Ole Miss vs. Auburn

TigerWar

One thing you mention here I find worthy of note: projecting Ole Miss to hit that eight / nine win mark. Nine would be an improvement. Eight is "being Ole Miss."

Think about this for a second. If we go back twenty years you'll see that program was averaging seven wins per year. Now, we're playing one more game per season and they're looking at one more win next season.

7 wins in the SEC West 20 years ago versus 8 wins now=2 completely different things. Bama then Auburn was tough for a 3 year stretch but neither one at the same time.Plus the division did not have the depth of quality teams then as it does now. 7 wins in the West then was much easier than 8 in the West now.

yah the days of "yeah I know we will win six at least..." Are over for all these days. Well, for most.

In my Harry Carrey voice:

Heck! Even Vanderbilt is tough! Who'd uh thunk it? Huh? (With head shaking)

LOL. I was always more a Harry fan than a Cubs fan. The Cubbies were the perfect subject matter for Harry.

Thammy Thosa. I loved it!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some folks seem to get a little testy at the mere suggestion that Ole Miss might have a decent team this year. LOL, go figure!

It goes both ways ...some get a little testy because others believe ole miss will continue to be well ...ole miss unless proven otherwise....

I don't see anyone upset that you think they'll suck. You've made that clear and I'm good with that. I don't care one way or the other. I am amused, however, when Auburn sux as bad as they have the last couple years, how quickly many here are to look down their nose at what very well could be a team that Auburn has some difficulty with. I really couldn't care less what Ole Miss does against anyone but Auburn and, naturally, I want to beat them.

I said ole miss will be ole miss..unless proven otherwise, perennial 7-6, 8-5, and in a good year possibly 9-3. No where I said ole miss will suck. I just want to see them string together some consecutive successful seasons in the new SEC, (not my granddaddy's SEC) before they make the league quiver in their boots.

I am not sure how successful Freeze was at every stop, but he turned around the ASU program Gus had success with last year. Gus has a NC ring, but Freeze has turned a program around as the HC and Gus still has to show he can do the same himself. After an incredible recruiting year Ole Miss has plenty to be excited about. The state of MS has respectable talent and the recent problems at MSU will only help Freeze's recruiting in state. He is already getting good talent out of state. Look what Manning did for them and Ole Miss has a shot to make some noise, but they historically lacked program consistency. I think there is more danger of us becoming Ole Miss (lacking leadership) than Ole Miss becoming Auburn, but I am not going to dismiss Freeze. We need to respect OM's perceived progress as a program, but focus on ONLY what Auburn does and what we control. Given our pathetic performance the last two seasons we are in no position to be critical of other “lacking” programs. Nobody in the SEC fears playing Auburn (even at home) and that is disturbing. We need performance, not talk or dismissing other schools to get us back to our rightful place in the SEC and nation.

War Eagle !

Some folks seem to get a little testy at the mere suggestion that Ole Miss might have a decent team this year. LOL, go figure!

It goes both ways ...some get a little testy because others believe ole miss will continue to be well ...ole miss unless proven otherwise....

I don't see anyone upset that you think they'll suck. You've made that clear and I'm good with that. I don't care one way or the other. I am amused, however, when Auburn sux as bad as they have the last couple years, how quickly many here are to look down their nose at what very well could be a team that Auburn has some difficulty with. I really couldn't care less what Ole Miss does against anyone but Auburn and, naturally, I want to beat them.

I said ole miss will be ole miss..unless proven otherwise, perennial 7-6, 8-5, and in a good year possibly 9-3. No where I said ole miss will suck. I just want to see them string together some consecutive successful seasons in the new SEC, (not my granddaddy's SEC) before they make the league quiver in their boots.

Like I said earlier I think you've read far too much into what is being posted here. Based on the last 20 years Auburn has basically been a perennial 8 - 5 team with the exception of '93, '04 and '10 so, I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make by implying that Ole Miss will be Ole Miss and then referencing 8- 5, 7 - 6. "Quiver in their boots"? Really? Thats what you think folks are saying here? Nobody is saying that and I don't understand why you continue to insist that they are. All I can assume is that thought bothers you which is exactly what I posted originally and your continued heartburn pretty much makes my point - nice work! :jossun:

I am not sure how successful Freeze was at every stop, but he turned around the ASU program Gus had success with last year. Gus has a NC ring, but Freeze has turned a program around as the HC and Gus still has to show he can do the same himself. After an incredible recruiting year Ole Miss has plenty to be excited about. The state of MS has respectable talent and the recent problems at MSU will only help Freeze's recruiting in state. He is already getting good talent out of state. Look what Manning did for them and Ole Miss has a shot to make some noise, but they historically lacked program consistency. I think there is more danger of us becoming Ole Miss (lacking leadership) than Ole Miss becoming Auburn, but I am not going to dismiss Freeze. We need to respect OM's perceived progress as a program, but focus on ONLY what Auburn does and what we control. Given our pathetic performance the last two seasons we are in no position to be critical of other “lacking” programs. Nobody in the SEC fears playing Auburn (even at home) and that is disturbing. We need performance, not talk or dismissing other schools to get us back to our rightful place in the SEC and nation.

