lets say nick gets the starting nod at qb

aubiefifty

If one is judging a unit by actual production as opposed to attempting to equate a unit that finished 1st in the SEC in basically every major statistically category other than PYds/G to a unit that finished in the bottom 5 in the SEC in every major statistically category other than rush defense, then no. Then again it is amazing how much better of a coordinator Roof is at Penn St, isn't it?

I understand your point, but any offense with Cam Newton was going to be one of the top in the country. Not to mention, that wasn't really Malzahn's offense just like 2011 wasn't. 2009 was the unbridled Malzahn offense in the SEC. The number of plays per game for AU that year vs. Arkansas State in 2012 is very comparable 70.3 plays/game in 2009 to 73.1 plays/game in 2012.

That year the offense got off to a great start, partially due to the element of surprise and the lower level of competition, but struggled down the stretch.

1. It is such a weak argument to say that "any offense Cam led would have been...". First, there is absolutely no way to prove it. Second, it totally discounts coaching and playcalling. By the same token one could say that Saban isn't that great of a coach because "any one could win when you have 3-4 1st round picks on your roster every year". Great systems require great players to win big. If you think 2010 was simply a function of Cam then you are ignoring the success CGM has had with QB's of far lesser talent. In 2009 AU went 8-5 and averaged over 32 ppg with a mediocre talent at QB so it stands to reason that CGM's offense would be even more explosive with a QB of Cams talent.

2. 2010 wasn't really CGM's offense??? Here are the list of QB's CGM has recruited: CJ Mosely, Tyrik Rollison, Cam Newton, Zeke Pike, Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall. What do these QB's, except Mosely, have in common? They are all dual threats. So its rather obvious that CGM prefers a QB who can threaten the defense with his legs but like any good coach he has tailored his offense to the strengths of his QB's. But given the choice its obvious that CGM's offense would tend to resemble 2010 than 2009. As a matter of fact Cam was the only QB that started an entire season for CGM that was actually recruited by CGM. All the others were inherited.

3. The 2010 offense averaged averaged 69.9 plays/g versus 2009 72.1. Not that big of a difference especially when you consider that 2010 was much more explosive than 2009. Also, over the final 3 games of 2010 the offense averaged 74 plays/g whereas the 2009 offense averaged only 68.3.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like seeing rotating QBs no matter what the situation. I do not like having a "wildcat" QB at all. When Gus started all this wildcat years ago it was a way to get the ball into Darrin McFaddens hands with an extra blocker in the game (for the QB). Great idea at the time but a strategy that is not as good anymore imho. If we do use that I hope it is very situational and not just thrown in during normal drives.

If you have a QB that can run the normal stuff AND the wild cat it really puts the defense at a huge disadvantage. Cam was very good at running both packages.

I think NM can do the same, he's a little small so I wonder how we will handle 3rd and short with him?

I don't like seeing rotating QBs no matter what the situation. I do not like having a "wildcat" QB at all. When Gus started all this wildcat years ago it was a way to get the ball into Darrin McFaddens hands with an extra blocker in the game (for the QB). Great idea at the time but a strategy that is not as good anymore imho. If we do use that I hope it is very situational and not just thrown in during normal drives.

Here - here!! No more carousel QB's. Pick your horse and run it with him Gus!

I think NM can do the same, he's a little small so I wonder how we will handle 3rd and short with him?

I don't know for sure but I would imagine we will see a lot of runs behind G Rob with Prosch leading the way for the Payne Train.

I don't know for sure but I would imagine we will see a lot of runs behind G Rob with Prosch leading the way for the Payne Train.

Agree. I don't think we'll see the wildcat being run for short yardage as we have in the past, because why would you when you can just run behind Prosch. Then again....... if your QB is just handing the ball off, then why not have TWO HB's to block for CAP instead? Three man backfield, Procsh, Barber, CAP - CAPCat

Keesler, not sure how much of the QB swapping was Gus or Chizik.

Chizik didn't swap 'em out to and fro last season. He just left 'em in there and let 'em flounder around and run for their life.

