2013 Spring Practice - Day 14

RunInRed

Note, this practice replaces the cancelled practice, Monday, April 8 (Practice #8). Complete 2013 Spring Practice schedule and coverage is available here.

Also note, practice coverage seems a bit limited today due to focus on removal of the Oaks.

First, morning interviews with Gus and the Coordinators (mostly A-Day debrief) ...

Gus Malzahn's Auburn A-Day review: "I felt like Cameron Artis-Payne obviously had some hard-nosed runs."

Tuesday was Auburn's last practice in pads. The Tigers will wrap up the spring Wednesday with a teaching session.

Malzahn on his quarterbacks at A-Day: "It was very close as far as grading out."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on A-Day: "It's a work in progress in being consistent."

Lashlee on which QB will top the depth chart: "Right now, it's an either-or deal."

Lashlee on QB race: "There's not a lot of separation. These are not the kinds of things we're going to rush."

Lashlee on speedy tailback Corey Grant: "He's our home run guy."

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on improved tackling this spring: "We definitely put a focus on it."

Johnson praises cornerback play, again.

Johnson says Kris Frost leads at Mike linebacker.

Johnson says JaViere Mitchell has a chance to win a spot at linebacker, though he lost time this spring with a concussion.

Johnson is short on safeties: "Biggest problem we have on the depth chart… We're very thin."

Johnson on LB Kris Frost: "Kris, physically, has all the tools. The thing he's lacking right now is consistency."

ohnson on spring defensive winners: Dee Ford, Justin Garrett, Jermaine Whitehead and four cornerbacks.

@AUGoldMine

Ellis Johnson wanted to get more work in Auburn's dime package with the two Stars. Says Star players better suited to zone, blitz responsibilities

Johnson thinks Justin Garrett is "perfect" at the position, says Therezie needs more work, but looks "tailor-made" for it.

Johnson calls the "Star" position the bright spot this spring because Garrett, Therezie have emerged. Very important position.

Johnson: "Kris Frost physically has all the tools. ... What he's lacking right now is consistency." Says he still makes some bad calls

Johnson says no player has really separated themselves at defensive tackle, linebacker has been hot and cold, lack of depth at safety

Johnson: "Biggest improvements the corners were made in picking up the scheme. ... From Day 1, tackling and cover skills were pretty good."

Johnson points out Auburn didn't have a lot of problems with injuries, weather concerns. "We got a lot done."

Johnson says he thought Jermaine Whitehead had a great spring. "Without question the brightest spot at safety."

Dee Ford's "the only pass-rusher who's given us the kind of pass rush we need to be successful in this league."

Johnson alludes to Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel having the pass-rush skills, thinks both have a chance to play a role early.

Jonathan Jones had "an outstanding spring," says Holsey played so well that Tigers could start training him at safety, too.

Rhett Lashlee: "Obviously, the first thing, how 'bout the fans." Said he looked up in the third quarter and was kind of overwhelmed.

Lashlee: "You've got to clean up turnovers."

Lashlee was proud of the way his offense responded after an ugly start.

Lashlee says he rotated Frazier and Wallace evenly with the two teams, both did good and bad.

There's not a lot of separation coming out of spring. ... Right now, at quarterback, it's an either/or for the quarterbacks.

Lashlee kept things rotating as even as possible. For one scrimmage, he had the QBs guess his birthday to see who was going to start.

Lashlee says the delay of game was on him, "got into a chess match" with the defense and ran out of time.

Lashlee: "I'm not going to tell you what ran through my head (on Wallace's interception) but I wasn't real happy."

Clear that Auburn's coaches were pleased with the effort and energy in today's live portion of practice.

Lashlee: "You look at Sammie Coates, he made some plays the other day, but he's got to keep coming."

Lashlee says Jaylon Denson "made the catch of the spring" in the second scrimmage. Wants receivers to make a big jump.

Lashlee says Mason "has to get a lot better in all the other areas, when he doesn't have the football."

Cameron Artis-Payne "was probably the most consistent back in pass protection."

Lashlee clearly likes Mason's versatility with the ball, does a good job catching the ball, has to get better without the ball.

Lashlee pretty frank on offensive line: "We got a lot better. At the beginning of the spring, we weren't running it very well."

Lashlee says Dmitri Reese is OK, no major issues after taking huge hit.

@JoelAEricksonAU

"We'd like to keep Josh (Holsey) where he is, but we may not have that luxury," Johnson says. JH, a CB, working at safety b/c of depth.

@bmarcello

Ellis Johnson: DE Dee Ford, CBs Chris Davis & Jonathon Mincy have "established themselves" as starters.

@wareagleextra

Both Malzahn, Johnson mention the S position being thin, needing newcomers. Hello Khari Harding, Mackenro Alexander and Brandon King.

