New Stadium updates?

bootskii

I'm ok with the 4 jumbos in the corners - it's not like UA is the only school that has it, and more importantly, it's logical. Everyone always says "don't worry about them, worry about us." Do that here as well. What stadium design works for us? Right now seems to me it's make it more functional and updated with current capacity. When we're selling out the non-conference directional Louisiana games regularly, then it becomes time to talk about increasing seating. Until then, keep in mind it's much more intimidating to have 86k and PACK the place than it is 95k and have empties around. Let's get the inside updated, audio updated, and I'm all about doing up the exterior in brick (someone mentioned Soldier Field at one point - GREAT IDEA).

Stop worrying about stadium wars and just play football, hoss. The rest will sort itself in time.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ok with the 4 jumbos in the corners - it's not like UA is the only school that has it, and more importantly, it's logical. Everyone always says "don't worry about them, worry about us." Do that here as well. What stadium design works for us? Right now seems to me it's make it more functional and updated with current capacity. When we're selling out the non-conference directional Louisiana games regularly, then it becomes time to talk about increasing seating. Until then, keep in mind it's much more intimidating to have 86k and PACK the place than it is 95k and have empties around. Let's get the inside updated, audio updated, and I'm all about doing up the exterior in brick (someone mentioned Soldier Field at one point - GREAT IDEA).

Stop worrying about stadium wars and just play football, hoss. The rest will sort itself in time.

Sounds like a plan to me - I'm in!

Then could I perhaps interest you in 3 rows of brand spanking new luxury boxes ? I would put them in the South end zone and incorporate a new brick entrance to go with it. That would leave open the option to enclose the North end later, however, these luxury boxes could be built in either end zone.

jhsexpanded2.jpg

Pretty sure I remember hearing that enclosing the upper deck (on either side) isn't feasible because of how much the heights of the east and west upper decks are not in line. Also seems like I remember hearing it will have to be a standalone structure, anyway, because of issues regarding the amount of weight being concentrated on one spot in the ground...something to do with an underground stream corroding the integrity of the ground underneath (but I could be off with that one, and I don't care to look it up).

I kinda like the idea posted by the OP. I'm not worried about copying UAT nearly so much as I'm worried about functionality. Also, I don't think we're going to brick the outside of the stadium (that would make it look more like we're copying UAT than anything, IMO); I suspect that the murals of Auburn greats was the school's answer to the eyesore of the concrete on the outside walls.

I kinda like the idea posted by the OP. I'm not worried about copying UAT nearly so much as I'm worried about functionality. Also, I don't think we're going to brick the outside of the stadium (that would make it look more like we're copying UAT than anything, IMO); I suspect that the murals of Auburn greats was the school's answer to the eyesore of the concrete on the outside walls.

I am NOT a fan of covering up ugly with posters, murals, banners, etc. It looks cheap and looks like we don't have the money to have nice things. We all know the money is there to do great things to JHS. Just Do It!

I am NOT a fan of covering up ugly with posters, murals, banners, etc. It looks cheap and looks like we don't have the money to have nice things. We all know the money is there to do great things to JHS. Just Do It!

Based on last year's budget the money is not there. Of course, they can borrow it at historically low rates, but recent profitability has been very slim.

Pretty sure I remember hearing that enclosing the upper deck (on either side) isn't feasible because of how much the heights of the east and west upper decks are not in line. Also seems like I remember hearing it will have to be a standalone structure, anyway, because of issues regarding the amount of weight being concentrated on one spot in the ground...something to do with an underground stream corroding the integrity of the ground underneath (but I could be off with that one, and I don't care to look it up).

I thought the different heights of east and west were the problem with BDS and that's why they couldn't bowl - but could be wrong, and like you, don't care enough to look it up.

Then could I perhaps interest you in 3 rows of brand spanking new luxury boxes ? I would put them in the South end zone and incorporate a new brick entrance to go with it. That would leave open the option to enclose the North end later, however, these luxury boxes could be built in either end zone.

jhsexpanded2.jpg

I'm ok with the luxury side on the South at the most, if there's a waiting list on the boxes we have now. I still think the most pressing issues are making the gameday experience upgraded from where we are currently, in appearance, functionality, and practicality - audio, concessions, etc. I still hold out that I think the Soldier Field idea would be cool - and agree that the murals look like a Band Aid on a bullet wound.

Why would we even consider adding thousands more seats when we don't consistently sell out at our current capacity? I think we should work on upgrading the existing facilities. If more luxury boxes are in demand think about putting some of those in, but I don't think we need more seats. And like others have said as you add seats the experience in those seats diminishes.

Regarding the jumbotrons, maybe we could leave one huge jumbotron on one side of the field, and then put in two smaller ones on the opposite corners? Does anyone have that kind of setup?

jhsexpanded2.jpg

I'm ok with the luxury side on the South at the most, if there's a waiting list on the boxes we have now. I still think the most pressing issues are making the gameday experience upgraded from where we are currently, in appearance, functionality, and practicality - audio, concessions, etc. I still hold out that I think the Soldier Field idea would be cool - and agree that the murals look like a Band Aid on a bullet wound.

