lets say nick gets the starting nod at qb

aubiefifty

will frazier run the wildcat like in the past? i hear they looking at q bray to do it. or what about wallace? i would think part of the fun of playing for gus is he tries to get as many players as possible in the game.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will frazier run the wildcat like in the past? i hear they looking at q bray to do it. or what about wallace? i would think part of the fun of playing for gus is he tries to get as many players as possible in the game.

Burns role as the WC QB dwindled as the 2010 season progressed. It was kind of pointless to take out the best running threat at QB for a lesser one then and that would be the case if Frazier or Wallace came in for a more dynamic runner in Marshall.

Now I could see Marshall coming in as the WC QB if Frazier or Wallace were the starting QB. That would make more sense.

Burns role as the WC QB dwindled as the 2010 season progressed. It was kind of pointless to take out the best running threat at QB for a lesser one then and that would be the case if Frazier or Wallace came in for a more dynamic runner in Marshall.

This. One of the biggest threats of the Wildcat is that it is used as a running formation so often that when you run play action out of it (see Cam running the QB draw play action pass to D. Adams in the Iron Bowl 2010) you can usually get a CB to bite, leaving WRs wide open. If your QB is your best back, leave 'em back there and let 'em run the offense.

Agree. I don't want to see rotating QBs. Leave the starter in unless he's horrible or gets hurt. It messes up the QBs rhythm. If we don't have WRs or RBs that can't run the wildcat then we need to find someone who can or don't run it!

I could also see the opportunity for a shift to happen and Bray moves to QB with Marshall out wide, if such a shift is allowed... He's easily fast enough to be a receiver.

I could also see the opportunity for a shift to happen and Bray moves to QB with Marshall out wide, if such a shift is allowed... He's easily fast enough to be a receiver.

I don't mind that. I just don't care to see another QB coming in just to run the wildcat regardless of whoever is starting. Put Bray or CJ or whoever in the wildcat and shift whoever the starting QB is out wide.

I don't mind that. I just don't care to see another QB coming in just to run the wildcat regardless of whoever is starting. Put Bray or CJ or whoever in the wildcat and shift whoever the starting QB is out wide.

I agree completely. If you have to sub someone in to run it then it's a waste of time imo. I'm not really a fan of the wildcat in general though. I would rather just have a running QB and have the defense guessing all the time.

I agree completely. If you have to sub someone in to run it then it's a waste of time imo. I'm not really a fan of the wildcat in general though. I would rather just have a running QB and have the defense guessing all the time.

+1

I agree with basically everybody. If NM is starting, there would be no need to sub while in the wildcat formation. It would be kinda pointless.

DyerCat, ReedCat, or any other form of Cat will not work against the good defenses in the league unless it is run by the starting quarterback. Unfortunately, it is a staple of Malzahn's offense, and we saw it at A-Day, so expect to see more of it this year. Even if Nick Marshall wins the starting job, I think he is too skinny to risk calling designed run plays for him between the tackles (though Manziel somehow survived last year in this conference).

DyerCat, ReedCat, or any other form of Cat will not work against the good defenses in the league unless it is run by the starting quarterback. Unfortunately, it is a staple of Malzahn's offense, and we saw it at A-Day, so expect to see more of it this year. Even if Nick Marshall wins the starting job, I think he is too skinny to risk calling designed run plays for him between the tackles (though Manziel somehow survived last year in this conference).

Really? So it's good enough to be run in the NFL but not the SEC. Well off the top of my head here's a group of players who have proven that totally wrong.....Tebow's freshman year, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, Syvelle Newton, Dexter McCluster, Mark Ingram, Marquis Maze

Really? So it's good enough to be run in the NFL but not the SEC. Well off the top of my head here's a group of players who have proven that totally wrong.....Tebow's freshman year, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, Syvelle Newton, Dexter McCluster, Mark Ingram, Marquis Maze

Don't forget about Ronnie Brown with Miami.

It was very effective for a while, but like all fads its use has diminished over the last two years. Specifically with this team, I don't really see the utility of lining up Trovon Reed behind this offensive line and telling the opposing team that we are running right at em.

WILDCAT QB

THIS x10000000000

If your starting QB is a mobile QB, what is the @&$/,/)"& point of a wildcat QB??????

Don't forget about Ronnie Brown with Miami.

It was very effective for a while, but like all fads its use has diminished over the last two years. Specifically with this team, I don't really see the utility of lining up Trovon Reed behind this offensive line and telling the opposing team that we are running right at em.

I was just giving you SEC examples. You could take up a whole page discussing teams in every level of football that has ran it with success. And it's not so much that it's faded over the past 2 years, just more teams (specifically the NFL) are using mobile QB's to run the read option. 5 years ago it was unfathomable for a team to diliberately run their QB 10-15 times a game like a RB.

WILDCAT QB

THIS x10000000000

If your starting QB is a mobile QB, what is the @&$/,/)"& point of a wildcat QB??????

Non unless your QB isn't built to get hit like a running back 10+ times a game. I can actually see Grant and Mason being very effective running the wildcat.

Agree. I don't want to see rotating QBs. Leave the starter in unless he's horrible or gets hurt. It messes up the QBs rhythm. If we don't have WRs or RBs that can't run the wildcat then we need to find someone who can or don't run it!

This was one of many frustrations I had with Gus's offense in the 2011 season. He wouldn't let one QB run a complete series - the oline looked confused - the QB's were shuffled in and out like a damn turnstile - penalties piled up. It just didn't work changing out QBs after every snap.

I hope to see one QB get a rhythm and Gus use him as long as he's managing the offense and moving the ball down the field.

There is an old saying if you have two QB's then you don't have a QB.

Keesler, not sure how much of the QB swapping was Gus or Chizik.

Chizik didn't swap 'em out to and fro last season. He just left 'em in there and let 'em flounder around and run for their life.

A lot of "issues" land on Gene's shoulders. I just have a hard time blaming Gene for the '11 turnstile QB substitutions and specific offensive playcalls that amounted to diddly squat. He may have slowed down the Gus Bus that season, but much of that offense just didn't work, regardless of the speed of the HUNH/fast-paced plan that Gus wanted to run. The jet-sweeps, triple reverses, WR screens, wrap around draws, etc didn't work at any speed that season.

I hope we get lucky and one of our QB's will step up and those plays will take the defenses of UGA/UAT/LSU/aTm by surprise and we can puts tons of points on the board.

Kodi Burns was a real Auburn man who was willing to do anything he could to help his team win. If Keihl Frazier is an Auburn man "and I think he is", then he too will play anywhere on the field just as long as he can help his win and win big.

Chizik didn't swap 'em out to and fro last season. He just left 'em in there and let 'em flounder around and run for their life.

A lot of "issues" land on Gene's shoulders. I just have a hard time blaming Gene for the '11 turnstile QB substitutions and specific offensive playcalls that amounted to diddly squat. He may have slowed down the Gus Bus that season, but much of that offense just didn't work, regardless of the speed of the HUNH/fast-paced plan that Gus wanted to run. The jet-sweeps, triple reverses, WR screens, wrap around draws, etc didn't work at any speed that season.

I hope we get lucky and one of our QB's will step up and those plays will take the defenses of UGA/UAT/LSU/aTm by surprise and we can puts tons of points on the board.

Agree. I just hope that Gus has learned his lesson from that and we don't see it again but that's my concern with him as well.

Agree. I just hope that Gus has learned his lesson from that and we don't see it again but that's my concern with him as well.

It is my belief that our struggles on offense in 2011 was a result of losing 4 OL and not having enough talented players to replace them.

Archived