2014 3* C Andrew Marshall (Georgia Tech signee)

VA Tiger

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the difference between a guard and a center? Why don't we recruit the best athlete without regard to their high school position? I understand that once a QB and center get accustomed to each other it's hard to change, but players are often moved between guard and center. If the pickings are slim at center this year, why not take an athletic guard?

BTW, Todd McClure, who just retired as the Atlanta Falcons center and will be inducted into their ring of honor is 6' 1", 286 lbs. If one can play center in the NFL at that size it seems one can certainly play in college if the weight is muscle. McClure's replacement, Peter Konz, is 6'5" and 315 lbs and played guard last year.

A Center is a harder position to play than Guard. It's not a position that you can just do, you have to work on it constantly...not to include having to up against some of the best interior linemen in the Country. If you are used to being a Center, even in High School, then you already have that rhythm. Also, if you're able to call the audibles based on the defense, then that's another plus.

Like I said, being a Center is harder than being a Guard.

What is the difference between a guard and a center? Why don't we recruit the best athlete without regard to their high school position? I understand that once a QB and center get accustomed to each other it's hard to change, but players are often moved between guard and center. If the pickings are slim at center this year, why not take an athletic guard?

BTW, Todd McClure, who just retired as the Atlanta Falcons center and will be inducted into their ring of honor is 6' 1", 286 lbs. If one can play center in the NFL at that size it seems one can certainly play in college if the weight is muscle. McClure's replacement, Peter Konz, is 6'5" and 315 lbs and played guard last year.

Peter Konz also started 3 seasons at Center when he was at Wisconsin.

1 - I would love to have Andrew Marshall as the center. Being a good center and a smart guy would make him a real asset.

2 - Casher may come back. It's July/Aug so he did the right thing if he wasn't sure. If he signs in Feb we'll be happy.

3 - The Auburn degree will benefit you just as much as the time you put into it. The same can be said for any university. Your first job may come because of the name of the University. But, your success 15 years down the road will involve far more factors - hard work being very important

A Center is a harder position to play than Guard. It's not a position that you can just do, you have to work on it constantly...not to include having to up against some of the best interior linemen in the Country. If you are used to being a Center, even in High School, then you already have that rhythm. Also, if you're able to call the audibles based on the defense, then that's another plus.

Casher has never played center in HS. He has played Guard and Tackle.

Good point. Everyone says Casher is the No. 1 center but he's really never played center much if any so who really knows.

So is this gonna end up in a poll like White v Harris? Just checking....

I had not planned on it. My guess is if we did a poll 70% would want Marshall.

I would say 55-60% but who knows?

I'm going to see him play this fall if I can work it around travel to and from AU games. If not I will go watch practice and report back, Lol. Heck, I hear the Band practice every night at the house! I'll take some pics as well. Maybe I can get a side gig with 247/AUC!!

I'm going to see him play this fall if I can work it around travel to and from AU games. If not I will go watch practice and report back, Lol. Heck, I hear the Band practice every night at the house! I'll take some pics as well. Maybe I can get a side gig with 247/AUC!!

Let me know how good the pay is.

Let me know how good the pay is.

:cheers:

I know, that's why I'd like to see Andrew Marshall get the committable offer.

FWIW most players recruited as a C by most schools do not actually play C til they get to college.

FWIW most players recruited as a C by most schools do not actually play C til they get to college.

A huge exception being Dismukes.

With all due respect, and I mean that...

Why are we still talking about this kid? (over 20 pages worth) There is nothing new with him. He doesn't have an offer. He visited and worked out for the coaches, and still didn't get an offer. So we know where the coaches stand, regarding Marshall.

So until something changes, lets let this season play out.

Again, I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said a few weeks ago he will only hold off until he gets an offer from GTech or UGa. I predict he will be starting center at least 3 years for Jackets. Even if we offered now (which I don't think we will) I would say it's too late. Ship has sailed. Good luck Andrew except if and when you play against Auburn.

Like I said a few weeks ago he will only hold off until he gets an offer from GTech or UGa. I predict he will be starting center at least 3 years for Jackets. Even if we offered now (which I don't think we will) I would say it's too late. Ship has sailed. Good luck Andrew except if and when you play against Auburn.

Slow up on the gloating. He has not committed yet.

Would really love to see us get this guy (if we offer.) But then again, he does go to the high school I graduated from. Would be the first guy from West Forsyth to play at Auburn.

Guest jojo1515

If Kozan is our center of the future, why then were we recruiting Casher and take his commitment?

I'm guessing for the same reason that JJ is the QB of the future, yet we have a commit from Elite 11 MVP Sean White and 2015 QB Queen. You always need more than one of everything. If yo u take the starting 22 plus 2 kickers you have 24 starters...not counting O and D backups that start on ST. That leaves you 61 scholarships for backups to spread out how you wish. Being 3 deep at all postions on O and D requires 66 schollys. That leaves 19 schollys to spread around between kickers, 4th team guys and special positions like long snapper. By this logic, you should always have 3 centers ( or 3 of every position) on scholly...or at least 3 people capable of staring at center. Of course, it is a coaches decision how to use their 85 schollys, so it is not an exact science

Archived