Most definitely, no matter what we do as far as additions, we should upgrade the existing facilities along with it. It's crazy not to at these interest rates. The luxury boxes would be a way of meeting an existing demand and you could also put jumbo-trons in those corners. That would give you the same enclosed end zone effect and look pretty darn sharp.

Stanford took the ultimate option. They had a 85,000 seat stadium, part of which dated back to the 1920s. It had all the usual problems of maintenance and bad views of the field due to the field being surrounded by an old track area. They tore the entire thing down in 2005.

stanford-stadium-5-18-02.jpg

In 2006 they opened a new stadium costing 100 million dollars built on the same site as the old stadium. The new stadium holds 50,000 people, but would have been bigger if SF had gotten 2012 Summer Olympics.

Stanford-Stadium-e1297465243491.jpg

Baylor goes beyond that by building a new stadium at a new site for $250 million. It will have parking and shaded seating.... But it only hold 45,000, expandable to 55,000.

Baylor-stadium-new-biryds-eye-view.jpg

Un-even sides... You're thinking of BDS... The big "architecturally flawed" toilet bowl.

• 2 months later...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/1-on-1-with-Jay-Jacobs-Part-I-Auburns-building-boom-144182

I think this has been posted but I am guessing from this article that this is the final plans on what our stadium is going to look like after a couple of years

That looks exactly bammer's BDS... not in favor.

UPDATE: I just spoke to a friend (who is a bammer)... He said there was already a thread up on bol making fun of Jay Jacobs' rendering of the stadium expansions. I checked it out... and all it was, was a bunch of bammers saying we copy-cat'd their stadium.

This is why I think those particular plans are stupid. It looks identical to bds, and hopefully, we (as AU fans) want no part of it!

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/1-on-1-with-Jay-Jacobs-Part-I-Auburns-building-boom-144182

IMHO, ANYTHING is better than the erector set facade we currently have on JHS. Take down those damn murals, banners, and glorified posters and spend some cash bricking up the exterior so it doesn't look so cheap.

IMHO, ANYTHING is better than the erector set facade we currently have on JHS. Take down those damn murals, banners, and glorified posters and spend some cash bricking up the exterior so it doesn't look so cheap.

Oh, I agree 100% on the facade...

People really need to get over the "looks like BDS" thing. There is really only so much you can do with stadiums at capacities like ours and keep it entirely unique. The corners are the only logical places to have big screens so that EVERYONE can see them. It's beyond foolish to do 2 on either side of upper decks and cause a below par experience for some paying fans just so we "don't look like bammers". I said it earlier, but I'll say it again: Everyone brings up continually "Stop worrying about them and just focus on us" whenever someone brings up UA's recruiting, Saban, etc. DO. IT. HERE.

If you don't like the design that's one thing, but to not like it just because it's similar to another stadium is absurd. The big screens make sense. I like the idea someone tossed out of luxury boxes on the south end - and bowling the rest of JHS would be cool. I still stand by my earlier argument that before we expand seating without significant demand we need to look at bricking up the exterior. Let's make the place have curb appeal. Gives our team time to rebound and get to a reload rather than rebuild point, and by that point the demand will be high enough to truly warrant the seating upgrade.

The stadium is fine with me. I am a little surprised so many worry so much about the way it looks. I'm not opposed in any way to making esthetic improvements but I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if it stayed just like it is now.

I don't think we'll add seats right away. The trend is away from expansion, simply because people are staying home in their recliner, watching two or three games at a time on their HD 56 inch plus screen, in a controlled environment. Bricking the exterior is the logical first step, because it covers up that ugly concrete and ramps. After that, we'll take a look at more seats.

I don't think we'll add seats right away. The trend is away from expansion, simply because people are staying home in their recliner, watching two or three games at a time on their HD 56 inch plus screen, in a controlled environment. Bricking the exterior is the logical first step, because it covers up that ugly concrete and ramps. After that, we'll take a look at more seats.

Yeah, I don't think there's any question, with Auburn's inability to consistently fill the stadium now, that demand certainly is not there for seating expansion. The "build it and they will come" MO is pretty risky IMO.

When we start winning and winning big (ie) national champions, we'll have to add 15,000 more seats. I don't like the 4 corners with those jumbos tv. Those 4 corners would need to be filled with seats.

http://auburn.247spo...ing-boom-144182

I think this has been posted but I am guessing from this article that this is the final plans on what our stadium is going to look like after a couple of years

I saw that article and I thought the key statement from JJ was in the last 2 sentences.

"Auburn hasn’t done a major expansion to Jordan-Hare since 1987 but big changes are in the works. Auburn completed a master plan for the Stadium in 2009 that includes upper decks on the north and south ends, additional suites and an entirely bricked-in exterior."

“We look forward to that happening in the next year or two certainly with the excitement around football and Gus Malzahn. ” Jacobs said. “We’ve designed it in such a way that we can do it one piece at a time if we need to."

So do the North end exactly like their drawing, put up the 2 jumbo-trons and brick up most of the exterior. At least brick up the East, West and North sides. Let's just do it. At some later date, if you ever really want to fully enclose the North end, you will still have that option. The jumbo-trons can either be removed or left in place and incorporated into the design of the added seating.

Archived