good?

Wouldn't surprise me if Ole Miss was favored simply because they had a good year last year plus a good recruiting class. If we are 2-0 I would have to say we will be favored against Mrs St. at home.

Looking at the West, we have no gimme' games.

We can make no assumptions about any of these games and have a lot to prove to become favored in any SEC game.

Ole miss is overrated as any team I can reemember IMO. They had wins over Centr. Arky, Tulane, Moo State, UTEP, Arky, Us, and Pitt. Pitt and Moo State were the only relatively competitive school from last year that they beat. They got beat by Vandy and got Slaughtered by Texas.

Not one conference game will be easy this year, unless we've improved an awful lot. State is almost never easy for us, and Ole Miss has a lot of good stuff going on. We've got a lot to prove, and I'm fine with that.

Agreed. I thought there was no way would play poorly enough to lose to Miss St, Ole Miss, Arky, and Vandy last year, but we did. In fact, I remember thinking that if Miss St didn't beat us in 2011, no way we'd lose in 2012. Arky may be worse this year than last, but the rest will be assumed favorites over us, and with Arky on the road for us, probably the same prediction on that game too. Until we prove it.......

We can make no assumptions about any of these games and have a lot to prove to become favored in any SEC game.

100% agree. We have to prove ourselves again before we just go chalking up wins against quality teams. I think we'll have a good chance to win both games but it will not be a gimmie with either Miss. schools. Many like to think of them as being at the bottom of the barrel of the SEC and yes that has been true in the past but they are doing so good things and improving each year. Like it or not we're at the bottom the barrel until we can prove otherwise. A 3-9 record will easily have any team being the underdog in most games. I like that we'll be underdogs. I found that it allows you to focus more and play with greater intensity; a chip on your shoulder.

I think MIss St will be closer than most think. Look at our matchups the last few years and you'll see that we've had some close games. MIss St, to me, is a lot like Arkansas in that I never have a good feeling when we play them. We always seem to get their best. They also have some experience on Offense, too, with Tyler Russell and LaDarius Perkins. Not sure about their defense, tho. They managed to win their first 6-7 games last year, albeit against weaker opponents, in the first half of the season and then faltered late. Look for this game to be a close one. I truly believe if we can pull off this one, it will spring board our year giving our guys a lot of confidence. First SEC game of the year is always a good one to get.

Miss State and Ole Miss were bowl teams last year. Auburn was a long, long, long way from being bowl eligible.

I expect Miss State to take a small step back this season, and Ole Miss to take a step forward. Ole Miss was last year where Auburn is this year-- they are a year ahead of Auburn in terms of rebuilding and coaching stability. They also have a lot of forward momentum.

Also remember, except for a few players here and there, Auburn will have the same players on the field as last season. With a year more experience, conditioning, and coaching, Auburn should be better, but it is very rare that a team will improve more than 3 wins over the previous season's results. If Auburn is bowl eligible, then Malzahn will have done a tremendous job in his first season.

That being said, neither Miss State or Ole Miss beat any great teams last season and they probably won't this season either, but if Bo Wallace is fully recovered from shoulder surgery, Ole Miss will definitely be bowl eligible and will prove to be a difficult team to beat on October 5. Hugh Freeze is a very good coach and will probably be moving to a higher profile job very soon if Ole Miss wins more than 8 games this year.

Not one conference game will be easy this year, unless we've improved an awful lot. State is almost never easy for us, and Ole Miss has a lot of good stuff going on. We've got a lot to prove, and I'm fine with that.

Ditto

Who is the we? The fans? I am pretty sure the staff and players have a mentality that they got a lot to prove after last years debacle. Fans on the other hand just can't get past how traditionally bad the Mississippi schools have been, and how historically AU has beaten them. I believe the home field advantage will be significant in both games and the fact the running game should be a strength for AU....still expect both miss schools to leave it all out there so it will not be a cakewalk for AU...

Maybe Western Carolina is a gimme, but the rest of the games I am not taking anything for granted. It is normal for the bulk of fans to get excited over the start of the season and expections to go sky high, but the coaches and players know their futures are on the line every game this season and know full well they have to take care of business. If Auburn can go into Baton Rouge and give LSU a competitive game and not get completely outmanned and embarrassed like 2 years ago, then I will feel like the team has turned the corner. Until then, I take all predictions and forgone conclusions with a grain of salt.

