2013 Class Enrollment List

ellitor

That's two of our four WR recruits down the drain. True, we have numbers there... Just as true, not one of them has shown the ability to be a starting WR on a winning SEC team. What we have is a list of names that have not done anything yet and several of them have had more than one year to show something,. Quan Bray has been the best of the lot and you won't find him on any pre-season all SEC teams.

We haven't seen much of them because we have had a total of 500 passing yards since Cam left. We have talent and numbers at WR. And by my count, ER is the only WR that might not make it in this years class. All two other WR's are in already.

We have 3 WRs getting in. Marcus Davis was recruited as a Slot.

And Jason Smith was going to try out at QB this year. He was not going to play WR this year. That's why I didn't count him. 3 out of 4.

Smith was promised an "opportunity" to try QB. In past years when such promises have been made in similar situations, the "opportunity" lasted about two weeks. He'd have been at WR before opening day.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow at the players we didn't get over the past few years. Could make a hell of a team with the ones that either didn't make it, left the team, or got kicked off.

It is a little nuts. I try not to dwell on it however, it just gives me a migrane you couldn't kill with all the oxycontin in Athens!!

Or all the crystal meth in Knoxville...

or the shake and bake in Gainsville

You Sure? There is a lot of meth in Knoxville.....

This would be the most humorous post ever posted were it not so true.

Earnest Robinson update

The mercurial Earnest Robinson needs to put up one more clutch showing of impressive numbers in the fourth quarter to step onto the practice field this fall at Auburn.

But this time it will have nothing to do with a fade route or extending beyond a safety's reach for an over-the-top catch in the state playoffs.

Simply put, he's got to make three A's in three summer school classes as part of a credit recovery program at Center Point High School.

If he doesn't make those grades, he will not be at Auburn this fall.

Robinson, according to Pinson Valley head coach Matt Glover, needs to replace three classes he received a "D" grade in during high school with an "A" in order to qualify to enroll at Auburn and join the football team on scholarship in August.

He mentioned a world history course as one of the courses Robinson would need to excel in this summer to make that happen.

"I hate this for Earnest," Glover said. "He's a good kid, but he's just getting a real big dose of life right now. If he wants to go play college football at Auburn right away, he's really going to have to earn it this summer."

Glover said that the 6-foot-2, 200-pound receiver has signed with East Mississippi Junior College as a backup plan if he does not qualify. He said a prep school is also a possibility.

"Its the difference of him having to go three semesters at a junior college before he could go to Auburn versus just needing to go to a prep school for a year," Glover said.

Robinson finished his senior season with 51 catches for 900 yards and 12 touchdowns. He reeled in 106 catches for 1,976 yards and 33 catches in his prep career.

He was rated a four-star receiver by 247sports.com, ESPN, and Rivals.com. Scout.com pegged him as a three-star player.

None of those numbers matter right now as much as those on his academic transcript. Glover said Robinson's sub-2.0 grade-point average and a 19 on his ACT mean he must use the NCAA's "sliding scale" to become eligible with an approximate 2.1 GPA in order to become an Auburn Tiger this fall.

Glover said summer school would last through July. If Robinson qualifies, he won't likely be able to join the Auburn team until the first week of August.

He committed to Auburn way back in February of 2012. How good of a prospect was he? Robinson was offered by both Alabama and Auburn prior to his junior season.

"I hope the kid can do it," Glover said. "I really do. There's the unknown in junior college. What if he gets hurt? What if he plays poorly and has one bad season? Do the SEC schools still want him? There's the chance of him getting lost in the shuffle or falling through the cracks if he goes to junior college. His future is just not as certain if he has to go that route." Link

So pretty much wont know til late July if Earnest will be on the team or not correct?

In the workout video Peyton Barber said he'd come to Auburn with Carl Lawson on June, 18. I noticed he's still a "no show" on the arrival list. Did something happen?

An aside for those commenting about Auburn's problems getting recruits qualified, and UAT's skating by - take a look at the average qualifications of all students going to the two universities. I was in a meeting with the Dean of the School of Engineering and learned the average entering engineering ACT score is now 28. Every year our situation for entrance requirements with UAT becomes more like Vandy/UT. There are a lot of reasons, but back to football.