War Eagle !

Great post, sir! War Damn Eagle!

War Eagle !

Pretty much nails it, +1

Nobody in the SEC fears playing Auburn (even at home) and that is disturbing. We need performance, not talk or dismissing other schools to get us back to our rightful place in the SEC and nation.

War Eagle !

Conference losses by at least 14 points over the past 5 seasons....

Alabama ................. 1

LSU ........................ 4

Florida ................... 5

Georgia ................. 5

South Carolina ...... 8

Arkansas ............... 10

Auburn .................. 13

Tennessee ............ 14

Kentucky ............... 15

Miss State ............. 15

Ole Miss ................ 15

Vanderbilt .............. 16

From 2003-2007:

Florida ................... 2

LSU ........................ 2

Georgia ................. 4

Auburn .................. 5

Tennessee ............ 5

Arkansas ............... 6

Alabama ................ 8

South Carolina ...... 9

Ole Miss ................ 14

Kentucky ............... 15

Vanderbilt .............. 15

Miss State ............. 24

Like I said earlier I think you've read far too much into what is being posted here. Based on the last 20 years Auburn has basically been a perennial 8 - 5 team with the exception of '93, '04 and '10 so, I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make by implying that Ole Miss will be Ole Miss and then referencing 8- 5, 7 - 6. "Quiver in their boots"? Really? Thats what you think folks are saying here? Nobody is saying that and I don't understand why you continue to insist that they are. All I can assume is that thought bothers you which is exactly what I posted originally and your continued heartburn pretty much makes my point - nice work! :jossun:/>

Lighten up....nothing here upsets me because I can respect other people's opinions. For you to insinuate me having heartburn is strange and I am the one who reads too far into things....? AU may have had their recent share of 8-5 seasons but within that like you said is 3 undefeated seasons along with two SEC championships (a few appearances in Atlanta where they lost) a BCS title, heisman winner, coaches of the year, etc. Ole Miss as a football program has not come close to that. They are the only SEC west program to not see the SEC championship game. A lot of people, media, sports writers, even some here are on the Ole Miss bandwagon, and they may very well be right. But Just like many say Auburn has to prove it, I say Ole Miss has to show me more than 6-6 before I jump on the bandwagon and say there program has turned the corner. As for the game this season I think the key will be Ellis Johnson acumen as a DC, Auburns ability to run the ball from three positions, and most importantly the home field advantage. So I believe AU wins the game....

Respectfully disagree.

Looking at their 2013 schedule i see only 3 games as sure wins- Idaho, Troy, and Southeast Missouri State. 3 i would rate as tossups-Arkansas, Missouri and State. If they win all 6 then OM still would have to find 3 wins among the remainng 6 games-Vandy, Auburn, Texas, bamr, A&M, LSU- to reach 9. Heck they could be 1-6 thru Oct 19th.

All this speculation and back & forth are two of the many reasons i enjoy college football so much.

Arky @ home with all the talent Arky lost on offense is not a toss up. Rebs better by 2 or 3 TDs. Rebs 10-14 points better than Mizzou at home. Miss St. may normally be a toss up but I think that is Mullen's swan song and the Dogs lay a lame duck egg. The Rebs are a 4 point favorite at Vandy. If they get it that's 7. Then comes the take the next step games for Ole Miss. Even though I am picking us to win Auburn is a winnable game for Ole Miss. So are LSU and TAMU at home given all the experience that left both teams. So yes, they can get to 8 or 9.

Okay lion, I'll give you the same opportunity as i gave Keesler.

A George Washington sez OM won't have a winning record. Put your money where your mouth is, big guy.

How about you put your money where your mouth is, big guy.

Vegas currently has the Ole Miss Over/Under win total at 8.5 games, so that would be a very, very, very easy bet according to your expertise. You should bet your entire savings on the under.

http://www.cbssports...totals-released

Mississippi

Over 8.5 (+120)

Under 8.5 (-160)

By the way, no one's saying that Ole Miss is the new SEC juggernaut that some of you seem to be reading into; no, we're simply saying that Ole Miss has one of the most experienced teams in college football this year and after Auburn went winless in conference play last season then it might not be too smart chalking this game up as an easy victory.

Why don't you ease up there son?

If i was serious about waging money on college football it would be more than a dollar. And I would have thought my willingness to bet $1 on the outcome of OM's season would have been indicative of how strong i feel about my prediction.

