New Stadium updates?

bootskii

I favor the the 4 big jumbo trons in each corner. I sit next to the student section in section 14 and sometimes its a pain to keep turning around to check stats and such on the jumbo tron. Plus the terrible sound system we have kills my ears after awhile.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I favor the the 4 big jumbo trons in each corner. I sit next to the student section in section 14 and sometimes its a pain to keep turning around to check stats and such on the jumbo tron. Plus the terrible sound system we have kills my ears after awhile.

We might have the worst PA system in all of sports

Regarding the JJ article from 247Sports ... unless I'm misinterpreting Jay's words, this is the most definitive timing I've heard to date on an expansion ...

Auburn hasn’t done a major expansion to Jordan-Hare since 1987 but big changes are in the works. Auburn completed a master plan for the Stadium in 2009 that includes upper decks on the north and south ends, additional suites and an entirely bricked-in exterior.

“We look forward to that happening in the next year or two certainly with the excitement around football and Gus Malzahn,” Jacobs said. “We’ve designed it in such a way that we can do it one piece at a time if we need to.

“Our business model is, once we get to the point, we’re very close, of selling out our Tigers Unlimited tickets, then we’ll be looking to add some additional premium seating. In the meantime, we’re going to keep enhancing our facility by funding those areas we can to increase the gameday experience.”

6_1033545.jpg

Although, it's interesting how he references 'premium seats' ... I assume this means Skyboxes/Club Level add-on row to the North End Zone ... from the sketch, general admission additional seats (i.e., an end zone upper deck) only appear present in the South End Zone ... potentially a phase 2?

That looks exactly bammer's BDS... not in favor.

IMHO, ANYTHING is better than the erector set facade we currently have on JHS. Take down those damn murals, banners, and glorified posters and spend some cash bricking up the exterior so it doesn't look so cheap.

I agree the exterior looks crappy. Only concern is how hot is it going to be walking up the ramps to the upper deck if everything is enclosed? It's already brutal.

We might have the worst PA system in all of sports

I'd rather have no PA at this point. Seems like this should be a fairly easy fix....

When we start winning and winning big (ie) national champions, we'll have to add 15,000 more seats. I don't like the 4 corners with those jumbos tv. Those 4 corners would need to be filled with seats.

+1 on the corners.

People are overlooking this part of Jacobs' statement:

"In the meantime, we’re going to keep enhancing our facility by funding those areas we can to increase the gameday experience.”

As it is, we don't sell out that many games at JHS. Go back to 2010 if you need proof. We didn't sell out three home games, including the one against South Carolina. No matter what you say about Bama, they sell the place out every week no matter who their opponent is. With attendance across college football dropping due to the TV experience being better, the only thing Jacobs should do is focus on improving the stadium like he is now with better food and bigger TVs on the concourse. I would love to see jumbotrons in the corners with our current setup (which can be easily done).

People forget that while our love for AU is big, we'll never be able to sell tickets at the rate that Bama and others do. We aren't the primary school in the state (70/30 fan split in favor of Bama for non-alumni) and many of our alums live far away from home, making it harder to sell season tickets. We also act like 87,451 is something to sneeze at. It's not.

Most recruits don't care about stadium size. See Ole Miss's recruiting class last year if you need an example. It's about the facilities and coaches. Say what you want about JJ, but he's a smart business man and this is easily the right way to go.

My first concern is refining the exterior and bricking everything that can be bricked. Auburn's campus has changed so drastically over the last 3 years. The new buildings are beautiful, and the concerted effort to unify the architectural aesthetics. That effort paid off. The campus looks so much better than it did when I was in school. It's incredible.

Unfortunately, two of the largest buildings on campus (JHS and Haley) look more out of place than they ever have. It's time to resolve that problem for the stadium. Brick the exterior, and bring it into the unified look of the campus.

I don't know how you guys can dislike the sketch... That looks like a beast spot to watch a football game while still keeping the feel of Auburn. I don't even know what I would change. The 4 Jumbotrons are vital for making the value of ALL the seats go up. Not price but value. I had the priviledge, or so I thought, to sit in the front row right behind Auburns bench. The absolute WORST seats you can imagine. I didn't see one play of the game live OR on the jumbotrons because they were blocked by cameramen on rolling tower cams. If we had had 4 in each corner those seats would have been MUCH better.

(that sounded really argumentative... it wasn't supposed to. I apologize if anyone took it that way)

Everyone should be excited about this. We're about to have the sexiest stadium in the country. Let's embrace it!

Might I add, this will be a big positive for campus. It will look A LOT better with the exterior renovations. Majority of the students walk by JHS every day that they have classes. Now it will become like eye candy.

I don't think we'll add seats right away. The trend is away from expansion, simply because people are staying home in their recliner, watching two or three games at a time on their HD 56 inch plus screen, in a controlled environment. Bricking the exterior is the logical first step, because it covers up that ugly concrete and ramps. After that, we'll take a look at more seats.

I completely agree with this!

The main reason I'd like to see expansion is to increase the student section, where demand far exceeds supply. If it were up to me, we'd put an upper deck over one end zone add a second student section on the north side, meaning the opponent has to go into the teeth of the students on each end of the field, adding to the home field advantage. The cost of such a project could be offset by adding a few levels of luxury boxes over the opposite end zone, because those are the other seats which have a high demand for tickets.