Compared to what and where everyone was last year yes. Auburn put a dysfunctional team on the field last year. That will not be the case this year IMO...however we still have a QB battle going on with alittle over 2 weeks before kickoff. I have no problem with Auburn being underdogs to every team in the SEC west...until proven other wise because they all beat us last year. I believe Auburn will be alot better this year but I also expect that all the other teams in the SEC are preparing to be better than last year.

100% agree. We have to prove ourselves again before we just go chalking up wins against quality teams. I think we'll have a good chance to win both games but it will not be a gimmie with either Miss. schools. Many like to think of them as being at the bottom of the barrel of the SEC and yes that has been true in the past but they are doing so good things and improving each year. Like it or not we're at the bottom the barrel until we can prove otherwise. A 3-9 record will easily have any team being the underdog in most games. I like that we'll be underdogs. I found that it allows you to focus more and play with greater intensity; a chip on your shoulder.

I agree...we've always played our best as the underdog in season past

Compared to what and where everyone was last year yes. Auburn put a dysfunctional team on the field last year. That will not be the case this year IMO...however we still have a QB battle going on with alittle over 2 weeks before kickoff. I have no problem with Auburn being underdogs to every team in the SEC west...until proven other wise because they all beat us last year. I believe Auburn will be alot better this year but I also expect that all the other teams in the SEC are preparing to be better than last year.

I do not buy into a "qb battle with two weeks to go". Gus is simply not gonna tell until he feels it is time. HE KNOWS NOW............

I do not buy into a "qb battle with two weeks to go". Gus is simply not gonna tell until he feels it is time. HE KNOWS NOW............

Exactly, what does he gain by telling the media and fans? If the coaches and players already know and can get behind him, i don't care if we find out by who takes the first snap in JHS. Keep WSU guessing as who they have to prepare for. there's 3 different qb's with different styles, strengths, and measurable that can cause their defense fits.

Bingo! I stated this when it was just still 4 Qbs in the so called race. He'll tell us when he's good and ready but we have a starter and a back up and it's not that hard to tell who is who.

Miss State and Ole Miss were bowl teams last year. Auburn was a long, long, long way from being bowl eligible.

I expect Miss State to take a small step back this season, and Ole Miss to take a step forward. Ole Miss was last year where Auburn is this year-- they are a year ahead of Auburn in terms of rebuilding and coaching stability. They also have a lot of forward momentum.

Also remember, except for a few players here and there, Auburn will have the same players on the field as last season. With a year more experience, conditioning, and coaching, Auburn should be better, but it is very rare that a team will improve more than 3 wins over the previous season's results. If Auburn is bowl eligible, then Malzahn will have done a tremendous job in his first season.

That being said, neither Miss State or Ole Miss beat any great teams last season and they probably won't this season either, but if Bo Wallace is fully recovered from shoulder surgery, Ole Miss will definitely be bowl eligible and will prove to be a difficult team to beat on October 5. Hugh Freeze is a very good coach and will probably be moving to a higher profile job very soon if Ole Miss wins more than 8 games this year.

It's even more rare for a team to win just 3 games two years after winning it all.

Ole Miss was NOT at the same place last year as we are this year. There's a great deal of talent on the Plains that wasn't/isn't in Oxford, and Malzahn isn't a new face the way Freeze was. Very different situations.

It's even more rare for a team to win just 3 games two years after winning it all.

Ole Miss was NOT at the same place last year as we are this year. There's a great deal of talent on the Plains that wasn't/isn't in Oxford, and Malzahn isn't a new face the way Freeze was. Very different situations.

+1

Losing to the MS schools was shameful, and we have the talent to beat each by 2 touchdowns, even on the road. For once, we have a coach who isn't afraid to tear an opponent to shreads for 60 minutes, whereas Tubs and Chiz simply let off the gas pedal too often.

I think they might be saying that because of how bad we were in 2012. But that being said,, Ole Miss had a pretty good team last year plus they signed a real good recruiting class this year. As far as Miss. State goes, the media always builds them up in pre-season.

I think they might be saying that because of how bad we were in 2012. But that being said,, Ole Miss had a pretty good team last year plus they signed a real good recruiting class this year. As far as Miss. State goes, the media always builds them up in pre-season.

I agree. I think Ole Miss will be very good this year. They were competitive with UGA (first half), Texas A&M, and UAT. Miss. St. I think is over rated. Mullins seat will be very hot with another bad year, especially if Ole Miss has another good year.

Losing to the MS schools was shameful, and we have the talent to beat each by 2 touchdowns, even on the road. For once, we have a coach who isn't afraid to tear an opponent to shreads for 60 minutes, whereas Tubs and Chiz simply let off the gas pedal too often.

Malzahn unchained!

Archived