Ole Miss vs. Auburn

TigerWar

Ole Miss is my dark horse in the SEC this season...

The Rebels return the most starters in the SEC, were No. 2 in players with at least 20 games of experience, No. 3 in freshman who played in at least 12 games during 2012, No. 2 in seniors, No. 1 in returning letterman, No. 8 in recruiting over the past 4 years and No. 4 in conference with players appearing on Phil Steele's All-SEC teams. Bo Wallace was the No. 37 rated passer last year. If he can improve on that and become a top 25 passer in 2013, the Rebels could win 9-10 games this season. Don't forget they had close losses to A&M and LSU. They were 10 points away from being 10-3 rather than 7-6 in 2012.

They were the second most improved team at the FBS level in scoring offense, No. 28 most improved in scoring defense. They were the 4th most improved offense in total yardage and the 18th most improved defense in yardage allowed. They also went from No. 90 in forcing turnovers and tackles for loss on defense during 2011 to No. 4 nationally in 2012.

Here's the thing Stat.

They "10 points away from being 10-3 rather than 7-6." It's entirely feasible they were 7-6 because they are Ole Miss.

I think what's Stat is trying to say is they're not the same Ole Miss that you seem to believe they are. And I agree with him. They've brought in a new coach who is highly respected and who brought in arguably the best recruiting class in the history of their program. I realize not one class makes a program, but Freeze definitely has breathed a new life and culture into the program. Not to mention, they have a lot of returning experience entering this season. Again, there's not an SEC opponent on our schedule that we need to take lightly, especially Ole Miss...even though, according to you, they are Ole Miss.

:bow:

After what we've witnessed the past 2 seasons, no one can honestly look at any SEC team and assume a W is automatic. Just goes to show that even the doormats of this conference can rise up and kick the butt of an elite SEC team if the elite team lets their guard down.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stat, Ole Miss went 2-10 in 2011 and 7-6 in 2012 for a 12 game swing in win total. I believe that is the correct verbiage or maybe I should have said a 5 game swing, but I'm not exactly sure.

Anyway, I also believe Oregon St. was one of the most improved teams from '11 to '12 for another example.

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the most improved teams from 2011 - 2012, would you?

Here ya go...

This is based on improved win pct from 2011 to 2012:

Ohio State 6-7 to 12-0

Middle Tennessee 2-10 to 8-4

Oregon State 3-9 to 9-4

San Jose State 5-7 to 11-2

Fresno State 4-9 to 9-4

Ole Miss 2-10 to 7-6

Kent State 5-7 to 11-3

Florida 7-6 to 11-2

Louisville 7-6 to 11-2

Northwestern 6-7 to 10-3

Notre Dame 8-5 to 12-1

Texas A&M 7-6 to 11-2

Utah State 7-6 to 11-2

Ole Miss did it in the hardest division in college football, making their turn around even more impressive, though they did lack the big wins. It wouldn't surprise me if OSU ends up as the proverbial media darling against the evil SEC empire in the NCG this year.... that inevitably gets blown out in embarrassing fashion (looking at you Notre Dame).

I think this may turn out to be one of the most exciting games of the year in the SEC - Gus and Freeze going at it in a high octane HUNH offensive shootout is a game made for tv.

And might I add, I really like Freeze. I think Ole Miss finally got a good coach when they picked him up and I believe that he'll actually stick around there for a while.

What's your take on this game and Freeze for that matter?

I think Ole Miss and Auburn will most likely have very similar years this season and we'll battle it out for who is the best in the west not named Alabama, LSU, or A&M.

Schedule plays out pretty good for this game. We get them in JHS after our bye week. They get to play the tawd, US, then TAMU...

Ole Miss did it in the hardest division in college football, making their turn around even more impressive, though they did lack the big wins. It wouldn't surprise me if OSU ends up as the proverbial media darling against the evil SEC empire in the NCG this year.... that inevitably gets blown out in embarrassing fashion (looking at you Notre Dame).