A lot of "issues" land on Gene's shoulders. I just have a hard time blaming Gene for the '11 turnstile QB substitutions and specific offensive playcalls that amounted to diddly squat. He may have slowed down the Gus Bus that season, but much of that offense just didn't work, regardless of the speed of the HUNH/fast-paced plan that Gus wanted to run. The jet-sweeps, triple reverses, WR screens, wrap around draws, etc didn't work at any speed that season.

I hope we get lucky and one of our QB's will step up and those plays will take the defenses of UGA/UAT/LSU/aTm by surprise and we can puts tons of points on the board.

Agree. I just hope that Gus has learned his lesson from that and we don't see it again but that's my concern with him as well.

So, just so I understand this thread, we're all happy to have CGM back at Auburn, but we want to tell him how to run his offense? I seem to remember someone else who did that a few years ago..... :-\

Who stated that? So just b/c he's our HC i'm suppose to like EVERYTHING he does? Good grief. Fact is those plays were not working and we became less and less effective. So i guess now people want to say Chiz was calling all the plays for Gus too? Please...fine if some of you want to place a halo over Gus's head and not question or raise any concerns but I'm not ready to classify him as some offensive God just yet. I like what he has done thus far and what he could possibly do but it doesn't mean we can't question him.

I have faith that he can help us achieve really good things and that's my hope but I'm just not going to pretend that i don't have any type of concern b/c there was some before he left. Can't simply just ignore the fact that there were some rumblings and unhappiness with Gus for the things keesler mentioned. I just stated that i hope he learned from that and will be better prepared and experienced to know what works and what doesn't this time around so the offense doesn't go through something similar to 2011....that's all.

'83 I know I've disagreed a lot with you on the boards, but I actually agree with you on most things :big:

But I'm not going to argue with an offense that set records the two years it was alowed to run at AU. And for that matter set records at every place GM has coached at. You can argue that certain plays don't work, blah blah. Well no play is 100% affective 100% of the time. Screens and draws can blow up in the back field, but so can a hand off from a QB under center. But he's not going to change what he believes in.

From page one of the 2010 play book;

WHO WE ARE:

Two back run/play-action team that will keep constant pressure on the defense & defensive coaches by:

• Running at a 2-minute pace the entire game
  • Balanced attack (take what the defense gives us)
  • Having misdirection in the running and passing game
  • Stretch the field vertically and horizontally
  • Throw the book at them (special/unusual formations, fire alarms and wildcats)
  • Present the option three different ways (zone, speed, power G)

Ha ha. It's all good gAUlf...i never take anything personal. If everyone had the same opinions all the time it would be very dull on these boards. lol. :wareagle:

Keesler, not sure how much of the QB swapping was Gus or Chizik.

Chizik didn't swap 'em out to and fro last season. He just left 'em in there and let 'em flounder around and run for their life.

A lot of "issues" land on Gene's shoulders. I just have a hard time blaming Gene for the '11 turnstile QB substitutions and specific offensive playcalls that amounted to diddly squat. He may have slowed down the Gus Bus that season, but much of that offense just didn't work, regardless of the speed of the HUNH/fast-paced plan that Gus wanted to run. The jet-sweeps, triple reverses, WR screens, wrap around draws, etc didn't work at any speed that season.

I hope we get lucky and one of our QB's will step up and those plays will take the defenses of UGA/UAT/LSU/aTm by surprise and we can puts tons of points on the board.

Agree. I just hope that Gus has learned his lesson from that and we don't see it again but that's my concern with him as well.

So, just so I understand this thread, we're all happy to have CGM back at Auburn, but we want to tell him how to run his offense? I seem to remember someone else who did that a few years ago..... :-\

Who stated that? So just b/c he's our HC i'm suppose to like EVERYTHING he does? Good grief. Fact is those plays were not working and we became less and less effective. So i guess now people want to say Chiz was calling all the plays for Gus too? Please...fine if some of you want to place a halo over Gus's head and not question or raise any concerns but I'm not ready to classify him as some offensive God just yet. I like what he has done thus far and what he could possibly do but it doesn't mean we can't question him.

