2013 SEC Media Days

RunInRed

I don't know where to begin. Somebody wrote a story based on a guy wearing a shirt that he hates another team/college? This is not even regional or SEC. Go to any of a number of NFL games and see what fans are wearing. Or don't limit it to football. Soccer, basketball...rugby! Journalists I sometimes think need to get out of their cloistered, ivory tower little offices and see what the world's like.

fwiw, the story talks of Bama blowing a 24 point lead LAST November and the tornados so what's this Bamzo doing this decade?

This rivalry for all the passion it has on both sides has nothing on the soccer leagues and what goes on there. I mean they have riots and even kill refs in the middle of a match.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bielema just put his defensive players into a coffin with those words tbh

Does anybody have his presser? I would like to hear what he said. Thanks.

I do PM coming your way

K. Thanks. I will sit right here and wait on it.

:whistle: (I have missed supper and it's getting close to my bedtime. I sure hope you PM me that vid soon.)

Gus Malzahn, Bret Bielema spar over wide-open offenses

HOOVER, Ala. – Two coaches went head-to-head at their first SEC Media Days appearance Wednesday.

5]Regarding the topic of hurry-up offenses being dangerous for players due to the inability to make substitutions for extended periods of time, new Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has a strong opinion. He has no desire to slow down up-tempo attacks, nor does he think they pose a safety threat.

5]"When I first heard that, to be honest with you, I thought it was a joke," he said. "As far as health or safety issues, that's like saying the defense shouldn't blitz after a first down because they're a little fatigued and there's liable to be a big collision in the backfield."

5]MAZIEL:
Is it time to leave him alone?

5]Moments later, new Arkansas coach Bret Bielema stepped up to the podium and was informed that Malzahn thought his views were a "joke."

5]"He thought it was a joke?" Bielema said. "I'm not a comedian."

5]Then Bielema got all fired up, saying that when he recruits, he can't go into a kid's home, move him across the country and look his parents in the eye and tell them he will look out for their son's personal well-being if he were going to condone this style of play.

5]CLEMSON:
QB reacts to being called "scared"

5]"All I know is this," Bielema continued. "There are times when an offensive player and a defensive player are on the field for an extended period of time without a break. You cannot tell me that a player after play five is the same player that he is after play 15. If that exposes him to a risk of injury, then that's my fault."

5]Malzahn also noted that if the rules change regarding the no-huddle, officials should look into defensive players faking injuries to slow down the pace of the game.

5]Bielema had an answer for that, too.

5]"You know what, in addition to not being a comedian, I'm not an actor," he said. "I can't tell you how to tell a kid how to fake an injury."

5]Arkansas defensive end Chris Smith has a solution to the discussion.

5]"If you got 3-and-out, it doesn't really matter," he said.

5]There's no scientific data that suggests playing an up-tempo offense is hazardous to an athlete's health, but the longer a player is on the field, the more opportunity for injury. Last year, Oregon ran 81.46 plays per game and Texas A&M ran 78.8. By comparison, Alabama and a Bielema-coached Wisconsin team had averaged more than 10 fewer plays per game.

5]Nick Saban, who shares the same belief as Bielema, will speak at media days Thursday. So this conversation is not closed.

Gus Malzahn, Bret Bielema spar over wide-open offenses

HOOVER, Ala. – Two coaches went head-to-head at their first SEC Media Days appearance Wednesday.

5]Regarding the topic of hurry-up offenses being dangerous for players due to the inability to make substitutions for extended periods of time, new Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has a strong opinion. He has no desire to slow down up-tempo attacks, nor does he think they pose a safety threat.

5]"When I first heard that, to be honest with you, I thought it was a joke," he said. "As far as health or safety issues, that's like saying the defense shouldn't blitz after a first down because they're a little fatigued and there's liable to be a big collision in the backfield."

5]MAZIEL:
Is it time to leave him alone?

5]Moments later, new Arkansas coach Bret Bielema stepped up to the podium and was informed that Malzahn thought his views were a "joke."

5]"He thought it was a joke?" Bielema said. "I'm not a comedian."

5]Then Bielema got all fired up, saying that when he recruits, he can't go into a kid's home, move him across the country and look his parents in the eye and tell them he will look out for their son's personal well-being if he were going to condone this style of play.

5]CLEMSON:
QB reacts to being called "scared"

5]"All I know is this," Bielema continued. "There are times when an offensive player and a defensive player are on the field for an extended period of time without a break. You cannot tell me that a player after play five is the same player that he is after play 15. If that exposes him to a risk of injury, then that's my fault."

5]Malzahn also noted that if the rules change regarding the no-huddle, officials should look into defensive players faking injuries to slow down the pace of the game.

5]Bielema had an answer for that, too.

5]"You know what, in addition to not being a comedian, I'm not an actor," he said. "I can't tell you how to tell a kid how to fake an injury."

5]Arkansas defensive end Chris Smith has a solution to the discussion.

5]"If you got 3-and-out, it doesn't really matter," he said.

5]There's no scientific data that suggests playing an up-tempo offense is hazardous to an athlete's health, but the longer a player is on the field, the more opportunity for injury. Last year, Oregon ran 81.46 plays per game and Texas A&M ran 78.8. By comparison, Alabama and a Bielema-coached Wisconsin team had averaged more than 10 fewer plays per game.

5]Nick Saban, who shares the same belief as Bielema, will speak at media days Thursday. So this conversation is not closed.

Thanks E! Now I can finally go make me a samich. I knew I could count on you. I can't count on Golf for anything except jackwagonnessess.

