Coach Malzahn speaks to Birmingham Rotary Club

RunInRed

Some of this is old/rehashed news but there were a few new tidbits as well. The recap (from our Twitter feed where this was live-posted [hint: you should be following @AUFAMILY if you aren't already]):

@CoachGusMalzahn is speaking to the Birmingham Rotary Club shortly, stay tuned for updates... #Auburn

Big crowd, about 350 in attendance to hear Gus ...

Raymond Harbert is currently introducing Gus ...

Gus takes the mic ...his last stop on the speaking circuit before practice starts Friday

Gus gives a shout out to former #Auburn QB Neil Caudle, who is in attendance

@CoachGusMalzahn at Birmingham Rotary Club meeting...

BQhREswCEAE1PI2.jpg

CGM: Best academic semesters (last Spring) in history of @FootballAU

CGM: Zero off the field problems since he was hired, very few programs in country can say that #Auburn

CGM: It's a new day, I don't care what happened in past

CGM: When we took over, lots of trust issues, we've made huge strides on that front

CGM: First team meeting was tough

CGM: Lots of "Dr Phil-ing"in first month

CGM: Started coaching @rhettlashlee in 7th grade

CGM: I'm going to be involved in calling offense still #Auburn

CGM: If play didn't work, @rhettlashlee called that one!

CGM: Important that I hired coaches that loved #Auburn ....@coachg76 and @CoachDCraig

CGM: They talk to players about "what #Auburn means to them"....priceless message @CoachDCraig @coachg76

CGM: Number one goal of fall camp, get our edge back

CGM: Biggest stress and No 1 priority of Fall camp is who is QB

CGM: On timing of finding QB, "Chris Todd won job in practice 9"

CGM: So I'll know quickly (who is going to be our QB)

CGM: QB Jermey Johnson has put on 20 lbs

CGM: I expect Jeremy Johnson to be Cam size by the time it's over

CGM: Cameron Artis-Payne.....old school, fall forward, expect huge things

CGM: Jay Prosch = Exactly what #Auburn represents

CGM: Surprised how well Prosch catches ball down field

CGM: Prosch probably MVP of spring

CGM: No names mentioned for WR ... I won't mention any ... We have to find a guy we can count on ... wide open position

CGM: Reese Dismukes has grown up.....needed to grow up ... now one of our leaders

CGM: Shon Coleman......excited for him, a guy you root for

CGM: Defensively we will run a 4-2-5....3 Safeties in field

CGM: One proven pass rusher ... Dee Ford

CGM: Freshman DL playing time will be based on how quickly they pick it up

Side note: @CoachGusMalzahn has a very quick delivery....barely stops to breathe #HUNH

CGM: (on DL) We're looking for our Nick Fairley

CGM: (DL contd) Looking for someone to come from up middle

CGM: Star position.....focus of Ellis Johnson's defense

CGM: Justin Garrett Defensive MVP of Spring

CGM: Defensive key is being able to rush 4 and corners that can cover man to man

CGM: We're not going to be looking to fair catch on punts

CGM: On every punt, we want to score a TD

CGM: I've never been a predictor but I promise you this....we'll play hard and we'll put product on the field that you are proud of #Auburn

CGM: My dream job was #Auburn ....never expected to have opportunity this quick

End of prepared remarks ... Some Q&A ...

Q: How soon to name QB?

A: No date set, but I want to name as soon as I'm certain

Q: Is QB rotation an option?

A: No. I believe in one guy. However, I do like having a wildcat option if you have the right guy.

Q: Talk about @ChetteW

A: One of those guys players have a unique relationship with ... I'm a big fan of his.

Q: What are you doing differently for academics?

A: The reason we hired off the field guys is not for recruiting...

It's so each assisting coach has an assistant. So we can monitor players when coaches are out on recruiting trail.

Q: Talk about offensive games management

A: @rhettlashlee & I will both be on field, I will play call. Rhett & I only ones on headset

Tidbits: - Athletic dorms are 49% athletes; Very nice; I'm huge on team togetherness; This allows us to do that.

CGM on social media: "Twitter is a privilege, we monitor it. If it is abused, we'll kill it" #Auburn

One other observation: Not one mention of saban or bama

CGM on QB Nick Marshall: He's an athletic freak, he's what you read, can launch the ball 80yds, time will tell if he can pick up the Offense

CGM also fielded a question on emerging leaders. A: We'll find out quickly. I can't wait until we face adversity for 1st time against WSU...My head will be on a swivel looking for bad body language or attitudes. We'll know who our leaders are when adversity presents itself.

