New Stadium updates?

bootskii

I haven't read every page of this thread (lazy), so this may have been mentioned already, but what if we could expand the stadium enough for 10,000 additional seats, but only add 1,000-2,000 to the capacity? Maybe spread the rest of the place out a little bit? Put in some more seatbacks? I didn't mind squeezing in JH like a sardine when I was a student, but i don't really want to do that anymore.

War Eagle!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it is, we don't sell out that many games at JHS. Go back to 2010 if you need proof. We didn't sell out three home games, including the one against South Carolina. No matter what you say about Bama, they sell the place out every week no matter who their opponent is.

This is a very valid point. Think about it. Updyke, who lived on disability and rented a house on Lake Martin, somehow had enough money to buy season tickets to the home games and tickets to bowl games. I think he cut out things like bathing to find the money,

Right now Walmart Bammers are pawning the titles on their mobile homes to buy tickets to this season's home games.

The end-zone upper decks in BDS are like something out of Appalachia. Inbreds, children afflicted with rickets, illiterates, you name it. I think the ticket office at UAT accepts EBT.

And these folks are not just from Alabama. Redneck losers from a thousand miles away vicariously live through the Alabama football program. While you run into Auburn grads around the world, there are Bammers across the U.S. We are not talking grads, we are talking high school dropouts who work at Walmarts in small towns throughout the country. And many of them make the pilgrimage to BDS at least once a year. For most of the Alabama fan base, the only time they have ever set foot on a college campus is to either tailgate or attend a Bama game. Most have not seen the inside of a classroom since their teenage years. Most do not have an immediate relative who attended college.

When you ask a non-UAT grad Bammer (okay, redundant) why they are a Bama fan, the answer is because they chose to be one, kind of like why someone is a Dallas Cowboy's fan or a New York Yankees fan. When you ask a non-AU grad Auburn fan why they are an Auburn fan it is almost always because of a family connection to AU.

Excellent post. Very accurate. I really like that you are not 'putting down' the Bammers. They are people too. I have recently come to the realization that different people have different things that drive them, things that they put their energy and faith in to. There is nothing wrong with being a Bammer. We love Auburn, and they love The Bahr, The SaBahr, their Bryant-Denny pilgramage, the Wal-Mart $1.00 bin, meth, skipping their dentist appointment for the 9th year in a row, talking about 'The Barn', "Bama yard art by Elrod", and, . . . their 'Got 14?' camo hoodies. There is nothing wrong with any of these things. They are people too.

Anyway, it is for that reason I would rather not expand the stadium too soon. I do not want the riff-raff in JHS. I want people with connections to AU in the stands: Graduates, families, and those closely affiliated with AU.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some of the new flat screens that were recently installed; 97 in total throughout the concourse ...

20130829_191812.jpg

via TWER

Yay! now when i go get snacks i can tell which team is which!

Can we finally put to rest the idea that we need any expansion to our stadium. I'm all for updates and making the appearances better, but if we can't sell out an opening game that's played in primetime against a team from a respectable conference, why would anyone think we need more seats.

Can we finally put to rest the idea that we need any expansion to our stadium. I'm all for updates and making the appearances better, but if we can't sell out an opening game that's played in primetime against a team from a respectable conference, why would anyone think we need more seats.

i agree we don't need more seats and yeah Washington state is from a respectable conference. But to be frank they aren't really a respectable team (or that's what one would think before the game) and after the way we played last year I'm sure some people were hesitant to go watch us play.

I don't think anyone at AU is planning on doing anything anytime soon. Yeah they have the master plan but it won't be implemented until the demand is there. Once Gus gets everything in place and puts together a program that competes for big things every year then they will do more.

There is demand right now for 2 types of seating,

* luxury box seating (South end zone addition)

* student seating (North end zone addition)

I think we should add the luxury boxes to the South end zone now, install the 2 jumbotrons, move the current jumbotron to the other end zone, brick 3 sides of the stadium and improve the sound system. Those additions would improve the stadium 1000% and not add any general seating to the current total of 87,451.

*************** North End ***************** *************** South End *****************

image4521.pngimage4451.png

How was the upgraded sound system?

If we have a new sound system, then IMHO we didn't get our money's worth. At times it was WAY too loud and not clear. Who ever was running the sound/noise was just at the border of keeping it on during the play. Very distracting even to the fans around me.

We have a very antiquated "jumbotron". It's ashamed that from my seats on the 20 yard line on the north end that I need binoculars to even get a good view of what is on the screen - the screen/picture is so small.

Hope we spend the money on upgrades and renovations versus additional seats,

"Who ever was running the sound/noise was just at the border of keeping it on during the play." I don't like the way they play it right up to the kickoff. You can't yell "War Eagle" anymore at kickoff time...that's a tradition I don't want to go away.

How was the upgraded sound system?

If we have a new sound system, then IMHO we didn't get our money's worth. At times it was WAY too loud and not clear. Who ever was running the sound/noise was just at the border of keeping it on during the play. Very distracting even to the fans around me.

We have a very antiquated "jumbotron". It's ashamed that from my seats on the 20 yard line on the north end that I need binoculars to even get a good view of what is on the screen - the screen/picture is so small.

Hope we spend the money on upgrades and renovations versus additional seats,

upgrades to everything that is there now IS part of the overall plan that will happen with expansion.

Sound System was horrible.

Feedback, poorly run.

At times, the sound maintenance + Our cheerleading Killed the atmosphere. It was horrendous. That whole aspect of gameday needs a fresh kick and a new look. It was annoying.

au4e... New coach, new era, first game of season, no 11 am kickoff, no foul weather, No Excuses. We were 2000+ from full capacity.

AU probably would expand if everyone would show that they want it.

"Who ever was running the sound/noise was just at the border of keeping it on during the play." I don't like the way they play it right up to the kickoff. You can't yell "War Eagle" anymore at kickoff time...that's a tradition I don't want to go away.

I couldn't agree more.

exactly what I was thinking. it was confusing and ruined it. I thought the sound system sounded a little less distorted but still not great. definitely something that needs to be addressed before expansion...and I firmly endorse expansion. also, the change in hot dogs was terrible. bring back Bryan hot dogs!!! :D

Archived