President Gogue Statement on Athletics Department Review

RunInRed

Wow are the pro JJ contingent out today. Know you are the minority. When I say minority, I mean like 2-3 of you. We, I would think, are some of the most rabid AU fans there are; on this site. It is 98% against ever letting JJ back into his office. And yes, absolutely I am a rational person. I dont need inside information to know what has happen to the only thing that he has to do in his life beside breath and that is AU athletics (at an all time low if you were not paying attention). We get caught up with high hopes and are alway excited about the future here. I look back at the posts we all made last year at this time and shake my head. Plain and simple, he is not doing his job. He is one of the higher paid to do that particular job in the nation. I am willing to fully hear your argument, but only after you give me examples of this type of management done specific to college football ADs. I already tried to make the argument you are making comparing AU athletics to Corporate business. But my point is, he would have been out a year ago as the CEO, or COO. Corporate Business boards don't fail to win at all major functions of their business.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PoetTiger, methinks you are WAAAAAAAAAAY of the mark with the baseball team. I mean, not even in the same universe.

Series wins against ole miss and UF and currently elgible for SEC tournament....like I said they started playing worth a crap these past few weekends....

We get caught up with high hopes and are alway excited about the future here. I look back at the posts we all made last year at this time and shake my head.

+1

True words.

Get caught up in high hopes, dish out praise to coaches and players before they ever actually prove a damn thing on the field/court, etc. And when the season doesn't quite pan out and end up as something "special" we easily overlook it and ease our feelings by saying, well they "exceeded expectaions", so all is well and on to next year.

I admit, I've gotten caught up in the euphoria in the past. It's an easy thing to do ~ until your hopes get shot to the curb over and over. ;)

We get caught up with high hopes and are alway excited about the future here. I look back at the posts we all made last year at this time and shake my head.

+1

True words.

Get caught up in high hopes, dish out praise to coaches and players before they ever actually prove a damn thing on the field/court, etc. And when the season doesn't quite pan out and end up as something "special" we easily overlook it and ease our feelings by saying, well they "exceeded expectaions", so all is well and on to next year.

I admit, I've gotten caught up in the euphoria in the past. It's an easy thing to do ~ until your hopes get shot to the curb over and over. ;)

Then moderate your hopes. What is pretty funny to me is this time last year most of the sunshine pumpers were thinking AU had a legitimate shot at the West but then when the team tanks they want to run JJ. LOL. Historically, Auburn has shown a tendency to break a lot of hearts. Sure we have some incredible moments and and memories for the ages but consistency has never been Auburn's strong suit.

+1

True words.

I admit, I've gotten caught up in the euphoria in the past. It's an easy thing to do ~ until your hopes get shot to the curb over and over. ;)/>

Then moderate your hopes. What is pretty funny to me is this time last year most of the sunshine pumpers were thinking AU had a legitimate shot at the West but then when the team tanks they want to run JJ. LOL. Historically, Auburn has shown a tendency to break a lot of hearts. Sure we have some incredible moments and and memories for the ages but consistency has never been Auburn's strong suit.

I remember someone saying " it's gonna be great to get back to an old traditional offense" that's how ya win, and I am glad Chiz saw the light" my favorite "lefty coached Tom Brady" his pedigree is good as it is for an OC....I did not expect 3-9 but did not expect 10-2 either.......AU had a RS left tackle, no returning starter at QB or RB, sophomore center, just you much youth and inexperience in key positions to seriously expect a marquee season for 2012 add that to two new coordinators, and new systems - bad football season....

+1

True words.

I admit, I've gotten caught up in the euphoria in the past. It's an easy thing to do ~ until your hopes get shot to the curb over and over. ;)/>

I remember someone saying " it's gonna be great to get back to an old traditional offense" that's how ya win, and I am glad Chiz saw the light" my favorite "lefty coached Tom Brady" his pedigree is good as it is for an OC....I did not expect 3-9 but did not expect 10-2 either.......AU had a RS left tackle, no returning starter at QB or RB, sophomore center, just you much youth and inexperience in key positions to seriously expect a marquee season for 2012 add that to two new coordinators, and new systems - bad football season....

Solution ? Obviously, run JJ :hellyeah:

+1

True words.

Solution ? Obviously, run JJ :hellyeah:

Comments on this string of posts:

1. Lets see what Loeffler does at VT before be make a final decision on his suckness as an OC. VanGorder was a damn good DC at UGA and a decent one for the Falcons. AU's D also sucked out loud in 2013. I don't believe VanGorder is a bad coach. Chizik and the staff already in place when both Loeffler and VanGorder were hired had, IMO, as much to do with the play of the O and D on the field as did Loeffler and VanGorder.

2. A traditional O (as well as any O) will work if you have a competent HC and staff that can implement the system. We had an incompetent HC (who eventually lived up to his 5-19 ISU record) who ran the program deep into the ground both on and off of the field. No OC/DC or offensive system or defensive system could compensate for how bad Chizik and his core staff were.

3. Blaming Jay Jacobs for the tanking of the football team in 2011 and 2012 is shortsighted. Jay Jacobs was incompetent as an AD BEFORE he was hired as AD, has proven to be incompetent as an AD BEFORE the 2011/2012 football season and is still incompetent as an AD. Simply, JJ should have never been hired in the first place and nothing has changed to refute that.

wde

+1

True words.

Solution ? Obviously, run JJ :hellyeah:/>

Comments on this string of posts:

1. Lets see what Loeffler does at VT before be make a final decision on his suckness as an OC. VanGorder was a damn good DC at UGA and a decent one for the Falcons. AU's D also sucked out loud in 2013. I don't believe VanGorder is a bad coach. Chizik and the staff already in place when both Loeffler and VanGorder were hired had, IMO, as much to do with the play of the O and D on the field as did Loeffler and VanGorder.

2. A traditional O (as well as any O) will work if you have a competent HC and staff that can implement the system. We had an incompetent HC (who eventually lived up to his 5-19 ISU record) who ran the program deep into the ground both on and off of the field. No OC/DC or offensive system or defensive system could compensate for how bad Chizik and his core staff were.

3. Blaming Jay Jacobs for the tanking of the football team in 2011 and 2012 is shortsighted. Jay Jacobs was incompetent as an AD BEFORE he was hired as AD, has proven to be incompetent as an AD BEFORE the 2011/2012 football season and is still incompetent as an AD. Simply, JJ should have never been hired in the first place and nothing has changed to refute that.

wde

I want to believe in CSL and maybe he will prove me wrong, but it seemed he had a playbook of 20 plays. Could have been a result of Chiz meddling...Who knows... I don't think he is a bad OC, otherwise Beamer would not have hired him. No personnel for the system he wanted to run. And yes BVG is a proved DC. The post was about expectations and how they had to be tempered in light of new coordinators on both sides of the ball plus the youth of the team as a whole.

Remember that JJ went behind the back of the BOTand hired a 5-19 coach head coach. Gene had 1 GREAT year with the SEC & National Championship, but what did he do in his to in those (3) years? 8-5, 8-5, 3-9. JJ & TJ should have been fire when Chizik was fired.

Remember that JJ went behind the back of the BOT and hired a 5-19 coach head coach. Gene had 1 GREAT year with the SEC & National Championship, but what did he do in his to in those (3) years? 8-5, 8-5, 3-9. JJ & TJ should have been fire when Chizik was fired.

What a clueless comment. JJ works for the President of the University not the BOT and the President works for the BOT. So...did JJ get reprimanded by the President or did the President get reprimanded by the BOT for hiring Chiz? Of course not. It was the BOT micromanaging university business that got AU in trouble over accreditation.

Archived