Suite Life - Players Move In New South Donahue Residence Hall

RunInRed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. Is it only for student athletes?

As posted elsewhere 51% non student athletes....

Thanks for info. Glad non student athletes will get to the chance to experience the suites as well.

Me too, as I will be moving into it on the 17th!

Nice! I'm sure everyone will enjoy it. I hope they have some way to make sure student keep it nice and clean. It's a great thing for the school.

Thanks for info. Glad non student athletes will get to the chance to experience the suites as well.

Nice! I'm sure everyone will enjoy it. I hope they have some way to make sure student keep it nice and clean. It's a great thing for the school.

It is, and the way it worked in the Village (I lived there last year) is they would inspect your room and give you a list of what all was wrong when you moved in. Then, when you moved out, they would come back and re-inspect. If anything had happened (a poster ripped a little paint off of the wall, cabinets broken, couch ripped, bed frame broken, etc.) then they would charge your e-Bill. They use the money that they charge you to repair all of the damages for the next year.

Before you move out, they also have you clean the entire room, top to bottom, including kitchen, bathroom, sinks, floors, etc. You have to make a note of what you cleaned and what your roommate(s) cleaned, and all persons in the room have to sign the paper.

It is, and the way it worked in the Village (I lived there last year) is they would inspect your room and give you a list of what all was wrong when you moved in. Then, when you moved out, they would come back and re-inspect. If anything had happened (a poster ripped a little paint off of the wall, cabinets broken, couch ripped, bed frame broken, etc.) then they would charge your e-Bill. They use the money that they charge you to repair all of the damages for the next year.

Before you move out, they also have you clean the entire room, top to bottom, including kitchen, bathroom, sinks, floors, etc. You have to make a note of what you cleaned and what your roommate(s) cleaned, and all persons in the room have to sign the paper.

Cool. Good to hear that. I'm c/o 05' and that would've been AUsome to have experienced.

Extremely nice. Very pricey. One thing I didn't notice, in the pic's and my eyes don't work well enough to see them on the floor plan, was a stove or oven.

Extremely nice. Very pricey. One thing I didn't notice, in the pic's and my eyes don't work well enough to see them on the floor plan, was a stove or oven.

There is not a stove or oven in the room (college kids would burn the place down before the first game, lol) but if it is anything like the Village, there is a full kitchen on the 1st floor that has a stove and oven. The kitchen has a sink, a full fridge, and a microwave. A lot of people bring toasters and George Foreman's with them. That's what my roommate did last year, cooked a pound of bacon every Thursday and watched the Office. Good times.

There is not a stove or oven in the room (college kids would burn the place down before the first game, lol) but if it is anything like the Village, there is a full kitchen on the 1st floor that has a stove and oven. The kitchen has a sink, a full fridge, and a microwave. A lot of people bring toasters and George Foreman's with them. That's what my roommate did last year, cooked a pound of bacon every Thursday and watched the Office. Good times.

Grilled cheese sandwiches with the iron...oh, good times, haha

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I thought about the fire danger after I posted. It does make sense, but it makes the Sunday morning eggs, grits, and bacon/sausage a bit of a hassle......and the 1:30 a.m. "munchies for real food" a bit of a hassle also.

My 1st dorm (way pre-microwave) only allowed popcorn poppers in the communal laundry room. I gained some local fame from my chicken-and-dumpling dinners (busted up pot pies)

Ha Ha! Yea. Most new suties on college campus don't have stoves b/c like AUEngineer2016 said the students would burn the place down. lol. At some schools i know they even require the students be on a meal plan in order to be eligible to stay in the newer suites b/c they don't have stoves.

Malzahn stated that Seniors did not have to live there if they did not want to, but some of them are. As far as eating there will be a cafeteria across the street,along with parking.

Malzahn stated that Seniors did not have to live there if they did not want to, but some of them are. As far as eating there will be a cafeteria across the street,along with parking.

Emphasis on the "will be", as they have not broken ground on the new dining facility yet. The closest places to eat will be Village Dining, Lupton Hall (in the Hill), or the Student Center.

Ha Ha! Yea. Most new suties on college campus don't have stoves b/c like AUEngineer2016 said the students would burn the place down. lol. At some schools i know they even require the students be on a meal plan in order to be eligible to stay in the newer suites b/c they don't have stoves.

Right now, Auburn requires students to have a meal plan- On campus students must have a $995 per semester plan, off campus students must have a $300 per semester plan. Those meal plans can be re-loaded at any time through the semester.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I thought about the fire danger after I posted. It does make sense, but it makes the Sunday morning eggs, grits, and bacon/sausage a bit of a hassle......and the 1:30 a.m. "munchies for real food" a bit of a hassle also.

Your Sunday morning breakfast can be found either at Denny's All-Nighter (ironically, never open 24/7, closes at the latest at 8pm) or at Bazillia's downtown. The 1:30 a.m. "munchies for real food" probably requires going to either the C-Stop (they have sandwiches, sushi, salad, fruit cups, etc. that they make several times a week) or somewhere off campus (Taco Bell over by the AU Hotel comes to mind)

Non-athletes get to experience it for +/- $5,500 per semester. Granite counter tops, hardwood floors, flat screen TV, washer/dryer, bed & bath combo, full kitchen... Very nice and very expensive for the average college student. I started out in TheQuad housing/dorms and because I didn't know any better, I loved it back then. TheVillage housing is nice as well - but South Donahue is the beez kneez.

Non-athletes get to experience it for +/- $5,500 per semester. Granite counter tops, hardwood floors, flat screen TV, washer/dryer, bed & bath combo, full kitchen... Very nice and very expensive for the average college student. I started out in TheQuad housing/dorms and because I didn't know any better, I loved it back then. TheVillage housing is nice as well - but South Donahue is the beez kneez.

Wow... I bought a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath condo at Lakewood Commons for less than that... granted that was too many years ago for me to be comfortable thinking about, but still...

Guaranteed a LOT nicer than the crappy trailer I stayed in my first two years out in Gentilly II. Then we moved into Concourse Apartments over behind McDonald's. Not over the top nice, but super convenient to campus and downtown. Oh the memories!!

I guess one question, one that might separate the men from the old men is

Is there any such thing as a dorm "room" anymore, or is everything suite-based?

I guess one question, one that might separate the men from the old men is

Is there any such thing as a dorm "room" anymore, or is everything suite-based?

Heck, in 1991, I lived in on campus, suite based housing... granted, with it's lovely cinder block and linoleum motif, CDV extension had to have been designed by someone who specializes in prisons, but it was suites... just not sweet.

Guaranteed a LOT nicer than the crappy trailer I stayed in my first two years out in Gentilly II. Then we moved into Concourse Apartments over behind McDonald's. Not over the top nice, but super convenient to campus and downtown. Oh the memories!!

+1. Me too. Lived in one bedroom efficency (i.e. one bedroom, combo kitchen/living room and a bathroom) in 1987 on Magnolia just down the road from Mama G's. I think the complex is still there, btw, lol. Moved up in the world in 1988 when I moved into a TRAILER in Gentilly!!! Ahh, the memories....

Archived