Ole Miss vs. Auburn

TigerWar

I think this may turn out to be one of the most exciting games of the year in the SEC - Gus and Freeze going at it in a high octane HUNH offensive shootout is a game made for tv.

And might I add, I really like Freeze. I think Ole Miss finally got a good coach when they picked him up and I believe that he'll actually stick around there for a while.

What's your take on this game and Freeze for that matter?

I think Ole Miss and Auburn will most likely have very similar years this season and we'll battle it out for who is the best in the west not named Alabama, LSU, or A&M.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate every SEC team and every SEC coach, except Auburn.

I hope it is turrible for TV.

I hope we score 40 on them and its over by halftime.

You know a coach is doing a stellar job when he is routinely accused of cheating the way Hugh Freeze was when he started to sign some big time talent. He's doing a great job there and will likely have hit and miss success until he has a few more of those kind of signing classes in the fold. Obviously, he's a pretty dang good salesman to have signed that class last year and I think it would be a mistake to under-estimate him going forward. I definitely do not see the Ole Miss game as one that can be cavalierly chalked up as a win for Auburn but the game is at home and Auburn should have a slight edge in what could indeed turn out to be a made for TV match up. Auburn should beat them but they should've beaten them last year too.

I believe Freeze will be there a few more years but he also benefitted tremendously from our and Arky's failure to launch last year. (i.e. Recruiting) I could be wrong but if Freeze gets a shot at a HC job at a more traditional powerhouse program he would be smart to take it IMO.

You know a coach is doing a stellar job when he is routinely accused of cheating the way Hugh Freeze was when he started to sign some big time talent. He's doing a great job there and will likely have hit and miss success until he has a few more of those kind of signing classes in the fold. Obviously, he's a pretty dang good salesman to have signed that class last year and I think it would be a mistake to under-estimate him going forward. I definitely do not see the Ole Miss game as one that can be cavalierly chalked up as a win for Auburn but the game is at home and Auburn should have a slight edge in what could indeed turn out to be a made for TV match up. Auburn should beat them but they should've beaten them last year too.

Not sure what motivated you to bring the possible cheating thing up since it has not been brought up in this thread. Sometimes it's as if you post looking for a cyber fight.But since you brought it up there is at least some questionability of their tactics when elite WR LeQuan Treadwell tweets a pic with his hand on a number of $100 bills with the caption "Oxford is the best place I have ever been". Here is an article on the tweeted photo. Link

Not sure what motivated you to bring the possible cheating thing up since it has not been brought up in this thread. Sometimes it's as if you post looking for a cyber fight.But since you brought it up there is at least some questionability of their tactics when elite WR LeQuan Treadwell tweets a pic with his hand on a number of $100 bills with the caption "Oxford is the best place I have ever been". Here is an article on the tweeted photo. Link

I brought it up because it was a daily rant in here for about 3 months. The picture testament to their cheating is hilarious...I've seen pictures of Auburn recruits flashing money and until somethings comes of it it means absolutely NOTHING

I brought it up because it was a daily rant in here for about 3 months. The picture testament to their cheating is hilarious...I've seen pictures of Auburn recruits flashing money and until somethings comes of it it means absolutely NOTHING

But you have to at least question something is up given the pics combined with the inuendo in the caption. You can believe they are legit all you want but you would be foolish not to at least question it given the Treadwell sitch.

But you have to at least question something is up given the pics combined with the inuendo in the caption. You can believe they are legit all you want but you would be foolish not to at least question it given the Treadwell sitch.

With all due respect ellitor, its not my job to question Hugh Freeze's recruiting. That's the NCAA's job and unless they call it cheating.... guess what? it aint cheating! Innocent until proven guilty..remember? Funny how all these same accusations were levied against Auburn and how passionate so many here were defending Auburn who apparently saw the light with Ole miss and are willing to join in on throwing the same kind of s+++ at them that very same Auburn fans resented so much being thrown at Auburn.

I think it wil lmost likely be a good game. I want to think that Auburn will be able to handle them but we'll have to be much improved over last year for that to happen. I'd like to think we'd have undeniably more talent than they have an with equal coaching we could simply over power them but think that will be the case. The problems the mississippi schools have is with talented depth. I beleive their first line rotation is on par with everyone else. Its when they have injuries that its hard for them to compete because they just can't pull in the quantity of quality players that other schools can.

I agree it should be an entertaining game and likely high a shootout unless Ellis really turns or D around.

With all due respect ellitor, its not my job to question Hugh Freeze's recruiting. That's the NCAA's job and unless they call it cheating.... guess what? it aint cheating! Innocent until proven guilty..remember? Funny how all these same accusations were levied against Auburn and how passionate so many here were defending Auburn who apparently saw the light with Ole miss and are willing to join in on throwing the same kind of s+++ at them that very same Auburn fans resented so much being thrown at Auburn.

Read closer. I said they may be legit. which means I am not presuming them guilty til innocent. And that tweet at the very least is much more intriguing than any supposed evidence that came against Auburn because it came from Treadwell himself. You right. It is the NCAAs job and not yours but it's also not your job to just blindly defend them either. If you choose not to be inquisitive then just don't have an opinion 1 way or another.

