2013 NFL Draft

auburn4ever

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get that logic. He has the best hands of any TE, and maybe any WR, in the draft.

Really, LOL? How can you seriously make that statement when you know for a fact that you have not seen 95% of these players drafted ever play? The problem is that some of you live in a vacuum in which Auburn and a few other SEC schools are the only teams in the country, then you pretend like every "good" Auburn player is somehow a shoe-in for the NFL. Guys like Lutzenkirchen, Blake...they are good collegiate players...do you realize how many "good" players there are all around the country? Playing for teams you have literally never seen play?

You can not possibly quantify or prove that Lutzenkirchen "has the best hands". Tyler Eifert, the #1 TE drafted, had 50 receptions this past season alone. That is 9 less than Lutz had in his ENTIRE career. Last season he had 63 for 800 yards...thats nearly 200 yards more than Lutz had in his ENTIRE career. Zach Ertz had 69 receptions for 900 yards. Etc. etc.

The reality is that Blake, Lutz, etc. are nowhere near as good as AU fans perceive them to be. Obviously, this is the natural bias of fandom.

Hands battle aside Lutz is graded out higher than 8 players that have been drafted at the Tight End position and even with his injury he is worth a 7th round pick over the no names currently being drafted as teams are taking pot shots in the 7th round i am surprised no one has taken a chance on him yet. And if you want to compare reception stats clearly you are just trying to discredit Lutz to be rude. He spent his entire Junior season as a full back and hasn't had a quarterback with a pulse since Cam in his Sophomore year, and comparing him to the Notre Dame TE they are quite similar the big difference being Eifert was the leading receiver and targeted way more than Lutz ever was. Not to mention with KF as QB the times he was targeted he had to make a ridiculous grab just to get the ball.

You can not possibly prove that Lutz doesn't have the best hands in college football. See how that works?

Well, if he had "the best hands", he probably would have been drafted by now, even with the average at best athleticism he possesses. Apart from that, the statistical likelihood of him "having the best hands" is so small that it alone makes the statement funny.

Thats just the reality of the situation. I mean, the player that you guys are talking about had 59 career receptions in 44 games, for 628 yards. That is 1.34 receptions per game, 14 yards per game. Make all the excuses you want, the reality is that Lutzenkirchen's on-field does not come even close to matching about a dozen-plus other TE's in this draft. Then you look at him physically/athletically, and in this regard he comes up way short as well in comparison.

Hands battle aside Lutz is graded out higher than 8 players that have been drafted at the Tight End position

You keep saying "graded out"....graded out by whom? An internet source? Surely you understand that there are 32 NFL teams, all of whom do their own evaluations, and then make their selections according to those "grades". There is not some magical big-board of names that all teams pick and choose off of. Surely it should be obvious by now that what 'X' internet draft expert grades a player out as has absolutely zero correlation with what actual NFL front-offices haave players graded as. If you are going by what so-and-so graded out as, then Geno Smith would have been a Top 10 pick, and not a 2nd rounder and the second quarterback drafted.

You can not possibly prove that Lutz doesn't have the best hands in college football. See how that works?

Well, if he had "the best hands", he probably would have been drafted by now, even with the average at best athleticism he possesses. Apart from that, the statistical likelihood of him "having the best hands" is so small that it alone makes the statement funny.

Thats just the reality of the situation. I mean, the player that you guys are talking about had 59 career receptions in 44 games, for 628 yards. That is 1.34 receptions per game, 14 yards per game. Make all the excuses you want, the reality is that Lutzenkirchen's on-field does not come even close to matching about a dozen-plus other TE's in this draft. Then you look at him physically/athletically, and in this regard he comes up way short as well in comparison.

....and Jamarcus Russell was the #1 draft choice....and Tom Brady was closer to Mr. Irrelevant than he was the #1 pick...and Tony Mandarich...and Ryan Leaf. You obviously pay no attention to the game of football, in any way, if you think "value or worth" of a player is decided by where they are picked in the NFL draft.

Rank...170.... http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/2013_nfl_draft_big_board_ranki.html

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/nfl_draft_analyst_mike_mayock.html

Seems people who do this for a living need to call you, in regards to player ratings.

I don't get that logic. He has the best hands of any TE, and maybe any WR, in the draft.

Really, LOL? How can you seriously make that statement when you know for a fact that you have not seen 95% of these players drafted ever play? The problem is that some of you live in a vacuum in which Auburn and a few other SEC schools are the only teams in the country, then you pretend like every "good" Auburn player is somehow a shoe-in for the NFL. Guys like Lutzenkirchen, Blake...they are good collegiate players...do you realize how many "good" players there are all around the country? Playing for teams you have literally never seen play?

You can not possibly quantify or prove that Lutzenkirchen "has the best hands". Tyler Eifert, the #1 TE drafted, had 50 receptions this past season alone. That is 9 less than Lutz had in his ENTIRE career. Last season he had 63 for 800 yards...thats nearly 200 yards more than Lutz had in his ENTIRE career. Zach Ertz had 69 receptions for 900 yards. Etc. etc.

The reality is that Blake, Lutz, etc. are nowhere near as good as AU fans perceive them to be. Obviously, this is the natural bias of fandom.

Hands battle aside Lutz is graded out higher than 8 players that have been drafted at the Tight End position and even with his injury he is worth a 7th round pick over the no names currently being drafted as teams are taking pot shots in the 7th round i am surprised no one has taken a chance on him yet. And if you want to compare reception stats clearly you are just trying to discredit Lutz to be rude. He spent his entire Junior season as a full back and hasn't had a quarterback with a pulse since Cam in his Sophomore year, and comparing him to the Notre Dame TE they are quite similar the big difference being Eifert was the leading receiver and targeted way more than Lutz ever was. Not to mention with KF as QB the times he was targeted he had to make a ridiculous grab just to get the ball.

