President Gogue Statement on Athletics Department Review

RunInRed

All of you whiners who want Jay Jacobs fired are just brilliant. After Selena Roberts and ESPN, firing the AD would be tantamount to admitting they were right all along.

So you say we should just remain in the depths of mediocrity so we can tell the rest of the nation "see, we told you so"? We finished dead last in the enire conf. in football. We finished dead last in basketball. We are in the bottom quarter in baseball. Yes JJ is making money for us, but how much does that have to do with the fanbase and not JJ? I haven't seen anybody ever say JJ is not a good person. It's just the product, as a whole, of Auburn athletics is at an all time low, as far as my pushing fifty years goes. I have talked to relatives who are in their 80's, to a person they say they have never seen things so bad as a whole. This is from Family and gump family alike. It sucks, but facts are facts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it's time to replace Jay Gouge. He could care less about how things have gotton with our Athletics since JJ's been the AD.

I know pretty much everyone here hates JJ, but if you look at this from a neutral, management perspective, it really looks to me like the committee is on point. They note the current positives... that Auburn is one of the few schools that is actually profitable in athletics and that we currently are at the highest level that we've ever been, academically. They point out that our compliance is excellent, several of our programs are very successful, and that we are finally actively defending the university against baseless claims. Finally, our facilities can compete with any in the nation. No matter how you look at it, that's some major positives.

They then point out the negatives that need fixing. The obvious is, of course, more wins for the major sports, but they note that this has been addressed with some coaching changes that currently look to be very positive. They also note the need to work on the game day experience, which means they have heard that people do not like a lot of the changes. Then they mention better communication with the alumni and fans. That sounds to me like they are hearing what we are saying and giving JJ the opportunity

to successfully address the issues that are now before him. Of course, the other thing you might gleen from this list is that all of these issues are centered on the fans. Sure, indirectly, the happiness of the fans can reduce income, but overall, the needs of Auburn are being met and we are the squeaky wheel. We want our desires to be catered to and we want heads to roll when they aren't. It's kind of sad, really.

As a manager, I have to say, the committee seems to have recommended a very sound business approach to the issues. Changing leadership would slow all of these processes down and really just be catering to the angry, pitchfork toting mob. It sounds to me like JJ has a very clear picture of what is expected and the leash is very short. In fact, if you read between the lines, it seems to me that he was very likely presented with an ultimatum to meet the expectations or face the consequences.

So, I suggest those of you who are disappointed that no blood was spilled this go around, relax and see how things play out. After all, if JJ can pull it off, are you going to be upset? If you say "yes, then you need to check your priorities. If he can't, then you will get what you want, and Auburn will probably be more prepared to move on at that point.

We have to be one of the only fan bases in the country, with a successful past, that are so satisfied with losing!

JJ can put our AD in the tank, have quality coaches refuse to work for him, embarrass us nationally, (bed-checks, arrest) promote and employ idiots, (Jackson) yet keep his job, and so many of you are fine with it!

As has been said numerous times on this and other threads, the financial success (that allows for the beatiful facilities) has little to do with JJ, and alot to do with a very successful and very dedicated fan base! How much money has JJ personally raised?

I know pretty much everyone here hates JJ, but if you look at this from a neutral, management perspective, it really looks to me like the committee is on point. They note the current positives... that Auburn is one of the few schools that is actually profitable in athletics and that we currently are at the highest level that we've ever been, academically. They point out that our compliance is excellent, several of our programs are very successful, and that we are finally actively defending the university against baseless claims. Finally, our facilities can compete with any in the nation. No matter how you look at it, that's some major positives.

They then point out the negatives that need fixing. The obvious is, of course, more wins for the major sports, but they note that this has been addressed with some coaching changes that currently look to be very positive. They also note the need to work on the game day experience, which means they have heard that people do not like a lot of the changes. Then they mention better communication with the alumni and fans. That sounds to me like they are hearing what we are saying and giving JJ the opportunity

to successfully address the issues that are now before him. Of course, the other thing you might gleen from this list is that all of these issues are centered on the fans. Sure, indirectly, the happiness of the fans can reduce income, but overall, the needs of Auburn are being met and we are the squeaky wheel. We want our desires to be catered to and we want heads to roll when they aren't. It's kind of sad, really.

