2014 4* JUCO S Derrick Moncrief signs with AU!

ellitor

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys. Haven't been hearing much about this guy. If there's a sleeper in this class I am guessing this is it. I, for one, am extremely excited about a DB that is big, TALL, and strong. Much needed. I'm guessing star over conventional DB though. Accurate? I will go back and re-read the rest of the posts now to see if I am just regurgitating old info or thoughts. War eagle.

I for one am hoping he isn't playing Star, and if he is, I hope Therezie moves to Safety. We don't have Safeties next year. Period. Holsey is a CB moonlighting at Safety. Smith graduates. White (also a CB moonlighting at Safety) graduates.

It's Jermaine Whitehead and... um... I have no idea. Alexander worked primarily at Star this year. King bounced between Star and Safety (not really getting game reps at the latter but I understand he practiced there). You need AT LEAST three Safeties and preferably four. Either Moncrief or Therezie have to fill one of those spots.

To 54: With AU recruiting Evans at Star Moncrief is projected at general safety now.

Awesome! That's excellent news. Come on Evans!

My prediction: At 6'3" and 226 pounds, this guy goes where we need him the most and that's one of the two LB spots. DB or star is not very likely. (For starters, he's listed as a LB on the JUCO prospects list and that should be a clue right there)

Rashaan Evans: Star

Derrick Moncrief: Strong/Boundary Safety

Stephen Roberts: Free/Field Safety

:wareagle:/>

That looks pretty darn good to me. Think if we could flip a Clark or McDowell, let Roberts go between CB and S.

I'm just happy to see us getting these type athletes for the defense.....the coaches will figure out where they fit best but we sure need some guys to counter the trend toward tall WRs.

Derrick Moncrief: Strong/Boundary Safety

Stephen Roberts: Free/Field Safety

:wareagle:

Throw in Ruffin and Bessent at DB as well, and man is this shaping up to be a good class in the secondary.

Derrick Moncrief: Strong/Free/Boundary Safety

Stephen Roberts: Free/Strong/Field Safety

Edited:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/07/24108/an-xs-and-os-primer-ohio-states-defensive-back-positions

When the offense is on a hashmark, the Buckeyes' field corner, strong safety and Star go to the wide side, while the free safety and boundary corner align to the boundary.

Derrick Moncrief: Strong/Free/Boundary Safety

Stephen Roberts: Free/Strong/Field Safety

Edited:

http://www.elevenwar...-back-positions

When the offense is on a hashmark, the Buckeyes' field corner, strong safety and Star go to the wide side, while the free safety and boundary corner align to the boundary.

I may be getting my terminology confused. Whitehead is listed at Field Safety (in the AU 2-deep), and that's where I was assuming Roberts would be projected. Smith is listed at Boundary Safety, and that's where I was assuming Moncrief would be projected.

That is what I like about the DB's we are signing. They have size and great ball skills. We will be getting to the QB's next year and that should make for more INT's. It has been much better this year but we could use several more.

Archived