However, I like improving the exterior first, and increasing stadium capacity somewhere in the (hopefully) near future.

My first concern is refining the exterior and bricking everything that can be bricked. Auburn's campus has changed so drastically over the last 3 years. The new buildings are beautiful, and the concerted effort to unify the architectural aesthetics. That effort paid off. The campus looks so much better than it did when I was in school. It's incredible.

Unfortunately, two of the largest buildings on campus (JHS and Haley) look more out of place than they ever have. It's time to resolve that problem for the stadium. Brick the exterior, and bring it into the unified look of the campus.

Brick?, no anything besides brick. You can do wonders with hard coat stucco or stone. Brick looks like every old building at AU. The new buildings minimize brick. Now I understand nostalgia and I actually like brick when it is done right, but bricking a stadium is dumb. Unless the brick has been there for 50+ years, it shouldnt be there. Haley will be getting a make over soon I suspect.

IMHO, ANYTHING is better than the erector set facade we currently have on JHS. Take down those damn murals, banners, and glorified posters and spend some cash bricking up the exterior so it doesn't look so cheap.

I agree the exterior looks crappy. Only concern is how hot is it going to be walking up the ramps to the upper deck if everything is enclosed? It's already brutal.

The sketch show the ramps being visible. So they won't be enclosed. And since no structural steel is visible at the ramps there's no need.

The sketch show the ramps being visible. So they won't be enclosed. And since no structural steel is visible at the ramps there's no need.

Only a very small portion of the ramps will still have a view of the field without the screens obstructing the view.

Only a very small portion of the ramps will still have a view of the field without the screens obstructing the view.

That's true, the ramp folks that stand and watch the game will have fewer places to watch from in the future

That's true, the ramp folks that stand and watch the game will have fewer places to watch from in the future

Unfortunate, but the HD screens at each corner make up for that. There won't be a bad seat in the house.

I will say this, in the article it mentions how two upper decks will be added. I hope that on the south end zone they add luxurious suites instead. It is hard to tell from the rendering if it is an upper deck, or suites. Odds are that we may not go exactly by that render. I can't seem to find them anywhere online, but there was also some other company that designed an expansion for Jordan Hare with upgrades to the exterior. I was highly pleased with them; wish I could find them.

if you change the tradition of styles, brick and colors you risk having a campus with hodge-podge looks that change with whatever decade new things are added. Drive around the Tennessee campus and see what I mean. Just my opinion.

if you change the tradition of styles, brick and colors you risk having a campus with hodge-podge looks that change with whatever decade new things are added. Drive around the Tennessee campus and see what I mean. Just my opinion.

I see what your saying and somewhat agree. There is a modern style to having a brick facade with accents (glass, limestone, etc). I agree with keeping unity to the architecture around AU. There are enough arch grads that care about AU to insure we dont go the way of UT.

Every single new building on campus is brick. They have incorporated some concrete facade as well, but it all just adds pretty borders to a mostly brick exterior. Bricking up JHS will make it match the new buildings better. The problem with the old buildings is that are they entirely brick and generally just square, boring, ugly buildings. That's just an architectural choice though, has nothing to do with materials. Brick is everywhere in AU including every single building built in the last ten years.

On Haley..... I say mow it down and start over :P

I have to agree, AUSWEN. Hey douggwilliams, when was the last time you were on Auburn's campus? EVERY new building is brick. The student center? Brick. The Shelby Center? Brick. The two newest housing dorms? Brick. The Lowder building just got renovated with newer brick, and can you guess what the new wellness center is mostly made of? I'll give you one guess....

tumblr_mnrnhu5l8t1su232ro1_500.png

Improve the PA system, don't charge me an arm and a leg for concessions, improve the tvs by the concessions so if I go to get the over priced food I can tell what's going on. Seriously we have like 90's tvs by the food stands, add at least one more jumbotron. That's all I ask, and maybe it's just because I've always loved auburn and I've seen the same stadium since I was little. But personally I think the stadium is beautiful the way it is, bricks or not, and I love the banners they're an old school style of honoring former greats.

I will admit the stadium probably isn't the best looking to a unbiased person so I have no argument against any improvements

Improve the PA system, don't charge me an arm and a leg for concessions, improve the tvs by the concessions so if I go to get the over priced food I can tell what's going on. Seriously we have like 90's tvs by the food stands, add at least one more jumbotron. That's all I ask, and maybe it's just because I've always loved auburn and I've seen the same stadium since I was little. But personally I think the stadium is beautiful the way it is, bricks or not, and I love the banners they're an old school style of honoring former greats.

I will admit the stadium probably isn't the best looking to a unbiased person so I have no argument against any improvements

97 56-inch screens are being installed for this season. With that it leads me to believe that the exterior work will be done sooner rather than later. Top-notch TV's exposed in the open could get damaged with heavy winds and a mixture of water on some occasions.

I have to agree, AUSWEN. Hey douggwilliams, when was the last time you were on Auburn's campus? EVERY new building is brick. The student center? Brick. The Shelby Center? Brick. The two newest housing dorms? Brick. The Lowder building just got renovated with newer brick, and can you guess what the new wellness center is mostly made of? I'll give you one guess....

tumblr_mnrnhu5l8t1su232ro1_500.png

In the words of ellitior I covered that in my last post.

Archived