Like I said earlier I think you've read far too much into what is being posted here. Based on the last 20 years Auburn has basically been a perennial 8 - 5 team with the exception of '93, '04 and '10 so, I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make by implying that Ole Miss will be Ole Miss and then referencing 8- 5, 7 - 6. "Quiver in their boots"? Really? Thats what you think folks are saying here? Nobody is saying that and I don't understand why you continue to insist that they are. All I can assume is that thought bothers you which is exactly what I posted originally and your continued heartburn pretty much makes my point - nice work! :jossun:/>

Lighten up....nothing here upsets me because I can respect other people's opinions. For you to insinuate me having heartburn is strange and I am the one who reads too far into things....? AU may have had their recent share of 8-5 seasons but within that like you said is 3 undefeated seasons along with two SEC championships (a few appearances in Atlanta where they lost) a BCS title, heisman winner, coaches of the year, etc. Ole Miss as a football program has not come close to that. They are the only SEC west program to not see the SEC championship game. A lot of people, media, sports writers, even some here are on the Ole Miss bandwagon, and they may very well be right. But Just like many say Auburn has to prove it, I say Ole Miss has to show me more than 6-6 before I jump on the bandwagon and say there program has turned the corner. As for the game this season I think the key will be Ellis Johnson acumen as a DC, Auburns ability to run the ball from three positions, and most importantly the home field advantage. So I believe AU wins the game....

Heartburn is an expression that shows through when people resort to hyperbole reacting to others opinions. You argued against Ole Miss having a "huge monumental talent gap" that nobody even implied much less posted. Then you used the league wont "quiver in their boots" reference to reaction to Ole Miss which nobody implied much less posted. All I said was you read too much into what people were posting about Ole Miss and you were. No, you never came right out and said that ole Miss would suck you you continued with other bad references for example; Ole Miss is still just Ole Miss a typical 8 - 5 program which is what Auburn has been more times than not the last 20 years. In any event, I also respect others' opinions but reserve the right to laugh when folks essentially dance around and deny what they have posted.

I never said anyone implied or posted regarding a talent gap ..that was my opinion, and my opinion only. Yes until proven otherwise Ole Miss is just Ole Miss. I stand by that. Does not mean they suck ... I never said they suck, you read into that via my post, and yet you accuse me of reading into things too much here? I repeat ..past records aside the difference between the Rebels and Auburn the past 20 yrs is two SEC championships, two national coaches of the year, three undefeated seasons, and a national title. IMO and mines only Ole Miss (and I know no one said otherwise) is no where near as accomplished as Auburn has been the past twenty years. I respectfully bow out of this one on one with you to allow others to enjoy the subject at hand. Salut.

I never said anyone implied or posted regarding a talent gap ..that was my opinion, and my opinion only. Yes until proven otherwise Ole Miss is just Ole Miss. I stand by that. Does not mean they suck ... I never said they suck, you read into that via my post, and yet you accuse me of reading into things too much here? I repeat ..past records aside the difference between the Rebels and Auburn the past 20 yrs is two SEC championships, two national coaches of the year, three undefeated seasons, and a national title. IMO and mines only Ole Miss (and I know no one said otherwise) is no where near as accomplished as Auburn has been the past twenty years. I respectfully bow out of this one on one with you to allow others to enjoy the subject at hand. Salut.

yep that's the difference but dont forget all that happened in 3 seasons which means that 85% of that time Auburn was exactly what you were looking down your nose at Ole miss for being...your words not mine..a typical 8 - 5 team.

yep that's the difference but dont forget all that happened in 3 seasons which means that 85% of that time Auburn was exactly what you were looking down your nose at Ole miss for being...your words not mine..a typical 8 - 5 team.

Actually that's not true. Over the last 20 years Auburn has won 9 games or more 10 times. Ole Miss has done it 4 times. While its true that over the last 20 years, Auburn has averaged 8 wins per season, Ole Miss is averaging 6 wins per season in the same period. Seems calling Ole Miss a typical 8-5 team isn't accurate considering an 8-5 season by Ole Miss would actually be OVER achieving.

Also, your premise that it happened in 3 years is quite flawed. Those three years were 1993, 2004 and 2010. It wasn't like we overachieved for three years then fell off the map. We have those 3 undefeated seasons, two SEC titles and a National Title under three different coaches. It's been 49 years since Ole Miss last won an SEC title. Ole Miss is on their 6th coach since 1992 (not counting one season when Joe Lee Dunn was HC) and none of them won consistently. Hugh Freeze so far has turned in the typical 7 win season for Ole Miss and nothing more. Until they actually win more than 7 games in a season and do it consistently, they aren't even close to Auburn's league. Auburn is #13 in the country in ALL TIME WINS....Ole Miss is 38th.

