Coach Malzahn speaks to Birmingham Rotary Club

RunInRed

I think Gus just took Barry Manilow's place.

Falsest thing ever typed in the history if these intrawebs.

Falsest isn't a word but it should be.

Had to bring a little bit of AE back! :laugh:

Nothing wrong with that. It still made me laugh when I read your malarkey. I won't tell your Manilow fan club buddies on you.

Here's what stood out to me ...

• Malzahn will be calling the plays on gameday ... I had always assumed he would be 'involved' but had not heard that type of definitive declaration from him before.

• We have heard from Jay G. Tate and others about how CGM has strategically ramped up the support staff to 'compete' (i.e., recruiting, gameday planning, film breakdown, etc) ... turns out a lot of them are just another set of eyes on players to keep them in line. Who knew? Throw in his comment about monitoring social media and it lets you know there's a big difference now in how the coaches are keeping a close eye on the players. Good. We need this type of structure and discipline.

• Whether CGM pans out or not over the long run, who knows? But one thing is obvious, the guy has a plan he adamantly believes in and he's relentlessly working it.

Something tells me things are about to get fun ...

"CGM: I've never been a predictor but I promise you this....we'll play hard and we'll put product on the field that you are proud of #Auburn" that is a good start, coach

"CGM: I've never been a predictor but I promise you this....we'll play hard and we'll put product on the field that you are proud of #Auburn" that is a good start, coach

Bet that.

Had to bring a little bit of AE back! :laugh:

Nothing wrong with that. It still made me laugh when I read your malarkey. I won't tell your Manilow fan club buddies on you.

He'd be voted out for sure

Q: What are you doing differently for academics?

A: The reason we hired off the field guys is not for recruiting...

It's so each assisting coach has an assistant. So we can monitor players when coaches are out on recruiting trail.

This is deceptively huge IMO. Many of these guys are still man-boys. Dye even had "assistants" making sure players woke up and got to their exams.

Q: Talk about offensive games management

A: @rhettlashlee & I will both be on field, I will play call. Rhett & I only ones on headset

One of my only concerns about coaches in the booth: 40+ years after we put a man on the moon it's child's play for slimeball opposing teams to intercept headset communication.

CGM on QB Nick Marshall: He's an athletic freak, he's what you read, can launch the ball 80yds, time will tell if he can pick up the Offense

Well hopefully his interception propensity is NOT still what we read.

"Coach Dameyune Craig, my former teammate and a guy on a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks, told me Nick Marshall is the best athlete he has ever seen, period. In fact, he told me he's surprised Nick is not playing point guard in the NBA…”. ^^ This is all I need to know on who I think will be starting qb!! For D. Craig to make that statement is huge because he himself was a great athlete playing qb!!

Main thing I got out of this is that Coach Malzahn definitely noticed and corrected a major attitude problem with the team. Doesn't start with talent/athletic ability.. it starts with your mindset and your attitude. Everything builds upon that from there.

+1

Mental toughness was lost on this team for a long time. Words cannot express my joy in seeing Gus say his head will be on a swivel in the first game and he will be looking for bad attitudes and bad body language at the very first sign of adversity. WOW makes a fan wanna jump up and down with excitement! Now that's the way to force leaders to emerge, cut the crap out and get to freakin work - these guys WILL be forced to get the "Auburn" edge back.

• Malzahn will be calling the plays on gameday ... I had always assumed he would be 'involved' but had not heard that type of definitive declaration from him before.

• We have heard from Jay G. Tate and others about how CGM has strategically ramped up the support staff to 'compete' (i.e., recruiting, gameday planning, film breakdown, etc) ... turns out a lot of them are just another set of eyes on players to keep them in line. Who knew? Throw in his comment about monitoring social media and it lets you know there's a big difference now in how the coaches are keeping a close eye on the players. Good. We need this type of structure and discipline.

• Whether CGM pans out or not over the long run, who knows? But one thing is obvious, the guy has a plan he adamantly believes in and he's relentlessly working it.

"Twitter is a privilege - we montior it - if abused - we KILL it." ----------------->>>> LOVE IT!

A coach can be heavily involved through a reactionary micromanagement style, where he fixates on details and misses the big picture. Or a coach can have a well thought out yet detailed plan, where micromanagement is unnecessary because the details are instilled in his staff and his team. I think we have transitioned from the former to the latter...

Archived