I think it wil lmost likely be a good game. I want to think that Auburn will be able to handle them but we'll have to be much improved over last year for that to happen. I'd like to think we'd have undeniably more talent than they have an with equal coaching we could simply over power them but think that will be the case. The problems the mississippi schools have is with talented depth. I beleive their first line rotation is on par with everyone else. Its when they have injuries that its hard for them to compete because they just can't pull in the quantity of quality players that other schools can.

I agree it should be an entertaining game and likely high a shootout unless Ellis really turns or D around.

yep, on the depth that's why it is my thought that his successes will be continue to be hit and miss until he gets a couple more of those quality classes in the fold. Should be interesting to follow. I like Auburn as well against them at home but it wont be a walk over by any stretch of the imagination IMO

Read closer. I said they may be legit. which means I am not presuming them guilty til innocent. And that tweet at the very least is much more intriguing than any supposed evidence that came against Auburn because it came from Treadwell himself. You right. It is the NCAAs job and not yours but it's also not your job to just blindly defend them either. If you choose not to be inquisitive then just don't have an opinion 1 way or another.

What you call blindly defending them is what I call deferring judgment until those in charge of enforcement believe, as you do, that your suspicions have merit.At this point they apparently do not or there would be an investigation. That being the case, my choice is to NOT to get emotionally entangled in other programs' business because I'm just A LOT more interested in Auburn and frankly it just reeks of hypocrisy if you ask me

Ole Miss is my dark horse in the SEC this season...

The Rebels return the most starters in the SEC, were No. 2 in players with at least 20 games of experience, No. 3 in freshman who played in at least 12 games during 2012, No. 2 in seniors, No. 1 in returning letterman, No. 8 in recruiting over the past 4 years and No. 4 in conference with players appearing on Phil Steele's All-SEC teams. Bo Wallace was the No. 37 rated passer last year. If he can improve on that and become a top 25 passer in 2013, the Rebels could win 9-10 games this season. Don't forget they had close losses to A&M and LSU. They were 10 points away from being 10-3 rather than 7-6 in 2012.

They were the second most improved team at the FBS level in scoring offense, No. 28 most improved in scoring defense. They were the 4th most improved offense in total yardage and the 18th most improved defense in yardage allowed. They also went from No. 90 in forcing turnovers and tackles for loss on defense during 2011 to No. 4 nationally in 2012.

The Rebels return the most starters in the SEC, were No. 2 in players with at least 20 games of experience, No. 3 in freshman who played in at least 12 games during 2012, No. 2 in seniors, No. 1 in returning letterman, No. 8 in recruiting over the past 4 years and No. 4 in conference with players appearing on Phil Steele's All-SEC teams. Bo Wallace was the No. 37 rated passer last year. If he can improve on that and become a top 25 passer in 2013, the Rebels could win 9-10 games this season. Don't forget they had close losses to A&M and LSU. They were 10 points away from being 10-3 rather than 7-6 in 2012.

They were the second most improved team at the FBS level in scoring offense, No. 28 most improved in scoring defense. They were the 4th most improved offense in total yardage and the 18th most improved defense in yardage allowed. They also went from No. 90 in forcing turnovers and tackles for loss on defense during 2011 to No. 4 nationally in 2012.

Thats interesting info. I felt they would be strong but they look even more formidable than I had previously thought based on their returning experience

Thanks Stat!

They have experienced players returning from a complete turn-around season (from 2-10 to 7-6). They have a good, energetic coach in his 2nd year in the system that has them manning up and fighting like an SEC squad should. Add in the #1 rated players they just hauled in (Tunsil/Knechkeme(sp)/Treadwell) along with the experienced roster and that's a recipe for them to have a better season than they had last year, IMO.

I don't give a rats furry rear about a teenage kid flashing cash (we had our own recruit do the same a few yrs ago.) Is it not a bit hypocritical for the AUFamily to expect folks to turn a blindeye to our multitude of "situations" over the last few years though?

I hate to; but I have to agree. Having devoured every pre-season publication; and looking at the returning experience, they appear to be poised for a good year. They had A&M beaten last year and found a way to lose. I don't think they will do that again....I expect them to beat us; and probably badly as I don't think we will stop anyone.

+1

We sure have time to prepare for them since we have an open date before the game. Should be a good one.....for us.

Agree Stat. Nice facts as well. Those where some of my points in the "way too early" thread. The Miss schools can't simply be written off anymore. I think we split with them this year. It's just not about one recruiting class with Ole Miss. They have some good starters returning and more importantly a good QB that will have another year under his belt. Yes, overall our football program is better than Ole Miss but we're in a similar position they were after only winning 2 games so just to dismiss them and say we're Auburn doesn't automatically make us better than them just b/c we're Auburn. Like it or not we have some proving to do. I'm just one who gives credit where credit is due and i think they are a good team that has a chance to do some good things this season.

They didn't have picks of Cam holding large sums of money and tweeting texts that could be construed as something fishy was going on. We are also talking about Auburn,which is a top 15 program all time and Ole Miss a long time door mat.

Archived