Actually that's not true. Over the last 20 years Auburn has won 9 games or more 10 times. Ole Miss has done it 4 times. While its true that over the last 20 years, Auburn has averaged 8 wins per season, Ole Miss is averaging 6 wins per season in the same period. Seems calling Ole Miss a typical 8-5 team isn't accurate considering an 8-5 season by Ole Miss would actually be OVER achieving.

Also, your premise that it happened in 3 years is quite flawed. Those three years were 1993, 2004 and 2010. It wasn't like we overachieved for three years then fell off the map. We have those 3 undefeated seasons, two SEC titles and a National Title under three different coaches. It's been 49 years since Ole Miss last won an SEC title. Ole Miss is on their 6th coach since 1992 (not counting one season when Joe Lee Dunn was HC) and none of them won consistently. Hugh Freeze so far has turned in the typical 7 win season for Ole Miss and nothing more. Until they actually win more than 7 games in a season and do it consistently, they aren't even close to Auburn's league. Auburn is #13 in the country in ALL TIME WINS....Ole Miss is 38th.

I agree but in the greater scheme of things there's not a whole lot of difference in 8 wins versus 7. Both seem quite forgettable IMO. I wasn't saying that Ole Miss was Auburn's equal because I dont believe they are. I was simply pointing out to another poster that he probably shouldn't look down his nose at Ole Miss for being what HE called a typical 8 - 5 team. While Auburn did achieve those things you referred to under 3 different coaches it did happen in 3 years of the twenty year span during which Auburn did average 8 wins a year essentially BECAUSE of those 3 undeated seasons. Using your logic an argument could be made that until Auburn betters 3 - 9 they're just a 3 - 9 team. I don't believe that but I dont buy the idea that Auburn will be better than Ole Miss this year because of our place in college football history either. Hugh freeze may fall on his face this year but I really couldn't care less what Ole Miss does against anyone but Auburn and obviously I want to beat them

What does the past has anything to do with they are good now or not?

They are going to be. I think Freeze is on the right track and the players that keep coming there will make them formidable in the future. Maybe not fully this year, but next year and the year after.

I am not writing off ole miss because they are ole miss.

:thumbsup: All about what have you done lately.

They are going to be. I think Freeze is on the right track and the players that keep coming there will make them formidable in the future. Maybe not fully this year, but next year and the year after.

I am not writing off ole miss because they are ole miss.

Freeze appears to be a damn fine coach. I wonder how long Ole Miss will be able to keep him. Like you said, he has brought in some solid talent. They are starting to believe they belong, which is more than half the fight IMO. I am certainly not looking past them like I once did.

I am new to the board and an AU alumnus (1985). My oldest daughter is a student at Ole Miss. AU was a little bigger than what she wanted. At only 17,000 students or so Ole Miss reminds me a lot of AU when I was a student there: beautiful campus and friendly students. I always thought if Ole Miss could get past the old racist stuff they should be able to recruit. Freeze is a lot like Gus on and off the field in terms of his values. I think he will continue to keep Ole Miss strong and he definitely has the upper hand over MSU.

Ole Miss v. AU will be a tight game. I hope Gus and Co. can pull it off. Vegas has us as a dog, I understand.

I am new to the board and an AU alumnus (1985). My oldest daughter is a student at Ole Miss. AU was a little bigger than what she wanted. At only 17,000 students or so Ole Miss reminds me a lot of AU when I was a student there: beautiful campus and friendly students. I always thought if Ole Miss could get past the old racist stuff they should be able to recruit. Freeze is a lot like Gus on and off the field in terms of his values. I think he will continue to keep Ole Miss strong and he definitely has the upper hand over MSU.

Ole Miss v. AU will be a tight game. I hope Gus and Co. can pull it off. Vegas has us as a dog, I understand.

Welcome 7to88. War Eagle good sir!!!

:hellyeah: Welcome to the board. Glad to have another alumnus! :wareagle:

Welcome sir and I couldn't agree more. I visited Ole Miss as a JR and a SR and had a teammate that played there. I loved it, the tradition is as steeped as it gets and the co-eds weren't too shabby either. The Grove was cool as well. It was further from home than I wanted to go but I have been to games there several times and it's alway's a great time. The race thing has held them back and some of their "former" traditions didn't help matters I'm sure. They have done a pretty good job recently of shedding that image.

Ole Miss will always struggle with the racism thing, and it came up again this year. Despite the university's efforts (Black Bears, no Colonel Reb, etc.) many fans aren't buying in. That's got to be a drag on recruiting. If we can just get stable and be Auburn we shouldn't have to worry much about Ole Miss.

When did it come up this year?

And, I think to fans, that stigma is a bigger deal than it is to players/recruits. I honestly thing Ole Miss sells itself once you step foot on campus.

Archived