As a manager, I have to say, the committee seems to have recommended a very sound business approach to the issues. Changing leadership would slow all of these processes down and really just be catering to the angry, pitchfork toting mob. It sounds to me like JJ has a very clear picture of what is expected and the leash is very short. In fact, if you read between the lines, it seems to me that he was very likely presented with an ultimatum to meet the expectations or face the consequences.

So, I suggest those of you who are disappointed that no blood was spilled this go around, relax and see how things play out. After all, if JJ can pull it off, are you going to be upset? If you say "yes, then you need to check your priorities. If he can't, then you will get what you want, and Auburn will probably be more prepared to move on at that point.

We have to be one of the only fan bases in the country, with a successful past, that are so satisfied with losing!

JJ can put our AD in the tank, have quality coaches refuse to work for him, embarrass us nationally, (bed-checks, arrest) promote and employ idiots, (Jackson) yet keep his job, and so many of you are fine with it!

As has been said numerous times on this and other threads, the financial success (that allows for the beatiful facilities) has little to do with JJ, and alot to do with a very successful and very dedicated fan base! How much money has JJ personally raised?

+1

And some folks think the fanbase needs to "check our priorities" and sit back & "relax and see how things play out"?

It's very obvious that someone in the Auburn Administration has been sitting back and relaxing way too much for the salaries they are pulling in these days. Where the heck have their priorities been placed while the major AU sports programs have become the laughing stock of the conference?

+1

And some folks think the fanbase needs to "check our priorities" and sit back & "relax and see how things play out"?

It's very obvious that someone in the Auburn Administration has been sitting back and relaxing way too much for the salaries they are pulling in these days. Where the heck have their priorities been placed while the major AU sports programs have become the laughing stock of the conference?

If you will re-read what I wrote, keesler, you will say that I think people need to check their priorities if they will be upset if JJ ends up solving the problems. If that it the case, then it's not about the success of the program and has devolved into a personal vendetta. As for seeing how things play out... none of us know what's going on behind closed doors, so jumping to conclusions based on a couple of statements to the press is a naive move at best.

As to 24's statement, that you so graciously highlighted, about being satisfied with losing... that all depends on your view of losing. We're not losing when it comes to being financially stable (and no, I don't care how much money JJ has personally raised... his oversight of Tigers Unlimited has apparently paid off, as have some of the other changes he has made over the years), we're not losing when it comes to academics, we're not losing when it comes to compliance and doing things the right way, and as of recently, we're no longer losing in the press. What we have is one really bad year on the field/court and a couple of average years, with a national championship in our #1 sport thrown in there for good measure. Sure, there have been other notable problems with other coaches and other sports, but it sounds to me like JJ has been tasked with fixing those problems. In my line of work, we call that a Performance Improvement Plan. Being on one of those means you now know what you need to fix and you better get it fixed or the next thing you get is a pink slip. You could argue that this should have happened earlier, but as someone with no intimate knowledge of what's really going on behind the scenes, you can't legitimately argue that Gouge made the wrong move, has ulterior motives, or is incompetent.

If some of you ever get into a leadership role, I hope you first learn that firing someone isn't always the best way to solve a problem.

I have a hard time trusting Someone who brought us to this level to being us back out.

+1

If you will re-read what I wrote, keesler, you will say that I think people need to check their priorities if they will be upset if JJ ends up solving the problems. If that it the case, then it's not about the success of the program and has devolved into a personal vendetta. As for seeing how things play out... none of us know what's going on behind closed doors, so jumping to conclusions based on a couple of statements to the press is a naive move at best.

As to 24's statement, that you so graciously highlighted, about being satisfied with losing... that all depends on your view of losing. We're not losing when it comes to being financially stable (and no, I don't care how much money JJ has personally raised... his oversight of Tigers Unlimited has apparently paid off, as have some of the other changes he has made over the years), we're not losing when it comes to academics, we're not losing when it comes to compliance and doing things the right way, and as of recently, we're no longer losing in the press. What we have is one really bad year on the field/court and a couple of average years, with a national championship in our #1 sport thrown in there for good measure. Sure, there have been other notable problems with other coaches and other sports, but it sounds to me like JJ has been tasked with fixing those problems. In my line of work, we call that a Performance Improvement Plan. Being on one of those means you now know what you need to fix and you better get it fixed or the next thing you get is a pink slip. You could argue that this should have happened earlier, but as someone with no intimate knowledge of what's really going on behind the scenes, you can't legitimately argue that Gouge made the wrong move, has ulterior motives, or is incompetent.