Glad Javy Mitchell is finally finding his home. Watched him play all over the field through high school helping his team. Bright future.

@JHokanson

Good to see Frost leading at Mike, as well as Javi pushing for the other linebacker spot. I think Cass wins out, but Javi sees a lot of playing time this fall. War Eagle!

It's not hard to translate Rhett at all.

Rhett on QBs: I can't wait for NM & JJ to arrive!

Rhett on Grant: He's a beast! Thank GOD we have 3 good RBs. If NM is consistent and accurate we're in business!

We're all anxious about QB. But that made me very anxious about the middle of the defense. We gotta have disruptive tackles, solid LBs, and forceful safeties. Wondering if Therezie might double-dip with some safety, but that might be asking a lot.

Loving Dee Ford. Loving the RB position. Hopeful with the OL and at receiver. Loving our situation at TE, and thrilled Coach Johnson is happy at corner.

Any news on "Meat"?

Ellis Johnson, on Demetruce McNeal: "He's done everything he's got to do," but still some things to clear up. He hopes McNeal will be back.

@bmarcello

The Tigers did it again Tuesday in full pads and "got after it," said coach Gus Malzahn. But even Tuesday's work won't wrap up the spring. The Tigers will do that in another practice Wednesday.

Auburn, the last team to begin spring practice in the SEC, will be the last to finish it as well.

Via AUGoldMine

The Tigers did it again Tuesday in full pads and "got after it," said coach Gus Malzahn. But even Tuesday's work won't wrap up the spring. The Tigers will do that in another practice Wednesday.

Auburn, the last team to begin spring practice in the SEC, will be the last to finish it as well.

Via AUGoldMine

Just a guess, but I would be willing to bet this isn't the case next spring. Any takers?

Chizik and Tuberville both had full contact scrimmages after A-day that were considered to be the "real" scrimmages with no holding back.

Glad to hear that the guys didn't get lazy after the A-Day game and instead are getting after it. RunInRed, thank you for all the time and effort that you put in keeping us updated, I think I speak for everyone when I say it is much appreciated.

Glad to hear that the guys didn't get lazy after the A-Day game and instead are getting after it. RunInRed, thank you for all the time and effort that you put in keeping us updated, I think I speak for everyone when I say it is much appreciated.

++10000000 has been great to come to this thread daily and get all the info. thank you so much! WDE

Could not have said it better myself!

+1

++10000000 has been great to come to this thread daily and get all the info. thank you so much! WDE

No doubt. RIR has been the man with these threads and it is very much appreciated.

wde

One more time, thank you RIR, I would come here before the "Pay-sites" for pics and quotes . WDE!

Without a doubt the best coverage of the football team, and he/she does it (most of the time) without any recognition.

Thanks for the kind word guys ... and more importantly thank you for your patronage of this site. The only favor I would ask in return is to tell your friends about AUFAMILY to continue to help us grow!

Oh... and if you're not already following us on FB/Twitter, these links are your friends ... ;)

facebook.com/AUFAMILY

@AUFAMILY

lol, when it happened I said, "at least we're hitting someone". I never had a problem with the hit in the first place. Obviously I don't want anyone to get hurt, but A few years ago before all the new rules we would have gone nuts for that hit and not thought twice about it. When a receiver gets hung out to dry, he gets clobbered. That's the way the game used to be played before it got so soft. I'm all for players being safer, but at the same time, this is freakin football.

"Johnson: "Biggest improvements the corners were made in picking up the scheme. ... From Day 1, tackling and cover skills were pretty good.""

From Day 1? Wow, what did they do over the Winter to change from last Fall?

IMO it's pretty clear both Malzahn and Lashlee have a very low tolerance level for QB interceptions and for those believing Nick Marshall will be the answer, his MO at QB is having more int.s than TD's. And JJ probably isn't shaving yet.

"Johnson: "Biggest improvements the corners were made in picking up the scheme. ... From Day 1, tackling and cover skills were pretty good.""

IMO it's pretty clear both Malzahn and Lashlee have a very low tolerance level for QB interceptions and for those believing Nick Marshall will be the answer, his MO at QB is having more int.s than TD's. And JJ probably isn't shaving yet.

............not play 10-12 yards off the receiver.

I just don't think they would bring NM in without thinking he was/is a legitmate candidate to win the starting job. I am not saying he is a shoe in but I believe he actually has a leg up on the othe

I just don't think they would bring NM in without thinking he was/is a legitmate candidate to win the starting job. I am not saying he is a shoe in but I believe he actually has a leg up on the othe

Oh, he will start, make no mistake. Maybe not at QB but he will start.

Oh, he will start, make no mistake. Maybe not at QB but he will start.

Didn't Nick Marshall play safety at Georgia or whereever he started out? We need help at safety, we need help at QB, I think they may find a place for him somewhere.

Archived