Carl Lawson

tigerbrotha12

Contrary to what many here may believe, I think the more fresh blood the better. We have seen this D-line for two years now, and we pretty much know what we are getting, and it isn't good. The current players mostly seem to be lacking the physical god-given trait that is required for SEC defensive lineman. These players have been through two defensive schemes and it hasn't emerged, so I don't count on a dramatic shift this year.

D Ford - has the body type of a linebacker and through all his work can't seem to add weight to be an every down d-end. Has the speed to run around a tackle, but has cannot hold gaps against the run

K Carter - shows flashes of penetrating ability but is inconsistent. May be something to build on with new staff.

N Eguae - plays fundamentally sound and can be a solid run-stopper with talent around him as in 2010, but disappeared last season (may have been injured)

C Sanders - specials teams standout, but plays out of control at D-end

J Whitaker - great guy, but doesn't have the first step or strength to make plays, plays too high and gets blocked down field

A Blackson - shown flashes of penetrating ability, but typically plays too high and gets blocked out of plays

G Wright - rushes the passer regardless of situation, yet has had just one sack per year, runs or is blocked out of most plays, not physical

Physicality may be improved, but it is hard to teach playmaking ability. Watching Fairley against Northwestern on New Years Day, it was obvious he had it.

Lawson appears to have the physical measurables and mindset to compete immediately. M Adams came from a small school and played against weak competition, so he will probably need a year or two. Not sure about Daniels. Redshirt Freshman T Nero seemed like a promising talent, but he hasn't cracked the conversation.

Monty Adams won't need a year. He will be in the rotation early and often. He is the real deal.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrary to what many here may believe, I think the more fresh blood the better. We have seen this D-line for two years now, and we pretty much know what we are getting, and it isn't good. The current players mostly seem to be lacking the physical god-given trait that is required for SEC defensive lineman. These players have been through two defensive schemes and it hasn't emerged, so I don't count on a dramatic shift this year.

D Ford - has the body type of a linebacker and through all his work can't seem to add weight to be an every down d-end. Has the speed to run around a tackle, but has cannot hold gaps against the run

K Carter - shows flashes of penetrating ability but is inconsistent. May be something to build on with new staff.

N Eguae - plays fundamentally sound and can be a solid run-stopper with talent around him as in 2010, but disappeared last season (may have been injured)

J Whitaker - great guy, but doesn't have the first step or strength to make plays, plays too high and gets blocked down field

A Blackson - shown flashes of penetrating ability, but typically plays too high and gets blocked out of plays

G Wright - rushes the passer regardless of situation, yet has had just one sack per year, runs or is blocked out of most plays, not physical

Physicality may be improved, but it is hard to teach playmaking ability. Watching Fairley against Northwestern on New Years Day, it was obvious he had it.

Lawson appears to have the physical measurables and mindset to compete immediately. M Adams came from a small school and played against weak competition, so he will probably need a year or two. Not sure about Daniels. Redshirt Freshman T Nero seemed like a promising talent, but he hasn't cracked the conversation.

Monty Adams won't need a year. He will be in the rotation early and often. He is the real deal.

Real deal or not, given he played in the smallest class in Georgia and has not faced quality competition due to the injuries he had last summer and last January which, kept him from going up against elite competition in camps and the UAAA Bowl, experts are understandably split on whether he will be in the rotation or be redshirted. I am leaning redshirt right now...especially if Gabe, Blackson, Whit, and Bradley develop a good rotation.

Real deal or not, given he played in the smallest class in Georgia and has not faced quality competition due to the injuries he had last summer and last January which, kept him from going up against elite competition in camps and the UAAA Bowl, experts are understandably split on whether he will be in the rotation or be redshirted. I am leaning redshirt right now...especially if Gabe, Blackson, Whit, and Bradley develop a good rotation.

His blend of size and first step is rare. No other DT on the roster has that.

His blend of size and first step is rare. No other DT on the roster has that.

Agreed but the difference in the physicality between Georgia class A high school guards and centers to SEC is huge. especially since he has not faced anything close to that since the Georgia Junior Bowl after his junior season a year and a half ago.

He may be the real deal, but questions still remain as to whether he'll be physically ready for SEC football this fall.

If things remain the same we are in big trouble. I think if the new staff can correct 2 important areas then a lot of the other problems you listed can be eliminated. Improvement in strength and in playing too high will give us a puncher's chance.

