lets say nick gets the starting nod at qb

aubiefifty

Yada yada yada - you just keep on ranting OK!!! If NM is playing QB this fall - fine with me. If KF is playing QB this fall - fine with me. I am sure Gus will give them all a fair chance. The position will be decided on the practice field - not in your mind or this message board. I also think that if KF is playing QB - that NM might be on the field playing another position. That is my opinion - you believe otherwise. That is OK with me. I just merely agreed with the poster above that KF would not be going away quietly. Also, I agreed with the above poster - that everyone seems to give the whole team a pass for last season.....everyone except for Kiehl. He has taken an unfair amount of unfair criticism. Carry on...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yada yada yada - you just keep on ranting OK!!! If NM is playing QB this fall - fine with me. If KF is playing QB this fall - fine with me. I am sure Gus will give them all a fair chance. The position will be decided on the practice field - not in your mind or this message board. I also think that if KF is playing QB - that NM might be on the field playing another position. That is my opinion - you believe otherwise. That is OK with me. I just merely agreed with the poster above that KF would not be going away quietly. Also, I agreed with the above poster - that everyone seems to give the whole team a pass for last season.....everyone except for Kiehl. He has taken an unfair amount of unfair criticism. Carry on...

WDE!!

IF (notice the "if") NM gets the nod at QB, I think that our offense revolves around the read-option and is ~70% run. I think that we run the ball like Oregon does, having the QB be a skill position player who is mostly in the game to run, but does have the ability to pass (but it is not the strongest part of his game).

My dad always quoted an old Steeler's coach who said "There are 3 things that can happen when the ball is in the air, and 2 of them are bad."

Those saying that NM would move to another position if KF starts, aren't thinking this through imho. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that KF were to beat out NM. Do you really want to put your "2nd best" option at QB at another position and risk an injury ? Uh no, the starting QB could be injured at any time.

Those saying that NM would move to another position if KF starts, aren't thinking this through imho. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that KF were to beat out NM. Do you really want to put your 2nd best option at QB at another position and risk an injury ? Uh no, the starting QB could be injured at any time.

Do you leave your 2nd best corner off the field just because he also happens to be good at QB? I think NM starts at QB, just saying.

Those saying that NM would move to another position if KF starts, aren't thinking this through imho. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that KF were to beat out NM. Do you really want to put your 2nd best option at QB at another position and risk an injury ? Uh no, the starting QB could be injured at any time.

Do you leave your 2nd best corner off the field just because he also happens to be good at QB? I think NM starts at QB, just saying.

I think the odds are that he does too.

LOL, we'll see who gets it when Gus announces his starter. JG never has had much opportunity and certainly did not start for 4 or 5 games but for the sake of comparison I have NOT heard Gus or Rhett or anyone else for that matter speak in the same glowing terms about the performances @ QB as EJ has spoken about JG. We'll see. The fact is, Im not down on anyone but simply cannot discount what I saw out of that position last year. I understand its a new day and all that but as it relates to becoming a believer in those guys...seeing is believing.

TBV, no offense, but in that respect you are being a bit of stick in the mud. The ENTIRE offense last season was a shambles, and you can look at the stats that prove it. KF played pretty well during the Clemson game, and it has been KNOWN that CGC took control of CSL's offense sometime during that game. KF was not the only one who underperformed, yet many people on this board seem to forget that. KF has already proved that he is working hard this summer through his dedicaiton to work in the weight room (go back and look at the picture they took, KF looks absolutely ripped).

Yes, CGM said that NM was recruited to play QB. He also said that KF was "the best QB in college football" when he signed. The fact of the matter is that these guys are all starting on a level playing field- nobody has an advantage over anyone else at this point BECAUSE FALL CAMP HASN'T STARTED YET. Why are people on this board obsessed with saying stuff like "NM will be the starter. Book it." when he hasn't even practiced once with the team??

"Best QB in college football" when he signed him? I dont think he said that about a HS kid. QB is definitely the most important position especially for Auburn this year given the 3 - 9 record of a year ago, so yeah, there's going to be a lot of discussion about it. I have never stated publicly nor privately who I think the starter will be so I don't know how you can accuse me of being obsessed with NM but I will go on record and say that Auburn will need dramatic improvement in QB play in order to win 7 games. Its a team game and yes the QB usually gets to much credit and also too much blame.... it is what it is.

"Best QB in college football" when he signed him? I dont think he said that about a HS kid. QB is definitely the most important position especially for Auburn this year given the 3 - 9 record of a year ago, so yeah, there's going to be a lot of discussion about it. I have never stated publicly nor privately who I think the starter will be so I don't know how you can accuse me of being obsessed with NM but I will go on record and say that Auburn will need dramatic improvement in QB play in order to win 7 games. Its a team game and yes the QB usually gets to much credit and also too much blame.... it is what it is.

@ 0:12, Gus says to whoever he is talking to on the phone (I'm assuming Chizik) "I'm just telling you, we just got the best quarterback in the country."

While you have not stated who you think will be the starter, you seem to have no problem expressing your disapproval of KF with statements such as " simply cannot discount what I saw out of that position last year". My only point was that people on this board seem to blame all of the offenses problems on KF, which is not fair to him. The entire offense was bad last year, not just KF.

The NM statement was not directed at you, more towards others on this board who are naming a starter before he practices with the team (many named him the starter before he was even on campus).