That's two of our four WR recruits down the drain. True, we have numbers there... Just as true, not one of them has shown the ability to be a starting WR on a winning SEC team. What we have is a list of names that have not done anything yet and several of them have had more than one year to show something,. Quan Bray has been the best of the lot and you won't find him on any pre-season all SEC teams.

We haven't seen much of them because we have had a total of 500 passing yards since Cam left. We have talent and numbers at WR. And by my count, ER is the only WR that might not make it in this years class. All two other WR's are in already.

And Jason Smith was going to try out at QB this year. He was not going to play WR this year. That's why I didn't count him. 3 out of 4.

Smith was promised an "opportunity" to try QB. In past years when such promises have been made in similar situations, the "opportunity" lasted about two weeks. He'd have been at WR before opening day.

With many players wanting college just to be a stepping stone to "the show" I'm very surprised Jason wants to stay at QB.

In the workout video Peyton Barber said he'd come to Auburn with Carl Lawson on June, 18. I noticed he's still a "no show" on the arrival list. Did something happen?

According to his parents they are waiting for something to go through. They expect him on Sunday now.

So pretty much wont know til late July if Earnest will be on the team or not correct?

Technically correct but his odds are long at best.

With many players wanting college just to be a stepping stone to "the show" I'm very surprised Jason wants to stay at QB.

He is a WR, if he didnt want to play the position he would not have dominated at an allstar game at that position. I really want him at AU. I wish him luck on getting here.

Bryan Matthews

84 minutes ago

Nick Marshall remains on track to report to Auburn in the next few days and start school on Monday. The same for the rest of Auburn's signees other than J Smith and E Robinson.

This post was edited by Bryan Matthews on 6/20/2013 at 10:45 PM

link: http://auburn.247spo...hall-19438767/1

No offense to J Smith but I want a QB that doesn't have a problem making the grades to get in school. I'm sure he's a good person, you Just have to have the intelligence to play the postion, can't just be football smart to play QB in the SEC

No offense to J Smith but I want a QB that doesn't have a problem making the grades to get in school. I'm sure he's a good person, you Just have to have the intelligence to play the postion, can't just be football smart to play QB in the SEC

Not making good grades is not necessarily indicative of a lack of intelligence. There could be extenuating circumstances that led to Jason's issue. Without knowing more, I think it's presumptive to assume he lacks the intelligence to play QB.

Besides there are many guys who have excelled as QBs that aren't exactly a bunch of "Norman Einsteins".

So we know J.Smith is doing prep school. What would E-Rob's plan be if he doesnt get the grades needed? Prep or a quick JUCO stay?

So do you not want Nick Marshall to be our QB? He got kicked out of school for not making an intelligent choice. Grades in the classroom and football smarts do not go hand in hand always.

What are the pros and cons of Jucos vs. Prep please?

Prep does not affect your 5 year play clock. Juco takes at least 2 years off the clock.

What are the pros and cons of Jucos vs. Prep please?

There are different requirements. Some that don't qualify can get themselves back on track with one semester of prep school. Many others have to go to two years of JUCO and graduate first before they are eligible.

Every guy's situation is different. In general, guys that can correct their situation with prep school are academically ahead of the guys that have to go the JUCO route. Almost all that have an option would choose prep school but some have no option except JUCO.

1 more question please. Why would someone not be eligibilie for prep? It sounds like a smart move.

I think it has to do with how much work they have to do to get qualified. Some guys are so far behind, they can't get there with just 1 year at a prep school.

1 more question please. Why would someone not be eligibilie for prep? It sounds like a smart move.

The biggest part of Prep is to prepare students to take the ACT/SAT if they had a low score. E-Rob had a 19 on the ACT which is not that low, but with the NCAA sliding scale you have to have a 2.1 GPA to get to a 4 year school with that ACT score. His GPA is 1.8. If E-Rob chose prep school he would have to take the ACT score quite a bit to balance the 1.8. If he did not improve his score enough he would have to go to juco anyway.

Archived