Yeah but who were those 6 wins against...not discounting their progress but this season should let us if they are legit

While Ole Miss has work to do to reach the next step they have a lot ox experience coming back and were more competitive than we were last year including playing TAMU tough. They will get a quality win in 2013

Stat, Ole Miss went 2-10 in 2011 and 7-6 in 2012 for a 12 game swing in win total. I believe that is the correct verbiage or maybe I should have said a 5 game swing, but I'm not exactly sure.

Anyway, I also believe Oregon St. was one of the most improved teams from '11 to '12 for another example.

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the most improved teams from 2011 - 2012, would you?

Here ya go...

This is based on improved win pct from 2011 to 2012:

Ohio State 6-7 to 12-0

Middle Tennessee 2-10 to 8-4

Oregon State 3-9 to 9-4

San Jose State 5-7 to 11-2

Fresno State 4-9 to 9-4

Ole Miss 2-10 to 7-6

Kent State 5-7 to 11-3

Florida 7-6 to 11-2

Louisville 7-6 to 11-2

Northwestern 6-7 to 10-3

Notre Dame 8-5 to 12-1

Texas A&M 7-6 to 11-2

Utah State 7-6 to 11-2

Thanks, Stat.

Hopefully Auburn will be on this list circa 2013. Auburn 3-9 to 8-5?

Thanks, Stat.

Hopefully Auburn will be on this list circa 2013. Auburn 3-9 to 8-5?

I am going for 9-4

Here's the thing Stat.

They "10 points away from being 10-3 rather than 7-6." It's entirely feasible they were 7-6 because they are Ole Miss.

I think what's Stat is trying to say is they're not the same Ole Miss that you seem to believe they are. And I agree with him. They've brought in a new coach who is highly respected and who brought in arguably the best recruiting class in the history of their program. I realize not one class makes a program, but Freeze definitely has breathed a new life and culture into the program. Not to mention, they have a lot of returning experience entering this season. Again, there's not an SEC opponent on our schedule that we need to take lightly, especially Ole Miss...even though, according to you, they are Ole Miss.

What you're saying here was the same thing said when David Cutcliffe took over the program. It was repeated when Houston Nutt took over the program. Ed Orgeron was bringing new life and a new attitude. Billy Brewer, Steve Sloan, the list goes on of coaches who have brought a new attitude, and new outlook, and anticipated promise to Oxford.

Yet, in the end, Ole Miss has remained Ole Miss.

Heck, even in their glory years with Johnny Vaught they had fewer up years than they did mediocre seasons. That's the best coach they've had walk the sidelines in Oxford and still they were looking at roughly 60% of his years being in that seven and eight win season category.

Moving from a seven win season in 2012 to an eight win season in 2013 is reasonable considering they are replacing Georgia with Mizzou. Moving to nine wins? To do that they'll need to beat two of the following; LSU, Bama, Auburn, Texas, and A&M. Where are those two wins? And, this is assuming they beat Vandy.

Let's assume I'm wrong for 2013 and they do reach that nine win mark. Where does that leave them in 2014 with so many upperclassmen leaving? Back at that seven win mark? Which, by the way, is being Ole Miss.

I'm sure there's a good story there for Ole Miss, which looked to become the doormat of the SEC for a generation.

There was a time, not too long ago, where I could be mildly interested , too. But not any longer. No other SEC school, no 'feel good' story grabs my attention any more.

I'm sure there's a good story there for Ole Miss, which looked to become the doormat of the SEC for a generation.

There was a time, not too long ago, where I could be mildly interested , too. But not any longer. No other SEC school, no 'feel good' story grabs my attention any more.

Not even teams like TAMU or Mizzou who not apart of the grudge of 2010?

"Heck, even in their glory years with Johnny Vaught they had fewer up years than they did mediocre seasons. That's the best coach they've had walk the sidelines in Oxford and still they were looking at roughly 60% of his years being in that seven and eight win season category."

living in a glass house doesn't lend itself to throwing stones. Take a hard look at Auburn before you judge a team too critically for having a lot of 7 and 8 win seasons.