@ 0:12, Gus says to whoever he is talking to on the phone (I'm assuming Chizik) "I'm just telling you, we just got the best quarterback in the country."

While you have not stated who you think will be the starter, you seem to have no problem expressing your disapproval of KF with statements such as " simply cannot discount what I saw out of that position last year". My only point was that people on this board seem to blame all of the offenses problems on KF, which is not fair to him. The entire offense was bad last year, not just KF.

The NM statement was not directed at you, more towards others on this board who are naming a starter before he practices with the team (many named him the starter before he was even on campus).

The quotes are entirely different. You claimed he said the "best QB in college football"...he didn't - next!

Gus was talking to Kiehl when he said that...FWIW That was after Kiehl faxed in his LOI.

KF had not spent a single day on campus and he was already the best QB in college football? I dont think so.

Gus was talking to Kiehl when he said that...FWIW That was after Kiehl faxed in his LOI.

KF had not spent a single day on campus and he was already the best QB in college football? I dont think so.

I merely stated who Gus was talking to on the phone when he said that...nothing more. Why do you always find somehting negative to say? They all are going to be wearing Orange and Blue this fall.

Pretty sure he meant the best high school QB in the country. For me at least, I take the terrible offense into account when I make my personal evaluation of what we saw out of KF last year. I don't blame him for things like dropped passes and bad play calls. Not being an expert, it's hard for me to even say how many of his passes were inaccurate, for all I know the receiver ran the wrong route. What bothered me the most was his decision making and pocket presence. Those are things that only he has control of, and I found them to be lacking personally. JW did a much better job in those categories IMO.

I merely stated who Gus was talking to on the phone when he said that...nothing more. Why do you always find somehting negative to say? They all are going to be wearing Orange and Blue this fall.

I wasn't being negative i was essentially agreeing with what you implied. He was excited and probably had KF on the phone with Chiz and expressed his excitement but he didn't say he was the best QB in college football. That's not negative.

IF (notice the "if") NM gets the nod at QB, I think that our offense revolves around the read-option and is ~70% run. I think that we run the ball like Oregon does, having the QB be a skill position player who is mostly in the game to run, but does have the ability to pass (but it is not the strongest part of his game).

My dad always quoted an old Steeler's coach who said "There are 3 things that can happen when the ball is in the air, and 2 of them are bad."

2016 just FYI, it was actually Darrell Royal, head coach of Texas that coined that phrase. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/darrell_royal_2.html. I don't know how old your dad is but I am pretty sure I am correct on this.

Ok i only skimmed thru this thread. I keep seeing people say "i never want to see another speed sweep or reverse or wrap around draw". These plays DO WORK you just cant build an entire offense on them. If you have push on the line these plays keep the backers and safeties back. The plays are part of the whole picture. Gus doesn't run these plays just to trick the d and score. They can be credited for inside counters that go for 20 yards or buck sweeps that have the safety leaning the other way at the snap. I dont tell gus what to run but i usually understand his why and when. Just relax and trust this guy. He has it under control.

Pretty sure he meant the best high school QB in the country. For me at least, I take the terrible offense into account when I make my personal evaluation of what we saw out of KF last year. I don't blame him for things like dropped passes and bad play calls. Not being an expert, it's hard for me to even say how many of his passes were inaccurate, for all I know the receiver ran the wrong route. What bothered me the most was his decision making and pocket presence. Those are things that only he has control of, and I found them to be lacking personally. JW did a much better job in those categories IMO.

I agree but KF started 4 games ..LSU..Clemson..Arky..miss state? JW best performances were against the cream puffs...against UGA and UA he looked just as puzzled and confused as KF...the kids had no coaching or offensive direction at all. And please lets not forget how bad Clint played as well.....the bad QB play had a lot to do with the bad coaching...

2016 just FYI, it was actually Darrell Royal, head coach of Texas that coined that phrase. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/darrell_royal_2.html. I don't know how old your dad is but I am pretty sure I am correct on this.

I'll have to let him know that! (I'm a Colts fan btw, so I like any opportunity to hate on his beloved steelers. All in good fun of course).

Ok i only skimmed thru this thread. I keep seeing people say "i never want to see another speed sweep or reverse or wrap around draw". These plays DO WORK you just cant build an entire offense on them. If you have push on the line these plays keep the backers and safeties back. The plays are part of the whole picture. Gus doesn't run these plays just to trick the d and score. They can be credited for inside counters that go for 20 yards or buck sweeps that have the safety leaning the other way at the snap. I dont tell gus what to run but i usually understand his why and when. Just relax and trust this guy. He has it under control.

Probably would help folks if they understood Gus's offense. The QB is reading the defense, they are the ones that dictate the play. If they come inside then the play goes outside. The jet sweep is just an option of the play. Does it always work ? No, Just so you get the facts right though, OMAC broke into the top 10 all time RBs at Auburn ( RB U) running mostly Jet sweeps. JMHO.

Probably would help folks if they understood Gus's offense. The QB is reading the defense, they are the ones that dictate the play. If they come inside then the play goes outside. The jet sweep is just an option of the play. Does it always work ? No, Just so you get the facts right though, OMAC broke into the top 10 all time RBs at Auburn ( RB U) running mostly Jet sweeps. JMHO.

without gus' system omac is a ST player only.

without gus' system omac is a ST player only.

I guess that is why the pro team is paying him now. A lot of ST players make the pro's. Sarcastic>

Archived