If some of you ever get into a leadership role, I hope you first learn that firing someone isn't always the best way to solve a problem.

Please accept my apology for taking bits and pieces of your post and pulling them out to make derogatory comments like I made in my post above.

I appreciate that Auburn is finacially stable, academically in the upper echelon, and consistantly meets and exceeds all compliance issues. I do feel that no one wants AU athletics to succeed more than Jay Jacobs, he is "AUBURN" to his very core. Simply stated, I have little faith in JJ's ability turn these programs into respectible, competitive programs when we have seen them fall to the depths they currently reside while under his leadership.

I understand now and from past experience that as an AU alum, I must accept what the AU Administration dishes out to the Family. And, in time I'm sure I will fall in line and put my support behind Jacobs/Gouge just like I have done many times in the past with the various people in the administration. I can't help but give my support and lay my wallet wide open to my school, as my core is O&B just like JJ's.

Again, accept my apology. Often times I let my irritation get the best of me, especially on the interwebzzzzz.

Please accept my apology for taking bits and pieces of your post and pulling them out to make derogatory comments like I made in my post above.

I appreciate that Auburn is finacially stable, academically in the upper echelon, and consistantly meets and exceeds all compliance issues. I do feel that no one wants AU athletics to succeed more than Jay Jacobs, he is "AUBURN" to his very core. Simply stated, I have little faith in JJ's ability turn these programs into respectible, competitive programs when we have seen them fall to the depths they currently reside while under his leadership.

I understand now and from past experience that as an AU alum, I must accept what the AU Administration dishes out to the Family. And, in time I'm sure I will fall in line and put my support behind Jacobs/Gouge just like I have done many times in the past with the various people in the administration. I can't help but give my support and lay my wallet wide open to my school, as my core is O&B just like JJ's.

Again, accept my apology. Often times I let my irritation get the best of me, especially on the interwebzzzzz.

I really appreciate what you wrote, and hey... we're all in this together. I just hope that they find solutions quickly and don't hesitate to make the hard choices when they do arise. It sucks being in a state of transition/uncertainty.

As we always say after a hard loss on the field, "War Eagle anyway... it's great to be an Auburn Tiger."

+1

+++ but looks like we are in a minority. And if Gus doesn't get it done it will be JJ's fault of course.

+++ but looks like we are in a minority. And if Gus doesn't get it done it will be JJ's fault of course.

What's the hardest of all is how high the bar has risen during the last 4 years. When your arch rival wins 3 out of 4, even when you won the other one, people's expectations get really high. Which begs the question, how do we measure whether Gus has gotten it done? My fear is that a lot of people have gotten so worked up that anything less than multiple National Championships will be considered failure.

I will say this, if ANYONE can make our basketball team a national contender for more than one year in a row, they will have definitely gotten it done.

What's the hardest of all is how high the bar has risen during the last 4 years. When your arch rival wins 3 out of 4, even when you won the other one, people's expectations get really high. Which begs the question, how do we measure whether Gus has gotten it done? My fear is that a lot of people have gotten so worked up that anything less than multiple National Championships will be considered failure.

I will say this, if ANYONE can make our basketball team a national contender for more than one year in a row, they will have definitely gotten it done.

The expectations are indeed sky high for Auburn.

Our biggest rivals are competing for championships with regularity -- -- UAT/UGA/LSU, and they all have experienced/seasoned coaches behind the wheel that are entrenched in their program. Now we have a new kid on the block gunning for a top spot with a rockstar QB, and a coach that will take on any team that comes his way - their administration is putting a ton of that Texas oil money behind that program and they plan to make a big splash in the SEC for years to come.

Hang on guys, we are at the bottom of the roller-coaster ride today and we are slowly clawing our way back up to the top.

Again, and for the last time (at least for me) if you feel AU's financial success is due to JJ you are mistaken.

