2013 NFL Draft

auburn4ever

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take on the guys that went undrafted (since my opinion is valued so much ;D )

Lutz: had he had the same production, or even slightly less, his senior year as his junior year he would've for sure been drafted. However, in this day and age with athletic and fast TE's coupled with his injury (his 40 times are unacceptable) he fell out of the draft.

Blake: Mel Kiper, Jr (I know, not much of a source) in the early stages of the 2011 season (right after Week 1 vs Utah State) said Emory Blake was the best junior WR prospect in the NCAA. But in actuality, he has good hands, has average speed, and has average size. Had he had the opportunity to play with a QB that could get him the damn ball he might've been a mid-late rd draft choice, but there really isn't anything about his game that screams "this is going to be a good NFL WR", there are a lot of Emory Blake's in the NCAA, unfortunately. I see him maxing out as a Ben Obomanu type in the NFL.

McCalebb: I thought he had the least chance of getting drafted as he is a one trick pony in the NFL -- Kick Returner. He doesn't possess the direction changing or cutting ability necessary to be a speed back in the NFL. He looked for the sidelines every time he touched the ball it seemed, rather than "plant and go!". He wasn't utilized enough in the passing game to showcase his catching/route running ability. Take Kenjon Barner or Lamichael James for example both were drafted and have the same game as McCalebb: undersized (in O-Mac's case his weight, and the other 2 guys their height) but fast as hell. The difference is Barner and James can run at an elite speed cut and change direction and explode for a big gain where O-Mac had elite straight ahead speed without any real chance of "making you miss".

I also feel had we had competent coaching as well as the scheme/system to fully utilize these guys' abilities this past season that they all would've been drafted in some round. Not knocking any of these guys as I will always remember Lutz's crazy catches and his dance, Blake making key catches on 3rd down, and O-Mac bursting on the scene at Auburn. They were key parts to a freaking national championship team!

Um, if Emory Blake had Ben Obomanu's career, I'd be shocked. Ben was a better player, got drafted, posted consecutive 30+ catch seasons, and still cahses NFL paychecks 7 years later. That's nothing to scoff at. If that's your floor, you're a great football player. In reality, Emory's floor is scout squad. He can make it as a solid receiver, but is he appreciably better than Courtney Taylor? CT was out of the league in 3 years.

It takes something special to stick. I mean, look at a guy like Mike Williams (the USC one). Even he would've killed for Obomanu's career and steady paychecks. 29 catches as a rookie, out of the league 2 years later, one big year and out again. I like Emory a lot. I think he can help a team. I'm just saying there are much, much worse things to be than Ben Obomanu (the most succesful, professional WR Auburn has produced since Frank Sanders).

Um, if Emory Blake had Ben Obomanu's career, I'd be shocked. Ben was a better player, got drafted, posted consecutive 30+ catch seasons, and still cahses NFL paychecks 7 years later. That's nothing to scoff at. If that's your floor, you're a great football player. In reality, Emory's floor is scout squad. He can make it as a solid receiver, but is he appreciably better than Courtney Taylor? CT was out of the league in 3 years.

It takes something special to stick. I mean, look at a guy like Mike Williams (the USC one). Even he would've killed for Obomanu's career and steady paychecks. 29 catches as a rookie, out of the league 2 years later, one big year and out again. I like Emory a lot. I think he can help a team. I'm just saying there are much, much worse things to be than Ben Obomanu (the most succesful, professional WR Auburn has produced since Frank Sanders).

Well said, I have a lot of faith in EB and hope for the best for him

Lol, I said Obomanu is Blake's ceiling, not floor.

Also its kind of unacceptable that Ben Obomanu (I was a big fan, as well as fans of Aromashodu, Mix, & Taylor) is the most successful pro WR from Auburn since early 90's.

I think that's right. But that's part of the point. Sticking in the league takes a ton of talent and continued health. Makes a seven year career a truly rare thing.

Archived