I think E. Daniel needs to play this year as well, even if it's just special teams and garbage time. That way he and Lawson would both return with a little experience in 2014 after we lose Ford, Carter, Sanders and Eguae.

Depending on how Delaine, President and Harrell (injured) progress, it may be wise to sign a juco DE in the next class too.

IMO if Carter, Sanders, and Eguae improve this offseason as much as I expect them to under Coach Gardner, we can afford to play E. Daniel and RS Carl Lawson. The more time he has with Coach Russell, the better IMO.

Also, I think that E. Daniel will come in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He was a 5 star recruit and one of our biggest flips on signing day (along with Peyton Barber), yet he is not talked about nearly as much as Carl is (I understand that Carl is a freakish athlete, but still). My prediction is that he comes into fall camp ready to prove that he deserved every bit of that 5 star ranking.

This DL class was fantastic, and I will look for Gus & Co. to work on another good DL class for 2014.

IMO if Carter, Sanders, and Eguae improve this offseason as much as I expect them to under Coach Gardner, we can afford to play E. Daniel and RS Carl Lawson. The more time he has with Coach Russell, the better IMO.

Also, I think that E. Daniel will come in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He was a 5 star recruit and one of our biggest flips on signing day (along with Peyton Barber), yet he is not talked about nearly as much as Carl is (I understand that Carl is a freakish athlete, but still). My prediction is that he comes into fall camp ready to prove that he deserved every bit of that 5 star ranking.

This DL class was fantastic, and I will look for Gus & Co. to work on another good DL class for 2014.

you must be CRAZY to think RS'ing Lawson is a good idea!!! So we RS him and risk losing him after only getting 2 yrs of on-field production??? No thanks! He'll probably play a ton this yr and start the next 2 before leaving early. He's THAT good.

Carl L. will not redshirt. We need all the help we can get on defense. I hope everyone improves on the d line but CL will start during 2013.

Remember how crazy I was when I told everyone when he commited he would play as a FR? Kinda like the Payne kid will in 2015 if he signs with AU. If he nuts up and goes west maybe he doesn't but it won't be because he couldn't hack it physically.

you must be CRAZY to think RS'ing Lawson is a good idea!!! So we RS him and risk losing him after only getting 2 yrs of on-field production??? No thanks! He'll probably play a ton this yr and start the next 2 before leaving early. He's THAT good.

I agree. Lawson is a freak. His first few steps are as fast as anyone in college today (opinion). He needs to get on the field this year. Lawson should work with Coach Russell, but Carl is already crazy strong.

I still think Lawson starts game one. I think that end is a lot like RB in that it's one of the positions that scheme is less important than being physically ready. CL is 260 and still has crazy speed, physically he is probably better than the ends we have now other than Ford. Russell will improve that, but it's not like Lawson needs a year in the program to get ready. He just needs a little tune up before playing.

I still think Lawson starts game one.

I mainly agree with this because game 1 is versus pass happy Wazzu. If game 1 were against a run team my guess is Carter would start.

I think a good comparison for Carl Lawson based upon size and speed is Dwight Freeney. I can remember the pass rushing terror he was at Syracuse.

I think a good comparison for Carl Lawson based upon size and speed is Dwight Freeney. I can remember the pass rushing terror he was at Syracuse.

A sentiment shared by many football experts.

I still think Lawson starts game one. I think that end is a lot like RB in that it's one of the positions that scheme is less important than being physically ready. CL is 260 and still has crazy speed, physically he is probably better than the ends we have now other than Ford. Russell will improve that, but it's not like Lawson needs a year in the program to get ready. He just needs a little tune up before playing.

No matter how good he is, it would be better to ease him into the rotation. He DOES have 2 SR's(Eguae & Carter) who have a ton of gameday experience. Turn him loose on obvious passing downs and increase the workload from there...

D line should have a big day vs. Wash St. From Joel Erickson: Washington State has to find improvement from a unit that allowed a whopping 57 sacks in 12 games last season, and Leach said in a post-spring teleconference that if the season started immediately after spring ball, Washington State would have four of five starters who were either current or former walk-ons.

I got the impression from the way Gus talked about him right after signing day that he'll see the field early and often, perhaps along the lines of an easing in like FastCompany describes above.

Personally, before the season ends, I would not be surprised to see Carl Lawson start. He is one talented DE!

However, we are pretty deep at DE, so it is still possible he redshirt.

we moved a defensive tackle to end in spring ball. lets just say the spot for the other end opposite ford is wide open and i expect lawson to win it by seasons end.

Archived