Why draft him when you can get him as an invite. Better for Lutz also. He will probably get several invites and he can pick the one best for him. If he's drafted he is tied to one team.

....and Jamarcus Russell was the #1 draft choice....and Tom Brady was closer to Mr. Irrelevant than he was the #1 pick...and Tony Mandarich...and Ryan Leaf. You obviously pay no attention to the game of football, in any way, if you think "value or worth" of a player is decided by where they are picked in the NFL draft.

Rank...170.... http://www.pennlive....oard_ranki.html

http://www.al.com/au...ike_mayock.html

Seems people who do this for a living need to call you, in regards to player ratings.

Did you really just need to tell me that sometimes teams get it wrong? Bro, I follow the draft religiously. I'm not some AU fan that watches AU, and then pretends that every half-decent AU player is surely among the best players nationally at his position.

32 NFL teams have concluded that Lutzenkirchen is a 7th round, or Undrafted Free Agent talent. Is there a statistical likelihood that he somehow becomes the best TE in this draft? Sure...but there is also about an equal likelihood of me finding $100,000 tomorrow on the street.

Rank...170.... http://www.pennlive....oard_ranki.html

http://www.al.com/au...ike_mayock.html

Did you really just need to tell me that sometimes teams get it wrong? Bro, I follow the draft religiously. I'm not some AU fan that watches AU, and then pretends that every half-decent AU player is surely among the best players nationally at his position.

32 NFL teams have concluded that Lutzenkirchen is a 7th round, or Undrafted Free Agent talent. Is there a statistical likelihood that he somehow becomes the best TE in this draft? Sure...but there is also about an equal likelihood of me finding $100,000 tomorrow on the street.

You have showed your ignorance long enough for my take. I am through with you.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/philip-lutzenkirchen?id=2539204

what youre seeing today is the result of lack of player progression

recruiting stars =/= draft stock

its a shame but i expected this, i did expect McCalebb to go around the 5th/6th round off his speed alone though

Both Blake and Lutz likely would have gone between the 3rd and 5th rounds had they come out last year. A disastrous OC hire for this group of players plus an injury changed a lot.

Philip Lutzenkirchen ‏@lutzenkirchen

Hard 2believe there wer 15+ te's and 255+ players better than me but hey God has a plan for me and I'm proud to get a shot with@STLouisRams

Joel A. Erickson ‏@JoelAEricksonAU

Rams did not draft a tight end.

Philip Lutzenkirchen will sign with the St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent, per his agent

Auburn only had 1 player drafted in this year's draft, Corey Lemonier. We only had 1 player drafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, Brandon Mosley.

Something is wrong when Miss. State and Vanderbilt have more players get drafted than we do.

I looked back and even after Auburn went 5-7 in 2008, we still had 3 players drafted in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Auburn only had 1 player drafted in this year's draft, Corey Lemonier. We only had 1 player drafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, Brandon Mosley.

Something is wrong when Miss. State and Vanderbilt have more players get drafted than we do.

I looked back and even after Auburn went 5-7 in 2008, we still had 3 players drafted in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Very sad! Like i said before,this was the worst coaching performance i have ever seen at AU

Justin Hokanson @JHokanson

#Auburn RB Onterio McCalebb agrees to free agent deal with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Hey guys, I am a happy Bengals fan after finding out that Cincy has signed both Onterrio and John Sullen. Who Dey and WDE!

Hands battle aside Lutz is graded out higher than 8 players that have been drafted at the Tight End position

You keep saying "graded out"....graded out by whom? An internet source? Surely you understand that there are 32 NFL teams, all of whom do their own evaluations, and then make their selections according to those "grades". There is not some magical big-board of names that all teams pick and choose off of. Surely it should be obvious by now that what 'X' internet draft expert grades a player out as has absolutely zero correlation with what actual NFL front-offices haave players graded as. If you are going by what so-and-so graded out as, then Geno Smith would have been a Top 10 pick, and not a 2nd rounder and the second quarterback drafted.

He is probably referring to graded out as in the NFL's own website for the draft. You might want to check it out. I would think a person who follows the draft as "religiously" as you (as you said in a post to WE10) would already know that. Now to your point on receptions.

Receptions are a function of the number of chances, which is a function of the type of offense, which is a function of the use of the TE as a receiver in that offense, which is a function of the quality of the QB. As an example, two TEs have equal "hands" but one gets 75 chances with 60 receptions in a HUNH offense and the other gets 30 chances with 25 receptions in a run dominant offense. Did the TE with the most receptions suddenly get better hands than the other TE ? Uhh, no.

Now you may be right when you didn't agree with WE10 that Lutz has the best hands, but you are going to have to use something other than total receptions to make the point valid. My guess is that Lutz had 10 tight ends taken in front of him, that graded out lower on the NFL's own Draft Central website, because something showed up on one of the team's physicals. Something like not being 100% on his hip yet. It surely had nothing to do with his hands, which any football person will tell you are excellent.

@deafsirk3

New Auburn Co-OC Dameyune Craig coached EJ Manuel at Florida State. He was drafted in first round by Buffalo Bills. http://pic.twitter.com/XHrDHJ3IEI

https://twitter.com/...310899448348672

New Auburn DL Coach Rodney Garner coached Jarvis Jones at UGA. He was drafted in first round by Pittsburgh Steelers. http://pic.twitter.com/UGUJSsoTQv

https://twitter.com/...309818383278080

Metafour, at times, I've considered you way too harsh, but you're debating some delusional AU fans. Lutz was a fun player to watch, but underutilized as a junior and handled with coaching malpractice prior to his injury as a senior.

Hopefully he'll find his niche in the league, but he does have a challenging injury to overcome.

Archived