2013 NFL Draft

auburn4ever

Metafour, at times, I've considered you way too harsh, but you're debating some delusional AU fans. Lutz was a fun player to watch, but underutilized as a junior and handled with coaching malpractice prior to his injury as a senior.

Hopefully he'll find his niche in the league, but he does have a challenging injury to overcome.

I'll admit i may have some biased to Lutz and our other players [wouldn't use the term delusional :Sing: ] but I think a lot of players that have played against him and fans from other teams would agree that Lutz was better than a lot of TE's taken. Granted i have no idea the extent of his injury or his progression since then.

I am so happy to see those two at least get a chance I hope Bates and Blake both get a look somewhere else too. War Eagle all! Can't wait to see us get back to our old ways.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's healthy, Lutz is much much better than a guy like Michael Williams, for example. Williams is a completely one dimensional player that's slower than Lutz was post-surgery. If healthy, he'll make the team, and he was realistically closer to a fifth round value.

I'm most surprised by McCalebb. It's inconceivable to me that do many teams passed on a guy that can swing a game in one play. There are so few actual home run guys that can affect games with only five touches. As a returner, receiver, runner, that guy can have an impact. I'll be legitimately shocked if he's not on a roster in the fall. That was the only major surprise from the Auburn guys.

If he's healthy, Lutz is much much better than a guy like Michael Williams, for example. Williams is a completely one dimensional player that's slower than Lutz was post-surgery. If healthy, he'll make the team, and he was realistically closer to a fifth round value.

I'm most surprised by McCalebb. It's inconceivable to me that do many teams passed on a guy that can swing a game in one play. There are so few actual home run guys that can affect games with only five touches. As a returner, receiver, runner, that guy can have an impact. I'll be legitimately shocked if he's not on a roster in the fall. That was the only major surprise from the Auburn guys.

I was surprised Carolina or Philadelphia didn't give McCalebb a look over the Cam McCalebb read was vicious and the panthers could use a kick returner (which they got with Barner). And yeah with his speed and return skills I thought for sure he'd be worth a 7th round choice.

You keep saying "graded out"....graded out by whom?

Graded by the NFL at the NFL combine:

Prospects: TE Philip Lutzenkirchen

You do realize that NFL.com is only ONE of about 572156 websites that "grade" players. NFL.com has its own scouts and writers that do its grades and mock drafts just like any other legitimate website. No ONE website is the be all end all of draft grades. Grades can vary greatly from one website to another on particular players.

This is a classic case of over valuing our guys. OMac would run out of bounds at every opportunity possible, the NFL is a much faster game. Lutz decided to work out and posted 40 times from 4.94-4.98 I believe, is not a proven blocker and the NFL decided his game film didn't deserve a draft pick. He would have been better off not working out, we also do not know the medicals of his hip injury, which every NFL team does. Lutz is better off going undrafted than a late pick, he can choose his location and fit, hope for nothing but the best.

So the fisher hookup is happening st louis

Yep, and i believe that fisher will use dbates the right way and turn him into what he should have been at AU, a good to great safety!!

St. Louis had a great draft. So Lutz and Bates are going to a team on the up and up.

Drafted or not these players worked hard for Auburn and I wish them the best the NFL has to offer .. All of these guys have the heart. they just need the weight lifting program and coaching they didn't get at Auburn.. I do agree the slump is over

Drafted 1st Rd Highest Lowest Median

Bama: 9 3 9 211 99

LSU: 9 2 6 194 95

aTm: 5 1 2 174 81

UGA: 8 2 17 191 109

UF: 8 2 23 169 94.5

USC: 7 0 57 254 131.5

AU: 1 0 88 88 88

What was ol' Gene doing the last 4 years???

I'd really like to see a statement from Jay Jacobs and Gene Chizik on this issue.

They so bravely went to bat with the FACTS to debunk the Roberts/espn fiasco the past few weeks. Jacobs took the accusations point by point and provided facts to refute every single accusation being made against AU.

Now I'd like to hear what Jay & Gene have to say about the NFL draft and how Auburn University is swimming around the bottom of the conference barrel once again in getting their players drafted.

Reckon either one will step to the plate and make a comment?

I'd really like to see a statement from Jay Jacobs and Gene Chizik on this issue.

They so bravely went to bat with the FACTS to debunk the Roberts/espn fiasco the past few weeks. Jacobs took the accusations point by point and provided facts to refute every single accusation being made against AU.

Now I'd like to hear what Jay & Gene have to say about the NFL draft and how Auburn University is swimming around the bottom of the conference barrel once again in getting their players drafted.

I tried, to no avail, to make my post legible. It didnt look like that in preview.

I checked out St. Louis' web site and they currently have 4 TE's on the rooster prior to the impending signing of PL only 2 of which had any significant receptions. This might be a good opportunity for Lutz... http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/roster.html

It will. He can get tackled by and try to block Corey Lemonier twice a year now. Go Niners! WDE

I doubt if u get a response...they may just point to the crystal trophy, heisman, Lombardi award, all Americans, SEC title, undefeated bowl record, etc. not that I don't somewhat agree with your inquiry, but do you honestly think they would even consider answering your question?

You can not possibly prove that Lutz doesn't have the best hands in college football. See how that works?

Well, if he had "the best hands", he probably would have been drafted by now, even with the average at best athleticism he possesses. Apart from that, the statistical likelihood of him "having the best hands" is so small that it alone makes the statement funny.

Thats just the reality of the situation. I mean, the player that you guys are talking about had 59 career receptions in 44 games, for 628 yards. That is 1.34 receptions per game, 14 yards per game. Make all the excuses you want, the reality is that Lutzenkirchen's on-field does not come even close to matching about a dozen-plus other TE's in this draft. Then you look at him physically/athletically, and in this regard he comes up way short as well in comparison.

....and Jamarcus Russell was the #1 draft choice....and Tom Brady was closer to Mr. Irrelevant than he was the #1 pick...and Tony Mandarich...and Ryan Leaf. You obviously pay no attention to the game of football, in any way, if you think "value or worth" of a player is decided by where they are picked in the NFL draft.

Rank...170.... http://www.pennlive....oard_ranki.html

http://www.al.com/au...ike_mayock.html

Seems people who do this for a living need to call you, in regards to player ratings.

Did you really just need to tell me that sometimes teams get it wrong? Bro, I follow the draft religiously. I'm not some AU fan that watches AU, and then pretends that every half-decent AU player is surely among the best players nationally at his position.

32 NFL teams have concluded that Lutzenkirchen is a 7th round, or Undrafted Free Agent talent. Is there a statistical likelihood that he somehow becomes the best TE in this draft? Sure...but there is also about an equal likelihood of me finding $100,000 tomorrow on the street.

Eagle 10, don't argue with this tool. When Fairley was drafted he argued just as angrily that Detroit's NOT a bad franchise to play for if you want post season action. And for some reason he has a half dozen flunkies on this board that sniff his rank undies.

Archived