Tubs won 85 games in 10 years. Bowden won 47 games in 6 years. Chiz won 33 games in 4 years....that's 165 wins in 20 years or 8 wins a years. The fact that Tubs, Bowden and Chiz all had one undefeated season helped a lot in reaching the 8 win plateau. I don't see why anyone would be looking down their nose at Ole Miss for being what was called, for the most part, an 8 win program.

Here's the thing Stat.

What you're saying here was the same thing said when David Cutcliffe took over the program. It was repeated when Houston Nutt took over the program. Ed Orgeron was bringing new life and a new attitude. Billy Brewer, Steve Sloan, the list goes on of coaches who have brought a new attitude, and new outlook, and anticipated promise to Oxford.

Yet, in the end, Ole Miss has remained Ole Miss.

Heck, even in their glory years with Johnny Vaught they had fewer up years than they did mediocre seasons. That's the best coach they've had walk the sidelines in Oxford and still they were looking at roughly 60% of his years being in that seven and eight win season category.

Moving from a seven win season in 2012 to an eight win season in 2013 is reasonable considering they are replacing Georgia with Mizzou. Moving to nine wins? To do that they'll need to beat two of the following; LSU, Bama, Auburn, Texas, and A&M. Where are those two wins? And, this is assuming they beat Vandy.

Let's assume I'm wrong for 2013 and they do reach that nine win mark. Where does that leave them in 2014 with so many upperclassmen leaving? Back at that seven win mark? Which, by the way, is being Ole Miss.

OleMiss has been very inconsistant. Few programs have the ability to sustain success with a stable coaching staff in this conference. The old timers in the SEC Spurrier/Miles/Saban/Richt (formerly Tubs) are seasoned coaches that know how to run a program and field a competitive team year to year. Even those old guys have their up and down seasons from time to time, but they are solid for the most part. The new coaches in the conference have a lot to prove, they have to learn how to overthrow and out scheme the old farts.

Ole Miss was 1-6 last year vs BCS conference schools with winning records last year (only win vs Ms St). In those games Wallace threw 11 TD and 13 INT. Throw Miss St game out and it was 6TD-11INT. They became a media darling with their recruiting class and somehow suddenly everyone forgot they just became bowl eligible in their final game. They have a long way to go to compete for anything that matters. If they lose @ Vanderbilt to start the season it is very possible they start 1-6 or 2-5 and are fighting to make a bowl. They have a strech starting at week 3 of @Texas, @Alabama, @Auburn, home vs A&M, & home vs LSU. Auburn has two weeks to prepare for Ole Miss.

Ole Miss was 1-6 last year vs BCS conference schools with winning records last year (only win vs Ms St). In those games Wallace threw 11 TD and 13 INT. Throw Miss St game out and it was 6TD-11INT. They became a media darling with their recruiting class and somehow suddenly everyone forgot they just became bowl eligible in their final game. They have a long way to go to compete for anything that matters. If they lose @ Vanderbilt to start the season it is very possible they start 1-6 or 2-5 and are fighting to make a bowl. They have a strech starting at week 3 of @Texas, @Alabama, @Auburn, home vs A&M, & home vs LSU. Auburn has two weeks to prepare for Ole Miss.

Ole Miss was more competitive than Auburn in almost every game and their pass game got better as the season wore on. Like it or not, with the experience on their roster plus the influx of new talent, the Rebs are poised to have an 8 or 9 win season.

Ole Miss was more competitive than Auburn in almost every game and their pass game got better as the season wore on. Like it or not, with the experience on their roster plus the influx of new talent, the Rebs are poised to have an 8 or 9 win season.

Respectfully disagree.

Looking at their 2013 schedule i see only 3 games as sure wins- Idaho, Troy, and Southeast Missouri State. 3 i would rate as tossups-Arkansas, Missouri and State. If they win all 6 then OM still would have to find 3 wins among the remainng 6 games-Vandy, Auburn, Texas, bamr, A&M, LSU- to reach 9. Heck they could be 1-6 thru Oct 19th.

All this speculation and back & forth are two of the many reasons i enjoy college football so much.

Respectfully disagree.