Speaking of success, I have been in management for over 20 years now (Thanks in large part to my BA and MBA from AU) and I assure you, a book can be written on JJ's and Dr G's mismanagement of the AU AD!! Neither have the public speaking ability, leadership nor management skills to work for me, let alone the work ethic. Just ask several of the top coaching candidates who will not even interview for work at AU because of JJ and that complete moronic idiot, Jackson that JJ insist on employing and promoting!

If you don't believe the coaches maybe you can ask the current players that Jackson asked to: "Pray for JJ, Chiz and myself, because our jobs may be at stake" Is that senior leadership to you? Is that how your company or business operates? Is that how your senior leadership talks to subordinates?

If you choose to ignore the problems in the AD because we have very wealthy and successful Alum that are very generous when it comes to AU giving, that is your business, but please do not make it out that JJ is a good leader or I know nothing about leadership!

War Eagle!

Again, and for the last time (at least for me) if you feel AU's financial success is due to JJ you are mistaken.

Speaking of success, I have been in management for over 20 years now (Thanks in large part to my BA and MBA from AU) and I assure you, a book can be written on JJ's and Dr G's mismanagement of the AU AD!! Neither have the public speaking ability, leadership nor management skills to work for me, let alone the work ethic. Just ask several of the top coaching candidates who will not even interview for work at AU because of JJ and that complete moronic idiot, Jackson that JJ insist on employing and promoting!

If you don't believe the coaches maybe you can ask the current players that Jackson asked to: "Pray for JJ, Chiz and myself, because our jobs may be at stake" Is that senior leadership to you? Is that how your company or business operates? Is that how your senior leadership talks to subordinates?

If you choose to ignore the problems in the AD because we have very wealthy and successful Alum that are very generous when it comes to AU giving, that is your business, but please do not make it out that JJ is a good leader or I know nothing about leadership!

War Eagle!

This is dead-on correct. Now, ask yourselves why Auburn's admin has such a dearth of eloquent speakers and adequate leadership? My response is that they were not hired to speak or lead but to take orders! If Auburn ever had a president or an AD who told the backroom powerbrokers to get lost and take their money with them... well, at least I can daydream.

War Eagle!

I agree 24. I think the rationale that some are using to support JJ now, is the same thing that was and could have been used to give Chizik 1 more year. Some people are just afraid of change, so they rationalize. Considering all areas of the football program, do people think we are in better or worse shape with Gus and his staff now, compared to where we would be with Chizik and company ? They will say that we have Gus now, but forget that the only reason we do is because it was either going to be JJ's or Chizik's butt on the line, or both if he had done nothing. He chose his own butt.

They want to tell us that JJ has his marching orders and this "management" plan now, but forget that JJ had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get to this point. He didn't listen to the fans' uproar about the program. He didn't listen to their complaints about the silence, concerning the false claims, coming from the AD's office for 2 years. No, it took the worst season in 60 years, his own job on the line, and a serious riot act read to him to force any kind of change. A good AD, or any employee for that matter, doesn't need to be forced to do their job, most especially at $ 600K/year.

An AD can hire a good accountant to keep the program in the black. He can hire a good facilities manager to keep the buildings looking nice. AU needs a good AD that knows how to protect Auburn, hire the right coaches, negotiate decent contracts and put winning AU programs out there. Yes and not only in football, much could be written about the present status of the other AU sports as well.

So 24, they can excuse us for not being impressed. Personally, I was in management for 35 years and retired from my own company after 25 years. I am sure JJ is a great guy but that is not even close to being the issue. I would not have tolerated this performance and would have fired JJ well before now. But, others are tasked with that responsibility and will have to live with the results and consequences. Let the chips fall where they may.

So let it be written so let it be done.

I am so past frustrated, I am in acceptance of our embracing mediocrity .

That doing things wrong for the sake of not doing anything right is JABA.

It is about making money, but it is also about doing something well while we make money.

JABA.

I have learned to accept it.

I will support the positives of my school.

Those are separate from our AD.

Helluva note though, JABA.

If you don't believe the coaches maybe you can ask the current players that Jackson asked to: "Pray for JJ, Chiz and myself, because our jobs may be at stake" Is that senior leadership to you? Is that how your company or business operates? Is that how your senior

leadership talks to subordinates?