@AUFAMILY

From another quarter (and haven't seen it posted yet):

"Coach Dameyune Craig, my former teammate and a guy on a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks, told me Nick Marshall is the best athlete he has ever seen, period. In fact, he told me he's surprised Nick is not playing point guard in the NBA…” Rob Pate as quoted at

http://auburn.247spo...scom-20227334/1

Some quick points that I noticed:

1) People who have counted JJ out in the past in the QB race (myself included) may want to rethink that. If he's added 20 lbs, that puts him at about 6'6" 230 lbs I believe (his HS profile lists him at 6'6" 215 lbs), and he has shown in HS that he is a threat to run and pass. I'd like to see him redshirted, but he could truely be a monster already.

2) I don't think that we necessarily have a #1 RB and a #2 RB, more like a #1a and #1b in CAP and Tre. I also think that we can count both of them as "starters" because they will get so much playing time. CAP is more of a bruiser, Tre is more of a speed back. Just different styles, both work well in this offense.

3) I will be living in the South Donahue Residence Hall next year as one of the 51% that is non-athlete. I absolutely cannot wait, and will definitely be posting pictures as soon as possible.

4) Everyone that has talked about NM has praised him. I am very anxious to see how he handles game situtions. If he is as fast as Jay Prosch says he is, and as good as CDC says he is, I think he could have a breakout year this year.

5) I think our final W-L record this year is directly correlated to our QB play. If we have a great QB, I think the sky is the limit. If we have another situation like last year, I think that we could all be very disappointed. And there is room for everything and anything inbetween.

Edited to confirm JJ's HS weight

Some quick points that I noticed:

1) People who have counted JJ out in the past in the QB race (myself included) may want to rethink that. If he's added 20 lbs, that puts him at about 6'6" 230 lbs I believe, and he has shown in HS that he is a threat to run and pass. I'd like to see him redshirted, but he could truely be a monster already.

2) I don't think that we necessarily have a #1 RB and a #2 RB, more like a #1a and #1b in CAP and Tre. I also think that we can count both of them as "starters" because they will get so much playing time. CAP is more of a bruiser, Tre is more of a speed back. Just different styles, both work well in this offense.

3) I will be living in the South Donahue Residence Hall next year as one of the 51% that is non-athlete. I absolutely cannot wait, and will definitely be posting pictures as soon as possible.

4) Everyone that has talked about NM has praised him. I am very anxious to see how he handles game situtions. If he is as fast as Jay Prosch says he is, and as good as CDC says he is, I think he could have a breakout year this year.

5) I think our final W-L record this year is directly correlated to our QB play. If we have a great QB, I think the sky is the limit. If we have another situation like last year, I think that we could all be very disappointed. And there is room for everything and anything inbetween.

I'm with you brother! except I would add:

6) Our defense WILL surprise everyone.

"Coach Dameyune Craig, my former teammate and a guy on a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks, told me Nick Marshall is the best athlete he has ever seen, period. In fact, he told me he's surprised Nick is not playing point guard in the NBA…” Rob Pate as quoted at

it moved.

Agree about the defense. I think by the 5-6 game at most, Verne and Gary are gonna be talking about how "this is a whole different team from last year, Verne."

I stand by my earlier prediction. The real QB battle is between JJ and NM ;) I'm so excited that we're finally about to start practice. I'm getting tired of talking about it and want some real information!

Thanks for that RIR. I will say it again....I have a man crush on Gus.

all this time I thought it was bird

Bird is my hero. Golf is my zero. (shhhhhh. Don't tell him I typed that)

It really is nice not to hear "coach speak" on every answer. I noticed today that I am really starting to get hyped for the season. The nip is in the air. (it was a brisk 92 today)

Main thing I got out of this is that Coach Malzahn definitely noticed and corrected a major attitude problem with the team. Doesn't start with talent/athletic ability.. it starts with your mindset and your attitude. Everything builds upon that from there.

Main thing I got out of this is that Coach Malzahn definitely noticed and corrected a major attitude problem with the team. Doesn't start with talent/athletic ability.. it starts with your mindset and your attitude. Everything builds upon that from there.

Agreed. The team as a whole had a battered and bruised psyche. They needed some Dr. Phil type focus. Get level set and move onward and upward!

Really good stuff. I'm on board with a man crush on Gus as well.

I've always thought that Marshall will be our starting QB, and Gus' and Craig's comments reinforce that to me as long he has a decent grasp of the offense. I never figured JJ to be realistically in the mix though, but the info on his growth and athletic ability make me second guess that a bit. Will be really interesting how the first couple of weeks of camp develops.

I stand by my earlier prediction. The real QB battle is between JJ and NM ;)/> I'm so excited that we're finally about to start practice. I'm getting tired of talking about it and want some real information!

I also stand by mine as well: Nick Marshall Starting qb!!

it moved.

Out of everything I have read/heard concerning Marshall, this article is the most impressive.

This season could turn-out a-little better than 6-6 or 7-5.

it moved.

Out of everything I have read/heard concerning Marshall, this article is the most impressive.

This season could turn-out a-little better than 6-6 or 7-5.

It will be, Bank it!!

Archived