HOOVER, Ala. — Gus Malzahn says he hopes "somebody will establish himself early" in the race to be Auburn's starting quarterback, but, until then, "we've got four guys and we're going into this thing with a very open mind."

Malzahn was not close to naming a starting quarterback as he arrived for his turn at SEC Media Days.

"We'll be very upfront with our guys," Malzahn said.

Auburn has two experienced quarterbacks in Kiehl Frazier and Jonathan Wallace, and two newcomers in junior college transfer Nick Marshall and Alabama high school Mr. Football Jeremy Johnson.

When asked, Malzahn said Marshall has been steady in summer workouts.

"All I've heard is he's got a good attitude and he's worked hard since he's been here," Malzahn said.

Malzahn said naming a starting quarterback is the No. 1 priority, "but we have a lot of questions that need to be answered."

Like when? He said he named Chris Todd the starter in 2009 nine days into fall practice. "Hopefully, it will be earlier than later."

Malzahn said he wasn't sure if he'd use a Wildcat quarterback. He didn’t when he had Cam Newton.

"When Cam started, he wasn't our Wildcat guy. Then I figured out he needed to be. That's how smart I am," Malzahn joked.

Other notes from Malzahn's early meeting with the media:

**Fall practice will begin Aug. 2. Players report Aug. 1.

**Malzahn said the "summer as been good. Our players have gotten stronger, and, of course, they needed to."

**He said signee Earnest Robinson will begin his college career in junior college. Signee Jason Smith "is still up in the air. Nothing finalized at this point."

**On expectations for the season:

"There are a lot question marks going into this year. We'll learn a lot in fall camp."

But the expectations for improvement are there. Malzahn saw that with a record crowd for the A-Day Game.

"It's been overwhelming for me. We have the best fans in college football, and they've showed that. There's a lot of excitement when you go speak at places. It's a real special feeling.

"True families have a way of rallying, and that's what you saw. It really gave our players and coaches a shot in the arm."

Also: "We talk about getting our edge back. We're going to be very physical in fall camp. That's just what we'll have to do."

**Which newcomers have a chance to help this year?

"All of them. Everybody who shows up will have an opportunity to help us."

That means us, right?

Who is the RB Jay was talking about at the 30 sec mark?! Thank you in advance!

Jonathan Ford. His nickname is Rudy.

SEC meida days: Joe Tessitore and David Pollack get into it a little talking about the SEC going to 9 games in conference. Tessitore argued about losing some of the older rivalries and Pollack talked about having some of the newer rivalries and the "old guys" (Tessitore) getting with the program so to speak. Pollack expressing that LSU vs Alabama is on of the best rivalries today. Tessitore didn't seem to like the "old guy" comments much. Got a little tense on stage with the two as Brock H and another guy sitting on stage just being quite noticing the tension. Getting close to some football! :bananadance:

SEC meida days: Joe Tessitore and David Pollack get into it a little talking about the SEC going to 9 games in conference. Tessitore argued about losing some of the older rivalries and Pollack talked about having some of the newer rivalries and the "old guys" (Tessitore) getting with the program so to speak. Pollack expressing that LSU vs Alabama is on of the best rivalries today. Tessitore didn't seem to like the "old guy" comments much. Got a little tense on stage with the two as Brock H and another guy sitting on stage just being quite noticing the tension. Getting close to some football! :bananadance:/>

Also loved how Mark Richt shot down the reporters question about bama's so called dominance by saying they were very fortunate from other teams failing to win on the last week of the season! Also gave Tuberville credit for 04' season for going undefeated and being left out of championship game was not fair!! Kudos to Mr. Richt for those comments, and setting that reporter and bams straight about their so called dominance!!

SEC meida days: Joe Tessitore and David Pollack get into it a little talking about the SEC going to 9 games in conference. Tessitore argued about losing some of the older rivalries and Pollack talked about having some of the newer rivalries and the "old guys" (Tessitore) getting with the program so to speak. Pollack expressing that LSU vs Alabama is on of the best rivalries today. Tessitore didn't seem to like the "old guy" comments much. Got a little tense on stage with the two as Brock H and another guy sitting on stage just being quite noticing the tension. Getting close to some football! :bananadance:/>

Also loved how Mark Richt shot down the reporters question about bama's so called dominance by saying they were very fortunate from other teams failing to win on the last week of the season! Also gave Tuberville credit for 04' season for going undefeated and being left out of championship game was not fair!! Kudos to Mr. Richt for those comments, and setting that reporter and bams straight about their so called dominance!!

Yea...it's been an interesting day from what i've seen thus far. I turned when they started the Bama love affair.

I'd love it if one of those "reporters" had the guts to ask one of the uat players where they got their suit.

Just finished watching NBC Channel 12 out of Montgomery AL. Watched last night also and came to the conclusion it must be owned by a Bama grad. Last night Johnny football got more coverage than Auburn. Tonight it was all Alabama. Put the timer on it and out of a 5 minute sport cast Alabama got just under 3 minutes of the midget talking. They say at 10:00 pm they will talk to McCaron. Is there any station in Alabama that covers sports without a Bama slant? The only Auburn mention was about the Basketball player getting kicked off the team.

• 4 months later...

I couldn't find a reference to Saban's presser, but he was asked about being voted to win the SEC Western Division. His answer was to the effect that previous predictions were 5 for 17 , and if that was his coaching record he'd be pumping gas back in West Virginia. Well, lil' Nicky, the predictions were wrong again!! HeHeHe.

Archived