I have faith that he can help us achieve really good things and that's my hope but I'm just not going to pretend that i don't have any type of concern b/c there was some before he left. Can't simply just ignore the fact that there were some rumblings and unhappiness with Gus for the things keesler mentioned. I just stated that i hope he learned from that and will be better prepared and experienced to know what works and what doesn't this time around so the offense doesn't go through something similar to 2011....that's all.

'83 I know I've disagreed a lot with you on the boards, but I actually agree with you on most things :big:

But I'm not going to argue with an offense that set records the two years it was alowed to run at AU. And for that matter set records at every place GM has coached at. You can argue that certain plays don't work, blah blah. Well no play is 100% affective 100% of the time. Screens and draws can blow up in the back field, but so can a hand off from a QB under center. But he's not going to change what he believes in.

From page one of the 2010 play book;

WHO WE ARE:

Two back run/play-action team that will keep constant pressure on the defense & defensive coaches by:

• Running at a 2-minute pace the entire game
  • Balanced attack (take what the defense gives us)
  • Having misdirection in the running and passing game
  • Stretch the field vertically and horizontally
  • Throw the book at them (special/unusual formations, fire alarms and wildcats)
  • Present the option three different ways (zone, speed, power G)

I don't expect him to change what he believes in but those plays are risker than a simple handoff. I rather get a 1 or 2 yard gain (Our RBs can do that just falling forward) handing it off then losing chunks of yards and killing a drive not giving us a chance. That's what i witness several times in 11'. As i stated if it's not working game after game..it's time to make some sort of adjustments to allow them to be more effective. I didn't see much of that before...my hope is that with experience this time around will be different if that does happen. That's all.

I think folks may be surprised how little Gus uses the wildcat this year after the first couple games, not because it will be ineffective but mainly because our short yardage backfield running game in the red zone may be very, very good. I can see the wildcat making a reappearance later in the season when nobody's been preparing for it because we didn't use it much during the season.

I think that's where we can effectively use the wildcat if we do use it..in the redzone on short yardage. Use CAP and let him follow Prosch. If teams can stop that then kuddos but who the heck wants to deal with those two down in the red zone? No need to let the QB give it to CAP...let him catch it and go. Scary!

I don't expect him to change what he believes in but those plays are risker than a simple handoff. I rather get a 1 or 2 yard gain (Our RBs can do that just falling forward) handing it off then losing chunks of yards and killing a drive not giving us a chance. That's what i witness several times in 11'. As i stated if it's not working game after game..it's time to make some sort of adjustments to allow them to be more effective. I didn't see much of that before...my hope is that with experience this time around will be different if that does happen. That's all.

One problem with this theory is that the end-arounds, bubble screens, etc. open up other aspects of the offense like a dive play or a draw. Yes, maybe they do lose yards a few times, but they also force the defense to look for it and might cause them to bite on it.

One problem with this theory is that the end-arounds, bubble screens, etc. open up other aspects of the offense like a dive play or a draw. Yes, maybe they do lose yards a few times, but they also force the defense to look for it and might cause them to bite on it.

Look...once again for like the third time i UNDERSTAND what those plays do! Geesh. lol. I get it's a part of his system but so is power running. We were running those plays quite a few times during a game. Common sense if something in your playbook is clearly not working....why not go to something else and/or run those plays that are not working less often. Nobody is saying he should take them out of the playbook. Just understand the situation and make adjustments as needed. It doesn't make sense to run a play just b/c it's in your playbook...esp. if it's not working a particular game. You go to something that is or will work. I have faith that they will be more effecient this time aroung but that's TBD but if they don't let's try something else or use them less so we're not working behind the chains.

I think folks may be surprised how little Gus uses the wildcat this year after the first couple games, not because it will be ineffective but mainly because our short yardage backfield running game in the red zone may be very, very good. I can see the wildcat making a reappearance later in the season when nobody's been preparing for it because we didn't use it much during the season.

I think that's where we can effectively use the wildcat if we do use it..in the redzone on short yardage. Use CAP and let him follow Prosch. If teams can stop that then kuddos but who the heck wants to deal with those two down in the red zone? No need to let the QB give it to CAP...let him catch it and go. Scary!

