Chizik Speaks

RunInRed

Among other things, Coach Chizik guided our Auburn Tigers to a national championship under the most difficult of circumstances and he did it while playing within the rules.. No matter what happened in the following two seasons, we Auburn folks will always and forever owe him for that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Enigma" is an understatement. What turned a Miss St issue into an Auburn issue and the legs that notion got in the national media is so bizarre I've often wondered why nobody seems to have investigated who was driving non-Bammers like Shad to put their shady careers on the line. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to ponder whether kickbacks were made to the folks that buy ink by the barrel.

Now re this interview. It's about time Auburn reps & key characters c. 2010 are finally firing back. But this is a head scratcher IMHO:

"Chizik says less than 10 percent of team failed spice test: "That's a far cry from the 50 percent allegation that's out there.""

Remind me, when spice was legal in Alabama and with the NCAA there was no test available to test for it, right? By the time we were testing for spice it was illegal, correct?

Now re this interview. It's about time Auburn reps & key characters c. 2010 are finally firing back. But this is a head scratcher IMHO:

"Chizik says less than 10 percent of team failed spice test: "That's a far cry from the 50 percent allegation that's out there.""

Remind me, when spice was legal in Alabama and with the NCAA there was no test available to test for it, right? By the time we were testing for spice it was illegal, correct?

I don't believe that is the case - my understanding of the timeline

Jan 2011 test available Auburn begins testing but without penalties as it is not part of the drug policy

Mar 2011 Spice added to Auburn Athletics drug policy with penalties to begin Aug 2011 (next school year)

Aug 2011 NCAA bans spice

Oct 2011 Alabama bans spice

The confusing part is there is a period (Jan-Mar) where we tested but could do essentially nothing (other than education/counseling), a period where we could notify parents but not penalize (Mar-Aug), and then a period where we could penalize.

Jan 2011 test available Auburn begins testing but without penalties as it is not part of the drug policy

Mar 2011 Spice added to Auburn Athletics drug policy with penalties to begin Aug 2011 (next school year)

Aug 2011 NCAA bans spice

The confusing part is there is a period (Jan-Mar) where we tested but could do essentially nothing (other than education/counseling), a period where we could notify parents but not penalize (Mar-Aug), and then a period where we could penalize.

You are correct on the dates. Even Chizik mispoke in that interview on the year (he said '10) when spice became illegal in the State of Alabama. It was Oct '11 as you correctly say.

Aug 2011 NCAA bans spice

You are correct on the dates. Even Chizik mispoke in that interview on the year (he said '10) when spice became illegal in the State of Alabama. It was Oct '11 as you correctly say.

Keeping those dates straight is extremely difficult and the whole interconnection of what is legal and what is banned by the states, member schools and the NCAA makes it more so.

Alcohol, Caffeine and Nicotine are legal substances, are not banned, but are not good for you in large amounts. Substance abuse and illegal substance use are not always the same.

Chizik: If everybody in journalism was measured by what they did on 12 Saturdays, it'd be really interesting to see what their record would be.

Best line right here

Chizik: If everybody in journalism was measured by what they did on 12 Saturdays, it'd be really interesting to see what their record would be.

Best line right here

That would be a difficult test for anyone to stand up against. Especially when you control very little of what happens on those days. You are essentially giving 85 young men and several coaches direction on how they are to act/not act on those 12 days. What they do determines your fate. And, Oh by the way, if they mess up any other day it comes down on you as well. But that is leadership and it is what he signed on for. he realizes that and has handled the whole deal with pure class.

Loving those tweets. Still grateful to Coach Chizik. IMO....

2009 is a disaster without him and his staff

2010 doesn't happen without him and his staff

2011 was a relative success, but there were some troubling signs

2012 has a lot to do with him too.

Sometimes a person is perfect for some things and maybe not so perfect for others.

Archived