War Eagle!

I agree 24. I think the rationale that some are using to support JJ now, is the same thing that was and could have been used

to give Chizik 1 more year. Some people are just afraid of change, so they rationalize. Considering all areas of the football program, do people think we are in better or worse shape with Gus and his staff now compared to where we would be with Chizik and company ? They will say that we have Gus now, but forget that the only reason we do is because it was either going to be JJ's or Chizik's butt on the line, or both if he had done nothing. He chose his own butt.

They want to tell us that JJ has his marching orders and this "management" plan now, but forget that JJ had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get to this point. He didn't listen to the fans' uproar about the program. He didnt listen to their complaints about the

silence on the false claims from the AD's office for 2 years. No, it took the worst season in 60 years, his own job on the line and a serious riot act read to him to force any kind of change. A good AD, or any employee for that matter, doesn't need to be forced to do their job, most especially at 600K/year.

An AD can hire a good accountant to keep the program in the black. He can hire a good facilities manager to keep the buildings looking nice. Give me an AD that knows how to protect Auburn, hire the right coaches, negotiate decent contracts and put winning AU programs out there. We could write a book about the present status of the other AU sports too.

So 24, they can excuse us for not being impressed. Personally, I was in management for 35 years and retired from my own company

after 25 years. I am sure JJ is a great guy but that is not even close to being the issue. I would not have tolerated this performance and would have fired JJ well before now. But, others are tasked with that responsibility and will have to live with the results and consequences. Let the chips fall where they may.

You make some very good points, and not just because you agree with me, just good points! Very well written, thanks!!

Just read all JJ and JG and Crawford statements for the first time. Sooooo... Apparently it's OK to be a doormat in virtually every sport as long as we are still making money. Why don't they just change the Athletic Department to the AU Fundraising Department??

War Eagle!

Good leaders don't get put on performance improvement plans, but that is how some learn and become good leaders. I think JJ has potential, and his handling of the recent media issues has shown me he's willing to change and learn. Will he ever be the best AD to work in college football... probably not, but there are only a handful of top ADs and a lot of schools to choose from.

I will respectfully disagree with you on whether Dr. Gouge is a good leader.

Our football hasn't done anything since 2010. Our basketball and baseball teams hasn't done much to write home about. Is everybody on the Plains under Jacobs spell? Besides, when your AD goes around and tells the football players to pray that he doesn't get fired, what does that say about the AD?

They actually had a good discussion on the drive time show on Jox today (not a great show btw). The two hosts had differing opinions. I agreed with the one that had the opinion if you have to bring in committees to do his job, he should lose his job. If that is not the case, at least take what we are paying the committees and deduct it from his pay. How backward is paying a man to do a job and then hiring others to do it for him? I think JJ has something on JG or AU. Rational people don't make decisions like these.

They actually had a good discussion on the drive time show on Jox today (not a great show btw). The two hosts had differing opinions. I agreed with the one that had the opinion if you have to bring in committees to do his job, he should lose his job. If that is not the case, at least take what we are paying the committees and deduct it from his pay. How backward is paying a man to do a job and then hiring others to do it for him? I think JJ has something on JG or AU. Rational people don't make decisions like these.

So you are the only rational person able to decide how this should be done....and yet you don't have any inside knowledge of any conversations or discussions? And of course no company or organization every hired a consultant or some outside body to provide an objective view of what's going on? so if AU decides that the views of some outside sports and business executives would be helpful, that's a questionable action? :-\ JMO but the approach used by AU in this evaluation looks no different than that used by US businesses every day.

Our football hasn't done anything since 2010. Our basketball and baseball teams hasn't done much to write home about. Is everybody on the Plains under Jacobs spell? Besides, when your AD goes around and tells the football players to pray that he doesn't get fired, what does that say about the AD?

What u just said about JJ you can say about a lot of ADs in the SEC and across athletics....very few programs perform optimally in all 3 areas....AU basketball was in the toilet since Cliff left and he apparently towed the line a bit to get AU competitive, baseball if they can hold on to some of the top notch recruits could be something special, still they have shown some life in the second half of the season.....and it has nothing to do with JJ whatsoever....

Archived