This is my preferred goal line formation. The play will be a power run on the left side between Robinson and Kozan. I call this the Wildcat "Tank" formation. ;D

..........HB....................................HB

Jordan Diamond................Shon Coleman

............................Wildcat

.........................Jay Prosch

This is my preferred goal line formation. The play will be a power run on the left side between Robinson and Kozan. I call this the Wildcat "Tank" formation. ;D

..........HB....................................HB

Jordan Diamond................Shon Coleman

............................Wildcat

.........................Jay Prosch

Ha. That could work too! Good luck to the defense that's going to be defending those guys down in the Red Zone. Adding in NM is just another deminsion to deal with. I expect our Red Zone percentage to be very high. If we get down there...i'm confident we'll get some points.

Four basic reasons to run the wildcat

1. You have a trick play in mind (Wildcat to QB as in Kodi to Cam is a good example)

2. You're QB needs a break.

3. You are breaking in a rookie QB (where is it used most of the times).

4. You have a speedster or a bulldozier and want to get the ball directly into his hands through direct snaps.

1. You have a trick play in mind (Wildcat to QB as in Kodi to Cam is a good example)

4. You have a speedster or a bulldozier and want to get the ball directly into his hands through direct snaps.

exactly

Now I could see Marshall coming in as the WC QB if Frazier or Wallace were the starting QB. That would make more sense.

Very good answer. And this is probaly the closest to reality. I think KF starts with JW as his backup, NM will be used as a WCQB and will some times move from the WCQB to slot receiver. NM is very athletic and can be used in a lot of ways. A I said on the other thread, I could see all 4 QBs see playing time. Remeber Gus did not Redshirt KF either. Baring an injury you are probabvly not going to get more than 4 years out of aquality player these days. If you redshirt a quality player today and he does not make starter ( or significent playing time) his second or third year then the player will most likely transfer to play elsewhere. That is why you are seeing less redshirting of quality players.

Remember a few other things that the WC is used for:

1. Coach sends in a play without using the normal system (cards).

2. The WC also upsets the flow of play and makes the defense reposition.

3. It gets your starting QB to the sideline so coaches can discuss what that QB is seeing on the field so the coaches can adjust.

4. The starting QB also gets to see what the defense is doing, because when he is running the play he can't watch the defense react to everything.

5. Starting QB returns to the field with another play not called through regular means.

Food for thought.

Now I could see Marshall coming in as the WC QB if Frazier or Wallace were the starting QB. That would make more sense.

Very good answer. And this is probaly the closest to reality. I think KF starts with JW as his backup, NM will be used as a WCQB and will some times move from the WCQB to slot receiver. NM is very athletic and can be used in a lot of ways. A I said on the other thread, I could see all 4 QBs see playing time. Remeber Gus did not Redshirt KF either. Baring an injury you are probabvly not going to get more than 4 years out of aquality player these days. If you redshirt a quality player today and he does not make starter ( or significent playing time) his second or third year then the player will most likely transfer to play elsewhere. That is why you are seeing less redshirting of quality players.

NM is playing qb! Not wc, wr, db, just QB!!

Are you the coach???? Are you getting paid to make those decisions???????? No one knows for sure - just saying. I don't know and neither does anyone else at this point....NM may play another position - you don't know...we will know when Gus says so - not before and it surely will not be decided on this message board.

War Eagle!!

Jeannie

Are you the coach???? Are you getting paid to make those decisions???????? No one knows for sure - just saying. I don't know and neither does anyone else at this point....NM may play another position - you don't know...we will know when Gus says so - not before and it surely will not be decided on this message board.

War Eagle!!

Jeannie

As you can clearly see by my title Weegle I am a "Professor" of Auburn football and I too foresee NM as starting QB.

Im sorry but I dont have a whole lot of confidence in the QB play I saw last year. I dont have alot of confidence in the o line either. I figure Gus might have seen something in NM that can make something outta nothing.

As you can clearly see by my title Weegle I am a "Professor" of Auburn football and I too foresee NM as starting QB.