Looking at their 2013 schedule i see only 3 games as sure wins- Idaho, Troy, and Southeast Missouri State. 3 i would rate as tossups-Arkansas, Missouri and State. If they win all 6 then OM still would have to find 3 wins among the remainng 6 games-Vandy, Auburn, Texas, bamr, A&M, LSU- to reach 9. Heck they could be 1-6 thru Oct 19th.

All this speculation and back & forth are two of the many reasons i enjoy college football so much.

Arky @ home with all the talent Arky lost on offense is not a toss up. Rebs better by 2 or 3 TDs. Rebs 10-14 points better than Mizzou at home. Miss St. may normally be a toss up but I think that is Mullen's swan song and the Dogs lay a lame duck egg. The Rebs are a 4 point favorite at Vandy. If they get it that's 7. Then comes the take the next step games for Ole Miss. Even though I am picking us to win Auburn is a winnable game for Ole Miss. So are LSU and TAMU at home given all the experience that left both teams. So yes, they can get to 8 or 9.

Respectfully disagree.

There's nothing better!

Respectfully disagree.

There's nothing better!

I can think of at least one thing...

I think that Ole Miss will be pretty good this year, will not know for sure until I see them play. I would not assume that we can beat them this year. I could see this game go either way. Will know more once the season starts.

Respectfully disagree.

Arky @ home with all the talent Arky lost on offense is not a toss up. Rebs better by 2 or 3 TDs. Rebs 10-14 points better than Mizzou at home. Miss St. may normally be a toss up but I think that is Mullen's swan song and the Dogs lay a lame duck egg. The Rebs are a 4 point favorite at Vandy. If they get it that's 7. Then comes the take the next step games for Ole Miss. Even though I am picking us to win Auburn is a winnable game for Ole Miss. So are LSU and TAMU at home given all the experience that left both teams. So yes, they can get to 8 or 9.

Okay lion, I'll give you the same opportunity as i gave Keesler.

A George Washington sez OM won't have a winning record. Put your money where your mouth is, big guy.

The difference I saw last season when comparing the two teams is the further the season progressed the earlier Auburn "threw the towel in." The decline with Auburn started the 13th of October with that game against Ole Miss.

Personally, I didn't see what I'd call improvement with the Black Bears/Rebels. I can't say they separated themselves, in terms of play, with Auburn. The schedules with the two teams were dramatically different in the later half of the season. Vandy is probably as good of an example of how close the two programs were. Ole Miss lost by one, Auburn by four, and those two games were played within a couple of weeks of each other.

One thing you mention here I find worthy of note: projecting Ole Miss to hit that eight / nine win mark. Nine would be an improvement. Eight is "being Ole Miss."

Think about this for a second. If we go back twenty years you'll see that program was averaging seven wins per year. Now, we're playing one more game per season and they're looking at one more win next season.

Come on guys Freeze and his staff actually did some coaching last year....of course they were more competitive. If AU had a coaching staff that was organized and on the same page then it's likely AU would have been just as competitive in common games as Ole Miss. The road stretch MA mentioned of Texas, AU, and Updyke U will essentially determine the direction of their season. They are going to have to win some SEC games on the road and get A&M or LSU at home to get 9 wins...

I believe it will be tight but will also turn into catch me if you can featuring Quan, Trey, and CAP. I remember in 2011 when we had a weak o-line and Dyer would break those runs in between the tackle and tight end. Gone everytime. CAP's speed with Tre's burst through the outside holes, at JHS. Give me tigers or give me a break. And Bo,,, Lawson, Ford, E. Daniel just to name a few. Yeah, they comin

One thing you mention here I find worthy of note: projecting Ole Miss to hit that eight / nine win mark. Nine would be an improvement. Eight is "being Ole Miss."

Think about this for a second. If we go back twenty years you'll see that program was averaging seven wins per year. Now, we're playing one more game per season and they're looking at one more win next season.

7 wins in the SEC West 20 years ago versus 8 wins now=2 completely different things. Bama then Auburn was tough for a 3 year stretch but neither one at the same time.Plus the division did not have the depth of quality teams then as it does now. 7 wins in the West then was much easier than 8 in the West now.

Archived