Im sorry but I dont have a whole lot of confidence in the QB play I saw last year. I dont have alot of confidence in the o line either. I figure Gus might have seen something in NM that can make something outta nothing.

So Kiehl runs Gus's offense to near perfection for 4+ years while being recruited by Gus, earns a 5 star rating, chooses AU, is used as a WCQB for 1 year and had a bad stretch where he was benched in an offense that was #115 in the nation, and nobody has faith in the kid anymore? Honestly, I hope he uses that as a chip on his shoulder in the weight room this summer.

Justin Garrett didn't do a whole lot last year, and y'all aren't on his case 24/7! Same goes for many other players!

It's a New Day- the coaches aren't worried about what happened last year so long as it doesn't transfer over to this year. IMO we should do the same.

So Kiehl runs Gus's offense to near perfection for 4+ years while being recruited by Gus, earns a 5 star rating, chooses AU, is used as a WCQB for 1 year and had a bad stretch where he was benched in an offense that was #115 in the nation, and nobody has faith in the kid anymore? Honestly, I hope he uses that as a chip on his shoulder in the weight room this summer.

Justin Garrett didn't do a whole lot last year, and y'all aren't on his case 24/7! Same goes for many other players!

It's a New Day- the coaches aren't worried about what happened last year so long as it doesn't transfer over to this year. IMO we should do the same.

Someone finally "gets it"!!!!!!!! And yes, I am pretty sure that Kiehl is working very hard this summer...

Someone finally "gets it"!!!!!!!! And yes, I am pretty sure that Kiehl is working very hard this summer...

LOL, we'll see who gets it when Gus announces his starter. JG never has had much opportunity and certainly did not start for 4 or 5 games but for the sake of comparison I have NOT heard Gus or Rhett or anyone else for that matter speak in the same glowing terms about the performances @ QB as EJ has spoken about JG. We'll see. The fact is, Im not down on anyone but simply cannot discount what I saw out of that position last year. I understand its a new day and all that but as it relates to becoming a believer in those guys...seeing is believing.

LOL, we'll see who gets it when Gus announces his starter. JG never has had much opportunity and certainly did not start for 4 or 5 games but for the sake of comparison I have NOT heard Gus or Rhett or anyone else for that matter speak in the same glowing terms about the performances @ QB as EJ has spoken about JG. We'll see. The fact is, Im not down on anyone but simply cannot discount what I saw out of that position last year. I understand its a new day and all that but as it relates to becoming a believer in those guys...seeing is believing.

TBV, no offense, but in that respect you are being a bit of stick in the mud. The ENTIRE offense last season was a shambles, and you can look at the stats that prove it. KF played pretty well during the Clemson game, and it has been KNOWN that CGC took control of CSL's offense sometime during that game. KF was not the only one who underperformed, yet many people on this board seem to forget that. KF has already proved that he is working hard this summer through his dedicaiton to work in the weight room (go back and look at the picture they took, KF looks absolutely ripped).

Yes, CGM said that NM was recruited to play QB. He also said that KF was "the best QB in college football" when he signed. The fact of the matter is that these guys are all starting on a level playing field- nobody has an advantage over anyone else at this point BECAUSE FALL CAMP HASN'T STARTED YET. Why are people on this board obsessed with saying stuff like "NM will be the starter. Book it." when he hasn't even practiced once with the team??

War Eagle!!

Jeannie

No, I'm not the Coach and neither is u!! It seems very obvious who u want as qb, when someone discredits the "chosen one" u get a wild hair up ur tail about it!! Everyone saw the qb play last yr and was not the least bit impressed this spring either! For someone coming out of hs as a 5star qb like kf, jw was not impressed because he looked more of a qb as a freshman than the chosen one!! U light up like a christmas tree when someone mentions kf as the starter of this team and just automatically assume nm will be playing another position! No Im not the coach, but I did hear the "Coach"Emphatically say NM is playing qb!! I really dont understand all this fantasy about nm playing another position! Maybe if u ask nm politely to think about playing another position so the "chosen one" can be the starting qb he might listen. But there's one problem with that, ur gonna have to convince jw and jj to do the same thing as well and that most definantly is not gonna happen!! WDE

Archived